OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2314, 2315, 2316 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Why bump that, LilJay? It's like some of you guys want the BS and drama. I just wanna talk about D'Angelo Russell in a somewhat reasonable fashion, which I realize is next to impossible.

My bad, I was going through and deleting old bookmarked pages and I came across a Spurs game thread started by Dave which lead me to that post.

I probably shouldn't have bumped it, won't happen again lol
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Why bump that, LilJay? It's like some of you guys want the BS and drama. I just wanna talk about D'Angelo Russell in a somewhat reasonable fashion, which I realize is next to impossible.

So true GT.. Like I said, adult intellect with raging adolescent emotions. I see it on both sides.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
This dude REALLY called Drifts a realist

I know right... it's pretty obvious, you and your ilk are the only realist alive in this whole wide world. so stop making a fool of yourself.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

All that salt is bad for your heart.

!...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

My bad, I was going through and deleting old bookmarked pages and I came across a Spurs game thread started by Dave which lead me to that post.

I probably shouldn't have bumped it, won't happen again lol

I deleted it, guys. No need to rehash the meltdown.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
The Logo wrote:

I know right... it's pretty obvious, you and your ilk are the only realist alive in this whole wide world. so stop making a fool of yourself.

Let's keep the talk about others down. Thanks guys.
vdogg11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
vdogg11 wrote:
Sina wrote:
nash wrote:
The Logo wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Maybe we should have two threads for Laker personnel. One where you only say nice things. The other where you're allowed to offer critiques. smh

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=175817

P&M is not the same as criticizing specific points of a player you think makes your team better

Dlo is one of our best players, no question about that.

Agreed. Look at John Wall of Wizards. He has been focusing on setting up the team before he finally showcases his scoring skills. It's a different approach as compare to other great PG like Rose and Lilard. I think Dlo is following Wall's method by developing himself in setting up team offense first. The shooting touch is there. I have reason to question his scoring potential.

Hope Ingram can fill a role like Beal and form the skeleton wiith Dlo of us.
Comparing with Wizards duo:

Wall: set up offense, defense and score at big time
Beal: score, defense, and set up offense sometimes

Dlo: set up offense, score and defense
Ingram: score, defense and set up offense something

Conditioning wise, our duo are still very weak.

I personally don't see ingram as "beal". we need another SG prospect to fill that role -- a 3 and D marksman. terrance ferguson from this draft would be that type of player.

I see dlo as beal we need a wall

disagree. dlo needs the ball in his hands. he's not a SG like beal, peeling off of screens and firing. his court vision is better than beal's, but he's not as good of a shooter as beal (yet).
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Drifts wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Let's keep the talk about others down. Thanks guys.

DB modding this thread like

Sit down
Be humble

Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

so going back to DLO, my ideal off season for him would be him:

focusing on becoming the best athlete and being in the best shape of his life. Get your knee healthy, hit the weight room, eat healthy and prove yourself even more.

In terms of basketball I want him to improve his jump shot from all areas and become more consistent. He can't be this inconsistent in his shooting and become a star, and he also needs to work on finishing in the paint.

If he's in the best shape of his life and he works on those areas of his game I think he can become a lethal score. That will open up the floor so much for him and he can start showing the passing potential that he came into the league being known for.

In my opinion, Luke's vision of how DLO should play is wrong. Luke wants DLO to play as a traditional point guard trying to balance scoring and passing but I think DLO needs to have a score first mentality because that's when his passing game shines. Think about the hot streaks DLO has had this season and add a consistent jumper and the ability to finish in the paint with him not having to worry about what Luke thinks. He would attract double teams and find the right guys and get the whole team going.

I want Luke to be our long term coach and I know his system should be a top priority but he has to learn to adapt his game plan to his players' best skills. He has to cut out that bullsh*t egalitarian system and give his best assets 33 minutes and play them to their strengths. Either they'll become good enough or they won't be but we won't find out with this system.
romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

offensively, dlo with an clean look is deadly. keep him running off screens for catch and shoot opportunities curry style. if he has the ball im ok with posting up smaller, weaker guards for a fade, drawing a foul, or looking for cutters. if hes running a pick n roll, an open shot or midrange with the guard on his hip has been solid.

id have him work on calling plays, finding mismatches, tightening his dribble with hesitancy moves, post entry passes, and finishing drives to the basket. id have randle or ingram bring the ball up court more
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I don't know what DAR has to do to prove the legitimacy of his talent. I think fans are just more convinced of Ingram because of the eye test, rather than the well-rounded numbers that DAR puts up across the board (and beats out Ingram) except for rebounds and swats.

Put up those numbers for another team, so then we can pine over his numbers.

This is the correct answer.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

The kid is our best prospect at the moment, I hope we get a legit two way star if he is traded.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:

focusing on becoming the best athlete and being in the best shape of his life. Get your knee healthy, hit the weight room, eat healthy and prove yourself even more.

In terms of basketball I want him to improve his jump shot from all areas and become more consistent. He can't be this inconsistent in his shooting and become a star, and he also needs to work on finishing in the paint.

If he's in the best shape of his life and he works on those areas of his game I think he can become a lethal score. That will open up the floor so much for him and he can start showing the passing potential that he came into the league being known for.

In my opinion, Luke's vision of how DLO should play is wrong. Luke wants DLO to play as a traditional point guard trying to balance scoring and passing but I think DLO needs to have a score first mentality because that's when his passing game shines. Think about the hot streaks DLO has had this season and add a consistent jumper and the ability to finish in the paint with him not having to worry about what Luke thinks. He would attract double teams and find the right guys and get the whole team going.

I want Luke to be our long term coach and I know his system should be a top priority but he has to learn to adapt his game plan to his players' best skills. He has to cut out that bullsh*t egalitarian system and give his best assets 33 minutes and play them to their strengths. Either they'll become good enough or they won't be but we won't find out with this system.

I don't get the sense that Luke is limiting him at all. Everything I've heard come out of Luke's mouth and all the players is that Luke wants them to shoot when they are open and pass when they are not.
I think Dlo's inconsistency had a lot more to do with his own learning curve and the teams learning curve when it comes to the offensive sets. As the lead guard he does need to help manage touches for the other players a bit, but I don't think that constitutes Luke telling him to pass more or something. I feel like after a full season of playing in Luke's system the whole team will probably look much better next season and Dlo may be one of the biggest beneficiaries of that improvement. He could put up some big numbers if everyone is on the same page next year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

DoubleClutch wrote:
LilJay24 wrote:

I don't get the sense that Luke is limiting him at all. Everything I've heard come out of Luke's mouth and all the players is that Luke wants them to shoot when they are open and pass when they are not.
I think Dlo's inconsistency had a lot more to do with his own learning curve and the teams learning curve when it comes to the offensive sets. As the lead guard he does need to help manage touches for the other players a bit, but I don't think that constitutes Luke telling him to pass more or something. I feel like after a full season of playing in Luke's system the whole team will probably look much better next season and Dlo may be one of the biggest beneficiaries of that improvement. He could put up some big numbers if everyone is on the same page next year.

He went from a Byron iso-heavy system (with Kobe/JC/Lou iso-ing a bit last season) to Luke's system. Quite a difference in one year.
Haterade
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

DoubleClutch wrote:

I don't feel Luke is limiting him either. He obviously doesn't want him to go full Lou and call for a high screen to shoot a 3 off of every time. But when he starts games not looking to score at all, that's probably self-imposed. Balancing your scoring and getting teammates going is a difficult job, especially for a young guard. He's also a rhythm player offensively. If he's got it going, he basically can't miss. But he's still young and inconsistent enough that he can't get himself going easily while managing everyone else's touches. The lack of another competent half-court ball-handler/playmaker for most of the season meant he tended to balance the two well when he was just feeling it that day.

Last edited by Haterade on Mon May 01, 2017 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

I think the surrounding personnel was more detrimental to Russell (on an individual basis, anyway) than Luke was. Playing that much alongside Nick Young basically dictated that he had to be more of a pure PG than he actually is.

But to Luke's credit, he found a starting lineup that was very productive, even if Russell had to sublimate some of his game to make it work.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I think the surrounding personnel was more detrimental to Russell (on an individual basis, anyway) than Luke was. Playing that much alongside Nick Young basically dictated that he had to be more of a pure PG than he actually is.

But to Luke's credit, he found a starting lineup that was very productive, even if Russell had to sublimate some of his game to make it work.

Yeah, a big key next year is not to balkanize his units though.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

kumbaya....
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

So let's say in a perfect world that we could bring in either a star point guard or a star shooting guard. Which would help DLO more offensively?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
So let's say in a perfect world that we could bring in either a star point guard or a star shooting guard. Which would help DLO more offensively?

Just to give some names:

Lillard + DLO or

DLO + Klay
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

PG
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

PG

Paul George?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

PG

Is Fultz a PG or SG in the sense of how you used the term PG? Ball?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

PG

Thanks, I don't feel qualified enough to see where the better fit would be.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Having someone else that could playmake some for him (in addition to spacing the floor) would help a lot. Russell's much better as a catch-and-shoot three shooter and is one of our best at moving off ball. He and Kobe were developing a little bit of chemistry his rookie year because Kobe could find him cutting off ball. We didn't have a lot of that this year, so his off ball game was pretty limited.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2314, 2315, 2316 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next
Page 2315 of 2856
Jump to: