Does Luke Regret leaving GSW?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Nah, luke strikes me as the type who wants to be considered as an all-time laker great by bringing championships back to LA. He seems like a laker for life imo.

You guys are over thinking this. Pretty sure Luke freaking Walton doesn't have his eye on being an all time Laker great. Assistants want to be Head Coaches. We were the first team to offer him that position, and the significant pay raise that goes with it.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Nah, luke strikes me as the type who wants to be considered as an all-time laker great by bringing championships back to LA. He seems like a laker for life imo.

You guys are over thinking this. Pretty sure Luke freaking Walton doesn't have his eye on being an all time Laker great. Assistants want to be Head Coaches. We were the first team to offer him that position, and the significant pay raise that goes with it.

Assistants also don't always take a job if they don't think it's a good one, much like free agents not coming here. It was a 17 win team, he had people telling him not to take the laker job.

I would say your thoughts are just as likely as those (myself included) who think Luke wanted the laker job. Both are opinion/perception.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Assistants also don't always take a job if they don't think it's a good one, much like free agents not coming here. It was a 17 win team, he had people telling him not to take the laker job.

I would say your thoughts are just as likely as those (myself included) who think Luke wanted the laker job. Both are opinion/perception.

How many assistants in the last 10 years have turned down a HC job?
G
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Right, it's not like they grow on trees. There are only 30 total head coaching jobs, they typically aren't going to be ultra choosy when an opportunity arises.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Don't know off the top of my head but I'm sure some have deemed it not the right time and sometimes we won't hear about it either.

Not saying that most don't take first opportunity but it's not like an assistant jumps at every HC position no matter what...there are factors that come into play. Only Luke really knows in terms of his situation.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

Doubt it. This is still a dream job, especially for a former Laker Champion. His three finals losses (2 with the Lakers, 1 with GSW) still haunt him to this day. My guess is he enjoys the challenge and there's no other place he'd rather be.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

I think he is happy right now but who knows how it will turn out. If Lakers don't turn it around soon they will start looking and blaming Luke. Look at Byron Scott he was a loved Lakers legend who won 3 championships here. He took is dream job with the Lakers. Laker fans turned on him and started hating and trashing him. Some still hate him. Now his relationship with the Lakers and the fans will never be the same. My guess is he regrets taking the job and he didn't even have that Warriors job as a possibility.

If it ends the same way for Luke then obviously he probably will regret it.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure there is some regret when he watches them in the playoffs right now and knowing that Kerr is probably done coaching because of his health issues. Staying with the Warriors was the easy comfortable path.

There is one silver lining though and that is if he is able to bring us back to prominence from the bottom we are at currently, it'll feel much sweeter because it would be directly through his influence instead of just taking over a perfect team like the Warriors.

Last edited by Deathstroke on Fri May 05, 2017 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
I think he is happy right now but who knows how it will turn out. If Lakers don't turn it around soon they will start looking and blaming Luke. Look at Byron Scott he was a loved Lakers legend who won 3 championships here. He took is dream job with the Lakers. Laker fans turned on him and started hating and trashing him. Some still hate him. Now his relationship with the Lakers and the fans will never be the same. My guess is he regrets taking the job and he didn't even have that Warriors job as a possibility.

If it ends the same way for Luke then obviously he probably will regret it.

Byron deserved all of the hate he got from us and was not warmly welcomed. We all knew he was hopelessly old school from his prior stints and that he would not work with our roster. Byron= Beloved laker player, but horrible coach.
Power Gasol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Regret? No. He's looking to build his own legacy..
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Power Gasol wrote:
Regret? No. He's looking to build his own legacy..

exactly this.

Not everyone is all about job security and taking the easy way out, Luke is rich regardless. He strikes me as someone who wants to build a legacy and accomplish great things.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
Probably. Best team in the NBA, maybe a dynasty.

Yeah until they have to renew contracts for their big stars and realize that they can't afford them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: