View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Let me just say that the more I play this the more I think it was unfairly criticized. It has its warts, but it's also got everything that made ME1 and ME2 great games. The companion loyalty missions are top notch and easily on par with the original trilogy if not better. And the world exploration is incredibly fleshed out for a Bioware game.

I'm giving this game a solid 8.5/10. Don't know if that affects anything ya'll were going to do regarding this game, but I do suggest buying it if you are a fan of the universe. I am definitely enjoying it more than the Witcher 3.

I picked it up and just finished the first planet. The crafting system in this one seems very deep.

It is. I'm still getting the hang of it myself, but you can make some super interesting weapons and armor.

I really don't like the inventory system. I like to hoard, especially in a game where I can respec my character, so I can switch up my gear according to my build. I really wish they provided a locker or something to store items and weapons so I didn't have to keep deconstructing or selling stuff.

Combat is still very fun, but also damn frustrating at Insanity. There have been more than a few fights where I was tempted to turn the difficulty down, but I've persevered. I have left one particular fight for later (giant Remnant bot). I really miss having the ability to control when and where my party members use their skills
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Let me just say that the more I play this the more I think it was unfairly criticized. It has its warts, but it's also got everything that made ME1 and ME2 great games. The companion loyalty missions are top notch and easily on par with the original trilogy if not better. And the world exploration is incredibly fleshed out for a Bioware game.

I'm giving this game a solid 8.5/10. Don't know if that affects anything ya'll were going to do regarding this game, but I do suggest buying it if you are a fan of the universe. I am definitely enjoying it more than the Witcher 3.

I picked it up and just finished the first planet. The crafting system in this one seems very deep.

It is. I'm still getting the hang of it myself, but you can make some super interesting weapons and armor.

I really don't like the inventory system. I like to hoard, especially in a game where I can respec my character, so I can switch up my gear according to my build. I really wish they provided a locker or something to store items and weapons so I didn't have to keep deconstructing or selling stuff.

Combat is still very fun, but also damn frustrating at Insanity. There have been more than a few fights where I was tempted to turn the difficulty down, but I've persevered. I have left one particular fight for later (giant Remnant bot). I really miss having the ability to control when and where my party members use their skills

This frustrated me a lot when I started. I used to use my party members to set up combos.
aachan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject:

I just beat the game, took me about 60+ hours, did all of the missions/quests but skipped through most of the 'Tasks' since they don't have quest markers - 95% completion overall. Outside of graphical/performance/acting issues, the game is really good. I think towards the end, at least for me, they'd always cut the cut scene sequences a bit early ending them while someone is mid-sentence, but at that point, I just got used to all the glitches it didn't bother me at all lol.

I started off as a Sniper, but once I got to around level 30 and had a fair amount of skill points, I respec'd, the builds I could play with just opened up the gameplay so much more. I finished the game at level 59 as a Vanguard Melee/Pistol combo, took all the skills where I replenish shield on every melee hit. Slapped a 'Shield Oscillator' via crafting on my Pistol and Chestpiece making it so that every time I reload or get a kill I recover 25% shields, pretty much making me invincible.

I enjoyed the game enough that I can definitely see myself going through a 2nd playthrough as a different 'class' after a few patches. Don't regret buying at all.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

This would drive me absolutely bat-(bleep) as I'm a hoarder of the highest order in these types of games. I'm sure with enough complaints, they'll patch in a locker or something to that effect. In any event, I think I'll wait for a better sale, more time and some patches to fix the bugs I'm hearing about.

I wonder why BW made the decision to go backwards in terms of controlling your squadmates. Combat in ME3 was sublime.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

This would drive me absolutely bat-(bleep) as I'm a hoarder of the highest order in these types of games. I'm sure with enough complaints, they'll patch in a locker or something to that effect. In any event, I think I'll wait for a better sale, more time and some patches to fix the bugs I'm hearing about.

I wonder why BW made the decision to go backwards in terms of controlling your squadmates. Combat in ME3 was sublime.

Control of squadmates is indeed dumbed down. I do play at normal difficulty though so it hasn't been too much of an issue.

Inventory has been OK so far...but I tend to deconstruct and sell (bleep) frequently so I've made do with the 50 item limit. I can see it being a major issue if you like to keep lots of different gear and weapon sets on hand.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject:

aachan wrote:
I just beat the game, took me about 60+ hours, did all of the missions/quests but skipped through most of the 'Tasks' since they don't have quest markers - 95% completion overall. Outside of graphical/performance/acting issues, the game is really good. I think towards the end, at least for me, they'd always cut the cut scene sequences a bit early ending them while someone is mid-sentence, but at that point, I just got used to all the glitches it didn't bother me at all lol.

I started off as a Sniper, but once I got to around level 30 and had a fair amount of skill points, I respec'd, the builds I could play with just opened up the gameplay so much more. I finished the game at level 59 as a Vanguard Melee/Pistol combo, took all the skills where I replenish shield on every melee hit. Slapped a 'Shield Oscillator' via crafting on my Pistol and Chestpiece making it so that every time I reload or get a kill I recover 25% shields, pretty much making me invincible.

I enjoyed the game enough that I can definitely see myself going through a 2nd playthrough as a different 'class' after a few patches. Don't regret buying at all.

I also have been using the Oscillator as well as the Bioconverter. Unlimited shields AND ammo if you do it right...

I will say that a lot of the side missions are very much on par with Witcher 3 or better in case that was something worrying people. The side mission series on the planet Kadara is a blast.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

New patch dropped yesterday doubled the inventory space, which helps. It also supposedly improved animations and some models, but I don't care too much about that. You can also skip the flight animation between planets now, thank God.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

I think i'll cop this when it goes on sale.

!...
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Tweaked my build, and an excellent OP "who needs cover?" build is one with Charge, Shield Drain, and Incinerate with the Sentinel profile. Charge is just as fun as it was in ME2 and 3, but no longer rag dolls enemies, which kinda sucks. Shield drain and Incinerate work well together to prime and detonate combos with Shield Drain and Charge restoring shields and Sentinel Tech Armor backing you up. Crushes crowds of regular enemies even on Insanity, and even large enemies like Destroyers and Architects are fairly easy with some sense and decent dodging.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Finally beat this after ~70 hours more or less. Very solid game and definitely worth the money. I wish we had better conversation options for Ryder though: the closest thing to a ME1-3 renegade was just sarcasm. Also not a lot of action options in conversation. As it stands now, I feel like the replay value isn't there without a better division in conversation options (and consequences of your various actions throughout the game).

Also, quests being more streamlined would be helpful too. Thank god the first patch allowed us to tab through planetary system travel.

Also not sure about the open world... I think Bioware does better at linear games. The loyalty missions and other "on rails" missions were the best part of the game for me.

Still, pretty good.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject:

Decided to start another playthrough with a female Ryder. I had to restart after about an hour in because I couldn't stand the default Sara Ryder face. Holy crap. The Model has a clown mouth and looks like she's smiling ALL THE TIME, even during moments that are supposed to be tragic. I generally never care about using the character creation tools to personalize appearance, but I just had to because the default face looked ridiculous.

Just a warning for anyone who wants to use the female Ryder: you might want to check out some vids of the default face in motion before starting the game just to make sure you're okay with it. It's super annoying to have to restart otherwise.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Decided to start another playthrough with a female Ryder. I had to restart after about an hour in because I couldn't stand the default Sara Ryder face. Holy crap. The Model has a clown mouth and looks like she's smiling ALL THE TIME, even during moments that are supposed to be tragic. I generally never care about using the character creation tools to personalize appearance, but I just had to because the default face looked ridiculous.

Just a warning for anyone who wants to use the female Ryder: you might want to check out some vids of the default face in motion before starting the game just to make sure you're okay with it. It's super annoying to have to restart otherwise.

Yeah I did my playthrough with female Ryder and first thing I did was customize her
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Bad news for Andromeda. Rumors swirling that EA is putting Andromeda on hiatus and transitioning the team to other projects. We might not see an Andromeda sequel for a long time, if ever. I'm pretty surprised at this development. The game never reached the fascination level of the original trilogy for me for either characters or storyline (though the original ending of ME3 killed any desire on my part to replay the game since it essentially rendered any and all choices made through the trilogy completely pointless), but the combat was very good and the game was fun overall. But I also was pushing to finish Final Fantasy XV at the time and didn't get to play Andromeda until after a few patches by EA that supposedly fixed a lot of animation and character model issues that I heard killed the experience for a lot of people who dived in right away, so maybe I'm not aware of all the issues.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

Due to my work schedule I ended up playing 3/4 of the game on the release day patch and the rest with the latest patch. The newest version of Andromeda is nearly an entirely different game as far as animations are concerned.

As to halting Andromeda development...I'm not surprised. Though I personally had fun with the game, it's really lacking in terms of scope with regard to the story.

I mean, if you just compare it to ME1...the ending battle of ME:A just pales in comparison. I think that it was a real big mistake to paint the Archon as a pseudo-main villain (since he's only a cog in the Kett machine), but then leave the rest of the Kett empire off-screen. It really makes the story feel small in scale, even smaller than what we had in Dragon Age 2.

It was also a mistake to go for quantity over quality regarding conversations. It seemed each outpost had a hundred people with thirty things to say, but was any of that consequential? Not really. Would have preferred all that effort to go into a renegade conversation option or more consequential dialogue exchanges in general.

The game also needed some streamlining and optimization regarding all of the different kinds of content it offered. Main quests, loyalty quests, sidequests, planet quests, tasks. All of these felt jumbled together and usually unconnected. And the quality varied significantly.

But yeah to close, my final verdict on ME:A is that it's a good RPG, but definitely lacking that old Bioware IT factor. Unfortunately, as a result, this may be the last we see of the ME series for a while.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: