2017 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 340, 341, 342  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Just watched Bellinger hit a monster shot in person. Damn this kid has a sweet swing.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Baez actually came in in a high-leverage situation and struck out the best hitters on the opposing team. I'm shocked.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Baez actually came in in a high-leverage situation and struck out the best hitters on the opposing team. I'm shocked.

We were up 6-2. You feel a little more secure with a 4-run lead.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

That's like a 2-run lead anywhere but Coors
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

That's like a 2-run lead anywhere but Coors

Yeah that was a weird moment. 6-2 @ Coors and it just feels like you're going to get walked off on. I know 4 is plenty safe but it's just an odd feeling @ Coors in that position.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Just watched Bellinger hit a monster shot in person. Damn this kid has a sweet swing.

7 HR's and a .323 average in 62 plate appearances.

Beyond impressive.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

7 HR's and a .323 average in 62 plate appearances.

Beyond impressive.

Looking just a little ahead, where do you put him when AGon returns?
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

^Bellinger will be in left field for the time being
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
^Bellinger will be in left field for the time being

Yeah, with Toles done for the year, he'll be the primary LF now, although they could still play him at 1B on occasion.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Through 5 innings today, Wood has 28K in his last 15IP.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Through 5 innings today, Wood has 28K in his last 15IP.

Alex Wood has been very solid all season when given a chance. He is going to have to pitch himself out of the rotation at this point.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Kenley is absolutely absurd right now. His FIP is -0.82, and he has almost the same WAR as Kershaw. 28K and 0 walks on the season. 311 ERA+

The most dominant stretch I've maybe seen, ever.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Kenley is absolutely absurd right now. His FIP is -0.82, and he has almost the same WAR as Kershaw. 28K and 0 walks on the season. 311 ERA+

Eric Gagne's Cy Young year is probably the most dominant stretch I've ever seen for a whole season for a reliever. I don't think I remember a single outing where he didn't have a strikeout... or any hitter that didn't already start off down 0-1.

Very glad that the Dodgers re-signed KJ. Too bad Andrew Miller wanted to stay on the East Coast when he signed with the Yankees. Those 2 would've been lights out.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
We really still need that elusive dependable #2. If we can get that, I like our chances.

I actually think a second lockdown bullpen guy is more important than a #2 starter. I think you can win in the postseason with 1 great starter and the rest of them being guys who just give you a chance. I think the last 15 years or so of World Series winners have been a mixed bag; some teams have had 2 aces, but some definitely did not. But what virtually all teams have had were lockdown bullpens, with multiple power-armed guys.

As I mentioned, Kelvin Herrera is likely to be available for the right price. We have a relationship with the Braves FO and I'd still look at Arodys Vizcaino, who has rebounded nicely this season as a setup guy, with an average fastball velocity of 97.3 MPH (the fastest of his career). Perhaps Robertson from the White Sox. I don't know if the Angels would consider trading Bedrosian, who can't be a free agent until 2022, but they have severe long-term needs at 2B and the OF (specifically, LF) and a package of Verdugo and Calhoun might make a lot of sense for them. In going back to the A's well, Ryan Madson could be a target (has maintained his same fastball velocity and has a nice fastball-changeup combination). Colome from the Rays would be a strong get as well. Maybe the Marlins could consider AJ Ramos or Kyle Barraclough, if they fall out of contention.

That's completely fair. Last year's pitching lineup with our dope setup guys + Jansen was enough to compete. If we can somehow recreate that around Clayton combined with this deep as F hitting lineup...we're right in the thick of it. That said...a real solid #2 would make me feel a whole lot better.

We were pretty much a dependable #2 guy away from knocking out the Cubs (who have them btw). Would not have had to rely on two rookies in crucial games against the likes of Lester, Hendricks, and Arrieta.

It's also worth noting that after we made that great comeback in Game 1 of the NLCS to tie the score, Joe Blanton proceeded to come in and serve up a hanging meatball to the previously comatose Miguel Montero, who hit one about 5000 feet. He was our 2nd-best reliever last year and, IMO, that wasn't good enough. If we get that game to extra innings, Chapman had already been used, as had their top setup guys, and we would've had the clear advantage in extra innings. If we win that game, who knows what happens, after such a comeback.

Anyway, I stand by my belief that we can win a WS with Kershaw and the other starters we have. But I don't think we can if our 2nd-best reliever is...Grant Dayton?

Josh Fields? I was hoping he would have gotten more run in last year's postseason. So far this year, he's done well in the limited action he's had. Hope he continues to be that dark horse candidate in the bullpen that I had imagined he'd be.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
We really still need that elusive dependable #2. If we can get that, I like our chances.

I actually think a second lockdown bullpen guy is more important than a #2 starter. I think you can win in the postseason with 1 great starter and the rest of them being guys who just give you a chance. I think the last 15 years or so of World Series winners have been a mixed bag; some teams have had 2 aces, but some definitely did not. But what virtually all teams have had were lockdown bullpens, with multiple power-armed guys.

As I mentioned, Kelvin Herrera is likely to be available for the right price. We have a relationship with the Braves FO and I'd still look at Arodys Vizcaino, who has rebounded nicely this season as a setup guy, with an average fastball velocity of 97.3 MPH (the fastest of his career). Perhaps Robertson from the White Sox. I don't know if the Angels would consider trading Bedrosian, who can't be a free agent until 2022, but they have severe long-term needs at 2B and the OF (specifically, LF) and a package of Verdugo and Calhoun might make a lot of sense for them. In going back to the A's well, Ryan Madson could be a target (has maintained his same fastball velocity and has a nice fastball-changeup combination). Colome from the Rays would be a strong get as well. Maybe the Marlins could consider AJ Ramos or Kyle Barraclough, if they fall out of contention.

That's completely fair. Last year's pitching lineup with our dope setup guys + Jansen was enough to compete. If we can somehow recreate that around Clayton combined with this deep as F hitting lineup...we're right in the thick of it. That said...a real solid #2 would make me feel a whole lot better.

We were pretty much a dependable #2 guy away from knocking out the Cubs (who have them btw). Would not have had to rely on two rookies in crucial games against the likes of Lester, Hendricks, and Arrieta.

It's also worth noting that after we made that great comeback in Game 1 of the NLCS to tie the score, Joe Blanton proceeded to come in and serve up a hanging meatball to the previously comatose Miguel Montero, who hit one about 5000 feet. He was our 2nd-best reliever last year and, IMO, that wasn't good enough. If we get that game to extra innings, Chapman had already been used, as had their top setup guys, and we would've had the clear advantage in extra innings. If we win that game, who knows what happens, after such a comeback.

Anyway, I stand by my belief that we can win a WS with Kershaw and the other starters we have. But I don't think we can if our 2nd-best reliever is...Grant Dayton?

Josh Fields? I was hoping he would have gotten more run in last year's postseason. So far this year, he's done well in the limited action he's had. Hope he continues to be that dark horse candidate in the bullpen that I had imagined he'd be.

There's some potential there, but that's all it is...potential. I want a dominant, proven setup guy. I really think that it's the missing link.

Wood is flat-out dealing right now. Remember, he looked really promising when he first came up with the Braves. His velocity kept slipping a bit before they traded him to us--I think they thought he was a significant injury risk with that delivery--and, sure enough, he did have injury problems with us. But right now, his velocity is back up. (Per Fangraphs, when he came up to the Braves in '13, his fastball averaged 93.8 MPH. By 2015 when he pitched for both the Braves and Dodgers, his average fastball was just 88.4. Last year it was 90.3. This year? It's back up to 93.1.) Maybe he can keep this going. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

It looks like Ryu is going to be the odd man out once Hill gets back. Plus McCarthy should be back soon. At that point, we could have 6 guys throwing well: Kershaw, Urias, Wood, Maeda, McCarthy, and Hill. If all 5 guys behind Kershaw are throwing well, I think the team will manipulate the DL to give guys breaks. They can be careful with Urias' innings; careful with Wood's workload; careful to not tire Maeda; and careful with the fragile McCarthy and Hill.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Agree. Dodgers don't have anyone outside of Jansen that are true hammers out of the bullpen. Just a bunch of guys with potential. Getting a dominant reliever will be very costly, and Verdugo probably will be the centerpiece of a trade. They just need to make sure it's for someone like Andrew Miller - a guy at his dominant peak that won't be a free agent after the season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Agree. Dodgers don't have anyone outside of Jansen that are true hammers out of the bullpen. Just a bunch of guys with potential. Getting a dominant reliever will be very costly, and Verdugo probably will be the centerpiece of a trade. They just need to make sure it's for someone like Andrew Miller - a guy at his dominant peak that won't be a free agent after the season.

Colome and Herrera are probably the best possibilities of guys that could be available, and Herrera will be more available because he's a free agent after next season and the Royals are probably going to have a fire sale. Colome would probably cost more because he's still quite a bit away from free agency.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Colome and Herrera are probably the best possibilities of guys that could be available, and Herrera will be more available because he's a free agent after next season and the Royals are probably going to have a fire sale. Colome would probably cost more because he's still quite a bit away from free agency.

Andrew Friedman wrote:
Who cares about price. Colome is a Ray and Herrera isn't. I'd rather give up a lot of quality prospects and cash for Colome than give up barely anything for Herrera.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Andrew Friedman wrote:
Who cares about price. Colome is a Ray and Herrera isn't. I'd rather give up a lot of quality prospects and cash for Colome than give up barely anything for Herrera.

Herrera is going to cost a lot, too. Quite possibly two top 100 prospects. At least one top prospect for sure and another decent one.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

Kenley is off the chain but am I seeing the same #'s? Kenley is at 0.5 which is on pace for top 5 in the last 25 years but Clayton is sitting at 1.5 already.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Andrew Friedman wrote:

Herrera is going to cost a lot, too. Quite possibly two top 100 prospects. At least one top prospect for sure and another decent one.

Friedman could give up the entire farm for Colome and I would not be surprised.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Kenley is off the chain but am I seeing the same #'s? Kenley is at 0.5 which is on pace for top 5 in the last 25 years but Clayton is sitting at 1.5 already.

I was looking at fWar which is based on FIP (which I think is better for pitchers than bWar). Kenley 1.2 Kershaw 1.4
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I was looking at fWar which is based on FIP (which I think is better for pitchers than bWar). Kenley 1.2 Kershaw 1.4

Ah. Gotcha.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Rough outing for Urias in a difficult game at Coors after a good start against the Pirates.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Rough outing for Urias in a difficult game at Coors after a good start against the Pirates.

Yeah, I can give him a pass since it was in Colorado. Back on the beam in his next start, let's hope.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 28 of 342
Jump to: