Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 407, 408, 409 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject:

JJ with the clinic. Just the best pure technical striker and ring general in the game.

Yair got man handled. Edgar is relentless. Man against a boy there.

Stipe doesn't need a lot of space to land devastating, fight ending punches. Guy's on a mission right now.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject:

How good is Stipe though? He just looks completely unrivaled striking in that division. I mean, Overeem dropped him - but when Stipe is attacking, he's unstoppable.

And JJ, she's just P4P the best in the game - maybe tied Mighty Mouse

I think Woodley is going to beat Maia pretty easily.. What ya'll think? He's way stronger than Mazvidal - I don't see Maia handling him on the ground
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

Yeah, Stipe is really separating himself from the pack. . I didn't know he started MMA at 27. His skill and confidence are through the roof right now. Everything seems to have come together for him. What do you think about Francis Ngannou? That dude's a monster that's an MMA late starter too. But the rate at which he's developing is scary. He hasn't been tested like Yair just did but if he keeps making all that noise, he's going to wind up sharing the octagon with Stipe.

Joanna is nearly a perfect fighting specimen. She's got the IQ and innards to boot. In my previous post, I stopped short of putting her at the top of the P4P list but I'm glad you did. At worst, she is tied with Mighty. And scary thing is that it seems like she's improving.

Believe it or not, that was my first time watching Maia. Now I know why you called him the human backpack. I think Woodley beats him. The kicks from Masvidal were working well before he faded in the third. I just I magine Woodley's tree trunks chopping away and connecting like Masvidal's did. Plus Woodley is just flatout stronger than Masvidal. Better wrestling probably has better cardio too.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
JJ with the clinic. Just the best pure technical striker and ring general in the game.

Stipe doesn't need a lot of space to land devastating, fight ending punches. Guy's on a mission right now.

Given the comp it's Conor imo but she's in the conversation for sure. Fight went the way I thought. Andrade is beyond 1 dimensional...competition is everything (ahem, see Yair hype train) and frankly all the women's divisions are woefully pathetic. The fight was 25 minutes of Andrade charging forward with the same right left combo. Distance management is beyond easy when you've got a 6" height advantage and 3-4" reach advantage to your competition. JJ is amazing as hell but it is what it is in the women's divisions.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Joanna man is great! but I didn't think she was dominant last night (at all). in fact, I'm not even 100% sure she won. I think the main reason she won was because she was the champ.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Yeah, Stipe is really separating himself from the pack. . I didn't know he started MMA at 27. His skill and confidence are through the roof right now. Everything seems to have come together for him. What do you think about Francis Ngannou? That dude's a monster that's an MMA late starter too. But the rate at which he's developing is scary. He hasn't been tested like Yair just did but if he keeps making all that noise, he's going to wind up sharing the octagon with Stipe.

Joanna is nearly a perfect fighting specimen. She's got the IQ and innards to boot. In my previous post, I stopped short of putting her at the top of the P4P list but I'm glad you did. At worst, she is tied with Mighty. And scary thing is that it seems like she's improving.

Believe it or not, that was my first time watching Maia. Now I know why you called him the human backpack. I think Woodley beats him. The kicks from Masvidal were working well before he faded in the third. I just I magine Woodley's tree trunks chopping away and connecting like Masvidal's did. Plus Woodley is just flatout stronger than Masvidal. Better wrestling probably has better cardio too.

I would give Ngannu the shot! I'm over Cain's injury prone ass. Ngannu's got the reach and power to make that fight interesting.
Masvidal still impressed me in that fight - and Maia was real disappointing on the feet. Tyron might eat him up. I swear he's not strong enough to keep Tyron down.
I'm not sure I like Tyron as champ - not sure if more of his fights are boring or exciting... But Maia aint the guy. Wish Wonderboy had the strap
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Given the comp it's Conor imo but she's in the conversation for sure. Fight went the way I thought. Andrade is beyond 1 dimensional...competition is everything (ahem, see Yair hype train) and frankly all the women's divisions are woefully pathetic. The fight was 25 minutes of Andrade charging forward with the same right left combo. Distance management is beyond easy when you've got a 6" height advantage and 3-4" reach advantage to your competition. JJ is amazing as hell but it is what it is in the women's divisions.

Conor is amazingly efficient and has some of the best pop in the game and you're right about the difference in level of competition so I can't argue with you picking him.

JJ is just years ahead of the rest of the women. It's going to be a while before the rest of the division catches up. Dana White has huge wood for Cynthia Calvillo so I'm guessing that's who they'll be paving the way for to one day challenge JJ.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I would give Ngannu the shot! I'm over Cain's injury prone ass. Ngannu's got the reach and power to make that fight interesting.
Masvidal still impressed me in that fight - and Maia was real disappointing on the feet. Tyron might eat him up. I swear he's not strong enough to keep Tyron down.
I'm not sure I like Tyron as champ - not sure if more of his fights are boring or exciting... But Maia aint the guy. Wish Wonderboy had the strap

Lol @ Cain's injury prone ass. That whole team has a rough time staying healthy. Cain was machine. But yeah, I think the division is moving along just fine without him. I think Ngannu can use one or two more fights before making the championship level leap but that guy looks like he could be the guy in a year or so. And for a long time too. I wonder if he has a chin.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

Trouble with a lot of these heavyweights is their chin. I know it is a division where the fighters are very powerful, but someone like Overeem for example sticks out as having a weak chin. Imagine if he had more of a chin, he'd be unstoppable, because his striking is deadly. I don't know if Stipe is doing well because he is so good, or because the division just isn't good to be honest.

Agree on points about JJ above, she has poise and precision that are unmatched in that division. Andrade could've done better than just blindly chasing after her and repeatedly getting jabbed and leg kicked, but she was always going to struggle due to the reach and height disadvantage. Think Jessica's only real chance to win the fight was to get a lucky shot on JJ, otherwise she was going to get picked apart.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Trouble with a lot of these heavyweights is their chin. I know it is a division where the fighters are very powerful, but someone like Overeem for example sticks out as having a weak chin. Imagine if he had more of a chin, he'd be unstoppable, because his striking is deadly. I don't know if Stipe is doing well because he is so good, or because the division just isn't good to be honest.

Agree on points about JJ above, she has poise and precision that are unmatched in that division. Andrade could've done better than just blindly chasing after her and repeatedly getting jabbed and leg kicked, but she was always going to struggle due to the reach and height disadvantage. Think Jessica's only real chance to win the fight was to get a lucky shot on JJ, otherwise she was going to get picked apart.

These heavyweights are all older than dirt too and have all been through absolute wars. Stipe by comparison, although a bit up there in age, started his MMA career late. His first pro fight was only 7 years ago. The rest of the contenders have 10-15 years in the game.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

McGregor signs his portion of the contract to fight Money May. Next up, Dana sits down with Al Haymon.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
GSP/Bisping off. Romero gets his shot in July.

Some feelers being floated by Anderson Silva's camp about a megafight with the Canadian.

Jones/DC could be on for UFC 214.

Bisping will fight Yoel?? Wow can't wait!!

Silva vs GSP is more appropriate.

We'll see if Jones can conquer the ring rust!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Some feelers being floated by Anderson Silva's camp about a megafight with the Canadian.

Sorry man. Bisping predictably wussed out. Claiming his knee is still too damaged to fight (after calling out GSP to fight in July) before September so the fight with George works out perfectly.

What an a-hole.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Sorry man. Bisping predictably wussed out. Claiming his knee is still too damaged to fight (after calling out GSP to fight in July) before September so the fight with George works out perfectly.

What an a-hole.

Dangit.

Well if Bisping beats GSP and cashes in, I could see him retiring to avoid any damage Yoel would cause lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty confident Aldo takes the unanimous title. And probably Claudia since it's a 3 round fight.
I don't think Holloway has the power to mess with Aldo, and Aldo is likely quicker and more explosive. Holloway is great, but the way Aldo toyed with Edgar --- is anyone in his league??
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject:

MAX (bleep) HOLLOWAY! Recovered from adversity.

Wow..In Brazil and he (bleep) dismanteld Aldo in the 3rd. WOW!!!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject:

!!!! Aldo slowed down in the 3rd! Max!!!!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Ba-ba-ba...

That left right left combo that dropped Aldo to start the barrage was a thing of beautfy. Woo! Pumped.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject:

HOlloway is so legit. He went the distance against Conor (his last lost) and he was green as can be back then. He's SOOOO much better now. Damn.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Damn man that was crazy. Aldo really slowed down, Max turned it up - could have predicted this! that 1-2!! Max is the 145 god
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Max is legit. It's been a pleasure watching him grow over the years.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Aldo is done..
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject:

Love Holloway, guy is just a straight up fighter. So much fun to watch.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
VindicatioN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
HOlloway is so legit. He went the distance against Conor (his last lost) and he was green as can be back then. He's SOOOO much better now. Damn.

Don't get me wrong, max is a straight up killer, but let's not ignore the fact that Conor was fighting with a torn MCL that fight.

With that being said, a rematch between the two would be fireworks, but too bad Conor will never set foot in the 145 division ever again, and max has no intention of coming up.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Man, it's hard for me to get into MMA anymore. I'll still watch a few fights here and there, but otherwise, unless it's a big name, I kind of don't care.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 407, 408, 409 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 408 of 499
Jump to: