How does the Lakers young core with another 2nd pick stack up with the rest?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: How does the Lakers young core with another 2nd pick stack up with the rest?

How would you guys rank the best young cores in the league?
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

After this upcoming draft:

#1 Boston - #1 seed this year and will likely add Fultz
#2 Philly - Embid was only available half the year last season and Simmons was out the whole season. They have 2 early first round picks.
#3 Lakers - If they get Lonzo, my intuition tells me that all the pieces we currently have will connect better.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

The Lakers would have the best fit together young core in the league, if let's assume they draft Lonzo.

Starters:
D'Angelo Russell
Lonzo Ball
Brandon Ingram
Julius Randle
Timofey Mozgov . Ivica Zubac

Bench:
Tyler Ennis
Jordan Clarkson / David Nwaba
Luol Deng
Larry Nance Jr. / Thomas Robinson
Ivica Zubac / Timofey Mozgov / Tarik Black

That's not even factoring who the 28th could be.

Anyway in terms of fit, our young core would be one of the best in the league, and the passing from the 1- 4 would be unlike any other one in the league.

The Timberwolves have a lot of young pieces, but not a cog that makes it all run, they're essentially all offensive talents that try to take their turns scoring, and Thibs isn't really investing anywhere else with them.

Philly will have its first year playing together this season if Embiid can stay healthy, and they lost their 2nd best defender in Noel.

Lakers have 2 youngsters poised for breakout years and another coming into his, and a rookie who is one of the top 2 talents in the draft coming in Ball if that is whom we draft.

The pieces fit perfectly and the passing like I said from 1-4 would be unlike any other young core in the league and our pieces would fit from the get go better than the other ones imo.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
After this upcoming draft:

#1 Boston - #1 seed this year and will likely add Fultz
#2 Philly - Embid was only available half the year last season and Simmons was out the whole season. They have 2 early first round picks.
#3 Lakers - If they get Lonzo, my intuition tells me that all the pieces we currently have will connect better.

#1 Minnie
#2 Philly - if they get rid of injury bug
#3 LAL

LAL would be more attractive to FAs then Minnie though.

I don't count Boston because they're older with the exception of Fultz
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

I'd define "young" as players 25 and under. By that standard, I think a number of teams have an advantage in having players who have already established themselves as genuine all-stars or have won league player-of-the-week honors while are hoping our key guys and draft picks will develop.

1. Milwaukee
2. Minneapolis
3. 76ers
4. Lakers
5. Denver
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I'd define "young" as players 25 and under. By that standard, I think a number of teams have an advantage in having players who have already established themselves as genuine all-stars or have won league player-of-the-week honors while are hoping our key guys and draft picks will develop.

1. Milwaukee
2. Minneapolis
3. 76ers
4. Lakers
5. Denver

The Timberwolves play in Minnesota.

Also, 76ers young core is pretty overrated in my opinion. Joel Embiid's health is a huge question mark, will he ever be able to stay healthy? Ben Simmons is probably going to be good but outside of that they don't have a better core then us.

They have a long jam at Center and Power forward, their biggest need is a point guard and the best two are going to be picked before their pick comes. If Embiid doesn't prove to be healthy, then they're not looking too hot.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
The Lakers would have the best fit together young core in the league, if let's assume they draft Lonzo.

Starters:
D'Angelo Russell
Lonzo Ball
Brandon Ingram
Julius Randle
Timofey Mozgov . Ivica Zubac

Bench:
Tyler Ennis
Jordan Clarkson / David Nwaba
Luol Deng
Larry Nance Jr. / Thomas Robinson
Ivica Zubac / Timofey Mozgov / Tarik Black

That's not even factoring who the 28th could be.

Anyway in terms of fit, our young core would be one of the best in the league, and the passing from the 1- 4 would be unlike any other one in the league.

The Timberwolves have a lot of young pieces, but not a cog that makes it all run, they're essentially all offensive talents that try to take their turns scoring, and Thibs isn't really investing anywhere else with them.

Philly will have its first year playing together this season if Embiid can stay healthy, and they lost their 2nd best defender in Noel.

Lakers have 2 youngsters poised for breakout years and another coming into his, and a rookie who is one of the top 2 talents in the draft coming in Ball if that is whom we draft.

The pieces fit perfectly and the passing like I said from 1-4 would be unlike any other young core in the league and our pieces would fit from the get go better than the other ones imo.

I don't get worried about "fit" at this point. We can't be sure who will/won't develop and who will/won't stay around. The team could look very different in 2-3 years than it does today.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject:

1. Milwuakee Bucks- they know who their franchise player is, have a great collection of young talent around him and they're already in the playoffs.

2. Minnesota Timberwolves- KAT is franchise player material, and then they have Wiggins/Lavine surrounding him who are nice players. Too early to write off Dunn also.

After that is where it becomes a debate, 76ers, Lakers, Nuggets and Suns are all in the mix.

3. LA Lakers- Our core is deeper then the rest in my opinion. I think Brandon Ingram has franchise player potential and then we have D'Angelo Russell, Lonzo Ball, Ivica Zubac who all give us reasons to be excited. Even after those four we have Julius Randle and Larry Nance along with some guys that potentially can work into our core like Nwaba, 28 and maybe Clarkson.

4. 76ers- based on talent, they can be ranked as high as number 1 however how confident are you that they turn that into a contender? Joel Embiid's health is a serious question mark, and although we haven't seen Ben Simmons I think he lives up to the hype. But outside of that? Jahlil Okafor and Dario Saric are both also big man, and none of their guards compare to the top 3 teams in my rankings. They need a PG and they draft 3rd after the two best guards are gone.

5. Nuggets- Jokic is solid for sure but he's getting overrated, still could be a great player. Murray,Harris, Hernangomez are nice pieces but they've shown even less then our core.

6. Suns- Devin Booker can put up scoring numbers but he's worse then DLO in everything else and we have 2 guys that can end up better then DLO. Chris, Bender, Warren show potential and it depends on you rate them.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
Also, 76ers young core is pretty overrated in my opinion. Joel Embiid's health is a huge question mark, will he ever be able to stay healthy? Ben Simmons is probably going to be good but outside of that they don't have a better core then us.

They have a long jam at Center and Power forward, their biggest need is a point guard and the best two are going to be picked before their pick comes. If Embiid doesn't prove to be healthy, then they're not looking too hot.

Embiid's health is the question mark. Otherwise, I'd put them #1 because he's an MVP caliber talent.

Simmons, of course, is a "we'll see." But I'd say our top guys are all "we'll see" too. It's anyone's guess how many of our guys will end up being better than Dario Saric.

So I'd say a lot of the pro-Laker ratings here are based on the assumption/hope our guys will pan out and the other teams' guys won't. As I said, we'll see.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

Portland!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: