LaVar Ball (Lonzo Ball's father)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
The shoes look like poor Kobe knock off's.

I thought the same thing.

I'm no sneaker head but I don't think the look is bad at all. It's the quality I'd be worried about. It's funny because, to me, you put a swoosh on those and they'd sell. Shoe business is crazy.

Thats because Nike has been in the business for 53 years. They've been there done that. Another reason why UA is still catching up. Quality is the difference between a brand that sells like hotcakes and ones remain on the shelf. This is why many people don't take the Lavar Ball seriously when he hypes about his own brand. You can't just slap your name on a shoe and expect it to sell. Trust is earned over the years thru producing quality products and that brand has none.
do we know if this shoe is high, medium, or low quality? Not yet.
can we wait and see? Thats one of the things I'm waiting on. How does your feet feel in those shoes off the court. how long will they hold up if you just walk around in them and never play a game in them. They are 495. you better not scuff them. lol.

Or for you rich kids, how do they perform on the court.

these are things I want to hear about.

#NoRefunds
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject:

I actually don't have a problem with what Pops Ball is trying to do. However, the way he's chosen to go about marketing his kids and the brand certainly does give this the look of a vanity project as AP suggested. I think this is a case waiting to see if the ends justify the means. But there's good reason for skepticism.

If nothing else, it's an interesting watch. It could be a complete train wreck but, truth be told, it would be kind of cool IMO to see someone carve out an alternative lane for athletes to take, although I don't think that's Lavar's intent at all. There's no altruism at work here. But he is just brash enough to put it all out on the table and he is crazy enough to ante up and go all in on this. History suggests its an unwise move. But I'll be watching.
theanomaly
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

This guy will be a HUGE cancer for any team that drafts his son.

He is a parasite. Caveat Emptor.

Is his dad his agent too? Good luck with that.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
I actually don't have a problem with what Pops Ball is trying to do. However, the way he's chosen to go about marketing his kids and the brand certainly does give this the look of a vanity project as AP suggested. I think this is a case waiting to see if the ends justify the means. But there's good reason for skepticism.

If nothing else, it's an interesting watch. It could be a complete train wreck but, truth be told, it would be kind of cool IMO to see someone carve out an alternative lane for athletes to take, although I don't think that's Lavar's intent at all. There's no altruism at work here. But he is just brash enough to put it all out on the table and he is crazy enough to ante up and go all in on this. History suggests its an unwise move. But I'll be watching.

Starting a shoe company is a full time job in itself....the fact that he wanted whatever shoe company that eventually rejected him to do all the work while he reaped the benefits threw up a huge red flag that this venture is mainly for publicity.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
rwongega wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
SwissLakerFan wrote:
MJST wrote:
We shall see the real number sooner rather than later.

One thing about initial support, all it's going to take to maintain support is play well, that's it.

If Lonzo was a 23rd pick of the draft or something there may be something to worry about. But Lonzo is Top 2 - Top 3 and more likely than not is going to be a good NBA player. That essentially means that the shoe is going to sale more.

Thing I think some people may have forgotten in the midst of all this and criticizing of his dad or what have you, is how good Lonzo actually is, and that the hype isn't without merit. So if he goes into the NBA and for lack of a better word, ball's, then it's just going to pick up more and more hype.

I haven't seen this many eyes on a prospect since Wiggins or LeBron, that's how much attention Lonzo has, his story is featured above the NBA playoffs itself in sports media and his 'shoe' has generated more hits and attention in the mainstream than Nike, Under Armour, or Adidas have in a long time except when in controversy.

So right now, it's up to Lonzo to play well, and back it up on the court. If he does, it's gonna take off and his dad will look like a genius. If he's a bust, he won't. But I think some people have forgotten how good Lonzo is and how low that 'bust' potential is for him. Only time will tell, but if he's good? It's gonna take off, and that is what will be the most important aspect of all of this.

LMAO....Nobody is going to buy Lonzo Ball's $495 shoes from a brand that has absolutely no brand equity, regardless of how well Ball plays. The initial sales are nothing but a novelty that celebs might buy. Regular people buy Nikes because they know Nike will deliver a quality product. It's taken decades to build that trust. The endorsers certainly help, but it's still the Nike or Adidas shoe that people are buying.

Even Steph Curry's shoe at Under Armour is selling horribly not because Curry isn't a great player, but because people don't want to buy Under Armour shoes (at least not more than Nike or Adidas).

His dad is a moron if he thinks people will pick "Big Baller Brand" over Nike.

I wish i could make a thread that wouldnt be merged. So all of you could finally stop talking about the Zo2's like they are equal to other basketball stars shoes. they are not. and it's not about lonzo not being a star yet(or if at all).

The ZO2's are a PREMIUM SHOE
Does anyone in here have the kind of money it takes to purchase premium shoes when they feel like it? I know i dont. I dont shop in that section because i know what I can afford without thinking about it. And those premium shoes aint it. Sure i could scoop up a pair of Jordans, Kobe's, etc. They are not on the price level as PREMIUM SHOES>

These Shoes are less about basketball and more about a way of life. aka PREMIUM shoes.

let me help you guys out

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/The-Mans-Store/Shoes/Sneakers/cat3260731_cat000550_cat000470/c.cat

^^THATS what those shoes are. Thats why the price is super high. They are not for Basketball shoe collectors that collector regular shoes, or for fans of the sport who wear their favorite players shoes. this is not that. It's confusing for some because Lonzo and the other ball kids are ball players. so you think It must be another jordan, kobe, KD, bron shoe or something. But its not.

I'm not sure if NIke, Addidas, Under Armor understood this either. this is where Lavar has to take some of the Lose. He didnt explain this well enough. And due to the fact that people dont listen nowadays. they never heard him say "ITS A PREMIUM SHOE". So he should've been preaching that the moment the shoe dropped.

But from this point on. You now know it's a premium shoe. any further discussion about the shoe in comparison to a regular ball stars shoe is a discussion for the sake of clowning lavar because you hate his loud mouth. It's not a discussion on fact/reality.

one last time

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/The-Mans-Store/Shoes/Sneakers/cat3260731_cat000550_cat000470/c.cat

^^PREMIUM SHOE. thats the ZO2's.

I HAVE TO SHOUT OUT LOUD BY TYPING IN ALL CAPS AND INCREASING FONT SIZE.
No. the bolded is done on purpose. to bring extreme attention to something that people keep forgetting or trying to forget. It's like watching a bunch of people have an incorrect discussion about something that never happened. You can have an argument about the ball family and their shoe. but not the context of it being a normal basketball shoe like a jordan, kobe, bron, or shaq or starbury shoe. it's a premium shoe. which is why the price is so silly. now people who buy premium shoes want to talk about it in that realm fine. but there's no reason to keep having a convo about something that isnt real. just like the shoe sells was not legit. and it was always just a rumor. why argue about that? makes no sense.

What every pnp/splashmtn post culminates into.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
rwongega wrote:

I HAVE TO SHOUT OUT LOUD BY TYPING IN ALL CAPS AND INCREASING FONT SIZE.

I think I might do that to my new props quote sig from Dladi V. Should I go for it? It might better emphasize my preposterous arrogance.

DO IT.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19358145/lavar-ball-says-does-not-need-advice-kobe-bryant
theanomaly
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

Cancer...the family is cancer.

Do not draft this POS.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

The BALLDashians.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

Be crazy if his kid drops out of the top 10.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19358145/lavar-ball-says-does-not-need-advice-kobe-bryant

Oh my God, this man is totally Single White Female-ing his kid.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

There's a reason why Kobe and his parents have a falling out well many reasons namely having them on his payroll at one point.....
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
SwissLakerFan wrote:
MJST wrote:

One thing about initial support, all it's going to take to maintain support is play well, that's it.

If Lonzo was a 23rd pick of the draft or something there may be something to worry about. But Lonzo is Top 2 - Top 3 and more likely than not is going to be a good NBA player. That essentially means that the shoe is going to sale more.

Thing I think some people may have forgotten in the midst of all this and criticizing of his dad or what have you, is how good Lonzo actually is, and that the hype isn't without merit. So if he goes into the NBA and for lack of a better word, ball's, then it's just going to pick up more and more hype.

I haven't seen this many eyes on a prospect since Wiggins or LeBron, that's how much attention Lonzo has, his story is featured above the NBA playoffs itself in sports media and his 'shoe' has generated more hits and attention in the mainstream than Nike, Under Armour, or Adidas have in a long time except when in controversy.

So right now, it's up to Lonzo to play well, and back it up on the court. If he does, it's gonna take off and his dad will look like a genius. If he's a bust, he won't. But I think some people have forgotten how good Lonzo is and how low that 'bust' potential is for him. Only time will tell, but if he's good? It's gonna take off, and that is what will be the most important aspect of all of this.

LMAO....Nobody is going to buy Lonzo Ball's $495 shoes from a brand that has absolutely no brand equity, regardless of how well Ball plays. The initial sales are nothing but a novelty that celebs might buy. Regular people buy Nikes because they know Nike will deliver a quality product. It's taken decades to build that trust. The endorsers certainly help, but it's still the Nike or Adidas shoe that people are buying.

Even Steph Curry's shoe at Under Armour is selling horribly not because Curry isn't a great player, but because people don't want to buy Under Armour shoes (at least not more than Nike or Adidas).

I wish i could make a thread that wouldnt be merged. So all of you could finally stop talking about the Zo2's like they are equal to other basketball stars shoes. they are not. and it's not about lonzo not being a star yet(or if at all).

Does anyone in here have the kind of money it takes to purchase premium shoes when they feel like it? I know i dont. I dont shop in that section because i know what I can afford without thinking about it. And those premium shoes aint it. Sure i could scoop up a pair of Jordans, Kobe's, etc. They are not on the price level as PREMIUM SHOES>

These Shoes are less about basketball and more about a way of life. aka PREMIUM shoes.

let me help you guys out

^^THATS what those shoes are. Thats why the price is super high. They are not for Basketball shoe collectors that collector regular shoes, or for fans of the sport who wear their favorite players shoes. this is not that. It's confusing for some because Lonzo and the other ball kids are ball players. so you think It must be another jordan, kobe, KD, bron shoe or something. But its not.

I'm not sure if NIke, Addidas, Under Armor understood this either. this is where Lavar has to take some of the Lose. He didnt explain this well enough. And due to the fact that people dont listen nowadays. they never heard him say "ITS A PREMIUM SHOE". So he should've been preaching that the moment the shoe dropped.

But from this point on. You now know it's a premium shoe. any further discussion about the shoe in comparison to a regular ball stars shoe is a discussion for the sake of clowning lavar because you hate his loud mouth. It's not a discussion on fact/reality.

one last time

This is pretty much the best explanation. Previous shoes from basketball players have mostly fallen in this narrow window. Except for a few guys like Shaq and Marburry, basketball shoes have been in this narrow range of $100+ dollars, up to $200 something. Lonzo's shoe is trying to be the first to break in to a new market, the luxury shoe market.

Why does every player have to try to fill exactly the same market segment as Jordan? Maybe there is a market placement available out there that is basketball enthused and has a price similar to other premium tennis shoes.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
SwissLakerFan wrote:
MJST wrote:

let me help you guys out

one last time

This is pretty much the best explanation. Previous shoes from basketball players have mostly fallen in this narrow window. Except for a few guys like Shaq and Marburry, basketball shoes have been in this narrow range of $100+ dollars, up to $200 something. Lonzo's shoe is trying to be the first to break in to a new market, the luxury shoe market.

Why does every player have to try to fill exactly the same market segment as Jordan? Maybe there is a market placement available out there that is basketball enthused and has a price similar to other premium tennis shoes.

I just think if you're paying more than $200 for athletic footwear it should look like you paid more than $40.

this shoe, for instance : link

I'm no Derek Zoolander but those do not look like they'd be worn by anyone who still has the ability to walk.

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Thu May 11, 2017 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
SwissLakerFan wrote:
MJST wrote:

let me help you guys out

one last time

That market already exists. Limited release shoes get scalped all the time and don't even try to compare to these to a pair of fendis. Lonzo's shoes will be begging for people to take them off the shelves(if any store bothers to carry them)
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Unless the sneakerheads are buying up the Lonzo Ball ZO2's, they are not a premium shoe no matter what Lavar Ball says. A rich celebrity or professional athlete buying a Z02 is not an indicator of how the market is reacting to it.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
SwissLakerFan wrote:
MJST wrote:

let me help you guys out

one last time

That market already exists. Limited release shoes get scalped all the time and don't even try to compare to these to a pair of fendis. Lonzo's shoes will be begging for people to take them off the shelves(if any store bothers to carry them)

I remember some limited editions being hard to get and people marking them up aftermarket, but haven't seen any factory direct Joradn or Kobe's or whatever going for $500. The market absolutely exists. That is the market Ball wants to be in. Kobe, Jordan, etc. have not been that market though.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject:

so how many of you gonna drop 5 bills on his shoe now thats he's probably gonna be a laker?
Lonzo Ball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

ZO2's will be the hottest shoes in the game, Big Baller Brand baby!!!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Lavar Ball says any shoe company must pay $3 billion now...
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19404697/lavar-ball-now-wants-3b-shoe-cos-want-get-deal
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

This Big Baller Brand is trending downward at an accelerating rate, considering the crude that was spoken initially...it's surprising that it could pick up any more steam.

Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

If Lonzo turns out to be an All-Star and/or HOFer, then Lavar Ball is a genius. The shoe will go as his career goes.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

He's a D-bag, but that Colin Cowherd interview felt like a setup. If that girl is part of the show then put her on the same desk as the host. Having someone cackling at you from behind, 20 feet away, while the show's host is asking you questions in front of you, isn't fair game.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
He's a D-bag, but that Colin Cowherd interview felt like a setup. If that girl is part of the show then put her on the same desk as the host. Having someone cackling at you from behind, 20 feet away, while the show's host is asking you questions in front of you, isn't fair game.

She trashed before on another segment about the way he was raising his kids, so he had every right to check her. She was trying to put him down. And anytime anyone gets in a dig at Whitlock, I'm on board. And the way she accused him of threatening her, that's how men these days get tripped up by people putting words in their mouth. I'm glad he shut her up.

https://twitter.com/mickleburrbank/status/864959810978013184
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

Guess I'm not the only one that feels the same way about how the studio is setup. If they wanted to make it friendlier to the guests, it should be like how the Howard Stern show is.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13
Jump to: