LaVar Ball (Lonzo Ball's father)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
He's a D-bag, but that Colin Cowherd interview felt like a setup. If that girl is part of the show then put her on the same desk as the host. Having someone cackling at you from behind, 20 feet away, while the show's host is asking you questions in front of you, isn't fair game.

She trashed before on another segment about the way he was raising his kids, so he had every right to check her. She was trying to put him down. And anytime anyone gets in a dig at Whitlock, I'm on board. And the way she accused him of threatening her, that's how men these days get tripped up by people putting words in their mouth. I'm glad he shut her up.

https://twitter.com/mickleburrbank/status/864959810978013184

Yoooo!! That was wild!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject:

Great points.

Sports interviews should be limited to pablum, and statements designed for public consumption. Even though Ball's father was on show to promote product, don't ask him pertinent questions about the product.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

Wow. Leahy really tried to bait Lavar.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:

Kinda, but LB wasn't helping matters with making her talk to his back, and that was before she ratcheted up the bait tone. She was definitely trying to trigger a reaction.

I was wondering why he kept saying "I'm afraid of you, I'm afraid of you", but there were things that occurred before that interview that explained it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

Kinda, but LB wasn't helping matters with making her talk to his back, and that was before she ratcheted up the bait tone. She was definitely trying to trigger a reaction.

I was wondering why he kept saying "I'm afraid of you, I'm afraid of you", but there were things that occurred before that interview that explained it.

I think he was mocking her...implying like she's a scary B as a put down.
rebirthoftheM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

Probably something to do with her claim that his kids are "terrified" of him, and are mindless drones who only do what their dad tells them to. She says she didn't accuse him of child abuse, but that's semantics... what she described is abuse. In one swoop she not only insulted Lavar and his wife, but also Lonzo. Disgraceful.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

She disrespected him in multiple ways. She got what she deserved. To make matters worse she pulled the victim, "you don't like women card" and the "I'm a helpless woman and he just threatened me". Some pretty vindictive behavior on her part.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

rebirthoftheM wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

Probably something to do with her claim that his kids are "terrified" of him, and are mindless drones who only do what their dad tells them to. She says she didn't accuse him of child abuse, but that's semantics... what she described is abuse. In one swoop she not only insulted Lavar and his wife, but also Lonzo. Disgraceful.

Yep, I should have specified that, but I agree. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if that's true. Lavar's a big dude, and his ego matches. I can easily see him dominating/manipulating them into submission, especially if he, like Joe Jackson, saw to it that their kids stayed on the agenda that Pop's wants.

Lonzo's quiet demeanor enforces that perception.
theanomaly
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

The guy is a scumbag.

I wouldn't want him or his offspring representing my team.

Karma.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:

theanomaly wrote:
The guy is a scumbag.

Karma.

Completely unfounded. He's a dad. Whether you like his methods or not, he's positioned his kids to go to the next level & beyond.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
She disrespected him in multiple ways. She got what she deserved. To make matters worse she pulled the victim, "you don't like women card" and the "I'm a helpless woman and he just threatened me". Some pretty vindictive behavior on her part.

Yeah, well he was an idiot too. He told her she had something coming to her. That's a borderline threat, even if it's chicken****.

His behavior provoked her and her behavior provoked him as well. But he started the whole thing by being dismissive to her the entire interview.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
He's a D-bag, but that Colin Cowherd interview felt like a setup. If that girl is part of the show then put her on the same desk as the host. Having someone cackling at you from behind, 20 feet away, while the show's host is asking you questions in front of you, isn't fair game.

She trashed before on another segment about the way he was raising his kids, so he had every right to check her. She was trying to put him down. And anytime anyone gets in a dig at Whitlock, I'm on board. And the way she accused him of threatening her, that's how men these days get tripped up by people putting words in their mouth. I'm glad he shut her up.

Go in your work place and tell a co-worker they have something coming to them. I'm willing to bet they will take that comment as some type of threat.

There are ways to communicate a threat besides "I'm going to beat your ass"

I have a young daughter. If some punk kid at her school said, "You have something coming to you" then I'd consider it a threat for sure. Is it a chicken **** threat? Yeah. But a threat nonetheless.

Last edited by Krispy Kreme on Fri May 19, 2017 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
theanomaly wrote:
The guy is a scumbag.

Karma.

Completely unfounded. He's a dad. Whether you like his methods or not, he's positioned his kids to go to the next level & beyond.

Tell that to Todd Marinovich, which this situation is very reminiscent of.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
dumpaling
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Go in your work place and tell a co-worker they have something coming to them. I'm willing to bet they will take that comment as some type of threat.

I have a young daughter. If some punk kid at her school said, "You have something coming to you" then I'd consider it a threat for sure. Is it a chicken **** threat? Yeah. But a threat nonetheless.

Except that he was responding to them saying that he was being too harsh... he said if they wanna talk trash to him then he was going to talk trash back...that's what was coming to her.

I would argue that if a reasonable person watches the whole tape, they would conclude that he was not threatening some future action, just explaining the reason for his actions that had just taken place.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

theanomaly wrote:
Cancer...the family is cancer.

Do not draft this POS.

says the guy with 14 posts. BS!!!
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
so how many of you gonna drop 5 bills on his shoe now thats he's probably gonna be a laker?

I'm not but who cares. I don't buy premium shoes ever, I don't even buy Air Jordans.

That being said, I do shop at Nordstrom's and so does my wife and I have seen PLENTY of shoes there that are even more expensive than the Ball shoe. They seem to sell them out just fine. All the rich Mexicans come up and buy them!!

Man, who Friggin cares about any of this?? Nobody has tried what he is trying, but to think that there is absolutely no market for it, could be very wrong.

His dad has a big mouth, but his son has luckily backed that big mouth up without calling him out.

Any of you giving him grief are ONLY playing into his whole scheme. His scheme is to keep you all talking. Any news is good news for him. He doesn't care how many of you hate on him, he has faith in his sons and think they are going to light it up. If they do, all his yapping has kind of worked. I can tell you right now, that IF Lonzo is successful in the NBA, his bros are gonna get their chances too. Tends to often happen that way.

Ignore the old hoot and just let Lonzo play!
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

I will probably NEVER side with Lavar again in my life but that gal was a class A biatch!!! She took unfair shots at him and he fired back. Not as eloquently as he could have but yeah she totally deserved it. So tired of women taking very rude and offensive approaches towards men, and if they react negatively they are either accused of being violent or sexist. F these women. If they are gonna dish it out, then they gotta take it.

Good for Lavar for sticking up for himself. If I were him, I would never go back there. Trust me, he is going to garner a lot more interviews in his life and would love to see him stick it to that show.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:

I will probably NEVER side with Lavar again in my life but that gal was a class A biatch!!! She took unfair shots at him and he fired back. Not as eloquently as he could have but yeah she totally deserved it. So tired of women taking very rude and offensive approaches towards men, and if they react negatively they are either accused of being violent or sexist. F these women. If they are gonna dish it out, then they gotta take it.

Good for Lavar for sticking up for himself. If I were him, I would never go back there. Trust me, he is going to garner a lot more interviews in his life and would love to see him stick it to that show.

Interesting how if a female sports personality takes an aggressive stance during an interview, she is accused of "taking very rude and offensive approaches towards men". But if a man does the same thing, he's just a hard hitting reporter who tries to get to the truth. Given what you have said here, I'm not sure you really want to be lecturing people on sexism.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Charlamagne makes some good points.

He takes it too far with the Emmett Till comment, but this was a complete set up by Leahy and Fox Sports. LaVar took it too far with the "Stay in your lane" and "You got it coming" remarks, but it's to be expected with his character and lack of media savvy.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
so how many of you gonna drop 5 bills on his shoe now thats he's probably gonna be a laker?

I'm not but who cares. I don't buy premium shoes ever, I don't even buy Air Jordans.

That being said, I do shop at Nordstrom's and so does my wife and I have seen PLENTY of shoes there that are even more expensive than the Ball shoe. They seem to sell them out just fine. All the rich Mexicans come up and buy them!!

Man, who Friggin cares about any of this?? Nobody has tried what he is trying, but to think that there is absolutely no market for it, could be very wrong.

His dad has a big mouth, but his son has luckily backed that big mouth up without calling him out.

Any of you giving him grief are ONLY playing into his whole scheme. His scheme is to keep you all talking. Any news is good news for him. He doesn't care how many of you hate on him, he has faith in his sons and think they are going to light it up. If they do, all his yapping has kind of worked. I can tell you right now, that IF Lonzo is successful in the NBA, his bros are gonna get their chances too. Tends to often happen that way.

Ignore the old hoot and just let Lonzo play!

And that means what really? They are completely different types of shoes. People are going to pay hundreds to thousands of dollars for fine italian leather shoes. They probably wouldn't do the same for athletic shoes. The only people who would drop big bucks for the shoes Lavar is trying to sell are celebrities or sneakerheads. If he can't get the latter customers, then he is pretty much setting himself up for a pretty small niche market among celebs. Theres a reason why MJ is probably the most successful shoe salesman. He leveraged his name as one of the best basketball players of all time to a product that is affordable to anyone.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
Ted wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

I am by no means a Lavar Ball fan (LOL at that), but in this case he wasn't wrong. And that was in NO WAY a threat, get real. He basically meant "if you talk smack about me expect to get it right back at you". He kept saying I'm afraid of her, and I can see why. Intentionally or unintentionally, Kristine Leahy played into the poor white girl vs big evil black man stereotype.

Say what you want about the man but he saw that coming from a mile away, he tried to disengage and she kept trying to trip him up. Complete set up.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject:

That segment was absolutely bizarre.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject:

Leahy trying to play the victim card. To be expected. You know what you said.

People saying Lavar isn't media savvy? That is funny. He is getting invited to more interviews and is in the media more than anyone now. I would say that is pretty damn media savvy.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
Ted wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

you do mean after that co-worker went around the office saying you abuse your kids among other comments right?

and i'm sure you'd first make sure that other punk kid said it for no reason and out of the blue first, without being baited into it. Or would you ignore it if you found out your daughter ran around yelling about how the little boy was abused by his father for no reason?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
theanomaly wrote:
Cancer...the family is cancer.

Do not draft this POS.

says the guy with 14 posts. BS!!!

He's not at Big Baller post count status for sure. 5K is the minimum.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13
Jump to: