Suns didn't draft Kawhi Leonard in part, because he sweated too much during interview

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Suns didn't draft Kawhi Leonard in part, because he sweated too much during interview

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/05/11/suns-didnt-draft-kawhi-leonard-in-part-because-he-sweated-too-much-during-interview/

Quote:
Suns didn’t draft Kawhi Leonard, in part, because he sweated too much during interview

A snapshot of the 2011 NBA draft:

13. Markieff Morris, Suns
14. Marcus Morris, Rockets
15. Kawhi Leonard, Pacers (for Spurs)
The Morrii have had nice careers, but why did Phoenix pass on Leonard, who has become one of the NBA’s best players?

Paul Coro of The Arizona Republic (hat tip: Scott Howard):

But with a front office conducting its first draft in Phoenix, then-General Manager Lance Blanks’ staff did not have Leonard in the discussion. Part of the Suns’ knock on Leonard, beyond his perimeter shot, was how nervously he acted in a draft combine interview, when he sweated through his suit.

That’s from a 2015 article, but the humor and lesson are lasting.

Teams sometimes drive themselves crazy in the pre-draft process by overanalyzing players. Interviews are important, but like every factor, nobody should overreact to them.

The Spurs didn’t see a sweaty wreck. They saw a good defender with potential to develop offensively and the diligence to work at his craft. And they were very right.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Suns didn't draft Kawhi Leonard in part, because he sweated too much during interview

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/05/11/suns-didnt-draft-kawhi-leonard-in-part-because-he-sweated-too-much-during-interview/

Quote:
Suns didn’t draft Kawhi Leonard, in part, because he sweated too much during interview

The Morrii have had nice careers, but why did Phoenix pass on Leonard, who has become one of the NBA’s best players?

But with a front office conducting its first draft in Phoenix, then-General Manager Lance Blanks’ staff did not have Leonard in the discussion. Part of the Suns’ knock on Leonard, beyond his perimeter shot, was how nervously he acted in a draft combine interview, when he sweated through his suit.

Teams sometimes drive themselves crazy in the pre-draft process by overanalyzing players. Interviews are important, but like every factor, nobody should overreact to them.

The Spurs didn’t see a sweaty wreck. They saw a good defender with potential to develop offensively and the diligence to work at his craft. And they were very right.

On the other hand, if the sun to pick him and he doesn't work out, we'd be reading a story about how idiotic they were to ignore him sweating through his suit
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

#Oopsie
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Suns didn't draft Kawhi Leonard in part, because he sweated too much during interview

activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

On the other hand, if the sun to pick him and he doesn't work out, we'd be reading a story about how idiotic they were to ignore him sweating through his suit

Either you are great at evaluating talent or you aren't, seems the Spurs have quite a knack for it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

Too cheap to pay to contend and too dumb to draft good players...the story of the Phoenix Suns.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

Bwahaha

"I shook his hands and he's got sweaty palms."
"Must be the nerves, take one of the Morris brothers instead."
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

this is funny. but truth is, i highly doubt he would've become the two way star player he has become under the suns. I just aint seeing it.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
this is funny. but truth is, i highly doubt he would've become the two way star player he has become under the suns. I just aint seeing it.

This. Kawhi was just a raw player when he joined the league. One of the knocks was that he had NO jump shot. Now he's one of the league leaders in 3-point shooting. Who knows if the Suns could've developed that with him.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Suns didn't draft Kawhi Leonard in part, because he sweated too much during interview

kobeandgary wrote:

Either you are great at evaluating talent or you aren't, seems the Spurs have quite a knack for it.

The Spurs are heads and shoulders above everything else. They always grab strong players late in the draft.
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:

Culture and having the right staff does a LOT. This is why a lot of top picks fail, NBA and even NFL. And it's why top tier teams can draft low and still turn players into stars.

I even argue that Kobe may not have been "KOBE" if he hadn't been picked by us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject:

R-Tistic wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

Culture and having the right staff does a LOT. This is why a lot of top picks fail, NBA and even NFL. And it's why top tier teams can draft low and still turn players into stars.

a scout once explained to me in the late 90s how complicated it is to judge a draft pick...they don't necessarily focus on skills or anything. he mentioned people don't realize how much marketability is factored in. they'll often choose a high marketable player over a lower one, despite the skill.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
R-Tistic wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

a scout once explained to me in the late 90s how complicated it is to judge a draft pick...they don't necessarily focus on skills or anything. he mentioned people don't realize how much marketability is factored in. they'll often choose a high marketable player over a lower one, despite the skill.
Well.. It is a business after all. Think about it like this. If you're one of the lower 15 or so teams year in and year out. What's your goal if you're the owner? To sales seats and player jerseys. This is where you will get your money from. So yeah, I could see some losing owner choosing someone that is highly marketable over someone who may end up being a better choice down the line basketball wise.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:

Kawhi lives in the gym and apparently has no life outside of basketball. I think he would have been great no matter where he went. Freak athlete + insane work ethic = great.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Dude was sweating at the thought of being drafted by the Suns.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

They signed AC away from us, too. He was the only guy whose hyperhydrosis gave Pat Eww-ing's a run for its money. I wonder if his FT lane puddles caused one of KJ's injuries or something.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

They signed AC away from us, too. He was the only guy whose hyperhydrosis gave Pat Eww-ing's a run for its money. I wonder if his FT lane puddles caused one of KJ's injuries or something.

all that sweat...all that pent up...you know.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: