Phil Having a Rough Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

Phil the GM/President is making out to be exactly what most of us thought he'd be. Marginal to below average.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Phil the GM/President is making out to be exactly what most of us thought he'd be. Marginal to below average.

Well I didn't think he'd be such a jerk in public. A jerk, yes, based on the past, but not such a jerk.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Kobe is just trolling people with these comments

http://thebiglead.com/2017/04/27/kobe-bryant-thinks-phil-jackson-and-carmelo-anthonys-relationship-will-be-fine-after-a-few-championships/

Quote:
Kobe Bryant Thinks Phil Jackson and Carmelo Anthony's Relationship Will Be Fine After a Few Championships

Kobe Bryant premiered a film at Tribeca on Sunday and Knicks President Phil Jackson attended. As thanks for showing up, Kobe told the New York Post that there is hope for Phil and Carmelo Anthony in New York. Based on what? Why the success of two of the greatest players of all-time, obviously.Via the New York Post:

“Not from what I’ve been through with Phil,’’ Bryant told The Post on Wednesday in an interview to promote the short being shown at the festival through Saturday. “Michael had his rough times with him as well. The history is you get through rough times after you win a good amount of championships. We certainly had our rocky times, but we still stuck to it, we figured out our way through it and came out better because of it. I think the most important thing is sticking to it, being patient. Sometimes things work out. Sometimes they don’t.”

That’s some deep musecage (bleep) right there. Sometimes things work out. Sometimes they don’t. Like with Phil Jackson and the Knicks. More from Kobe.

“From my experience, from what I had with Phil — again it’s a different situation, he was coaching the team — but you can get through rocky times,’’ Bryant said. “They certainly were there in Chicago and when he was in L.A. But the championships can overshadow that.’’

Let’s take a moment to analyze this.

In Chicago, Phil took over a 47-35 team that had been to the Eastern Conference Championship and lost to the eventual NBA Champion Detroit Pistons. Michael Jordan was 26 and teamed with a 24-year old Scottie Pippen. The Bulls went back to the ECF in 1990 with Phil and then won the next three titles and six overall.

In Los Angeles, Phil took over a 31-19 team (4-seed) that had been to the second round of the playoffs and lost to the eventual champion Spurs in a lockout shortened season. Kobe was 21 and just getting to know 27-year old Shaquille O’Neal. The Lakers won titles each of the first three seasons Jackson was coaching in Los Angeles and five overall.

When Phil took over the Knicks in March 2014, the Knicks were finishing up a 37-45 season and about to hire Derek Fisher. Carmelo Anthony was 29. The Knicks have gone a combined 80-166 during Phil’s first three full seasons in New York. Zero playoff appearances overall.

The time for championships solving problems is over. To even compare where Kobe and Michael and Carmelo were in their careers when they began dealing with Phil Jackson is dumb at best. Kobe and Michael hadn’t even reached their peaks and Phil was immediately associated with their doing the only thing they ever cared about – winning.

That’s not happening in New York. Not anytime soon and not under the current regime. The good news is Carmelo Anthony and Phil Jackson are only under contract for two more years. Then maybe some enterprising coach can step in, ride a 23-year old Kristaps Porzingis to postseason success and coast on that forever.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

This thing with Porzingis looks like a real thing.

Meeting between Kristaps Porzingis’ brother and Phil Jackson does little to bridge gap between two sides

Quote:
Apparently Porzingis can't do much about the future, either, with Jackson unrelenting in his philosophies while aiming to increase his influence over the coaching staff. According to sources, one of Jackson's objectives is to tailor the workouts and training sessions around learning the triangle offense.

"I think I've got to do a little bit more on-scene, on-target mentoring," Jackson said last month.

As recently as last week, Hornacek said he reached out to Porzingis via text message but indicated there was no response.

LINK
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Would Phil trade us Porzingis for the #2 pick? (And would you guys do that trade?)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject:

How much would Porzingis forgo if he leaves the Knicks after his rookie contract?
LHQ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject:

PJ should stick to coaching or management. Not both.
He doesn't have on him, sorry. Hell, better stick with coaching..
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject:

Kudos to Porzingis
Only 21 and two years into the league and he's showing he doesn't want to be a part of a drama dysfunctional NY Knicks franchise.
He's puttting the pressure on them now to be better.
That's how competitive he is.

Phil is part of the dysfunction but Knicks have been like that before Phil and throughout the James Dolan era.

I have to believe there is something that sets Porzingis apart from your typical young NBA emerging star. They're ussually just happy getting hyped and knowing a big max contract is coming. This kid is different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject:

LHQ wrote:

Phil has made the drama and dysfunction worse but it has always been there with Dolan running the show.

Before Phil was hired Dolan was hearing protests to get him removed as owner. The fans have seen this for a long time.

Phil should do the right thing and actually coach the team because if he really wants them to play and learn a system like his he is the best teacher. You look at te Warriors once the foundation is in place even a crappy coach like Mike Brown can continue that system being run. Phil should have coached the team and system he wanted installed then hired a guy to take his place to continue doing it. His insistence to run his system and style while not coaching it has definitely been a major problem in the dysfunction in NY.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject:

Knicks will not renew contract of Josh Longstaff, Kristaps Porzingis' favorite assistant coach

LINK
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Would Phil trade us Porzingis for the #2 pick? (And would you guys do that trade?)

No. He would not. The Knicks would get rid of him before that happens.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

No. He would not. The Knicks would get rid of him before that happens.

What about the #2 pick AND Randle?

TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject:

This is just Phil being Phil. He thinks he's being smart and knows better than everyone else in the room by alienating Porzingis and not catering to his needs and opinions on how the Knicks should play (which are perfectly reasonable, by the way), because in his mind, what does this stupid kid know that he and his 10 championships don't? In reality, the game and its players have passed him by, and his condescending style of leadership isn't going to help the Knicks escape basketball purgatory anytime soon. Dude is arrogant, stubborn as hell, and stuck in a bygone era - that's a terrible combination for the president and chief decision maker of an NBA franchise.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
LHQ wrote:

Phil has made the drama and dysfunction worse but it has always been there with Dolan running the show.

Before Phil was hired Dolan was hearing protests to get him removed as owner. The fans have seen this for a long time.

Saying drama has always been there because of Dolan running the show is like saying Magic is already a failure as a front office executive without making a significant move: it absolves the reality of the current situation.

Dolan or not, it doesn't change the drama in NY is currently on Phil's head. More importantly, it's leading to failure: something not associated with Phil during his tenure as a coach.

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Phil should do the right thing and actually coach the team because if he really wants them to play and learn a system like his he is the best teacher. You look at te Warriors once the foundation is in place even a crappy coach like Mike Brown can continue that system being run. Phil should have coached the team and system he wanted installed then hired a guy to take his place to continue doing it. His insistence to run his system and style while not coaching it has definitely been a major problem in the dysfunction in NY.

Just because he can fix it with coaching doesn't erase the narative: he's a terrible front office executive. Even if he wasn't in NY or with Dolan, the drama and failure would still follow him as a front office executive becuase why he's failing has little to do with either one. That's the most ironic thing about this whole ordeal: he's failing word for word on his biggest critique many here have pointed out.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
This is just Phil being Phil. He thinks he's being smart and knows better than everyone else in the room by alienating Porzingis and not catering to his needs and opinions on how the Knicks should play (which are perfectly reasonable, by the way), because in his mind, what does this stupid kid know that he and his 10 championships don't? In reality, the game and its players have passed him by, and his condescending style of leadership isn't going to help the Knicks escape basketball purgatory anytime soon. Dude is arrogant, stubborn as hell, and stuck in a bygone era - that's a terrible combination for the president and chief decision maker of an NBA franchise.

I agree with this.

The thing about Phil is some of the things that made him a great coach (tweaking players publicly, etc) are the exact opposite of what you want in a front office person.

While Phil is good at managing teams to get results, he has never really been a people person and has rubbed many the wrong way at all of his NBA stops.

You can't argue with his success as a coach, but I thought he was a bad hire as a front office guy. He isn't the worst in the league, but he is certainly nowhere near the top either.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Just had to bump this thread.
https://sports.yahoo.com/kristaps-porzingis-trade-rumor-causes-162503753.html
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Just had to bump this thread.
https://sports.yahoo.com/kristaps-porzingis-trade-rumor-causes-162503753.html

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse in NY definitely threw my share of stones at the Knicks... then I realized Maglinka replaced the house walls with glass.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject:

Having initially thought Phil went bonkers, I think there is a method here.
Kristaps walked out on an exit meeting. He hasn't made contact with the team,
Phil met his bro and they didn't come to much of an agreement.

Phil is asking for too much. A price that if a team pays, he would probably be setting them up well. I read when the Suns called he asked for the #4, Booker AND Bender. He wants two lottery picks or two future potential all-star calber players for Kristaps.

Teams have backed off a little thinking he is not serious about trading him.

I'm sure lots of teams call but lets see what he actually would agree to. Of that reported offer to the Suns that the Suns did not agree to, I think it shows what ball park he is looking for. I mean I think very highly of Porzingis' talent and I wished the Lakers had drafted him if Towns was not available (in hindsight) but I wouldn't do Booker #4 Bender for KP if I'm the Suns. That's way too much to give up.

This is about (bleep) with Porzingis' brother and his camp and sending a message to Kristaps and Melo as much as it's anything else.

Still, Phil has made a big mess in NY. No doubt about it. It's ugly.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

I do not want carmelo anthony in a laker uniform.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

NBA trade rumors: Knicks' reputation keeps taking hits: 'They’re alienating all players'

A good read about the current reputation of the Knicks.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

And to think, we took DAR ahead of Porzingis.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Apparently Phil didn't just have a rough day, he also had a rough night:

Draft prospect says Phil Jackson dozed during his workout with Knicks
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: