Has the NBA paid off their CP3 debt to the Lakers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has the NBA paid off their CP3 debt to the Lakers?
Yes
13%
 13%  [ 17 ]
No
86%
 86%  [ 107 ]
Total Votes : 124

D's Advocate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

Never. I used to defend Stern because it's a hard job and everyone wants to side with the players. But what happened then was completely gutless and immoral. He let Cuban and Gilbert turn him into their (bleep).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject:

It was done to appease Lebron/Gilbert and give rise to an eventual competitor/superteam/foil in the West (Golden State). Had Kobe been given the proper supporting cast, Lebron would have a smaller window to shine.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

The league will always have a huge financial interest in the Lakers success. I don't think the draft is fixed but I also trust that if the league ever has a dishonest bone in its body, the Lakers will always be the recipient.

Last edited by Treble Clef on Sat May 20, 2017 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
No. Because there was no debt to pay back.
The league had a right to veto the trade as the Hornets were owned by the other teams. But can Lakers fans finally let go?

Except the league vetoed the trade when David Stern was part owner of the Hornets.

Took away Kobe Bryant's remaining prime/championship shot years.

I'd argue that's 2 #1s and a Top 3.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

Kobe got an Achilles rupture, so hell to the no!

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
epak wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
epak wrote:
The league had a right to veto the trade as the Hornets were owned by the other teams. But can Lakers fans finally let go?

They would have let that trade go through if it wasn't for the Cavs owner crying like a BABY

Which as a part 1/30th owner of the Hornets, he had a right to do no?

Yes he did
but it was based off of bias and some BS and anyone that says different is on some BS

no, because it robbed us of so many things. another championship(s) for kobe. having the superteams before everyone else with cp3 and dwight. it would have prevented a couple of lebron championships and probably the warriors championship. then all the free agents that didn't come afterwards. the championships is the worst because that's really the only thing lakers care about, unlike other teams. we've won a lot of them, the other things like making playoffs or good draft picks pale in comparison.
what's the most annoying part is gilbert complaining about the potential superteam coming to LA, and then the past few years he has been winning precisely due to the thing he complained about.
[edit] i wasn't saying no to noah, i was agreeing. no to the OP question.

CP3 and Kobe was the foundation of another dynasty. Instead, not only were the Lakers denied that. They effectively lost LO and Pau, then reacted out of desperation and buried themselves in high risk moves (Dwight and Nash) that backfired and they lost more assets (cap-space, picks, Bynum) and bad coaching hires. the Lakers have been put through the ringer because of the veto these last few years, sure some of it was from their own bad decisions. But if the Veto hadn't happened Kobe would very likely be retiring right now with two more championships and Mitch and Jim would still have their jobs.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

I doubt Kobe CP3 and Bynum/post-injury Dwight get them past all three of OKC/SAS and Miami. OKC beat us 4-1 that year and got beat by Miami 4-1. The one thing we had against Miami was size but without Pau we would have lost that advantage.

There's a lot of what ifs but at the end of the day, Kobe was getting older (Still a great player), Bynum's knee problems were chronic and if we did get Dwight he was a shell of his former self. CP3 was in his prime but we know now he's not THAT guy.

I doubt we win another championship. Probably don't even make it to the finals to be honest but that's just my opinion.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
I doubt Kobe CP3 and Bynum/post-injury Dwight get them past all three of OKC/SAS and Miami. OKC beat us 4-1 that year and got beat by Miami 4-1. The one thing we had against Miami was size but without Pau we would have lost that advantage.

There's a lot of what ifs but at the end of the day, Kobe was getting older (Still a great player), Bynum's knee problems were chronic and if we did get Dwight he was a shell of his former self. CP3 was in his prime but we know now he's not THAT guy.

I doubt we win another championship. Probably don't even make it to the finals to be honest but that's just my opinion.

Its not just Kobe and CP3 or even Dwight. Its the other FA's that would've all seriously considered joining a core of Kobe and CP3. I'm sure some of the following would've wanted to join,

LMA
Klay Thompson (before he resigned with GS)
Trevor Ariza (part II of his Laker career)
Dwayne Wade
Eric Bledsoe
Chris Bosh
Kyle Lowry
Maybe even Nowitzki

the FA landscape would've been completely different for the Lakers. That's why i think 2 chips would've been very possible.
LakersAlldaWay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

If CP3 deal goes through, Kobe doesn't rupture his achilles. There's nothing the league can do to pay that back imo.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Contract the Pelicans and give us Anthony Davis; then we're even.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject:

To answer the OP: Not even close, and interest is accruing. Only when the Lakers pass the Celtics in titles won will there be any question about resolving the debt.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
To answer the OP: Not even close, and interest is accruing. Only when the Lakers pass the Celtics in titles won will there be any question about resolving the debt.

More of an if than a when at this point. Hopefully, we pass them in in the next 5-10 years.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
epak wrote:

Right, and the package they got from the Clippers was SO much better than ours.

Again, they had full right to do so.

Depends on who you ask. Something think Stern functioning as commissioner and de facto Hornets owner was a massive conflict of interest and never should've been allowed to happen in the first place. So no, whether or not they had full right to do so isn't settled by any means.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: