queen
66%
 66%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 50

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject:

Freddie Mercury had the greatest pipes in the history of rock. No one had his range, not even a crack when he shifted up to falsetto. He also had an incredible sense of timing and flawless tempo.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Queen has a few great songs that are played over and over, and the rest ranges from mediocre to crap.

I'm not too familiar with Journey, but I know their hits. Meh.

That's a very exaggerated point. But what ever you want to say or not say about their catalogue, Queen is one of the greatest rock acts of all time.

Journey? Fun, but not even close.

No, that's what I relieve believe. I'm just not a big fan of their overall work. Do I sing along every time I hear a Queen song on the radio? Heck yeah! But there's a reason most people don't go beyond the hits because there's a big drop in quality. Freddy's voice and stage persona (and his premature death) has played a part in making Queen an iconic band, perhaps overshadowing the mediocrity of much of their catalogue.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
But there's a reason most people don't go beyond the hits because there's a big drop in quality. Freddy's voice and stage persona (and his premature death) has played a part in making Queen an iconic band, perhaps overshadowing the mediocrity of much of their catalogue.

I think that's overstated, but I understand what you mean. Queen did have some weak material in the catalogue.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

JOURNEY:
Don't Stop!... (Tony did NOT get whacked)
Open Arms (eesh, this was a mega hit, points detracted for trying to cop Air Supply's styles)
Wheel In The Sky (another song used in a Sopranos credits, btw)
Any Way You Want It (I like that one, that's catchy and upbeat)
Separate Ways (goat video, not GOAT, goat)
Only The Young (know this from opening credits of Vision Quest, never heard it on radio)

That's all I got.

They had a few others that were catchy -- Lights, Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin', Who's Crying Now?, Send Her My Love, Edge of the Blade, After the Fall, I'll be Alright Without You, but nothing really rises to world-beating level. My favorite song of theirs is Winds of March, not that anyone's ever heard it (HERE). Queen pretty clearly hit a higher, more consistent peak.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

Lights is probably my favorite Journey song. Love Perry's voice on that one. But I think the clear winner is Queen
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

JOURNEY:
Open Arms (eesh, this was a mega hit, points detracted for trying to cop Air Supply's styles)
Only The Young (know this from opening credits of Vision Quest, never heard it on radio)

That's all I got.

They had a few others that were catchy -- Lights, Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin', Who's Crying Now?, Send Her My Love, Edge of the Blade, After the Fall, I'll be Alright Without You, but nothing really rises to world-beating level. My favorite song of theirs is Winds of March, not that anyone's ever heard it (HERE). Queen pretty clearly hit a higher, more consistent peak.

Just looking on YT. I did miss 4 of their hits/semihits. Lovin/Touchin, Lights, and Faithfully I couldn't conjure up. Yep at Who's Cryin Now? That's one of their songs I don't prefer, and I'm talkin disliking it since it was newish. Never liked it. Differences in style is all, didn't like those bluesy "city" type songs, but I defo forgot it. That song reminds me of You Belong To The City by Glenn Frey, which I also change whenever it comes on.

Oh, Sherrie is another one that came to mind after the fact, though I think that's Perry solo.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Queen has a few great songs that are played over and over, and the rest ranges from mediocre to crap.

I'm not too familiar with Journey, but I know their hits. Meh.

That's a very exaggerated point. But what ever you want to say or not say about their catalogue, Queen is one of the greatest rock acts of all time.

Journey? Fun, but not even close.

No, that's what I relieve believe. I'm just not a big fan of their overall work. Do I sing along every time I hear a Queen song on the radio? Heck yeah! But there's a reason most people don't go beyond the hits because there's a big drop in quality. Freddy's voice and stage persona (and his premature death) has played a part in making Queen an iconic band, perhaps overshadowing the mediocrity of much of their catalogue.

There's no doubt some weaker works in their anthology, but they in no way diminish the overall body of their best work. And trust me, as a rock fan that came of age in the 70's and early 80's, Queen was a mega-act BEFORE Freddie's passing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

Journey was actually more interesting BEFORE Steve Perry when they were Jazz/Prog Rock band.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Queen. Journey sucks. They're only liked by middle aged white people from the east coast.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Fun fact: Journey and Queen were both produced by Roy Thomas Baker during the same time period when he was also producing The Cars, Devo, Foreigner, and Motley Crue. From Wikipedia, here are four albums that Baker produced back-to-back:

The Cars: The Cars (1978)
Queen: Jazz (1978)
Journey: Infinity (1978)
Journey: Evolution (1979)
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Gellollo wrote:
I didn't grow up with either, so I only know 2 Journey songs (Don't Stop Believing' and Open Arms). However, when I discovered Queen, it turns out they made every frickin' commercial song ever made (I Want to Break Free, You're My Best Friend, We Are the Champions, We Will Rock You, I Want it All, etc.). But I'm also Filipino, so I hear Journey a lot.

I'm not a superfan by any means, but I do like both of them. Can't go wrong with them in a karaoke setting (was that a disrespectful comment?).

Gonna do a no looksies song list including the ones you cited for both as a classic rock relevance meter. Like both, not a "fan" per se of either, but I am a fan of the typical rotation of classic rock (bleep) that's been played for decades on FM. Some songs I like for both. Generally, as driving music, background music or radio ga-ga, I'm cool with both. They both had their places, though I don't think they occupied the same level.

I would've posited Journey vs Foreigner, frankly. I'd go Foreigner easily over Journey, btw. Lou Gramm's voice had bollz that Perry's lacked. Perry was an excellent singer as most will credit him, but I think that's more in a Pat Benatar way. Great voice for that genre of music. Mercury had an operatic voice and range, period. Great in and of itself. He did have the odd heavy voice style song a la McCartney's screaming in Oh Darling or Helter Skelter. That said, Perry was even more consistent in style than Mercury, either suggesting his range wasn't as wide as Freddie's or that Journey's range as a band wasn't as deep as Queen's. Maybe a bit of both.

QUEEN:
We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions
You're My Best Friend
I Want To Break Free
I Want It All
Bohemian Rhapsody (the penultimate song for either, Queen wins this)
Fat Bottomed Girls
Stone Cold Crazy
Bicycle
Radio Ga-Ga
Killer Queen
Another One Bites The Dust
Somebody To Love

JOURNEY:

That's all I got.

^^

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

And trust me, as a rock fan that came of age in the 70's and early 80's, Queen was a mega-act BEFORE Freddie's passing.

Oh, I'm aware of that, even though that was before my time. Death, in a way, "helps" to maintain the intrigue surrounding rock artists. There's no new bad material, great songs are played over and over, etc.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:

We need a The Cars vs ?? thread. Who liked The Cars?!

My fave Cars song.

DaMule may have been IN this crowd.

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

I'm only a casual observer of this genre and even I know this is a silly comparison
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

My fave Cars song.

I'm a big fan of The Cars. It's a shame that Benjamin Orr died young, but I still liked the reunion album a few years back. As far as I know, they've been dormant since then.

That was an era that saw some amazing debut albums in a diversity of styles: The Cars, Foreigner, Boston, Dire Straits, Elvis Costello, The Police. I'm probably forgetting 5-10 others. It seemed like some new band was coming out with an amazing and original debut album every few months.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

I retract my statement of Journey sucking just a little bit. The ONLY song I like of their is Who's Crying Now?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

My fave Cars song.

Always thought Elliot Easton was a very unique musician. highly underrated band.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

I voted for Journey based on the strength of the first two albums, the Guitarist (Niel Schon) and Keyboards player (Greg Rollie) left Santana to form the band and their style was heavy jamming/progressive rock.

I saw them live back then at the Santa Monica Civic when they opened for Thin Lizzy and the following year when they opened for Todd Rundgren's Utopia, they were very cool back then, anyone that doesn't like Journey should at least check out their first two albums, as you may just like them.

As soon as the got Perry, they became a chick band (in my opinion) and I hated them, as much as any other pop-chick band..

Queen came out when I was in Junior high (Middle school) and there was something too flamboyant about Freddie, I'm sure I did not peg him for being gay, as I don't think I really knew what gay was around that time, but I new I did not like him. Note: I'm not anti-gay as I LOVE Morrissey & the Smiths.. But I hated Fat Bottom Girls, and We are the Champions and Another one rides the bus...yeck
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Utopia, Journey and Thin Lizzy... that's some bill
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject:

tbqh I've never liked Queen all that much. I recognize their influence and that Freddie was a force...they've always struck me as a little too campy.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
I retract my statement of Journey sucking just a little bit. The ONLY song I like of their is Who's Crying Now?

Glad to hear that your personal tastes are what defines whether a band sucks or not. I was wondering who it was who shoulders that massive responsibility.

Because from my perspective there are bands where I don't like a single thing they did -- and even can't stand at all -- but recognize for their talent, artistry and contributions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

Queen > Journey.

Outside of Don't Stop Believing and Faithfully, I don't really find myself enjoying Journey's music.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I used to think you guys were cool, intelligent, decent people with good taste. (bleep) that now. Perry rules!

And he's been replaced by a guy who serves the same purpose as Perry did - great voice. Steve Perry is a great voice. Not an iconic front man that propels a band to GOAT status.

This is where I am with this. Steve Perry was an awesome singer (and Arnel is good too, though not as good), and Journey has a lot of songs I really like. But Queen was on another level. Journey had 18 top 40 hits. Queen had 18 #1 hits.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

JOURNEY:

That's all I got.

Love both of those. Especially love the opening and ending of Who's Crying Now.
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject:

blah, blah, blah with all your facts and analysis... Journey>Queen [\end thread]

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: