Ball celebrated Lakers drafting #2 by going to 24-Hour Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ball celebrated Lakers drafting #2 by going to 24-Hour Fitness

BynumForThree wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:
epak wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
https://boxden.com/showthread.php?t=2485731

After celebrating with his family after the Lakers got the 2nd pick, Lonzo Ball goes to 24-Hour Fitness and works out that same evening. Have to give it to the Balls, they are workhorses.

Video:

Cool. Thanks.
That dirk step back though.
Why not in the Lonzo Ball thread? heh.

He'll never get that off in the NBA

Seriously, he's got to change that or other players are going to eat him alive. I'm not an NBA scout and I can tell he ALWAYS goes for that awkward stepback 3 going to his left. Extremely curious how he adjusts to the NBA.

Pump fakes. Learn from the great Kobe. Pump fakes could easily and quickly be learned. You step back and you fake it. If defender is aggressive, you get 3 free throws.

And if you have Avery Bradley, Green, Klay, CP3 or any other competent defender who won't bite?

He's 6'6, has a quick release and an awkward release point which makes it tougher to block actually. I understand why people question his ability to get off a mid range jumper but that step back shouldn't be too hard to get off. He hit that over numerous NBA caliber defenders last year and I expect him to rely on that move early in his career because it is so tough to stop.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

I remember when people were very high on Exum initially because of his height and the game he seemd to show that had people thinking about Penny Hardaway.

The thing is... Lonzo is closer to that than Exum was.

I mean you think about it and Lonzo if he does play the 1 and they move D-lo to the 2 (I think the reverse should happen) but you'd essentially have a 6'6, 6'7 Point guard.

I think something Lonzo does need to add to his game is a post game. If Lonzo gets a post game and other PGs have to defend him, it's game over.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ball celebrated Lakers drafting #2 by going to 24-Hour Fitness

BigGameHames wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:
epak wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

After celebrating with his family after the Lakers got the 2nd pick, Lonzo Ball goes to 24-Hour Fitness and works out that same evening. Have to give it to the Balls, they are workhorses.

Video:

Cool. Thanks.

Seriously, he's got to change that or other players are going to eat him alive. I'm not an NBA scout and I can tell he ALWAYS goes for that awkward stepback 3 going to his left. Extremely curious how he adjusts to the NBA.

Pump fakes. Learn from the great Kobe. Pump fakes could easily and quickly be learned. You step back and you fake it. If defender is aggressive, you get 3 free throws.

And if you have Avery Bradley, Green, Klay, CP3 or any other competent defender who won't bite?

He's 6'6, has a quick release and an awkward release point which makes it tougher to block actually. I understand why people question his ability to get off a mid range jumper but that step back shouldn't be too hard to get off. He hit that over numerous NBA caliber defenders last year and I expect him to rely on that move early in his career because it is so tough to stop.

My god.
Anyone who is questioning shot styles ball is taking at a freakin 24 hour fitness is not grasping that dude is taking it easy and not gonna risk injury till team workouts/draft.
I mean, I just can't.

JayLida
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ball celebrated Lakers drafting #2 by going to 24-Hour Fitness

BynumForThree wrote:
Jhin0821 wrote:
epak wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Video:

Cool. Thanks.

Once again you advanced scouts/ trainers with your hypotheticals. I totally disagree with your statement. Take a look at this video. Sports science explains how Lonzo's release time on his shot is 0.47 sec. To put that in perspective Klay Thompson's shot release time is 0.45 sec. I don't think he will have a hard time as some think.

Video Link
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

Some of you good folks just be doing too damn much. Overthinking EVERYTHING.
Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:

Preach....
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

His shot does concern me a little, but I'm hopeful it will work out, especially if he works on fixing that hitch when he gathers for a shot.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
What kind of shoes is he wearing? Doesn't look like the ZO2.

He should be wearing them all the time now. Everyone in that video should be wearing them.

Probably still on a cargo ship on the way here from overseas.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:

It's going to seem like an eternity till summer league -- where the overthinking will then blow up exponentially.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
His shot does concern me a little, but I'm hopeful it will work out, especially if he works on fixing that hitch when he gathers for a shot.

I don't know if you are old enough to remember Jamaal Wilkes, but before Ball he was the good shooter with the weirdest shot that I'm able to remember. It is not a big problem when one can score 37 in the finals.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:

I don't know if you are old enough to remember Jamaal Wilkes, but before Ball he was the good shooter with the weirdest shot that I'm able to remember. It is not a big problem when one can score 37 in the finals.

Totally different than Jamaal Wilkes who literally put the ball behind his head and was impossible to block.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
nash wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:

Totally different than Jamaal Wilkes who literally put the ball behind his head and was impossible to block.

The form is completely different, but the weirdness is comparable.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
nash wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:

The form is completely different, but the weirdness is comparable.

Creator of the 20foot layup -- good ole Silk
Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
He's actually closer to Penny than Kidd imo.

It's def some kinda mixture of the two .. watching him you see traits of both players in his game .
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:

One of my favorite UCLA Bruins, will never forget Silk!
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject:

I think because he can go past the defender and he can pass they won't be up on him enough to block his shot. Also his shot is fast so it works out. Git to draft the dude and see what happens. I give him a 96% chance he becomes a top 4 PG. He can possible start for the Lakers and actually make us better. No more skipping games because Ls makes me mad
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Hydro21 wrote:
MJST wrote:

It's def some kinda mixture of the two .. watching him you see traits of both players in his game .

watched Penny in college, him and Lonzo's games are so similar, difference is Penny pulled from mid on more of a basis than Lonzo, but he also wasn't the shooter from three that Lonzo is. But lots of similarities.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Reminds me of when people were putting a ceiling on DLO based on 1.5 minutes of pre-summer league practice footage.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I remember when people were very high on Exum initially because of his height and the game he seemd to show that had people thinking about Penny Hardaway.

The thing is... Lonzo is closer to that than Exum was.

I mean you think about it and Lonzo if he does play the 1 and they move D-lo to the 2 (I think the reverse should happen) but you'd essentially have a 6'6, 6'7 Point guard.

I think something Lonzo does need to add to his game is a post game. If Lonzo gets a post game and other PGs have to defend him, it's game over.
he needs to workout with livingston. he's the skinniest but tallest pg in the nba that loves taking the small fries down to the post. and he's very good at it. he creates an instint mismatch doing it. yet livingston cant shoot the 3 but ball can. if livingston had a 3 ball he would be a starting pg in the nba. come to think of it pre injury, if livingston had a real life 3. He would've been a top 5 pg at that moment.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Hydro21 wrote:
MJST wrote:

watched Penny in college, him and Lonzo's games are so similar, difference is Penny pulled from mid on more of a basis than Lonzo, but he also wasn't the shooter from three that Lonzo is. But lots of similarities.
penny shot more mid range jumpers because thats what the nba guys did that he loved watching.

Most middle school, high school, and college kids play like people they watch in the nba. guys on the playground are attempting to play like the best players in the world. So penny was only doing what he saw. I use to throw cute passes and yell out Magic. get in the post, drop step and dunk and yell out barkley. Then it turned to turn and fade and yell out jordan/kobe. or make some crazy move to the basket and pull up for the mid range. then it became a 3 pt competition where guys are shooting 3's or laying it up/dunking the ball. the mid range game is a lost art due to analytics being pushed so hard. So Zo is just a product of that.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
nash wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:

behind the head shots are very possible to block. you block them from the side. meaning you get on one side of the guy and swipe behind the guys head where you already know the ball is going. as long as you dont have a bogus ref watching giving wilkes that star treatment. you can get a few blocks like that on him. now if he has a counter. well you're cooked.

there is also an issue when you play defense that far on one persons side. if they have any handles and foot work. they could easily blow by you without you having a chance to recover. if you're on their left side. they just go hard right and finish with the right. to bother that shot you would have to go across their body which is going to be a foul 9 times out of 10. same if the ball is on the other side. this is something no one is talking in regards to so guy playing on lonzo's side where that ball comes up. you can sit on that side if you want to. but he can just go hard right.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
K2 wrote:
Work ethic reminds me a bit of what Kobe would do. He doesn't seem to give a (bleep) about anything outside of basketball, he's all focused on his game. Definitely coachable, he will do whatever it takes to improve, think that Magic genuinely sees a future with the kid.

That TigerDad of his is just another obstacle that Lonzo will need to overcome.

That "TigerDad" raised him into what he is. More involved with his kids than most dads. The antics are all to attract attention for his brand, and guess what...it's working.

Sometimes it backfires and blows up in the worst way possible like for Marv Marinovich and his son Todd. The way Lonzo's wired, think he will excel with pressure rather than escape from it.

If TigerDad wants to live vicariously through his kids like he's doing now, no one's stopping him. Lonzo will eventually find a balance between getting to where he needs to be and keeping the antics from becoming a distraction.
lonzo doesnt have to find a balance. he already has it. this is not new. this is his father who has been doing this since lonzo was a baby. Lonzo is use to it. the public is not. so that means the only people that have to get use to it is who? the public. notice lonzo's game/demeanor does not change based on what dad says.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

He should be wearing them all the time now. Everyone in that video should be wearing them.
lavar said he can choose to wear any shoe he wants. thats the difference when you have your own company you can do as you please. where your kicks on away games only if you like . or only break them out for the sunday whites at home. he could only break them out when the lakers rock the black jerseys.

it could be nike the other days, jordan, addidas, UA, etc. he isnt locked in to anyone unless he chooses to be.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

lavar said he can choose to wear any shoe he wants. thats the difference when you have your own company you can do as you please. where your kicks on away games only if you like . or only break them out for the sunday whites at home. he could only break them out when the lakers rock the black jerseys.

it could be nike the other days, jordan, addidas, UA, etc. he isnt locked in to anyone unless he chooses to be.

Hmm... When he's in the league, I doubt he'll be wearing anything other than his own brand. Otherwise, just get out the business now.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
lonzo doesnt have to find a balance. he already has it. this is not new. this is his father who has been doing this since lonzo was a baby. Lonzo is use to it. the public is not. so that means the only people that have to get use to it is who? the public. notice lonzo's game/demeanor does not change based on what dad says.

There's more media scrutiny at the pro level than he's ever had to deal with in high school/college. Things that are said will unnecessarily get blown up and overanalyzed as part of the clickbait news cycle. No doubt it will become a distraction (especially when he hits the rookie wall), but I'm sure he'll find a way to get through it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: