THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 381, 382, 383 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
SweetP wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
"I think poverty to a large extent is also a state of mind," Carson said in a SiriusXM radio interview with Armstrong Williams, a top adviser to Carson's 2016 presidential campaign. "You take somebody that has the right mindset, you can take everything from them and put them on the street, and I guarantee in a little while they'll be right back up there.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hud-secretary-ben-carson-says-poverty-is-about-a-state-of-mind/

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.

I'd laugh. If it wasn't so disgusting/sad.

I say we test this theory out with Donald Trump.

You have to consider Carson's logic. It's like if you take all the money from rich people and give it to poor people, it won't be long before the rich people will have it back. That's to say you can't take the knowledge, he used mindset.

I don't agree with his using poverty in his scenario but I think I understand his reasoning.

That's not his point. His point is that we don't need to help the poor because poverty is a product of their own character defects, and that people without those character defects are not poor, and wouldn't stay poor even if you took everything. Because poverty is a character defect.

I used the embolden to form my conclusion.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu May 25, 2017 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
SweetP wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
"I think poverty to a large extent is also a state of mind," Carson said in a SiriusXM radio interview with Armstrong Williams, a top adviser to Carson's 2016 presidential campaign. "You take somebody that has the right mindset, you can take everything from them and put them on the street, and I guarantee in a little while they'll be right back up there.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hud-secretary-ben-carson-says-poverty-is-about-a-state-of-mind/

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.

I'd laugh. If it wasn't so disgusting/sad.

I say we test this theory out with Donald Trump.

You have to consider Carson's logic. It's like if you take all the money from rich people and give it to poor people, it won't be long before the rich people will have it back. That's to say you can't take the knowledge, he used mindset.

I don't agree with his using poverty in his scenario but I think I understand his reasoning.

That's not his point. His point is that we don't need to help the poor because poverty is a product of their own character defects, and that people without those character defects are not poor, and wouldn't stay poor even if you took everything. Because poverty is a character defect.

Prosperity Gospel. If you're poor or sick it's because you're stupid and God hates you.

Side note: how terrifyingly​ dense is Betsy Devos......
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject:

It is a common theme, and affects poverty, mental illness, etc. All are reduced character defects, so the haves do not have to help.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Poor Spicey didn't even get to meet the pope....
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:

I agree Trump's note was (bleep) and it sounded like a (bleep) high schooler but, you gotta look at the whole story. He was there barely half the time as Oblunder and the MSM didn't bother to report that he also said this;

“Millions of wonderful and beautiful lives, men, women and children were extinguished as part of a systematic attempt to eliminate the Jewish people,” Trump said on Tuesday. “It is our solemn duty to remember, to mourn, to grieve and to honor every single life that was so cruelly and viciously taken.”

Just wanted to throw that in. Now back to your regularly scheduled program: Trump and Russia. Russia and Trump

High schooler? I'd have written that in 2nd grade, maybe.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/24/cbo-issues-new-estimates-on-obamacare-repeal-bill.html

This is how much premiums are expected to increase if this is passed and you have the following condition:
A pregnancy: $17,000
Lung cancer: $73,000
Breast cancer: $28,000
Drug addiction: $20,000
Diabetes: $5,000
Autism: $5,000
Asthma: $4,000
http://imgur.com/a/uQ4ZP

specified autoimmune conditions: 652%
great
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Apparently he's a devout Catholic. Trump is such an (bleep).

Update on Montana: Fox News is reporting that the candidate grabbed the reporter by the neck. The election is TOMORROW.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Republican candidate for the at-large seat in Montana just body slammed a Guardian reporter.

There's audio available.

Audio of a body slam is as enjoyable as pictures of musical notes.

Fox News team that were witnesses put out a statement saying the candidate grabbed the reporter by the neck, slammed him to the ground and whaled on him. Also said the reporter did nothing to initiate it.
Candidate put out a self-serving statement that is refuted by both the reporter and the witnesses.
Local sheriff is investigating.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

I'd say his political career is done. Nevermind the assault charges he will be facing and potential prison time.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Apparently he's a devout Catholic. Trump is such an (bleep).

Update on Montana: Fox News is reporting that the candidate grabbed the reporter by the neck. The election is TOMORROW.

Trump is a petty man.

Some reporters are saying that even if the Montana incident caused some people to not want to vote for the guy, an awful lot of votes have been cast already by mail-in ballots and this guy was projected to be ahead.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I'd say his political career is done. Nevermind the assault charges he will be facing and potential prison time.

As much as 60% of the vote is absentee and already sent.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Polls have tightened in recent days, but Montana is difficult to poll. If 40% will vote tomorrow, I think that would be enough for him to lose the election since I'm pretty sure most people in that state have heard of the incident. And maybe the Dems in that state (and there are Democrats in that state) were very motivated and voted early, who knows.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Charges filed.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/24/media/montana-gop-greg-gianforte/index.html
Quote:
Gianforte received a citation on Wednesday night and is scheduled to appear in Gallatin County Justice Court between now and June 7, according to County Sheriff Brian Gootkin.

The nature of Jacobs' injuries didn't meet the statutory requirements for a felony assault charge, Gootkin said in a statement.

Doesn't sound serious though since its a misdemeanor.
bertrome
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Charges filed.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/24/media/montana-gop-greg-gianforte/index.html
Quote:
Gianforte received a citation on Wednesday night and is scheduled to appear in Gallatin County Justice Court between now and June 7, according to County Sheriff Brian Gootkin.

The nature of Jacobs' injuries didn't meet the statutory requirements for a felony assault charge, Gootkin said in a statement.

Doesn't sound serious though since its a misdemeanor.

The sheriff donated $250 to Gianforte's campaign. Good to know that grabbing someone by the neck, body slamming him to the ground and then punching him numerous times only counts as a misdemeanor.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Polls have tightened in recent days, but Montana is difficult to poll. If 40% will vote tomorrow, I think that would be enough for him to lose the election since I'm pretty sure most people in that state have heard of the incident. And maybe the Dems in that state (and there are Democrats in that state) were very motivated and voted early, who knows.

Montana did vote in a sexual predator to be President by a 20% margin.
So I won't be surprised if Gianforte still wins.

But I hope you're right. Dems could use the house seat. And more importantly the momentum.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject:

They also have a Democratic Governor (he happened to beat the same guy that attacked the reporter today) and one Democratic Senator. So it's one of those weird states.

Some reporter asked a voter what she thought of the incident, and she said something like "that's my kind of politician." So this might actually help him with some people, considering he attacked someone from the media.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
but, you gotta look at the whole story

lol

Since when do you care about the whole story?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
They also have a Democratic Governor (he happened to beat the same guy that attacked the reporter today) and one Democratic Senator. So it's one of those weird states.

Some reporter asked a voter what she thought of the incident, and she said something like "that's my kind of politician." So this might actually help him with some people, considering he attacked someone from the media.

Do you think the conservative base will eventually move closer to the center?
Or will Fox News, Breitbart, Rush Limbaugh, Alex Jones (and their versions in the future) repeatedly lead them off a cliff in perpetuity?
I know it's dismissive to call the conservative base brainwashed. But the majority of policy from the Trump WH and the GOP Congress makes the average Republican's life harder. So I have to assume the base is being manipulated.
After seeing this I'm not surprised someone said the bolded.
http://tinyurl.com/kd2n79l
http://tinyurl.com/lswpw6f
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
So this might actually help him with some people, considering he attacked someone from the media.

When you consider how much time and effort has been put in to portraying reporters as not just incompetent but evil, where else was this headed?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject:

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-05-25/venezuela-s-secret-plot-to-sell-banned-syrian-oil-in-u-s-market

Quote:
Venezuela’s Secret Plot to Sell Banned Syrian Oil in U.S. Market

Syria and Venezuela plotted in recent years to evade international sanctions on Syria through a secret deal to transport its crude oil through Russia to the Caribbean.

The previously undisclosed plan aimed to sell Syrian oil at a big discount to Venezuela through a Russian shell company, which would send it to Aruba for refining and distribution to gas stations in the U.S. and elsewhere, according to dozens of emails, documents and interviews.

...What followed was a chain of communication between Syrian and Venezuelan officials that included several executives of Houston-based Citgo Petroleum Corp., the U.S. subsidiary of PDVSA, or Petroleos de Venezuela, according to two people familiar with the talks. One note from Ambassador Abbas urged a Venezuelan official to come to Damascus to discuss volumes, terms and conditions of the deal.

...Citgo attracted attention in Washington earlier this year by donating $500,000 to the inauguration fund of President Donald Trump, a sum that exceeded gifts by Shell, Walmart and most other U.S. companies. The donation raises concerns about how a foreign government might seek to buy influence inside the Oval Office, according to Richard Painter, who served as White House ethics counsel under President George W. Bush and has been critical of the Trump administration.

Citgo’s inauguration gift surfaced after a bipartisan group of U.S. senators said that “critical energy infrastructure” in the U.S. owned by Citgo could come into the hands of Russian oil giant Rosneft PJSC.

Pay to play
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Or will Fox News, Breitbart, Rush Limbaugh, Alex Jones (and their versions in the future) repeatedly lead them off a cliff in perpetuity?
I know it's dismissive to call the conservative base brainwashed. But the majority of policy from the Trump WH and the GOP Congress makes the average Republican's life harder. So I have to assume the base is being manipulated.

The conservative base sees the world differently than you do and has different values. They regard you as brainwashed. When you tell them what is good for them, they will give you the middle finger. When you tell them that they are racist, sexist, and homophobic, they dig in.

I saw this article about Democrats and gun control yesterday. If you want to start understanding how the liberal elites constantly shoot themselves in the feet with middle America, this is a good starting point. There is a lot more to the issue than guns, but without a doubt gun control is an albatross for the Democratic Party.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/05/24/democrats-guns-rob-quist-215186

I'll give you one quote:

Quote:
Bill Clinton delivered that warning weeks after Sandy Hook to a room of Democratic donors: “All these polls that you see saying the public is for us on all these issues — they are meaningless if they’re not voting issues.” The Arkansan further explained the cultural significance of guns in rural America, “A lot of these people … all they’ve got is their hunting and their fishing. Or they’re living in a place where they don’t have much police presence. Or they’ve been listening to this stuff for so long that they believe it all.” North Carolina’s John Edwards summed it up more succinctly during his 2004 presidential bid: “Where I come from guns are about a lot more than guns themselves. They are about independence.”
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:

The conservative base sees the world differently than you do and has different values. They regard you as brainwashed. When you tell them what is good for them, they will give you the middle finger. When you tell them that they are racist, sexist, and homophobic, they dig in.

I saw this article about Democrats and gun control yesterday. If you want to start understanding how the liberal elites constantly shoot themselves in the feet with middle America, this is a good starting point. There is a lot more to the issue than guns, but without a doubt gun control is an albatross for the Democratic Party.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/05/24/democrats-guns-rob-quist-215186

I'll give you one quote:

Quote:
Bill Clinton delivered that warning weeks after Sandy Hook to a room of Democratic donors: “All these polls that you see saying the public is for us on all these issues — they are meaningless if they’re not voting issues.” The Arkansan further explained the cultural significance of guns in rural America, “A lot of these people … all they’ve got is their hunting and their fishing. Or they’re living in a place where they don’t have much police presence. Or they’ve been listening to this stuff for so long that they believe it all.” North Carolina’s John Edwards summed it up more succinctly during his 2004 presidential bid: “Where I come from guns are about a lot more than guns themselves. They are about independence.”

That sounds like 'brainwashed' (maybe more 'manipulated). I mean the issue of gun control is about increase vetting for purchase of firearms but conservative base has been made to believe that it's about other things like abolishing 2nd ammendment, independence and others... which is the narrative that has been pushed by conservative leaders and media
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I'll give you one quote:

Quote:

Meanwhile a Republican's view of guns:

Quote:
The Texas House on Tuesday tentatively approved a measure that would allow school employees to store guns in their cars parked on school property.

Next day:

Quote:
A southeast Texas high school principal shot himself Tuesday afternoon after he notified district officials of his resignation, police said.
Dennis Reeves, 45, killed himself between 4 and 5 p.m. while sitting in his pickup at Kirbyville High School, Police Chief Paul Brister said.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
That sounds like 'brainwashed' (maybe more 'manipulated). I mean the issue of gun control is about increase vetting for purchase of firearms but conservative base has been made to believe that it's about other things like abolishing 2nd ammendment, independence and others... which is the narrative that has been pushed by conservative leaders and media

You're completely missing the point of the article. There are people on the left who absolutely do want to take away guns or at least vastly curtail gun rights. The backlash has forced the Democrats to limit themselves to background checks and the like, and the Republicans pay no political price for blocking stuff like that.

This is just an example of how a lot of you don't understand the political right and don't understand why things like this resonate more in middle America than things like health care (yes, even now).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Meanwhile a Republican's view of guns:

Quote:
The Texas House on Tuesday tentatively approved a measure that would allow school employees to store guns in their cars parked on school property.

Next day:

Quote:
A southeast Texas high school principal shot himself Tuesday afternoon after he notified district officials of his resignation, police said.
Dennis Reeves, 45, killed himself between 4 and 5 p.m. while sitting in his pickup at Kirbyville High School, Police Chief Paul Brister said.

So what? This is a great example of the disconnect. Do you think we should keep school employees from storing guns in their cars so that they won't commit suicide in the parking lot after school hours? From your perspective, this exposes the hypocrisy of the gun laws, or something like that. From the perspective of middle America, this exposes how goofy you are.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 381, 382, 383 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 382 of 3671
Jump to: