Story on the Ball Family and the Stroke

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Story on the Ball Family and the Stroke

Pretty interesting read on their family dynamic in the setting of Lonzo's mom's stroke. I only heard about it briefly during the Tourney when Lonzo was asked but didn't respond. Lavar sounds like a nice guy when he's not trolling the media. Maybe we won't freak out next time he says something crazy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4511416/Lonzo-LaVar-open-Tina-Ball-s-stroke.html
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Sorry boss, I will never click anything from dailymail. Got the cliffs notes?
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Here you go

Quote:
NBA prospect Lonzo Ball's mother had had a stroke and he first learned of it through a text message, his father LaVar reveals in comments about his wife's absence during son's UCLA season
NBA prospect Lonzo Ball's mother, Tina, suffered a serious stroke in February
He and his family kept quiet about her health through the end of Lonzo's season
Lonzo and his father, LaVar, opened up about the stroke in a recent interview
Tina lost the ability to speak during the stroke but is expected to recover
Lonzo said he learned about the stroke through a text message from a relative
LaVar said he was disappointed he couldn't tell his son about the stroke in person
By Kelly Mclaughlin For Mailonline

NBA prospect Lonzo Ball first learned that his mother had a stroke via a text message from a relative, leaving father LaVar upset because he wanted to tell his son in person, it has been revealed.

Tina Ball was noticeably absent from the public stage during the last few months of Lonzo's final basketball season with UCLA, during which several rumors circulated about her health.

LaVar, 48, and Lonzo confirmed in an interview with ESPN The Magazine published on Monday that Tina suffered a serious stroke in late February and spent two-and-a-half months in a hospital recovering. The stroke caused her to lose the ability to speak.

Tina is expected to recover from the stroke and is now in rehab.

Tina Ball, pictured with her husband, LaVar (bottom right), and three sons - LiAngelo (left), Lonzo (back center) and LaMelo (back right) suffered a serious stroke in late February and has lost the ability to speak +5
Tina Ball, pictured with her husband, LaVar (bottom right), and three sons - LiAngelo (left), Lonzo (back center) and LaMelo (back right) suffered a serious stroke in late February and has lost the ability to speak

NBA prospect Lonzo and his father, LaVar, opened up about Tina's stroke in a recent interview with ESPN The Magazine +5
NBA prospect Lonzo and his father, LaVar, opened up about Tina's stroke in a recent interview with ESPN The Magazine

Lonzo, the Balls' oldest son who will be top pick in the NBA Draft next month, was at basketball practice when he first learned of his mother's stroke through a text message from a relative.

The 19-year-old immediately left practice after reading the message and headed home.

His parents and brothers live in Chino Hills, California, about 50 miles from UCLA in Los Angeles.

Lonzo first learned of his mother's stroke through a text message from a relative. He was at a UCLA basketball practice at the time +5
Lonzo first learned of his mother's stroke through a text message from a relative. He was at a UCLA basketball practice at the time

'Who are they to text my son that s***?' LaVar told ESPN. 'I was going to tell him in person.

'Lonzo was coming to watch his brothers play and I was going to tell him, 'Son, your mom is in a bad spot right now.'

Following Tina's stroke, LaVar told Lonzo and his two other sons, 15-year-old LaMelo and 18-year-old LiAngelo to focus on basketball.

'You all do what y'all do. I got your mama,' he said.

Lonzo was first asked about his mother's health during a press conference after UCLA's first game in the NCAA tournament.

He told reporters that it was 'family business' and did not comment further.

'I got mad, but you can't show it,' Lonzo recalled of the press conference. 'At a moment like that, you gotta just take it and move on. You can't do nothing about it.'

LaVar, who was a regular face at his son's games, skipped the Sweet 16 game between UCLA and Kentucky to be with his wife in California.

At the time, it was assumed that LaVar skipping the game was another attention-seeking gimmick.

'Everybody was like, 'What is LaVar doing?'' he recalled. 'Don't worry about what I'm doing. I take care of mine. She's the one. Just so smooth. She's not like other girls. She's tough, smart, pretty.'

'She can't really talk right now,' Lonzo revealed of his mother's condition. 'But she definitely knows what we're saying, and she smiles all the time. So that's a good thing.'

LaVar said that his wife is 'making progress', but it's been a 'slow recovery'.

'I told my wife, 'I been with you so long, you can have one eye drooped and your mouth over here like this and you're still beautiful to me',' LaVar said. 'I look at you the same way. That ain't gonna never change.'

LaVar, pictured shaking Lonzo's hand, was a regular face at UCLA games throughout this year's season. He skipped the Sweet 16 game between UCLA and Kentucky to be with his wife in California +5
LaVar, pictured shaking Lonzo's hand, was a regular face at UCLA games throughout this year's season. He skipped the Sweet 16 game between UCLA and Kentucky to be with his wife in California

Tina, who was a basketball player herself at Cal State Los Angeles, has always been a big cheerleader for her three sons. She's pictured above with Lonzo as a child +5
Tina, who was a basketball player herself at Cal State Los Angeles, has always been a big cheerleader for her three sons. She's pictured above with Lonzo as a child

Tina, who was a basketball player herself at Cal State Los Angeles, has always been a big cheerleader for her three sons - but her support has been more subdued than husband LaVar's.

'Words really can't describe how much she does for us,' Lonzo said of his mom. 'She's a lot like my dad: energetic… except she's not crazy on the cameras.'

Tina attended as many of her sons' games as her middle-school teaching job allowed, and was just as vocal as her infamously outspoken husband.

LaVar and Tina met while playing basketball at Cal State - it was Tina's athleticism that caught LaVar's attention.

'I saw her walking down the hall, and I told her, 'I don't know what we're going to do together, but we're going to do something',' LaVar joked to CBS Sports in 2015.

The couple later married and had three sons together, who they knew would one day play basketball.

'And I knew they were going to hoop like this from Day 1,' he said in 2015. 'That's why I married my wife. Before they even came out the womb, I said, 'I'm having three'.

'And with the way I'm built, and the way she's built, I knew I was going to have three killers. So this thing was planned long ago.

'Because I knew if you put two basketball players together, this is what you're going to get. I knew this is what we were going to get.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4511416/Lonzo-LaVar-open-Tina-Ball-s-stroke.html#ixzz4hO4eIgnC
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

When I read the title, I thought it would be about how he developed his ugly-ass shooting stroke, lol.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
When I read the title, I thought it would be about how he developed his ugly-ass shooting stroke, lol.

I've read it speculated that it was because Lavar had him shooting from 30 feet at a young age, hence the low release. Not enough strength to get it off properly.

Sorry about his mom.

Last edited by greenfrog on Wed May 17, 2017 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Oh, and yet another Ball tread...
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:

Yes although its more about his family than Lonzo.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
deal wrote:

Ball is not a Laker, he may not ever be...

We should keep this in one thread..
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
deal wrote:

Ball is not a Laker, he may not ever be...

We should keep this in one thread..

sure I guess we could merge it to the official ball thread
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Sorry boss, I will never click anything from dailymail. Got the cliffs notes?

More like the DailyFail. Them and The Dumb and The S*xpress, worst tabloid trash in publication.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

I do wish Momma Ball a good recovery, hope she regains some words again and keeps her spirits up. Whether Lonzo becomes a Laker or not, all the best to the Ball family and especially Tina Ball.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

Me too
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

I've read it speculated that it was because Lavar had him shooting from 30 feet at a young age, hence the low release. Not enough strength to get it off properly.

that makes sense
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

that makes sense
it may seem to make sense but its inaccurate. It's yet one more thing to be mad at lavar for.

Notice all 3 sons can shoot well but all 3 sons shoot differently. The middle son Shoots normal and is the best shooter out of the three. Lavar has said as much many times. Lonzo said that his dad tried to get him to shoot normally early on.

For the record shooting the way lonzo shoots it would not be easier to shoot a longer range 3 ball. That would happen if he put the ball behind his head. or if he jumped really high on his jumpshots. the manner in which lonzo shoots takes a bit more wrist strength. So him trying this form as a kid would've made it that much harder to hit deep 3's.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/lonzo-ball-lavar-shooting-form-unorthodox-weird-why-change-nba-draft-032917

Quote:
CHRIS: “Your shot is different. It’s accurate, but it’s very different. How did you get that form?”

LONZO: “I’ve been shooting like that a long time. I honestly don’t know how it got like that, but I’ve just been working on it and perfecting it as much as I can so it’s comfortable for me, and I just keep using it.”

CHRIS: “Did your dad or any coaches ever try to change it?”

LONZO: “Nah, I remember starting off, my dad taught me to shoot regular. So I guess I just got it over there by myself. And he said if it feels comfortable, just leave it like that.”

CHRIS: “Now when I look at it — it looks like, as far as, like, taking people off the dribble and pulling up for a mid-range jumper, it could be a hindrance in that regard. Is it a challenge at all, swinging across your body when you’re taking somebody off the dribble?”

LONZO: “No. You know, I know that’s easier to get my shot off, going off the dribble, especially going right. So it’s not [that it’s] hard to change, it’s just if I’m open, it’s easier to shoot my way.”

and lets hear it from Lavar
Quote:
Earlier this month, LaVar joined Undisputed to explain the origins of Lonzo’s unorthodox form:

“At first I had him shooting on the right side like [a normal form]. As we were playing older players, he started dribbling to the left because everyone was fading him to the right, so then he had to go to the left. So when he would go to the left hard, the only way he could get it off was [his current form].

“I’ve got three boys, and they all shoot the heck out of the ball. But check this out. Not one of them have the same form. Because I’ve always told them to perfect their form and you’re good … If you’ve got raggedy form and you can put it in the basket, you’re a great shooter.”

So there that goes.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Story on the Ball Family and the Stroke

socalsp3 wrote:
Pretty interesting read on their family dynamic in the setting of Lonzo's mom's stroke. I only heard about it briefly during the Tourney when Lonzo was asked but didn't respond. Lavar sounds like a nice guy when he's not trolling the media. Maybe we won't freak out next time he says something crazy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4511416/Lonzo-LaVar-open-Tina-Ball-s-stroke.html

With the exception of Kristine Leahy everybody that's ever met Lavar has said he's a really nice and likable guy. Everybody else that's met Levar has said he's a nice guy, and a good father, they just feel he's a bit too braggadocios.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

Sorry about his mom.

He also played above his age group and developed his shot shooting around taller players.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: