We need a Center

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: We need a Center

Although we got the #2 pick for the third year in a row and will be looking to lock in the future of the franchise with another young talent. The Lakers organization historically has never won a championship without a certified big man. WE NEED A CENTER!

Who will be available out there in a trade or someone we can draft or pickup in free agency?

Monroe will be available in free agency, but not sure he's an adequate Center for us to go after.
Ibaka who's really a 5 trying to play a spread 4 would be good, but then again, he's not the perfect fit either.
Sanders could get a look, but can he handle the pressure of playing under the bright lights in a big city?

So who's out there, who should the Lakers target? This piece is key looking toward the future.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

I think we should draft Zubac!!

You know, I don't think centers matter nearly as much as they used to matter. The 3 point shot is where it is at and centers are best when they score 10-15 points and anchor the defense and grab rebounds.

We always had centers that could dominate the offense. Not that they were ever bad at defense, but Wilt, Shaq and Jabbar all absolutely were able to dominate the offense. Are there any centers like that anymore? The best center in the game today is probably Towns and his outside shot is what is making him so relevant. Find me another center that can play like him, while bringing in 12 rpg and I will say, sure, we should get that guy.

There are not many like that and frankly, we might already have one in Zubac. Still, short of being able to hit from 3 point range, fighting down low for shots, is less efficient than shooting 3's.

Damn hard to believe but that is what the analysis tells us.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: We need a Center

lakurluv wrote:
Although we got the #2 pick for the third year in a row and will be looking to lock in the future of the franchise with another young talent. The Lakers organization historically has never won a championship without a certified big man. WE NEED A CENTER!

Who will be available out there in a trade or someone we can draft or pickup in free agency?

Monroe will be available in free agency, but not sure he's an adequate Center for us to go after.
Ibaka who's really a 5 trying to play a spread 4 would be good, but then again, he's not the perfect fit either.
Sanders could get a look, but can he handle the pressure of playing under the bright lights in a big city?

So who's out there, who should the Lakers target? This piece is key looking toward the future.

I can't help shake the feeling that your thinking is rooted in the past. One of the reasons that we don't have a center is because there's a dearth of quality guys. Why? Part of the reason is there's always the notion that a great center is available. But they're not.

The last five champs - Miami (2), San Antonio, GS & Cleveland- did not have a dominant center. Ibaka, is already out of the playoffs, and I only mentioned him because he's on your list. The next NBA champ (GS, SA, CL, or Bos) does not have a dominant center. Right now, we simply need as much talent as we can get, and for the talent that we do have, to grow up.

Btw, we're due for a generational center or two soon. They run in cycles.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Quick, name the Center on the last 3 teams that won the Championship...

Well the Lakers have ONE of them....!

Whoo-ya...!
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

I don't care who the last teams are that won a championship, all I know is that it wasn't the Lakers!
The Lakers don't follow trends we set trends. Ask yourself this, who's the last teams that won three (3) Championships in a row?
Oh who would that be??? The Lakers!
Why? Because we had the most dominant big man in the game and one of the GOAT in KB24.
This may not be the current trend in the NBA, but the Lakers past blueprint has solidified multiple championships with a Dominant Big! Truth be told he doesn't have to be a Center, but at least someone who can man the inside and intimidate in the paint.
It's not about being stuck in the past, it's about knowing what works best for a franchise and based off of our history, that has worked best for this franchise!
True, that there aren't any big men in the league to be considered "Dominant", but I bet you if we had Boogie, everyone would be singing a different tune??? EXACTLY!!!
The game is predicated off of 5 players, you only truly need two (2) All Stars to win, but if you want to be a dynasty to be dominant, one of those All Stars should be a LEGIT BIG for the Lakers, only because we aren't the Bulls!!!

So IMO, we NEED A CENTER, mainly because we don't have one. They should bring a dominant aspect to the team and opposing teams need to be able to focus in and double team him; he should make a considerable difference...

That's the problem with a lot of basketball and wanna be basketball players today, everyone thinks they're Steph Curry and can shoot 3's all day long, but they aren't gifted to do so! If they were SMART, they'd understand the game and that it works inside-out with continuity and know what puts them in the best situation to WIN!!!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Great idea "The Lakers Need a Center"...

Very helpful too...

EXCEPT for the fact that the Lakers have OVER $23 million tied up in next years salary cap for the THREE Centers that the Lakers ALREADY have signed!

So how about offering up a plan, any plan on what to do with them?

Or should the Lakers just keep adding Centers until they get this dominant center you're dreaming about?

LOL...
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Lakers: Cauley-Stein, Afflalo, Tolliver

Kings: Deng, Randle

Lakers get a C with an additional year on their rookie contract compared to Randle, which is important to free up cap space for 2018. Afflalo and Tolliver are expiring/non-guaranteed deals to free up additional 2018 cap space.

Kings get Randle to add to their young team and immediately becomes a top 2 offensive option for them. Deng comes in as a veteran mentor role and replaces Gay. Kings also have too many C with Koufos, Papagiannis, and Labissiere still on the roster.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject:

How about Dedmon? Big 1 year deal?
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

There's really only two targets I think the Lakers should even consider this off season to add to next year's team and that's Jimmy Butler and Jahlil Okafor (Who we should have drafted 2 years ago!)

Here's a three team blockbuster that could work for all parties involved!

Lakers Players Out: DeAngelo Russell + Julius Randle + Luol Deng + 2nd rounder or future pics
Lakers coming In: Jimmy Butler + Jahlil Okafor

Philly receives: Julius Randle + Cameron Payne
Chicago receives: DeAngelo Russell + Luol Deng and 2nd rounder/future pics

Financially this trade works: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycxudfh8

Bulls starting five:
Rondo + Russell + Wade + Deng + Lopez

Philly starting five:

Payne + Fultz + Simmons + Randle + Embiid

I also thinks it adds more balance to our team going forward and provides us a means of being flexible for the future.

The current team starting five would be:
Ball + Butler + Ingram + Nance Jr. + Okafor

The future starting five would be:

Ball + Butler + George + Ingram + Okafor

When it's time to go small ball, we can run Nance Jr. at the 5. Just like that we're more athletic, still young and have capable scorers all across the board and we're better defensively! George and Ingram are interchangeable at the 4 spot and Okafor would be a better help defender.

Okafor gives us a player we can drop the ball to inside as a certifiable threat, players can't sag off of him or else he will go to work. His numbers were't as good as Randle's but he played less minutes also, so they probably could even out. He should have been our pick in 2015 hands down, he's a special athlete at that position.
If we still want more youth comparable to Randle, we could probably nab him at #28 in the draft and be satisfied. In all honesty Black and Robinson are somewhat very similar players, Robinson could probably easily provide those numbers given the minutes, he's a hard hat kind of guy!
The great thing about Ingram is truthfully speaking he's a solid player at either the 2-3-4 spot and if you think about it, Butler, George, Ingram are all somewhat interchangeable.

With Okafor, Butler, Ball and Ingram in the Mix, George would surely want to settle back down in LA to make a run and cap his career with a couple of championships with the Lakers!

There's my idea... Dream or not!
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

^Not sure how closely you've been paying attention to the NBA recently but Okafor has been a certified disaster at both ends so far for the Sixers. You should hear what the Sixers fans say about him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject:

It's 2017. We're still talking about Okafor? Good grief.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

Hahaha...Predictable!
Yeah you gotta know the player! Okafor doesn't want to be in Philly, he never did. He wanted to play for LA. His body language tells it all every game. He clashes with Embiid, yet they wouldn't let him go because they know Embiid is injury prone. He's worth a look, you can trust that!

And it's 2017 and yes we're still talking about Okafor just like we're still talking about Russell...
And some posters still talk about CP3 on this site ... So what difference does that make? Just a suggestion no matter how real or unreal it may be, just an opinion and yes, He would be a great "GET" for the Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
Hahaha...Predictable!
Yeah you gotta know the player! Okafor doesn't want to be in Philly, he never did. He wanted to play for LA. His body language tells it all every game. He clashes with Embiid, yet they wouldn't let him go because they know Embiid is injury prone. He's worth a look, you can trust that!

And it's 2017 and yes we're still talking about Okafor just like we're still talking about Russell...
And some posters still talk about CP3 on this site ... So what difference does that make? Just a suggestion no matter how real or unreal it may be, just an opinion and yes, He would be a great "GET" for the Lakers.

I live in the PA/NJ/NY tri state area, have gone to 76ers games, watch more a lot of games and have lots of friends who are 76ers fans.

They all hate Okafor for basketball reasons.

Okafor couldn't get a late 1st rounder, which is all the 76ers were asking for.

DLO? Well, let's just say he'd fetch considerably more than that (and you have him traded for Butler, which goes to tell you who is the more valued player).
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

Alright lakurluv, I like your plan, it works on some levels for all three teams, I especially like it for the Lakers!

Do it Magic...!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

At this point, I take Zubac over Okafor. At least Zub has shown signs of shooting 3s, hitting mid range shots and being a rim protector. That is his floor.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
At this point, I take Zubac over Okafor. At least Zub has shown signs of shooting 3s, hitting mid range shots and being a rim protector. That is his floor.

Totally agree. Much better tools for the modern NBA.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Truth be told, I like Zub's game as well and honestly believe he will come around hopefully pan out to be a Mark Gasol type of player. But it'd be interesting to see what Okafor would do with the minutes. IMO OK4 could easily be a double double player, but he has some skill sets that can't be taught physically and is just a natural. Let's remember this kid led DUKE to a national championship as a Freshman.

Obviously Russell is more valued at this stage, but once again Russell almost avg. 30 min per game more than OK4.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Alright lakurluv, I like your plan, it works on some levels for all three teams, I especially like it for the Lakers!

Do it Magic...!

Thanks! I actually think this is one deal everyone will get something of value especially considering their Draft positions. The bulls pick at 16 could easily be moved up possibly a couple of notches, it's a total rebuild for them and something tells me Fultz is going to drop a couple... You never know!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: