PAUL GEORGE Thread (Scared to "Straddle the Fence" with Lakers and throws Jab at LeBron, pg. 1027)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Does anyone sense what asset the Pacers value between Ingram and the 2nd pick? And I would want to know rather the Lakers would value the 2nd pick or Ingram if it came down to getting a star.

They are not getting either so why does it matter?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Does anyone sense what asset the Pacers value between Ingram and the 2nd pick? And I would want to know rather the Lakers would value the 2nd pick or Ingram if it came down to getting a star.

Icaruz
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
Icaruz wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
http://dgitalmedia.com/the-vertical-podcast-with-chris-mannix/

More info from Woj:

Quote:
"The question about Paul George is gonna be, if he tells Indiana, "I am not coming back this year" or "I haven't decided" or "I can't make a commitment to you", if Indiana decides to move him, anybody who's going to trade for Paul George wants to know one thing, can they re-sign him? And unless something changes between now and around the draft, Paul George's camp is going to tell those teams, "don't trade for us, don't trade for George because when he's an unrestricted free agent in 2018, he's going to the Lakers, you are not re-signing him". So teams are going to be leery of giving up much of anything to trade for Paul George."

I don't really read this as he wants to come to the lakers, but more like he wants to stay in Indiana and try for the all NBA team. His agent is basically squashing PG trade value, and telling the Lakers to wait. Remember his agent is either getting 4% of $135m or of $205m

So if gets traded to us now and makes all NBA in 17-18 then does he get 205m from us or only his original team?

Only with Pacers. That's why Cousin was so upset about being traded from the Kings. That trade cost him like $40m or something. So if i'm PG i don't want to be traded and will probably make lots of noise about walking come trade deadline. Best case scenario for PG is that he stays with Pacers and they dont trade him, he gets the super max in 2018 summer and get to sit down and decide to go for the money or go to his favorite team. Again, I am not entirely confident he choose the Lakers over $80m
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yeah...I think I'm with Chase and Clutch on all these trade scenarios.

#BannersOverBillboards
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject:

I want to go to a team... I let them know through intermediaries that I will come for sure so don't give up any assets that will make my future team weaker.

So why do people here keep suggesting packages giving up important assets when there is absolutely no need to do so?

The Warriors have KD... Cleveland has LeBron... The Spurs have Kawhi... Chicago has Jimmy Butler... Houston could use him... but who do they have to trade? And why would Paul want to live in Houston? Boston could use him but Crowder seems to be up and coming and then he'd have to live in racist Boston. Utah would be a good fit since Joe Johnson is getting old but again it's not the most exciting place to live. The Knicks could trade Melo for PG13 but he wouldn't go to Indiana and why would he want to go to a worse team than us? I don't think the Clippers can get him unless they get rid of Blake.

I really don't see a super attractive place for an L.A. kid to want to go to instead of us... Milwaukee has the Greek Freak already. What is the exact scenario that people see where we should give up two draft picks and two important subs... to get someone who we could get for free?

Am I missing something?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

More info from Woj:

Quote:
"The question about Paul George is gonna be, if he tells Indiana, "I am not coming back this year" or "I haven't decided" or "I can't make a commitment to you", if Indiana decides to move him, anybody who's going to trade for Paul George wants to know one thing, can they re-sign him? And unless something changes between now and around the draft, Paul George's camp is going to tell those teams, "don't trade for us, don't trade for George because when he's an unrestricted free agent in 2018, he's going to the Lakers, you are not re-signing him". So teams are going to be leery of giving up much of anything to trade for Paul George."

Love it.

So funny because all Indiana fans seem to think we have no leverage-- well there it is, Hoosiers.

PG's reps tell teams who are considering trading for him that he's leaving anyway and boom, no team offers much. Indiana is stuck taking a lesser package from us, another team, or hanging on for dear life and hoping something convinces him to stay.

That something would be 3rd team all NBA. He will be trying hard for that and if he gets it, Pacer for life.

Being chosen All NBA doesn't guarantee you get $207 million. It just means you're eligible. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teams balk at paying that to most of the All NBA players.

That is true, some teams could choose political suicide.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
I want to go to a team... I let them know through intermediaries that I will come for sure so don't give up any assets that will make my future team weaker.

So why do people here keep suggesting packages giving up important assets when there is absolutely no need to do so?

The Warriors have KD... Cleveland has LeBron... The Spurs have Kawhi... Chicago has Jimmy Butler... Houston could use him... but who do they have to trade? And why would Paul want to live in Houston? Boston could use him but Crowder seems to be up and coming and then he'd have to live in racist Boston. Utah would be a good fit since Joe Johnson is getting old but again it's not the most exciting place to live. The Knicks could trade Melo for PG13 but he wouldn't go to Indiana and why would he want to go to a worse team than us? I don't think the Clippers can get him unless they get rid of Blake.

I really don't see a super attractive place for an L.A. kid to want to go to instead of us... Milwaukee has the Greek Freak already. What is the exact scenario that people see where we should give up two draft picks and two important subs... to get someone who we could get for free?

Am I missing something?

Maybe you are missing the idea that PG doesn't want to come here?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Am I missing something?

If he doesn't want to come here... then I'm much less excited to have him... PG minus those assets probably means fodder for GS, SA and LAC in the first round for the next three years. PG with the assets could mean a dark horse run.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Am I missing something?

If he doesn't want to come here... then I'm much less excited to have him... PG minus those assets probably means fodder for GS, SA and LAC in the first round for the next three years. PG with the assets could mean a dark horse run.

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

Icaruz wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
Icaruz wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

More info from Woj:

Quote:

I don't really read this as he wants to come to the lakers, but more like he wants to stay in Indiana and try for the all NBA team. His agent is basically squashing PG trade value, and telling the Lakers to wait. Remember his agent is either getting 4% of $135m or of $205m

So if gets traded to us now and makes all NBA in 17-18 then does he get 205m from us or only his original team?

Only with Pacers. That's why Cousin was so upset about being traded from the Kings. That trade cost him like $40m or something. So if i'm PG i don't want to be traded and will probably make lots of noise about walking come trade deadline. Best case scenario for PG is that he stays with Pacers and they dont trade him, he gets the super max in 2018 summer and get to sit down and decide to go for the money or go to his favorite team. Again, I am not entirely confident he choose the Lakers over $80m

It could be up to $80M or as low as maybe $15M if he resigns a 35% deal after 2 years with us. He could even make up some of that 15 on the back end if his 10th year contract with the lakers has him at the max longer than his 13th year contract would with the Pacers. If he doesn't make all-NBA it's only a difference of $1.2M in raises each year, plus the fifth year of course.
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

Eric Pincus:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2714001

Fyi this is not a report nor a rumor, just an opinion from both Emplay/Pincus and the NBA executive from another team that he spoke with.

Quote:
One NBA executive told Bleacher Report that the current task for the Lakers in their pursuit of George is to acquire another player — the type of player who would make defecting more desirable for George.

Perhaps the answer is in the draft and player development, but the Lakers may need to accelerate the process by bringing in additional help through free agency and trades. And time is of the essence.

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

Iron Mamba wrote:
Eric Pincus:

Fyi this is not a report nor a rumor, just an opinion from both Emplay/Pincus and the NBA executive from another team that he spoke with.

Quote:
One NBA executive told Bleacher Report that the current task for the Lakers in their pursuit of George is to acquire another player — the type of player who would make defecting more desirable for George.

Perhaps the answer is in the draft and player development, but the Lakers may need to accelerate the process by bringing in additional help through free agency and trades. And time is of the essence.

Will be interesting to see if the Lakers try to get PG13 now or wait until next year, if they really want him they should make a run now, you can still convince him to play with a good player like Griffin if we end up signing him.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

Iron Mamba wrote:
Eric Pincus:

Quote:

Pincus talking with Doc Rivers again?

If the Clippers, sorry I mean if another NBA team is telling us what we need to do and that we need to make trades for Paul George, that means they're shaking in their boots that Lakers might get him here free with our young core intact in 2018.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

Iron Mamba wrote:
Eric Pincus:

Quote:

Russell+Ball+Ingram+Nance+Zubac+Randle >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Myles Turner
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

Iron Mamba wrote:
Eric Pincus:

Quote:

3 ways to make that happen--

1) trade young pieces for someone like Jimmy Butler and wait for PG in FA
2) develop (and hope) the young guns + place holders make huge strides
3) clear cap space in 18 to be able to sign Cousins (for example) along with PG

Some combination of two or more of could happen. I would not be surprised in the least to find out that we've been making a serious push for Butler while also moving a contract out like Deng.

Whatever it is they end up doing, they better do it better Randle's extension due date is here.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Iron Mamba wrote:
Eric Pincus:

Quote:

Some combination of two or more of could happen. I would not be surprised in the least to find out that we've been making a serious push for Butler while also moving a contract out like Deng.

Whatever it is they end up doing, they better do it better Randle's extension due date is here.

the only way we have 2 max slots next year is remove all 3: JC, Moz, Deng from the books.

i don't even know if that works.

if we couldn't trade all 1 of moz/deng, I would trade 1 of moz/deng for stretch 1 with buyout (like how Nets did with Williams)
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

If Indiana is smart, they will offer PG13 to cavs for kevin love, who will be the odd man out IMO after the cavs get waxed in the finals. Cavs will take the risk because PG13 is def an upgrade over love on that specific cavs style of play Vs. the Warriors. If the cavs then won the title, the chances of PG signing here would be polar opposites: either really want to play 4 the hometown team cause he got his ring or, eff this, I want more rings now with bron.
As for the Pacers, they would view that deal as better than any laker offer because they have a marquee name in Love, not jawun evans.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

If we get PG, people need to temper their expectations.

He's a lower tier superstar. He's not in the realm of Westbrook, Lebron, Durant, Curry, etc.

I don't care how well he played in March/April. He's not on their level.

But he's a very good player.

Adding him to our roster probably gets us to the playoffs as a 6-8 seed and a first round exit.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
If Indiana is smart, they will offer PG13 to cavs for kevin love, who will be the odd man out IMO after the cavs get waxed in the finals. Cavs will take the risk because PG13 is def an upgrade over love on that specific cavs style of play Vs. the Warriors. If the cavs then won the title, the chances of PG signing here would be polar opposites: either really want to play 4 the hometown team cause he got his ring or, eff this, I want more rings now with bron.
As for the Pacers, they would view that deal as better than any laker offer because they have a marquee name in Love, not jawun evans.

I think this is plausible, unless the Pacers absolutely hate Kevin Love. Worst case scenario they could just include a 3rd team and get tons of picks.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:

I think this is plausible, unless the Pacers absolutely hate Kevin Love. Worst case scenario they could just include a 3rd team and get tons of picks.

if they trade PG it's to build around Turner. They'd want young players and picks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Iron Mamba wrote:
Eric Pincus:

Quote:

the only way we have 2 max slots next year is remove all 3: JC, Moz, Deng from the books.

i don't even know if that works.

if we couldn't trade all 1 of moz/deng, I would trade 1 of moz/deng for stretch 1 with buyout (like how Nets did with Williams)

Clarkson is easy to move
Deng just needs mins at PF to get his value back up then would be an attractive piece for a team like Washington who need a great vet at the 3/4.
Could stretch Mozzy
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:

if they trade PG it's to build around Turner. They'd want young players and picks

Right, which is why you could include a 3rd team (i.e. if you're the Kings as a 3rd team, they'd probably happily take KLove and give up 5, 10, or even both).
Iron Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

https://t.co/wuZpDlceyr

NBA Executive thinks Aaron Mintz - the agent for Paul George, D'Angelo Russell, and Julius Randle - wants them all together playing for the Lakers

Quote:
Aaron Mintz, Paul George's agent, is the kind of agent who will fight aggressively to get a client to his preferred destination.

George doesn't want to end up like 33-year-old Carmelo Anthony, who joined the New York Knicks in a 2011 trade from the Denver Nuggets.

New York gave up many quality players like Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, current Lakers center Timofey Mozgov and draft picks, depleting the team's talent pool.

George can afford to be patient. He's better off joining a team that doesn't have to dismantle its roster to make room. George's agent Mintz can work to diminish his client's value in trade by indicating to teams that he is dead-set on joining the Lakers.

That assumes George has hand-picked the Lakers. But even if that's not the case, the less any team gives up in a trade to acquire him, the better a chance George avoids Anthony's fate.

Per an NBA executive, some teams have been willing to take a risk and trade for a player who won't give an unofficial promise to stay long-term, like the Houston Rockets, but many would shy away.

The same executive noted the Pacers must get enough for George to make a trade worthwhile. It may not have to be players like Ingram or Russell, or the Lakers' No. 2 pick. Indiana might just let George leave to open up cap space if the return is too marginal.

Same executive also noted Mintz might prefer to keep his clients together in Los Angeles, as he represents both D'Angelo Russell and Julius Randle with the Lakers.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

Iron Mamba wrote:
https://t.co/wuZpDlceyr

NBA Executive thinks agent for Paul George, D'Angelo Russell, and Julius Randle want them all together in the Lakers

Quote:
Aaron Mintz, Paul George's agent, is the kind of agent who will fight aggressively to get a client to his preferred destination.

George doesn't want to end up like 33-year-old Carmelo Anthony, who joined the New York Knicks in a 2011 trade from the Denver Nuggets.

New York gave up many quality players like Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, current Lakers center Timofey Mozgov and draft picks, depleting the team's talent pool.

George can afford to be patient. He's better off joining a team that doesn't have to dismantle its roster to make room. George's agent Mintz can work to diminish his client's value in trade by indicating to teams that he is dead-set on joining the Lakers.

That assumes George has hand-picked the Lakers. But even if that's not the case, the less any team gives up in a trade to acquire him, the better a chance George avoids Anthony's fate.

Per an NBA executive, some teams have been willing to take a risk and trade for a player who won't give an unofficial promise to stay long-term, like the Houston Rockets, but many would shy away.

The same executive noted the Pacers must get enough for George to make a trade worthwhile. It may not have to be players like Ingram or Russell, or the Lakers' No. 2 pick. Indiana might just let George leave to open up cap space if the return is too marginal.

Same executive also noted Mintz might prefer to keep his clients together in Los Angeles, as he represents both D'Angelo Russell and Julius Randle with the Lakers.

which makes sense because Indy would probably be most interested in BI
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:

Right, which is why you could include a 3rd team (i.e. if you're the Kings as a 3rd team, they'd probably happily take KLove and give up 5, 10, or even both).

Was more responding to the fellow above about Love being a marquee name.

That'd be an interesting situation: LeBron/PG/Kyrie
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next
Page 29 of 1028
Jump to: