Applying for my first Job after college

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfan22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Applying for my first Job after college

Hey LG. I am about to graduate in a few weeks and I have been on the career hunt. I applied for a job and got an email. The company scheduled a phone interview with me and told me that within two weeks, I would be notified with a second interview or a rejection. It has since been more than two weeks and I have not heard back. I recently sent an email politely asking for updates but it has been four days and no response. According to the job board they are using, the job status says "in progress." However, they have removed the job listing on the job boards. Should I email them again? Is it safe to say I have been rejected?
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, probably. Don't take it too rough, it's going to happen.
lakersfan22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
Unfortunately, probably. Don't take it too rough, it's going to happen.
Yeah, I figured. my expectations are pretty low on getting a job right after college. Figured it could take a while. Thanks though.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Companies always say they'll notify you if you've been rejected, but maybe only a quarter of them will do so, if that. Most will simply never bother.

Good luck!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Companies always say they'll notify you if you've been rejected, but maybe only a quarter of them will do so, if that. Most will simply never bother.

Good luck!

They have tons of applicants so everything is automated. Chances are that they already hired somebody else if they haven't called you back. If they already removed the job listing then it means they are either in the process of interviewing the applicants or have cancelled the job listing altogether.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, you probably didn't make it to the next round. But it wouldn't hurt to ask them again if you have the right contact. Persistence is a good thing to most hirers.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject:

[quote="lakersfan22"]
xxsicrokerxx wrote:
Unfortunately, probably. Don't take it too rough, it's going to happen.[/quote]Yeah, I figured. my expectations are pretty low on getting a job right after college. Figured it could take a while. Thanks though.

Expectations set so low out of the gate?

Ever considered building something?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject:

yep, time to move on, just like women, your first one will probably not be the perfect fit...!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Applying for jobs is a pain in the ass process. You just gotta cast your net as far as possible and hope to get lucky with one. The more interviews you get the more practice you get with presenting yourself so all is not lost.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Applying for jobs is a pain in the ass process. You just gotta cast your net as far as possible and hope to get lucky with one. The more interviews you get the more practice you get with presenting yourself so all is not lost.

Find what you're good at and/enjoy. Then apply to the "jobs" that fit within that paradigm.

If you get rejected from something you really wanted to get, then you know what to fix for next time.

Last edited by lakerjoshua on Fri May 26, 2017 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject:

I applied to ~50 companies when I graduated. Domino's was one of the few places that actually bothered to tell me I didn't make it. In the end, I got a great offer from a company that I still work at. You'll find the right place, and you'll know pretty quickly.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Agreed. Plus, sometimes a job you don't think you want initially, turns out to be a lot more interesting once you get more details. Doesn't always work out that way, but, it can.

One thing I always tell younger people starting out is to understand your first job will almost certainly not be your last. So even if it might not seem appealing, or pay particularly well, think about it more holistically. In other words, think of it less as a job and more, how will this help flush out a stronger resume for the next step.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

A company saying they'll get back to you means that the answer is probably "No". When it's positive, most companies will give you a heads up as to when the next meeting might take place, and who you will probably be talking to. The "you've given us a lot to think about" or "I'm getting together with (other managers, other interviewers, whatever) to discuss" is usually a chicken (bleep) way of saying no.

When you're out of college, it can be tough getting that first job if you didn't score during the on-campus interview process. You probably aren't sure what you want to do as you haven't experienced much in the work world, and you probably aren't sure what kind of company you'd like to work for either. Your best bet is to interview around and get a feel for the various companies and cultures and jobs, it's a numbers game. You'll see some obvious poor fits with your personality and ambitions, and in turn you'll get better at interviewing. Interviewing itself is, in the words of an old friend who was a research psychiatrist, "an artificial social situation" the attitude of which might explain why he was a terrible interviewer. Another friend addressed it differently, and he was a great interviewer (he had at least two investment bank offers despite a so-so record): Assuming you're male, think of it as selling yourself ("chatting them up") to a young woman in a bar or party; you say enough to tantalize while being personable and engaging. If worst comes to worst, we'll enjoy reading about you becoming the first interviewee accused of sexual harassment.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:

I'm kind of in the same boat as you man. I'm graduating in a few weeks with my masters, and I've been on a couple interviews. Made it to the second round before being rejected on a couple of them, and then got rejected in the first round on another. It's a process, just keep your head up and stay at it. It's thought not to lose confidence after a couple rejections though.

Make sure to cast a wide net, as others have said. When you don't have contacts within the industry, and you're just applying online to places, the response rate to even set up an interview is like 1 in 20 (or worse). So just applying to select places won't yield a very good return, unless you get extremely lucky
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

As an old fart here, my advice is to look at jobs that challenge and excite you. But keep in mind those are fluid feelings and subject to change. I had a job for the last 30 years that I loved for about 20 years. Now I am starting a new career in a field that I love.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

I would say don't hesitate to send another email or two over the next couple weeks, politely inquiring if they are still looking to fill the position.

I have been in the position multiple times where it just took longer than expected for an employer to get back to me. Keep in mind, companies can be disorganized, job roles and teams can be shifting, and HR people like anyone else can just be lazy. The two minutes it takes to send an email reminding them you're still there is no skin off your back and doesn't hurt you in any way. Worst case scenario is they won't reply and you don't get the job, which you weren't getting anyway.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: