2017 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 340, 341, 342  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Upside: Kershaw said I had a nice arm and Puig said I have a nice glove. Got an autographed ball from both.

Downside: Maeda is rusty.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Got myself some dugout seats for today's game! Hopefully Maeda doesn't (bleep) the bed after his DL stint.

What exactly are those?

I am guessing it includes the updgraded food, drink, parking?

I like your style Player....
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject:

What do you guys think of Maeda as a setup guy? His #'s since he first got here against batters facing him for the first time through the order are light's out. Just seems like he could potentially be a star setup guy...
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Got myself some dugout seats for today's game! Hopefully Maeda doesn't (bleep) the bed after his DL stint.

What exactly are those?

Lexus Dugout Club. Basically where a bunch of rich people can sit in a lounge that actually has access to the Dodgers lockers, all the trophies, and where seats are the first 3 or so rows from dugout, backstop, to dugout. Foods about the same as the Ketel One Baseline club (i.e. non-Vegas hotel buffet style) but with more selection/drinks and space. Along with regular Dodger dogs, they also serve hotlinks, bratwurst, etc. I'm in a season ticket pool with a huge group of college buddies so today was finally my turn (I usually luck into the Baseline Club or Field level ones).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
What do you guys think of Maeda as a setup guy? His #'s since he first got here against batters facing him for the first time through the order are light's out. Just seems like he could potentially be a star setup guy...

Today maybe not so much because he was completely wild with pitch location to start the game. He calmed down relatively after the first 3 run 1st inning burst. Ryu though was pretty solid in relief. I wouldn't be surprised if he became a relief pitcher since he hasn't shown he can eat innings for a whole year post-injury.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
rwongega wrote:

What exactly are those?

Lexus Dugout Club. Basically where a bunch of rich people can sit in a lounge that actually has access to the Dodgers lockers, all the trophies, and where seats are the first 3 or so rows from dugout, backstop, to dugout. Foods about the same as the Ketel One Baseline club (i.e. non-Vegas hotel buffet style) but with more selection/drinks and space. Along with regular Dodger dogs, they also serve hotlinks, bratwurst, etc. I'm in a season ticket pool with a huge group of college buddies so today was finally my turn (I usually luck into the Baseline Club or Field level ones).

Nice man! I got to do the Baseline Club once, and it was pretty sweet.

I'm not sure about Maeda as a setup guy because he doesn't really have plus stuff. He was more about command and poise than anything else.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
rwongega wrote:

What exactly are those?

Nice man! I got to do the Baseline Club once, and it was pretty sweet.

I'm not sure about Maeda as a setup guy because he doesn't really have plus stuff. He was more about command and poise than anything else.

Thanks! I gotta admit, it has its perks if only it weren't so damn expensive otherwise I'd go every game like the guy sitting next to me haha.

I'm not sure why Kershaw made this face while signing the ball he gave to me.

The thing with Maeda is he just doesn't have stamina. That 8 inning game he started before his DL was his longest ever (and probably why he ended up on DL). He's gotten more out of his 2-seam and I think I saw a few cutters in there as well in addition to his slider. Probably not going to be a reliever for some time. Ryu though is a consideration after today.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

Looks like a chewing tobacco face.

Those seats sound awesome, glad you had your turn in them. I need to save up and do that sometime, I am a bit of a geek about seeing all the behind the scenes stuff, I find it interesting.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject:

Nice 4 inning save for Ryu.

Man I wish we still had Greinke though. I think the Dodgers could have be WS Champions last year if Greinke was still on the team.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Looks like a chewing tobacco face.

Those seats sound awesome, glad you had your turn in them. I need to save up and do that sometime, I am a bit of a geek about seeing all the behind the scenes stuff, I find it interesting.

Thanks! Best games are the early season getaway games between home series (if the next series is a road game, they're rushing to the bus to the airport most of the time). The players are more receptive to coming out and are more relaxed. Usually cheaper too on stubhub.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Alex Wood in May:

5 starts
5 runs allowed
5 wins
7 BB
41 K

25⅓ consecutive scoreless IP
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Wow! Wood is on a roll. He's getting down right nasty. Bullpen does a good job to keep the shutout.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Last year the Cubs had some pixie dust going. It's gone this year.

Cards are down. Giants are down.

WS is ripe for hte taking if we have a semblance of a hot streak going in. Wood is scorching but 5 inning outings almost every game is a bit tough to manage around. Maybe the team has it figured out and are going to utilize our starter depth into relievers?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Last year the Cubs had some pixie dust going. It's gone this year.

Cards are down. Giants are down.

WS is ripe for hte taking if we have a semblance of a hot streak going in. Wood is scorching but 5 inning outings almost every game is a bit tough to manage around. Maybe the team has it figured out and are going to utilize our starter depth into relievers?

This is why I want to use our prospect capital and trade for 2 dominant relievers to put in front of Jansen. In our non-Kershaw playoff games, we might be able to feel good if our starter can merely give us 5 innings, because we could ask the last 3 relievers to get 12 outs if necessary.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject:

I do like the idea of using the starting rotation surplus to bolster the bullpen. And I'm also definitely open to doing the same via a trade, even at the expense of losing some valued prospects. What I am completely against, however, is more of the same from the FO as the post season gets closer. Roberts squeezed every last drop of the starters and bull pen a year ago and just a couple more tools in the wood shed almost cruwould have been the difference. I'd just hate to see the Dodgers come up just short again for the same old glaring issues season in and out that have bedeviled them during Kershaw's tenure thus far. So use the starting surplus to help the pen and look to find a good deal for help in the form of one or two quality set up guys but please don't just stand pat or being in a low tier guy because he can be had for cheap and watch in the post season why he was so readily available. The road to the WS is there.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

Cubs didn't have a reliable bullpen last year, FWIW
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

True but they had 4 starters that ate up massive innings and were lights out. They just had to cobble together a few outs to get to Chapman. For us, in non-Clayton games, it's usually 2-3 innings the setup guys have to get through.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

I don't necessarily agree with that. They traded for Chapman which was a big move because they didn't necessarily have a dominant closer, but they had a lot of power-armed relievers in front of Chapman once they got him. Carl Edwards wasn't even one of their top setup guys by the end of the season, and he would've easily--EASILY--been our best setup man in front of Jansen last season.

(Rondon, the closer before they got Chapman, had a WHIP of less than 1 and had 58 K in 51 IP last season. Strop had a .89 WHIP and 60 K in 47.1 IP. Edwards had a .81 WHIP and 52 K in 36 IP. All 3 of these were better options than our 2nd-best reliever last season, Blanton. I'm not a fan of non-power setup men to get big outs. I want a pitcher with great stuff and/or a wipeout pitch to get outs, whether that's an electric fastball, slider, or a great changeup.)

I just feel like it's something that we MUST improve on if we are going to win it all.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I don't necessarily agree with that. They traded for Chapman which was a big move because they didn't necessarily have a dominant closer, but they had a lot of power-armed relievers in front of Chapman once they got him. Carl Edwards wasn't even one of their top setup guys by the end of the season, and he would've easily--EASILY--been our best setup man in front of Jansen last season.

(Rondon, the closer before they got Chapman, had a WHIP of less than 1 and had 58 K in 51 IP last season. Strop had a .89 WHIP and 60 K in 47.1 IP. Edwards had a .81 WHIP and 52 K in 36 IP. All 3 of these were better options than our 2nd-best reliever last season, Blanton. I'm not a fan of non-power setup men to get big outs. I want a pitcher with great stuff and/or a wipeout pitch to get outs, whether that's an electric fastball, slider, or a great changeup.)

I just feel like it's something that we MUST improve on if we are going to win it all.

My best friend/roommate is a huge Cubs fan and the way he complains about those guys reminds me of Baez

I agree with you though.. you need more than just Jansen to get swings and misses in big spots. I keep hoping Baez will be that guy, because he throws gas, but it seems like whenever the situation is high leverage he chokes.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
I do like the idea of using the starting rotation surplus to bolster the bullpen. And I'm also definitely open to doing the same via a trade, even at the expense of losing some valued prospects. What I am completely against, however, is more of the same from the FO as the post season gets closer. Roberts squeezed every last drop of the starters and bull pen a year ago and just a couple more tools in the wood shed almost cruwould have been the difference. I'd just hate to see the Dodgers come up just short again for the same old glaring issues season in and out that have bedeviled them during Kershaw's tenure thus far. So use the starting surplus to help the pen and look to find a good deal for help in the form of one or two quality set up guys but please don't just stand pat or being in a low tier guy because he can be had for cheap and watch in the post season why he was so readily available. The road to the WS is there.

Strip just went 3 innings to close out a game. Looks like they're definitely eye-balling using our starting depth to shore up the pen.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Strip just went 3 innings to close out a game. Looks like they're definitely eye-balling using our starting depth to shore up the pen.

Saw that. He looked good today. Got out of self-induced jam and rode out the rest of the game swimmingly. Of course, it should be noted that the ump's strike zone dramatically increased the last two innings because he'd obviously had enough and wanted to get home lol. But hopefully this can last. Roberts pulled so many of the right strings last season and they still came up short. Would just feel a lot better about their playoff prospects this season if the gave Skip more tools in the shed.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Saw that. He looked good today. Got out of self-induced jam and rode out the rest of the game swimmingly. Of course, it should be noted that the ump's strike zone dramatically increased the last two innings because he'd obviously had enough and wanted to get home lol. But hopefully this can last. Roberts pulled so many of the right strings last season and they still came up short. Would just feel a lot better about their playoff prospects this season if the gave Skip more tools in the shed.

That elusive #2. We nab that somehow and we're gold.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Cody!!!!
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Shades of Shawn Green
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers have been playing well

Unfortunately the Rockies and Diamondbacks have been as well. Do you guys think they will come back down to earth soon, or is their record legit? NL West looking very strong so far into the season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 30 of 342
Jump to: