Magic connecting with his mentor Pat Riley
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic connecting with his mentor Pat Riley

MJST wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Magic Johnson tapping into his mentor, Miami Heat’s Pat Riley, in his early days as Lakers president

“Oh yeah, I talked to Pat,” he said. “Going to see Pat in a week.”

http://heatzone.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/05/26/magic-johnson-tapping-into-his-mentor-miami-heats-pat-riley-in-his-early-days-as-lakers-president/

Of course. That's where he got the 7% body fat idea from.

Ironically, Riley's grueling practice regime is one of the reasons magic and the other vets basically forced him out...
Lovefool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
not a bad guy to learn from, but.....

one thing I will say that as a HC, Riley and Luke have total opposite approaches so I hope Magic is aware of that and things like "world class shape" to start to interfere with how Luke wants to manage practice-- shooting games versus running for example.

I feel like a lot of people misinterpret the body fat goals. Its not luke's job to get the team in world class shape. Its each player being proffesionals and doing exactly that on their own. People that question the body fat goals should understand that world class athletes should absolutely be near to 8%. What has gone unsaid in that regard is the importance of sleep and giving your body the necessary time to rejuvenate. It plays as much a part as diet and excercise. When you commit to all three, you are doing exactly what needs to be done to perform at the highest level. Having said that, luke's job is to get his world class athletes to play as a team. He is not going to spend his 2 hours of practice on conditioning with such a young team. That time is imperative to player development and strategic cohesiveness necessary to winning ball games. Magic made luke's job easier.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject:

Lovefool wrote:
2019 wrote:

one thing I will say that as a HC, Riley and Luke have total opposite approaches so I hope Magic is aware of that and things like "world class shape" to start to interfere with how Luke wants to manage practice-- shooting games versus running for example.

I feel like a lot of people misinterpret the body fat goals. Its not luke's job to get the team in world class shape. Its each player being proffesionals and doing exactly that on their own. People that question the body fat goals should understand that world class athletes should absolutely be near to 8%. What has gone unsaid in that regard is the importance of sleep and giving your body the necessary time to rejuvenate. It plays as much a part as diet and excercise. When you commit to all three, you are doing exactly what needs to be done to perform at the highest level. Having said that, luke's job is to get his world class athletes to play as a team. He is not going to spend his 2 hours of practice on conditioning with such a young team. That time is imperative to player development and strategic cohesiveness necessary to winning ball games. Magic made luke's job easier.
BINGO!
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
wow.. it seems like the franchise wants complete disassociation from Phil Jackson. we are going to look back 30 years from now and our kids will ask us "who phil Jackson was and how important was he to the lakers org?"

No sure that he has a lot to learn from phil as a GM..
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
<b>BREAKING NEWS</b>. Lakers announce trade: D'lo for James Johnson. Magic reportedly saying "He just has 'it.' We've found our stretch forward."

Came in here to write exactly that
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject:

I love how Magic talking to his old coach he won 5 rings with can be spun as the franchise "going backwards" here. Some of you all should go become Clippers fans if you're just going to nitpick every move the new FO does.
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
I love how Magic talking to his old coach he won 5 rings with can be spun as the franchise "going backwards" here. Some of you all should go become Clippers fans if you're just going to nitpick every move the new FO does.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

Lovefool wrote:
2019 wrote:

Body fat percentages and playing basketball have little to do with each other. Skills are what matters. But if a coach or GM want to try to sound smart in the media, it is the type of thing they will harp on. Talking for the sake of talking.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: