Kobe evaluating players & plans to workout w/ Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:
Great news. His knowledge goes to the table and advice to the players.

Meanwhile his obsessive personality is not involved in decisions.

Very smart move by Magic and great to hearing his statements.

Definitely an upgrade over Jim's favorite bartender.

Maybe if one is totally ignorant about what Jim's bartender did for the team, quite successfully. This is the second time we have heard of Kobe's involvement without Kobe actually being involved.

More like if one wasn't ignorant in general they'd realize the small positives are greatly outweighed by the greed, deception and ineptitude overall. Kinda like how he fed Mitch to the wolves regardless of what Mitch has done for him for so long.

But maybe if one was in denial they could constantly reach for any positives as if they're someone stuck in an abusive relationship.

Either way, another great result by Magic. Anyone else on their toes just expecting some huge slip up? We've been stuck with "bad bet Jim" for so long it just feels inevitable these days.

As long as you understand that what Kobe and Chaz brought to the Lakers were vastly different things. It appeared that you were confused by that. And as for results, Kobe has offered, but no one is following up on it. He isn't going to beg, it is up to the players to follow through on.

Chaz is part of the scouting team, well liked and brought in by Jim after handing out pink slips to a lot of long tenure staff (if they were linked to Pjax or knew Jim long enough to know he's a failure). I'm just bringing it up since we're evaluating the current FO move-for-move , person-to-person. But the same people evaluating failed to equate who Jim pushed out for whom he was able to attract, join his fold so to speak. Seems like previously Jim's ego was enough to balance off the loss of so many.

Kobe is a win-win any way you look at it. He's not on staff and providing advice based on his own expertise as a GOAT. And the fact that he can't do that in a single session is huge. I'm not talking about player advice, i don't think a single person in history has ever been able to fully listen to Kobes advice on how to workout/improve skills. But his ability to speak with all of magic/rob/luke is a great.

People wanna blast magic/jeanie/rob for every move they make when they're obviously busy surrounding the franchise with the best; whether to talk with or learn from.

It's much better than the last era of isolation with Jim sitting in a room with potentially good plans and Mitch doing what he can, but unbelievably bad execution at every turn.

As for trying to criticize the FO again because they "haven't followed up" i don't think you'd know that for sure with how much they've stressed "behind the scenes" nor do i think right now is the proper timing for it. But sure, it would be nice to hear the young guys reaching out to him for getting in shape before camp. But that's up to players on their personal time at the moment.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Those guys are all-stars. Not rookies and sophmores.

I'm not sure what you're getting all bent out of shape for. I said that I can see how kobe can be a good influence.

I can also see how his playing style and one gear approach might not mesh with Luke's style or the young kids of today. Heck, even Kobe himself says he doesn't have the patience to coach.

I could also see how Magic could have a good influence in a coaching capacity given the numerous positive quotes about him. Oh wait.

I think Kobe could end up being good though. I just believe he's probably best suited in an advisory role. (As in, advising players who seek counsel from him).
so now we're going to move the goal post?
the guys are young and from this era. thats all that was the point. people were afraid of kobe being too "Old school". And i just proved he wasnt too Old school for those guys so he darn sure wont be too old school for these guys from the same era.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
This could be good. This could be bad. Let's wait and see.

don't see what might be bad about it...

Kobe is old school.

In some ways that can be good, and in some ways that can be bad.
To say it could be bad tells me you guys have not been paying attention to the other nba players he has worked with and or spoke with via phone calls.

Please go look up those stories and check those players numbers after working out with kobe or talking to him on the phone.

Then come back in here and tell us how it could be a bad thing.

None of that matters. Why? Cause it doesn't support his agenda.

Not to mention that it seems people have the wrong assumptions of the type of help Kobe will give.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:
Great news. His knowledge goes to the table and advice to the players.

Meanwhile his obsessive personality is not involved in decisions.

Very smart move by Magic and great to hearing his statements.

Definitely an upgrade over Jim's favorite bartender.

Maybe if one is totally ignorant about what Jim's bartender did for the team, quite successfully. This is the second time we have heard of Kobe's involvement without Kobe actually being involved.

More like if one wasn't ignorant in general they'd realize the small positives are greatly outweighed by the greed, deception and ineptitude overall. Kinda like how he fed Mitch to the wolves regardless of what Mitch has done for him for so long.

But maybe if one was in denial they could constantly reach for any positives as if they're someone stuck in an abusive relationship.

Either way, another great result by Magic. Anyone else on their toes just expecting some huge slip up? We've been stuck with "bad bet Jim" for so long it just feels inevitable these days.

As long as you understand that what Kobe and Chaz brought to the Lakers were vastly different things. It appeared that you were confused by that. And as for results, Kobe has offered, but no one is following up on it. He isn't going to beg, it is up to the players to follow through on.

Chaz is part of the scouting team, well liked and brought in by Jim after handing out pink slips to a lot of long tenure staff (if they were linked to Pjax or knew Jim long enough to know he's a failure). I'm just bringing it up since we're evaluating the current FO move-for-move , person-to-person. But the same people evaluating failed to equate who Jim pushed out for whom he was able to attract, join his fold so to speak. Seems like previously Jim's ego was enough to balance off the loss of so many.

Kobe is a win-win any way you look at it. He's not on staff and providing advice based on his own expertise as a GOAT. And the fact that he can't do that in a single session is huge. I'm not talking about player advice, i don't think a single person in history has ever been able to fully listen to Kobes advice on how to workout/improve skills. But his ability to speak with all of magic/rob/luke is a great.

People wanna blast magic/jeanie/rob for every move they make when they're obviously busy surrounding the franchise with the best; whether to talk with or learn from.

It's much better than the last era of isolation with Jim sitting in a room with potentially good plans and Mitch doing what he can, but unbelievably bad execution at every turn.

As for trying to criticize the FO again because they "haven't followed up" i don't think you'd know that for sure with how much they've stressed "behind the scenes" nor do i think right now is the proper timing for it. But sure, it would be nice to hear the young guys reaching out to him for getting in shape before camp. But that's up to players on their personal time at the moment.

Re-read what I posted, I said the onus is on the players to follow up on Kobe's offer. Don't be so quick to defend the FO that you lose sight of what is being discussed.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Sun May 28, 2017 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I'm not sure what you're getting all bent out of shape for. I said that I can see how kobe can be a good influence.

I can also see how his playing style and one gear approach might not mesh with Luke's style or the young kids of today. Heck, even Kobe himself says he doesn't have the patience to coach.

I could also see how Magic could have a good influence in a coaching capacity given the numerous positive quotes about him. Oh wait.

I think Kobe could end up being good though. I just believe he's probably best suited in an advisory role. (As in, advising players who seek counsel from him).
the guys are young and from this era. thats all that was the point. people were afraid of kobe being too "Old school". And i just proved he wasnt too Old school for those guys so he darn sure wont be too old school for these guys from the same era.

That was funny. He got owned like always and just moved the post.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
This could be good. This could be bad. Let's wait and see.

don't see what might be bad about it...

Kobe is old school.

In some ways that can be good, and in some ways that can be bad.
To say it could be bad tells me you guys have not been paying attention to the other nba players he has worked with and or spoke with via phone calls.

Please go look up those stories and check those players numbers after working out with kobe or talking to him on the phone.

Then come back in here and tell us how it could be a bad thing.

None of that matters. Why? Cause it doesn't support his agenda.

Not to mention that it seems people have the wrong assumptions of the type of help Kobe will give.

Right? Like all players that work out with Kobe turn into selfish, pecking order, ISO heavy guys when there's 0 evidence of that. It's so ridiculous.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

There's no goal posts to move.

I'm not sure what to tell you. You can post as many Kyrie Irving quotes that you want and it won't change my opinion that Kobe could be a good coach for these kids, or he could not be good.

That's pretty much how everything in life, outside of the internet, goes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Kobe isn't going to be coaching these guys, he would be working out with them and sharing ways they can prepare for practice and games. He might teach them drills to improve on weaknesses. Him being an iso player has nothing to do with what he would teach them.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Lol so you're just going to move the goal posts from saying Kobe influenced guys from his own generation who were on their way out? Kyrie (24) and IT (28) are quite clearly not from Kobe's generation or on the way out.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Lol so you're just going to move the goal posts from saying Kobe influenced guys from his own generation who were on their way out? Kyrie (24) and IT (28) are quite clearly not from Kobe's generation or on the way out.

No. I just don't think because Kobe had words of encouragement for Isaiah Thomas that he liked, that that automatically guarantees the kids on our roster will blow up this year.

In real life, there are no certainties. Those only exist on the internet. I think there is a chance Kobe will be a big help, but I can see certain things where they don't mesh well. And apparently Luke does too, so it's not like crazy talk here.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

No. I just don't think because Kobe had words of encouragement for Isaiah Thomas that he liked, that that automatically guarantees the kids on our roster will blow up this year.

In real life, there are no certainties. Those only exist on the internet. I think there is a chance Kobe will be a big help, but I can see certain things where they don't mesh well. And apparently Luke does too, so it's not like crazy talk here.

I don't think anyone said there was a certainty. There's never certainty even when a talented person works with a legend. See Dwight working with Hakeem. That said, you're the one that suggested Kobe has only had positive influences on players in his generation who are nearly out the door, then shifted your argument when much younger players were brought up.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I don't think anyone said there was a certainty. There's never certainty even when a talented person works with a legend. See Dwight working with Hakeem. That said, you're the one that suggested Kobe has only had positive influences on players in his generation who are nearly out the door, then shifted your argument when much younger players were brought up.

You missed the earlier part of the discussion. I said Kobe being involved could be good or it could be bad. And left it at that. Then, the crusaders came in taking issue with the idea that it could possibly be bad. And mentioned quotes of former players. I saod that was a different era. So they mentioned quotes of current players. And again, those are all star type players who needed an ear and sought his help.

I think thats just different than having him placed in a coaching capacity. Whether that would be good, remains to be seen for me. I can really see it going either way.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

You missed the earlier part of the discussion. I said Kobe being involved could be good or it could be bad. And left it at that. Then, the crusaders came in taking issue with the idea that it could possibly be bad. And mentioned quotes of former players. I saod that was a different era. So they mentioned quotes of current players. And again, those are all star type players who needed an ear and sought his help.

I think thats just different than having him placed in a coaching capacity. Whether that would be good, remains to be seen for me. I can really see it going either way.

I getcha. That said. I don't think Kobe will be helping the players in a coaching capacity. I don't think he has an interest in that or how he's best served. That also said, I do think there's value in him having some involvement. He clearly knows the game very well, and I think if his work with the Kobe Muse series has proven anything, it's that he has an ability to share his insight in a way that is easy for people to understand. This isn't always an easy thing for people at the top of their professions to do.

Last edited by KBH on Sun May 28, 2017 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Agreed
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Kobe isn't going to be coaching these guys, he would be working out with them and sharing ways they can prepare for practice and games. He might teach them drills to improve on weaknesses. Him being an iso player has nothing to do with what he would teach them.

EXACTLY
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject:

I think we can skip the taboo part. Kobe's played with most of this roster before (save for BI and Zu) so they know what he's about. He'll give advice to the young guys based on their needs and potential areas of improvement. He won't try to reflect himself onto these guys, I'm sure he's smart enough to understand that is a tall order, and ultimately, not what he's here to do. Just ask Kawhi, or Isaiah, or Kyrie if Kobe's mentorship has been anything less than constructive for them.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Josh Jackson punches Kobe in the face during the 1v1, and Kobe will be like, "draft THAT guy".

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
Josh Jackson punches Kobe in the face during the 1v1, and Kobe will be like, "draft THAT guy".

That was a good one

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Mon May 29, 2017 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Isn't the Kobe the anti-team basketball? I'm sure he's "hyper-competitive" but his me-first mentality would not go over well with what we're trying to build here. Kobe is Kobe. His iso's worked because of his godly athleticism which no one on the Lakers have. We're teaching our young guys to GET OPEN and PASS the ball, play TEAM basketball. Kobe could go to the Knicks and teach Melo how to play iso better.
One is forgetting how Kobe wanted and thrived (albeit for a very short time) when playing next to Steve Nash
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Laker7 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
That was a good old
Black Mamba will say - GET THAT GUY.

Maybe Magic/Rob can figure a way (albeit a long shot) to get both since they appear to be more of what the Lakers need than the talented Fultz and Fox

Maybe a S&T involving Nick Young (http://fansided.com/2017/04/27/nba-free-agency-2017-5-offseason-needs-philadelphia-76ers/2/) could happen. Swaggy will get paid, 76ers will acquire a veteran wing that can shoot and Lakers will get the third pick since they don't need any additional rookies.

Swaggy would totally thrived in Philly!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Kobe has 20 years of real time NBA experience. That is something you cannot acquire without gaining some experience about the little things to succeed in the pros. Remember when Kobe went to Houston to work out with Hakeem to get little tips here and there? If an all time great in Kobe even with all his experience at that point in his career was ready to absorb knowledge from the legends that came before him, then the young kids could also be like a sponge and absorb whatever knowledge Kobe has gained from the game of basketball.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Kobe has 20 years of real time NBA experience. That is something you cannot acquire without gaining some experience about the little things to succeed in the pros. Remember when Kobe went to Houston to work out with Hakeem to get little tips here and there? If an all time great in Kobe even with all his experience at that point in his career was ready to absorb knowledge from the legends that came before him, then the young kids could also be like a sponge and absorb whatever knowledge Kobe has gained from the game of basketball.
If the kids are serious about wanting to be great NBA players, listening to former players that Magic/Rob wants to bring in (Kareem and Kobe) - how can learning how to win and have a elite championship team be bad.

Kobe goes ISO when he feels that the advantage is his being one of the greatest at creating his own shot. Since none of the present Lakers have shown the uncanny ability to create on their own most of the time, hopefully they will learn how Kobe loved working with Nash on the court.

Kareem is The Cap and THE MAN - developing needed footwork, sky hooks, mental toughness, etc. can only be good
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
If the kids are serious about wanting to be great NBA players, listening to former players that Magic/Rob wants to bring in (Kareem and Kobe) - how can learning how to win and have a elite championship team be bad.

Kobe goes ISO when he feels that the advantage is his being one of the greatest at creating his own shot. Since none of the present Lakers have shown the uncanny ability to create on their own most of the time, hopefully they will learn how Kobe loved working with Nash on the court.

Kareem is The Cap and THE MAN - developing needed footwork, sky hooks, mental toughness, etc. can only be good

Its a win-win situation for all involved.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject:

Kobe, Kareem, Magic, at FA meetings instead of Jim and Mitch? Do not even have to do the math.

That plus all the in's and outs of the game itself from Kobe/magic/Kareem, it just cannot get better than that....
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

Exactly....yet there are still some strange Lakers fans that want to criticize the new FO on every move like this they make. Bravo, I welcome it.

The tides have changed, Laker fans. This isn't the Him Buss show anymore.

I welcome all theses moves by the FO.

quote="FreakofNature"]Kobe, Kareem, Magic, at FA meetings instead of Jim and Mitch? Do not even have to do the math.

That plus all the in's and outs of the game itself from Kobe/magic/Kareem, it just cannot get better than that.... [/quote]
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: