OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
beastlybp wrote:
Lovefool wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
pmacla wrote:
lakid wrote:
lakerglory wrote:
For those who think Lavar Ball will have any negative impact on the Lakers or Lonzo for that matter should read this article and hear it from the UCLA coach himself if Lavar at any time had any negative impact with Lonzo the coach or the UCLA BBALL team...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lavar-lonzo-ball-lakers-20170526-story.html

What do you expect Alford to say? he made a deal with the devil to get Lonzo Ball and is now on the hook for Lavar's other 2 sons, he's not going to dime Lavar out. While Lavar may have never attended a practice it has been reported elsewhere that a rep from Lavar's team of associates was basically with Lonzo everywhere in Westwood including practices. I remember seeing this on one of the profiles of the balls.

especially since the one who is a Freshman this year will have trouble getting time on the court this year

I guess if you had to make an analogy for it, Lonzo is like Steph Curry while his 2 other sons are like Seth Curry. The other 2 kids will probably not make the NBA and if they manage to do so they would have a limited role.

Have y'all seen Lamelo play? I think he'll be the best of the three. He will def be a top three pick imo. His handles, shooting, and dribble penetration are better than both his brothers. Liangelo might have hard time making the league. He needs to work on his body. I have no doubt he will play a lot at ucla because he can shoot, and if alford can shoot so dismally in that offense, then Liangelo will def see playing time. If i were him, i wouldnt one and done, id def use that scholarship, get an education and work on his game. If he leaves after one year he's gonna be playing for the defenders. And lamelo is the real deal. Hes got the stuff.

Nah Lamelo not really all that, he's only 15 but he has a lot to work on. He got blown out by 50 against a team thats not even known and in front of James Harden, damn...

The Compton Magic are one of the best AAU programs in the country.

Yes CM is one of the better AAU teams in the country. Melo's Chino Hills teammate, Big O, who I happen to think is a better prospect is on CM. CM also has prospects from Arizona and across the west coast. They are a much better team than BB. This was CM's tournament and they on purpose played BB for the hype knowing they were clearly the better overall team. Big Ballers also lost to another team yesterday but it wasn't hyped as much.

With that said Melo was humiliated in that game. He will be 16 soon and is basically the same age as Big O and some of those other CM kids. LaMelo is obviously a better prospect than LiAngelo, should clearly have more college success, but he has a long way to go before he is close to an NBA prospect. He was protected by his big brothers and D1 teammates Eli Scott and Big O at Chino Hills. He has a very good handle but does not have the court vision of Lonzo. At this point he's still very young but is not physical and does not play defense. It's not a reflection on Lonzo either way. His brothers and father really shouldn't play a part in whether he ultimately gets drafted by the Lakers. Hopefully they just draft the prospect with the most talent/potential be it Lonzo or someone else.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject:

beastlybp wrote:
Lovefool wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
pmacla wrote:
lakid wrote:
lakerglory wrote:
For those who think Lavar Ball will have any negative impact on the Lakers or Lonzo for that matter should read this article and hear it from the UCLA coach himself if Lavar at any time had any negative impact with Lonzo the coach or the UCLA BBALL team...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lavar-lonzo-ball-lakers-20170526-story.html

What do you expect Alford to say? he made a deal with the devil to get Lonzo Ball and is now on the hook for Lavar's other 2 sons, he's not going to dime Lavar out. While Lavar may have never attended a practice it has been reported elsewhere that a rep from Lavar's team of associates was basically with Lonzo everywhere in Westwood including practices. I remember seeing this on one of the profiles of the balls.

especially since the one who is a Freshman this year will have trouble getting time on the court this year

I guess if you had to make an analogy for it, Lonzo is like Steph Curry while his 2 other sons are like Seth Curry. The other 2 kids will probably not make the NBA and if they manage to do so they would have a limited role.

Have y'all seen Lamelo play? I think he'll be the best of the three. He will def be a top three pick imo. His handles, shooting, and dribble penetration are better than both his brothers. Liangelo might have hard time making the league. He needs to work on his body. I have no doubt he will play a lot at ucla because he can shoot, and if alford can shoot so dismally in that offense, then Liangelo will def see playing time. If i were him, i wouldnt one and done, id def use that scholarship, get an education and work on his game. If he leaves after one year he's gonna be playing for the defenders. And lamelo is the real deal. Hes got the stuff.

Nah Lamelo not really all that, he's only 15 but he has a lot to work on. He got blown out by 50 against a team thats not even known and in front of James Harden, damn...

Lol wtf Compton magic unknown? Haha. You probably just don't know much about AAU
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Some dude on reddit wrote a code comparing NBA players to top prospects and it's quite interesting when it comes to Lonzo Ball

Quote:

1. Lonzo Ball - The most unique prospect in the dataset. His stats were so ridiculous that he returned the lowest similarity scores in the system. Jason Kidd’s sophomore year was Lonzo’s #1 per 40 minute similarity score. He was the only player to return a single season of Jason Kidd, and he managed to return both Kidd’s freshmen year and sophomore year. He also returned both of Rondo’s Kentucky seasons, which shows what Ball can be if his jump shot doesn’t translate. The system also returned both of MCW’s Syracuse seasons, two Kris Dunn seasons, and Evan Turner’s magical Junior OSU season, showing that he can bust just as easily as he can turn into the next JKidd. However, he produced unprecedented stats for a Freshman guard and appears to have a legendary BBIQ, which is why I give him the slight edge over Fultz.

Unique p40: Kidd (x2), Conley.

Others returned: Westbrook, Grant Hill, Artest, Penny (x2), Deron Williams (x2), Bibby, Wall, DRose.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6dx15v/oc_i_wrote_some_code_to_generate_comparable_nba/
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Another interesting article from the same person I believe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6df0xg/why_lonzo_ball_is_transcendent_in_graphs_and/

UCLA's 2017 assists/game is whopping 25% higher than the next highest over the last 12 seasons. Talk about contagious passing
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a big college basketball guy, so the only information I get from prospects is from reading online scouting reports, and watching Youtube highlights

From all accounts, it seems to me that Lonzo Ball is one of the more unique prospects to come out in quite some time. From his family, to his shooting stroke, to his usage percentage...

June 22nd can't come soon enough!
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject:

LilJay24 wrote:
Some dude on reddit wrote a code comparing NBA players to top prospects and it's quite interesting when it comes to Lonzo Ball

Quote:

1. Lonzo Ball - The most unique prospect in the dataset. His stats were so ridiculous that he returned the lowest similarity scores in the system. Jason Kidd’s sophomore year was Lonzo’s #1 per 40 minute similarity score. He was the only player to return a single season of Jason Kidd, and he managed to return both Kidd’s freshmen year and sophomore year. He also returned both of Rondo’s Kentucky seasons, which shows what Ball can be if his jump shot doesn’t translate. The system also returned both of MCW’s Syracuse seasons, two Kris Dunn seasons, and Evan Turner’s magical Junior OSU season, showing that he can bust just as easily as he can turn into the next JKidd. However, he produced unprecedented stats for a Freshman guard and appears to have a legendary BBIQ, which is why I give him the slight edge over Fultz.

Unique p40: Kidd (x2), Conley.

Others returned: Westbrook, Grant Hill, Artest, Penny (x2), Deron Williams (x2), Bibby, Wall, DRose.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6dx15v/oc_i_wrote_some_code_to_generate_comparable_nba/

This is getting me hyped and terrified at the same time, which is usually how I feel about Lonzo Ball as a prospect 24/7 anyway.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

I love it guys. Keep 'em coming!
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6df0xg/why_lonzo_ball_is_transcendent_in_graphs_and/

UCLA's 2017 assists/game is whopping 25% higher than the next highest over the last 12 seasons. Talk about contagious passing

Really starting to think Ball will be who I thought DLO would be.

The thing about Ball's passing being contagious and rubbing off on the rest of the team was something DLO had at first during his rookie year. It was funny the way other teammates adopted his signature, "unnecessary" no look passes lol. Even Kobe got caught up in it. It was great. Too short lived, though. But with Ball it seems more tangible because it's verified by the numbers.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

The thing about Ball's passing being contagious and rubbing off on the rest of the team was something DLO had at first during his rookie year. It was funny the way other teammates adopted his signature, "unnecessary" no look passes lol. Even Kobe got caught up in it. It was great. Too short lived, though. But with Ball it seems more tangible it's verified by the numbers.

And then DLO hit the NBA and got literally 2 touches in an entire half in his first game.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject:

I always gotta laugh at people who knock Russell's passing game when he lead the team in assists no matter what "position" they put him at.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

The thing about Ball's passing being contagious and rubbing off on the rest of the team was something DLO had at first during his rookie year. It was funny the way other teammates adopted his signature, "unnecessary" no look passes lol. Even Kobe got caught up in it. It was great. Too short lived, though. But with Ball it seems more tangible because it's verified by the numbers.
and that has always been lonzo's position. a pass first pg. he's been that way since he was a little kid.

not so with dlo. dlo was a scorer who was later in life taught to run some point but was an excellent passer when he did pass.
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject:

I like how guys who can't hit the broad side of a barn from further than 5 feet out can eventually "learn how to shoot", but when a guy who can otherwise hit from anywhere has trouble shooting off the dribble going to his right, it will definitely be an issue for his entire career.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject:

I'm starting to get cold feet on Lonzo who I was actually really fond of almost all year. I just look around the NBA and I'm asking myself, is a pass first pg with big questions on defense and scoring for himself really needed in today's NBA, especially in Luke's system? I mean, look at the two PGs in the finals right now, they play far more similar of a game to Dlo than ball, and when was the last time a pass first pg even led his team to a title? I'm thinking rondo, but was stacked with 3 hall of famers. I'm leaning hard towards Jackson at this point. I'm just asking myself if all the players reached their projected ceiling who would be the most valuable in a playoff series, and for me that's Jackson.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject:

Everything Lonzo does fits in Luke's system. In fact everything Lonzo does is a more perfect fit into Luke's system than any other top 5 prospect in this draft.

You look at what Lonzo did at UCLA and see it's the exact role the 2 would have in Luke's offense, almost to a T.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
I'm starting to get cold feet on Lonzo who I was actually really fond of almost all year. I just look around the NBA and I'm asking myself, is a pass first pg with big questions on defense and scoring for himself really needed in today's NBA, especially in Luke's system? I mean, look at the two PGs in the finals right now, they play far more similar of a game to Dlo than ball, and when was the last time a pass first pg even led his team to a title? I'm thinking rondo, but was stacked with 3 hall of famers. I'm leaning hard towards Jackson at this point. I'm just asking myself if all the players reached their projected ceiling who would be the most valuable in a playoff series, and for me that's Jackson.

As MJST said, it's better if you think of him as a SG who racks up a ton of assists.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Everything Lonzo does fits in Luke's system. In fact everything Lonzo does is a more perfect fit into Luke's system than any other top 5 prospect in this draft.

You look at what Lonzo did at UCLA and see it's the exact role the 2 would have in Luke's offense, almost to a T.

Sure as a 2, I like Lonzo more as SG than as a pg in our offense, but that's kinda the smallest point in my post. I just not seeing the need for a player like Lonzo with the number 2 overall pick in this draft especially if we're drafting him to be a 2 which would limit his overall ceiling. I see Lonzo as more of a "here Lonzo, here's a team we've built around you, run it" rather than a "hey come off that screen and hit a spot up, pass if if you're not open"
Lovefool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:

Lonzo is a pass first combo guard. The way he is used in the half court at ucla is how the Lakers should use him. His instincts, shooting, and unselfishness are rare. If Lonzo reaches his potential ceiling as a generational talent, he makes everyone on his team better, and the Lakers become a winning basketball team and a perenial contender.. Jj is an awesome prospect, and if a Lonzo Ball wasnt in this draft, id take him. Just cant pass on a talent so rare. No matter the outcome, i take that chance everytime.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject:

Lovefool wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:

Lonzo is a pass first combo guard. The way he is used in the half court at ucla is how the Lakers should use him. His instincts, shooting, and unselfishness are rare. If Lonzo reaches his potential ceiling as a generational talent, he makes everyone on his team better, and the Lakers become a winning basketball team and a perenial contender.. Jj is an awesome prospect, and if a Lonzo Ball wasnt in this draft, id take him. Just cant pass on a talent so rare. No matter the outcome, i take that chance everytime.

Yeah man, it's simply just my opinion but I'm not sure a hyper unselfish pass first guy with his weaknesses is super needed in today's NBA. I just feel a wing prospect like Jackson is far more valuable. I'm just looking at today's NBA finals and history and haven't seen many unselfish pass first guards win a ring.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:

As MJST said, it's better if you think of him as a SG who racks up a ton of assists.

This is what I expect. He may rack up the same amount of assists cutting down the turnovers.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject:

Footage of Lonzo as a Laker
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

flaaaames, im so ready
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
epak wrote:

flaaaames, im so ready

Me too

If he's going to be a bust then let him be our bust!

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Jiggling Jello
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
Yeah man, it's simply just my opinion but I'm not sure a hyper unselfish pass first guy with his weaknesses is super needed in today's NBA. I just feel a wing prospect like Jackson is far more valuable. I'm just looking at today's NBA finals and history and haven't seen many unselfish pass first guards win a ring.

The teams that have failed in the playoffs with unselfish pass-first guards tend to rely heavily on one player as the main focus of the offense. Once that player is negated, the system ends up collapsing. This happened most frequently with players in the D'Antoni system, and I believe James Harden will go down the same path as well if he doesn't get more help with distributing duties.

The teams that have won championships tend to have at least 2-3 strong ball-handlers and/or a good system in place. Most recent examples are LeBron James+Kyrie Irving, Stephen Curry+Draymond Green+Andre Iguodala+Warriors system, and Tony Parker+Manu Ginobili+Boris Diaw+Spurs system. I think the Lakers should try to strive for the same, but the only one I would count on at the moment to become a strong ball-handler is D'Angelo. Randle and Ingram are still works in progress, and we have yet to see if Clarkson can quell his tunnel vision consistently.

The biggest reason that I would use to advocate for Lonzo is that he fits with what the Lakers are trying to do, which is changing their culture into to one that emphasizes team ball. A team that moves the ball frequently is usually a team that is more engaged on offense and defense, and from what I have seen, happier, like with the Warriors and the Spurs. That shows, especially to free agents, and I think it's no coincidence that Kevin Durant and LaMarcus Aldridge went to the teams I just mentioned.

The Lakers as of now are a mix of disjointed talent trying to figure out how to play together. I think Lonzo would able to help Luke's efforts of making the Lakers a more cohesive unit, and if that happens, Paul George will definitely not turn a blind eye to signing in the offseason.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject:

Joe Johnson is another player who shoots from the opposite side of the head
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject:

Lonzo and DLo will be a great fit. Lonzo's deficiencies are more of a problem if he had to play with a more traditional 2 who can't pass or work the pnr like DLo can. However, both Ball and DLo are versatile and skilled enough to be really effective on or off the ball. These two are going to be a killer combo imo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 76 of 1688
Jump to: