RIP Gregg Allman

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: RIP Gregg Allman

Gregg Allman, dead at Age 69.

Great vocalist and musician.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/gregg-allman-soulful-trailblazer-southern-rock-dies-69-190958624.html
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject:

RIP Gregg. Another huge loss of one of my favorite. I will let one of my other top favorites, Warren Haynes, describe his thoughts on the man because they are so eloquent and heartfelt:

RIP Gregg Allman - I am at a loss for words. I was moved by Gregg’s voice when I first heard the Allman Brothers Band in 1969. I was nine years old. I had not even picked up a guitar yet but thanks to my to older brothers I had been exposed to a lot of great soul music with the best singers in the world. But this was something different. This music was making a deep emotional connection with me even though it was too complex for me to really understand. Somehow, though, it had this "common man” quality that allowed that music to connect with people on so many different levels without analyzing the ingredients that went into it-soul, blues, rock, country, jazz-all mixed together in a way no one had ever done before. And on top of it all was this beautiful voice that could be soothing, terrifying, mellow, angry, and amazingly natural and soulful all at the same time-and instantly captivating. It drew me in. It drew us all in.

Over the next few years I would begin to play guitar as everyone of my music loving friends became Allman Brothers’ freaks. That music spoke to anyone who heard it but in the South it resonated with us. It spoke volumes. It brought a voice to people like myself in the midst of some confusing, ever-changing times. Here was this group of Southern hippies with an integrated band coming out of the Deepest South with equally deep music on the heels of some extremely deep changes. We didn’t realize how heavy that was at the time but we sure realized how heavy the music was. Every guitar player in every Southern town was listening to the Live at Fillmore East record and worshipping at the altar of Duane Allman and Dickey Betts. But the icing on the cake was always Gregg’s voice. That’s what separated the ABB from being a band that only connected with music freaks. Women whom previously had only listened to the radio would tolerate the long jams to get to the parts where Gregg melted their souls with that angelic voice. It turned casual music fans into fanatical fans who were discovering a new multi-dimensional music that a few years prior wasn’t even in existence. And it was all due to Gregg’s voice-and the songs.

He wrote these amazing songs that were as natural as his voice was. The words and melodies felt so perfectly unpretentious and, when delivered by him, made an emotional connection that only happens when music is genuine and honest. I learned an enormous amount about singing and songwriting from him-most of it before we ever met.

I am truly honored to have been fortunate enough to have written many songs with him and equally honored to have traveled the world with him while making the best music the world has ever known. I will never, ever take that for granted. And on top of all that-he was my dear friend.

My fondest memories will always be of Gregg, myself, and Allen Woody sharing a tour bus together-listening to great music and laughing our asses off mile after mile. Traveling- like life- is so much better when you’ve got friends to share the experience with. I’ve lost too many lately and this one is gonna be hard to get past. There is some comfort in knowing that millions of people all over the world feel the same way.

I love you Gregory - WH

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

RIP. I was only lukewarm about his genre, but you don't have to be a fan to recognize greatness.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Just read the sad news. Another one from one of my all-time favorites bands. His voice and Hammond playing was as integral a part of ABB as Duane's or Dickey's playing.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Awww man. Came of age watching the ABB playing on a trailer in Piedmont Park in Atlanta for free. As in the comments above it was an interesting time.

The ABB was based in Macon and they were universally loved by the city. The mayor of Macon at the time was Machine Gun Ronnie Thompson who wore a Thompson submachine gun tie tack. He earned the name because he showed up at the scene of a police action where some miscreants were holed up in a building. Well Ronnie grabbed a machine gun from one of the cops and unloaded a magazine in the general direction of the building. Well Ronnie was also a fan of the ABB and basically gave then the run of the town. Interesting time a great band and a great singer. As they say.... And we shall never see his like again.

Edit for link.

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Another big loss. Love that quote by Warren Hayne's. Pretty much sums it. Big, powerful, soulful, timeless voice. Integral member of one of the great 60s bands. RIP Gregg
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Awww man. Came of age watching the ABB playing on a trailer in Piedmont Park in Atlanta for free. As in the comments above it was an interesting time.

The ABB was based in Macon and they were universally loved by the city. The mayor of Macon at the time was Machine Gun Ronnie Thompson who wore a Thompson submachine gun tie tack. He earned the name because he showed up at the scene of a police action where some miscreants were holed up in a building. Well Ronnie grabbed a machine gun from one of the cops and unloaded a magazine in the general direction of the building. Well Ronnie was also a fan of the ABB and basically gave then the run of the town. Interesting time a great band and a great singer. As they say.... And we shall never see his like again.

Edit for link.

You lucky SOB!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject:

Live at Fillmore East is one of the greatest albums of the 70'...!
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Live at Fillmore East is one of the greatest albums of the 70'...!

How about greatest live album ever? Maybe only the Stones' Get Yer Ya-Yas Out! comes near, although I'd still take the ABB album.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Now he and Duane can jam in rock & roll heaven. I have their box set, does the world really need a 20 minute version of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed or a 25 minute version of Tied to the Whipping Post? Hell yes.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Now he and Duane can jam in rock & roll heaven. I have their box set, does the world really need a 20 minute version of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed or a 25 minute version of Tied to the Whipping Post? Hell yes.

One of the Allmans' great contributions (along with The Dead of course) was the idea of a Jam Band.

Jamming is good, and the longer the jam, the better.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

One of the Allmans' great contributions (along with The Dead of course) was the idea of a Jam Band.

Going to a Dead show or an Allman Brothers there was always a chance you could see some magic. This cannot be said for bands that play the same sets night after night the same way on the entire tour. It's not the same not even close.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Going to a Dead show or an Allman Brothers there was always a chance you could see some magic. This cannot be said for bands that play the same sets night after night the same way on the entire tour. It's not the same not even close.

Hence my username here. Never was I disappointed by the magic that Warren Haynes and Gov't Mule brought to the stage every time I have seen them. There is always a special guest or an amazing cover song to make the evening memorable.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Ain't but one way out
Lord, Gregg, don't go out that
Because there's a man down
Might be old man I don't know.

Rest easy, one of the greatest most soulful voices of the south.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: