Official Jordan Clarkson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 606, 607, 608 ... 683, 684, 685  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Your opinions of our players doesn't seem to jive with Laker management, but I wouldn't expect to see them start dealing young players rather than paying them.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Your opinions of our players doesn't seem to jive with Laker management, but I wouldn't expect to see them start dealing young players rather than paying them.

Your terse 1 sentence responses are still not addressing how we're going to keep all 5 of those guys, improve our weaknesses (shooting), and at the same time sign PG.

What part doesnt? Magic has said great things about Julius and JC, but you're going to take that at face value? Magic is hyping them up to get as much value for them as possible. If you read in between the lines, Magic has hinted that we might end up trading some pieces "if it makes the team better."

The main player that Magic wants to hold on to is BI (not counting our #2 pick). He's talked about rebuilding with BI as a centerpiece; other than that, I think he's willing to trade the rest of our younger players, if it's the right move.

I think the difference here is our interpretation of what the FO has said, and what HAS to eventually happen.

Last edited by misterrunon on Sat May 20, 2017 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

What part doesnt? Magic has said great things about Julius and JC, but you're going to take that at face value?

Yes, but I have no agenda. Only some posters here think that Nance is better than Randle, and that is despite Nance having 3 more years of bball experience. Randle starts and finishes games. They aren't going to trade him because they are afraid to pay him. He is part of the core and the FO wants to add to that, not dump them for no reason. Now if you can trade him for an all star, you do it.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
misterrunon wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

What part doesnt? Magic has said great things about Julius and JC, but you're going to take that at face value?

Yes, but I have no agenda. Only some posters here think that Nance is better than Randle, and that is despite Nance having 3 more years of bball experience. Randle starts and finishes games. They aren't going to trade him because they are afraid to pay him. He is part of the core and the FO wants to add to that, not dump them for no reason. Now if you can trade him for an all star, you do it.

Why do you keep ignoring the fact that if we pay him big (along with all of your younger guys), we can't sign PG? Keeping him would mean we'd lose out on the PG sweepstakes.

JR has the better overall individual talent, but Nance brings more of what the team needs - off ball play, intangibles, consistency, and defense.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Because we can sign PG and then re-sign Randle. His cap hold is all we would have against our cap number. We can do both.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Because we can sign PG and then re-sign Randle. His cap hold is all we would have against our cap number. We can do both.

Randle is 1 player. As I have mentioned, LNJ and DLO will be eligible for the qualifying offer, and Zubac will be in the last year of his contract.

If we blow all of our money on re-signing Randle after getting PG, we'll probably be over the cap and need to fill 3-4 more spots. Then the following year, we'll have to re-sign DLO, Zubac, and LNJ. How is that possible?

Last edited by misterrunon on Sat May 20, 2017 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject:

We won't have cap space after 2018 when we will have to pay our young players. The good thing is that if they perform well, we will have some decent contracts to use in trades.
january
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject:

I think that this is a question : Want Luke have two completely different style (as last season starters and bench) lineups or not?

If not Clarkson should be traded.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Kawhi and Jimmy

Those two guys came into the league in their 20's and averaged 3 and 8 points in their first season. By year 3 they both averaged 13. They didn't become All-Stars until after 4-5 years in the league.

Lakers fans would be calling them busts and trading them looking for more 19 year olds to build around.

Jordan Clarkson came in at 22, just like Butler and put up 12 his first year and 15 in year 3. People say trade him.

Ingram at age 19 put up 9 in year 1 and people want to call him a bust right now.

D'Angelo at age 19 put up 13 in year 1 and 15 last year. Everybody wants to trade him and is calling him a bust.

At age 22 Julius Randle put up 13, 9 & 4 and everybody wants to trade him calling him a bust. A player Julius is often compared to, Draymond Green put up 3, 3, & 1 at age 22. People say Randle can't shoot jumpers, but Draymond shot .271 from 3 his first two seasons. Julius shot .273.

Zubac is my favorite. As a 19 year old rookie he came in at 7'1" 265 lbs, that's huge! He put up 7.5 points and 4 rebounds in just 16 minutes per game. His last 10 games (all but the first were starts) he average 12 & 6 in 22 minutes. A guy he compares to, Marc Gasol came into the league at age 24 and put up 12 & 7 in 30 minutes that season.

I think Randle, Clarkson and D'Angelo take big leaps this season, while Zubac and Ingram show improvement.

If Paul George gets all NBA and can get a super max offer from Indiana I don't think he leaves them with @$80 million extra dollars on the table.

I hope we keep the core together and Add Ball or Fultz. Maybe PG13 comes in a trade at the draft or at the deadline, but we'll have the most leverage at those too points. No need to overpay.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Nice post, too many here have lost perspective. If we want young players we need to be patient enough to allow them to develop as other franchises have done.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We won't have cap space after 2018 when we will have to pay our young players. The good thing is that if they perform well, we will have some decent contracts to use in trades.

every team that plans on having talented roster will run out of cap space....that is the point of the cap.....we will not dump Randle out of fear of paying him. That being said, i am sure there is a maximum amount our FO will pay him....he has as of yet proven to be a max player.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Am I the only one that thinks Indiana has no desire to pay PG-13 a super max contract? It is almost impossible to build a roster around one unless you do not care to pay heavy taxes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks Indiana has no desire to pay PG-13 a super max contract? It is almost impossible to build a roster around one unless you do not care to pay heavy taxes.

It is a major double edged sword that may backfire on small market teams that wanted to keep stars. You keep your guy but now he eats up 35% of your cap? Ouch.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

every team that plans on having talented roster will run out of cap space....that is the point of the cap.....we will not dump Randle out of fear of paying him. That being said, i am sure there is a maximum amount our FO will pay him....he has as of yet proven to be a max player.

True, but then again, they don't have to pay him now. I doubt he gets max even if he averages 20/11/6. I would guess they settle somewhere between JC money and the max.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm hoping JC brings it on the defensive end this year.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

True, but then again, they don't have to pay him now. I doubt he gets max even if he averages 20/11/6. I would guess they settle somewhere between JC money and the max.

if he averages 20/11/6....we better keep him!
Lovefool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

if he averages 20/11/6....we better keep him!

I think he could do it. Julius to me is a building block. I just look at what we saw his first full season to this past. Im pleased with his improvement and feel he has such a rare skill set with his body type. Defense is one of the last things players develop esp his weakness which is help. Im ok with his on ball d. He is young. This year i expect him to make his mark... Establishing his niche and importance to this team!.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Nice post, too many here have lost perspective. If we want young players we need to be patient enough to allow them to develop as other franchises have done.

I agree about the lost perspective, the objetive is winning titles, period.

If a young player is showing signs that he can be a main piece to achieve this unique objective we should keep and develop him, otherwise we use him to bring home the kind of talent that will help us to win it all.

What is the sense to accumulate young talent for the sake to be a young team? We have college basketball, NBA is a grow man game performed by pros and teams winning it all most years are those with transcendental players.

You don't trade a Kobe Bryant or James Harden, any player a tier bellow can be used as trade coin.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Rumors: L.A. ‘Increasingly Open-Minded’ About Trading Jordan Clarkson

Quote:
I’ve been told by someone in the know that the Lakers are “increasingly open-minded” about trading Jordan Clarkson and to not be surprised for him to end up being moved as soon as draft night. That’s conjecture at this point, as the Lakers need not rush to clear what may appear to be a logjam in the making.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-la-increasingly-open-minded-about-trading-jordan-clarkson/2017/05/31/
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:
I’ve been told by someone in the know that the Lakers are “increasingly open-minded” about trading Jordan Clarkson and to not be surprised for him to end up being moved as soon as draft night. That’s conjecture at this point, as the Lakers need not rush to clear what may appear to be a logjam in the making.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-la-increasingly-open-minded-about-trading-jordan-clarkson/2017/05/31/

Where is the "logjam"?

Lakers have Russell, Clarkson and Nwaba currently under contract at the guard position. Suppose Young should be included until he officially opts out. Presumably also adding Ball.

That's it. Thin rotation IMO if Clarkson traded.

If Clarkson is traded to bring in George or similar I understand. For anything else makes little sense to me. A draft pick? Perhaps if they are using the saved salary for another free agent guard?

Please explain the need to move him.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Disagree.

Patience isn't the problem at all right now. The issue is if these are the right guys or not. At least some probably aren't, that is just the painful reality of it.

I wouldn't get too attached to any favorites if I was you, I don't want you to get your heart broken (again)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject:

And how do you know if a player is worth keeping? Be patient and let him develop into the player he will become. Unless someone is offering a star player for him, that changes the game plan.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Where is the "logjam"?

Lakers have Russell, Clarkson and Nwaba currently under contract at the guard position. Suppose Young should be included until he officially opts out. Presumably also adding Ball.

If Clarkson is traded to bring in George or similar I understand. For anything else makes little sense to me. A draft pick? Perhaps if they are using the saved salary for another free agent guard?

I feel we need to keep him an evaluate for at least another season.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Where is the "logjam"?

I am ready to cut bait on JC. Guy has 4 years of college and now 3 in the NBA and still can't defend a cardboard cutout. Still a poor 3 point shooter.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
pio2u wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Where is the "logjam"?

I am ready to cut bait on JC. Guy has 4 years of college and now 3 in the NBA and still can't defend a cardboard cutout. Still a poor 3 point shooter.

If we traded JC I would hope we could package Deng or Moz as part of the deal.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 606, 607, 608 ... 683, 684, 685  Next
Page 607 of 685
Jump to: