Mike Tirico, veteran ESPN sportscaster, leaving for NBC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Mike Tirico, veteran ESPN sportscaster, leaving for NBC

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/25/media/mike-tirico-espn-monday-night-football-nbc/index.html?section=money_topstories

Quote:

Mike Tirico, veteran ESPN sportscaster, leaving for NBC

Mike Tirico, a veteran ESPN sportscaster, is leaving the network for NBC after 25 years.
One of the ESPN's long-serving sportcasters is leaving.
Mike Tirico, the current play-by-play announcer of "Monday Night Football," is headed to NBC, an industry source confirmed to CNNMoney on Monday.
Tirico, who has been on ESPN's flagship NFL broadcast since 2006, will leave after his contract ends this summer. The move was first reported by Sports Business Daily.
Tirico was a linchpin for ESPN. He covered multiple sports including NBA games, college basketball and golf coverage.
He has also been a staple at the network since 1991.

ESPN announcer Sean McDonough is the front runner to replace Tirico on "Monday Night Football," according to the source. McDonough signed a contract extension with the network earlier this year.
Jon Gruden is currently the other commentator on the Monday night football broadcast.
John Ourand of Sports Business Daily reports that Tirico is expected to be the lead play-by-play announcer on NBC's "Thursday Night Football."
NBC, along with CBS, made a $450 million two-year deal with the NFL in February to air a portion of the Thursday night package of games.
ESPN and NBC declined to comment.
Tirico is the latest big name to leave ESPN. Established network personalities like Bill Simmons, Keith Olbermann, and ESPN Radio host Colin Cowherd have all left the network in the past year.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Loved his work with Danny Glover!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

ESPN didn't want to pay. It's the whole cord cutting issue Disney has been dealing with.

NBC is smart, Tirico will likely be the heir apparent to Al Michaels, who's 71, for SNF.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Not a fan of his.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject:

I bet NBC has a lot of foxy little interns for Tirico to chase after. He was among the worst ESPN "bad boys" essentially doing the equivalent of stalking women he worked with.

Since he is a celebrity of course they don't call it that.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Not a fan of his.

He's just...meh. Reminds me of Jim Nantz on CBS. They do every sport, but they don't do anything really well.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Not a fan of his.

He's just...meh. Reminds me of Jim Nantz on CBS. They do every sport, but they don't do anything really well.

Tirico is much better at play-play-play than Nantz is, which basically means football and basketball. Nantz's style works well with golf--and he's truly knowledgeable about golf--but other than that, he's very mediocre IMO.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Wilt wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Not a fan of his.

Tirico is much better at play-play-play than Nantz is, which basically means football and basketball. Nantz's style works well with golf--and he's truly knowledgeable about golf--but other than that, he's very mediocre IMO.

Nantz annoys me with his well rehearsed lines.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Wilt wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Not a fan of his.

His partner for football on CBS is literally the worst color guy I've ever heard (Phil Sims)
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

I like his brother Greg Gumble better.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Now Bayless is leaving.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Freddie Buckets wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Wilt wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Not a fan of his.

His partner for football on CBS is literally the worst color guy I've ever heard (Phil Sims)

Simms is absolutely dreadful. Worse than Gruden, whom I don't like at all because everyone is the best player at their position in the league that week.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:

I like all 3 of the Gumbel triplets, Mike, Greg, Bean, and their white cousin Bob Costas. Eggheady mild-mannered sports announcers and hosts are better than Tom Tolbert types. They just are. Better to be slightly bored and slightly annoyed at the nerd in the booth than to have an obnoxious bastard like Jeff Van Gundy instead. King Of Comedy type. Reference: 1983 DeNiro film where he had a dream of becoming a comedian, but sucked at it. Difference is that DeNiro's character was accidentally amusing, JVG isn't funny accidentally or on purpose. I have way too many games saved that were graffitied with his drivel and Breen's strained, phony laugh after every joke. Jeff talked about soft serve ice cream during a stretch of live play in one of our Finals wins in 2010. That stuff is unnecessary. I'd rather have Joel Meyers over that.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

I like all 3 of the Gumbel triplets, Mike, Greg, Bean, and their white cousin Bob Costas. Eggheady mild-mannered sports announcers and hosts are better than Tom Tolbert types. They just are. Better to be slightly bored and slightly annoyed at the nerd in the booth than to have an obnoxious bastard like Jeff Van Gundy instead. King Of Comedy type. Reference: 1983 DeNiro film where he had a dream of becoming a comedian, but sucked at it. Difference is that DeNiro's character was accidentally amusing, JVG isn't funny accidentally or on purpose. I have way too many games saved that were graffitied with his drivel and Breen's strained, phony laugh after every joke. Jeff talked about soft serve ice cream during a stretch of live play in one of our Finals wins in 2010. That stuff is unnecessary. I'd rather have Joel Meyers over that.

I could never get past his voice. It's just unpleasant IMO, whether he's doing basketball or football.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

Great post, very well done!

Breen's creepy laughter has forced this viewer to the mute button more than once.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject:

What's with ESPN cutting all these high profile cats?

Personally, I've never been too much a fan of Tirico. His lines always seemed very scripted to me, and sometimes feels as if he's trying to get amped up during critical stretches, which comes off as contrived. He was the most terrible thing about MNF when he was in. I'll take Mike Breen any day.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Damn Tirico is good at what he does, always well prepared. I don't think I watch anything on NBC besides SNF, but Al Michaels is good as well and probably not going anywhere for a few more years at least.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Freddie Buckets wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Wilt wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Not a fan of his.

Simms is absolutely dreadful. Worse than Gruden, whom I don't like at all because everyone is the best player at their position in the league that week.

I agree on Simms, terrible. But I don't like Gruden for pretty much what you just said. Also, he's bashing a team for not doing much, they make a big play, and BOOM they're taking it to the other team lol. What a couple of clowns.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject:

The guy is good but he doens't make any memorable calls because he has the charm of Ben Stein on pot.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/sean-mcdonough-is-new--monday-night-football--play-by-play-voice-191548468.html

Quote:
Sean McDonough is new 'Monday Night Football' play-by-play voice

Sean McDonough has his work cut out for him. He's taking over one of the most coveted roles in the history of sports broadcasting.
McDonough will be the new voice of "Monday Night Football" on ESPN. The network announced Monday that he will replace Mike Tirico. When news leaked that Tirico was heading to NBC later this year, McDonough was immediately identified as the top candidate to fill the role. He obviously is well respected within ESPN.

Although "Monday Night Football" isn't the cultural phenomenon it was 40 or even 20 years ago — the NFL has significantly shifted its priority to "Sunday Night Football" and often left ESPN with unattractive Monday night games as a result — it's still a historic job. Not many people have been in that play-by-play chair, on a regular basis. The great Keith Jackson did it for one year, in 1970. Frank Gifford, a Hall of Fame player, took over play-by-play duties from 1971-85. Al Michaels, one of the icons of sports broadcasting, was the Monday night play-by-play man from 1986-2005. Then Tirico took over for 10 seasons.

McDonough will be the fifth play-by-play man in "Monday Night Football" history. He is versatile, smooth on a game call, not overly excitable but raises his game to the moment, and has a quick wit. His call of the famous Syracuse-Connecticut six-overtime game in the 2009 Big East tournament was phenomenal. His call of Rip Hamilton's buzzer-beating shot in the 1998 NCAA tournament is a classic.

His call of last season's Michigan State miracle win over Michigan on a flubbed punt was also fantastic:

McDonough said getting the job was "the dream of a professional lifetime" for him, and he understands how special the job itself is.

"Anyone in our business would be thrilled to have this opportunity, and I am excited beyond description," McDonough said in a Q&A with ESPN. "I also feel a great sense of responsibility to uphold the standard of excellence established by Keith [Jackson], Frank [Gifford], Al [Michaels] and Mike [Tirico]."

McDonough is as solid as it comes, but he's probably not a "famous" name for the job. And that's OK — don't forget the years of Dennis Miller and Tony Kornheiser doing color in the "MNF" booth. McDonough has done just about every sport in his career, though he might not be entirely familiar to NFL fans (though older NFL fans likely remember his father, longtime Boston Globe sportswriter Will McDonough). But he has been on a prime slot in ESPN's college football coverage for years and has done NFL games on ESPN Radio since 2013.

McDonough might not have been a splashy name for one of the biggest jobs in sports broadcasting, but he has earned the shot.
halosage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Bang!
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject:

I like Mike. Think he does a great job acting like a nice innocent man when we all know he's probably a huge stalker/pedophile.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/31/mike-tirico-to-call-play-by-play-on-nbcs-thursday-night-football/

Quote:
Mike Tirico to call play-by-play on NBC’s Thursday Night Football

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 31, 2017, 4:30 PM EDT

Mike Tirico will be spending more time in the booth and Al Michaels will focus on Sunday nights this season.

Tirico is taking over for Michaels as the play-by-play announcer on NBC’s Thursday Night Football broadcasts for 2017. Michaels will continue to call Sunday Night Football, and Cris Collinsworth will remain the analyst for all of NBC’s NFL games.

The NFL has an agreement with both CBS and NBC that the networks will use their top broadcast teams for Thursday Night Football. For CBS, that means Jim Nantz and new arrival Tony Romo, who replaces Phil Simms. For NBC, that has meant Michaels and Collinsworth, but the NFL confirmed that it has approved Tirico stepping in for Michaels.

Prior to joining NBC last year, Tirico was the lead voice on ESPN’s Monday Night Football broadcasts. Michaels has been the lead voice on Sunday Night Football since it premiered on NBC in 2006. Michaels will call Super Bowl LII in February, his 10th Super Bowl as play-by-play announcer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: