Report: Lakers actively seeking trade offers for Jordan Clarkson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I don't know if anybody posted this elsewhere on another thread, but I came across an article in the Deseret News (a Salt Lake City publication) where the Jazz's offseason is discussed. The writer brings up a possible Derrick Favors for Clarkson trade, with us getting one of their draft picks as well. (Utah has the following selections in the draft: 24, 30, 42, and 55.) I'll post the Favors-Clarkson stuff below, with the link for the entire article below that...

Once viewed a Jazz cornerstone, the league seems to have evolved past Favors.

When Quin Snyder took over as head coach in 2014, Utah’s DNA changed. The Jazz have “gotten with the times,” so to speak, and no longer rely on big bruisers inside. The fundamentals of traditional Jazz basketball — defense and rebounding — are still intact, but the team has become more modern with an emphasis placed on spacing and versatility.

Favors can neither defend most power forwards (now called “stretch fours” for their ability to shoot threes) nor hit shots from the perimeter himself. With Favors and Gobert roaming inside the paint, the Jazz’s driving lanes become clogged, making life for their guards and Hayward more difficult.

Favors, coming off a season when he missed 32 games to injury, is entering the final season of his contract and recognizes the reality of the situation while desiring to build on what's been happening in Utah. "I know it's going to be a crazy offseason, but we've got a lot of good players here and I'm excited to be a part of it," he said at Jazz locker clean-out last month.

It’s unlikely the Jazz will want to commit $200-plus million to their front court, though, knowing that a number of their wing players are either free agents or due for extensions soon.

Teams will still have interest in Favors, especially those that could use him as a sixth man, like the Milwaukee Bucks did with Greg Monroe and the Oklahoma City Thunder with Enes Kanter. His scoring and rebounding can be valuable, and Favors can fortify a second unit and serve as a part-time starter when injuries occur.

Utah can package one or two of its four draft picks to make a package centered around Favors more enticing.

The Los Angeles Lakers own the second pick in this year’s draft and are reportedly looking to trade Jordan Clarkson to make room for Lonzo Ball, who’s projected to get picked at the spot.

Clarkson, 24, averaged 14.7 points on a career-high 44.5 percent shooting last season. The Jazz could theoretically send Favors and his expiring deal to the Lakers with one of their picks for Clarkson, as their salaries match and would fit into the league’s guidelines for acceptable deals.

In return, the Jazz would get a scoring guard under contract until 2020 and the Lakers would get a productive big man in Favors (along with salary cap relief next season) and an additional draft pick. This type of trade is conceivably one the Jazz could complete in the next few weeks.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865681530/3-offseason-objectives-for-the-Jazz-that-dont-involve-Gordon-Hayward.html

Uh, Favors doesn't fit what Luke is trying to run either. There's no point for the Lakers to do that trade.

PASS.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I don't know if anybody posted this elsewhere on another thread, but I came across an article in the Deseret News (a Salt Lake City publication) where the Jazz's offseason is discussed. The writer brings up a possible Derrick Favors for Clarkson trade, with us getting one of their draft picks as well. (Utah has the following selections in the draft: 24, 30, 42, and 55.) I'll post the Favors-Clarkson stuff below, with the link for the entire article below that...

When Quin Snyder took over as head coach in 2014, Utah’s DNA changed. The Jazz have “gotten with the times,” so to speak, and no longer rely on big bruisers inside. The fundamentals of traditional Jazz basketball — defense and rebounding — are still intact, but the team has become more modern with an emphasis placed on spacing and versatility.

Favors can neither defend most power forwards (now called “stretch fours” for their ability to shoot threes) nor hit shots from the perimeter himself. With Favors and Gobert roaming inside the paint, the Jazz’s driving lanes become clogged, making life for their guards and Hayward more difficult.

Favors, coming off a season when he missed 32 games to injury, is entering the final season of his contract and recognizes the reality of the situation while desiring to build on what's been happening in Utah. "I know it's going to be a crazy offseason, but we've got a lot of good players here and I'm excited to be a part of it," he said at Jazz locker clean-out last month.

It’s unlikely the Jazz will want to commit $200-plus million to their front court, though, knowing that a number of their wing players are either free agents or due for extensions soon.

Teams will still have interest in Favors, especially those that could use him as a sixth man, like the Milwaukee Bucks did with Greg Monroe and the Oklahoma City Thunder with Enes Kanter. His scoring and rebounding can be valuable, and Favors can fortify a second unit and serve as a part-time starter when injuries occur.

Utah can package one or two of its four draft picks to make a package centered around Favors more enticing.

The Los Angeles Lakers own the second pick in this year’s draft and are reportedly looking to trade Jordan Clarkson to make room for Lonzo Ball, who’s projected to get picked at the spot.

Clarkson, 24, averaged 14.7 points on a career-high 44.5 percent shooting last season. The Jazz could theoretically send Favors and his expiring deal to the Lakers with one of their picks for Clarkson, as their salaries match and would fit into the league’s guidelines for acceptable deals.

In return, the Jazz would get a scoring guard under contract until 2020 and the Lakers would get a productive big man in Favors (along with salary cap relief next season) and an additional draft pick. This type of trade is conceivably one the Jazz could complete in the next few weeks.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865681530/3-offseason-objectives-for-the-Jazz-that-dont-involve-Gordon-Hayward.html

Uh, Favors doesn't fit what Luke is trying to run either. There's no point for the Lakers to do that trade.

There is a point, I just checked hoopshype and he only has 2 years remaining in his contract on a not so expensive contract.

To be clear, 2017-18 will be the final year of Favors' contract.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

There is a point, I just checked hoopshype and he only has 2 years remaining in his contract on a not so expensive contract.

To be clear, 2017-18 will be the final year of Favors' contract.

2 year shorter then Clarksons deal which would run until 2020.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Also, I'm pretty sure Favors is much more valued then Clarkson in the NBA, you can find a way to trade Favors at the TD to a playoff team.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject:

^^
I think it would just depend on the team. I think that some teams would value JC higher because he is controlled for 3 years. But I also think that some teams (maybe with old-school coaches) would prefer Favors' skill set more and wouldn't be as interested in Clarkson, and they might like that Favors is an expiring.

But if we did this proposed trade, I would only do it if the pick we got back were the #24 or the #30, and I would try to flip Favors for whatever I could get. Even a future 2nd. I do agree that Favors would just be overkill with our frontcourt and that he wouldn't really offer much of anything new. The only reason I'd keep him is if we had a separate deal lined up in which Randle was heading outward.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

As much as I truly love JClarks Game and believes he should be on this team. I could easily see him being traded for other pieces and cap room.
This kid has truly carved out a place for himself in this league and is worthy of whatever he gets. However I can't see him going anywhere else and would hope the Lakers are able to keep him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject:

IF we have plans for a big splash in 2018, I think his 12.5m deal will be traded.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
IF we have plans for a big splash in 2018, I think his 12.5m deal will be traded.

Can Lebron come for the mid level?
You know he'd make way more in endorsements in Lala.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

While I certainly agree with your first sentence, the point would be to pick up a pick, possibly #30, and shed salary next season. If the pick were 24 or 30 I would strongly consider it. We could even try to move Favors for anything we could get, maybe even a 2nd rounder to a team that's starved for bigs.

Umm...why would Utah give the Lakers a pick for getting the better player on a shorter deal? I assume it would be the Lakers giving Utah a pick, if anything.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

There is no point trading for favors if we still are left with Deng and mozgov

Would they be ok doing
Favors/Burks for Deng/Clarkson?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:

Would they be ok doing

This crushes their cap.
They still need to re-sign George and Ingles.
Not sure if Utah is a FA destination though.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Lebron's net worth is close $300M and counting with endorsement and investments. An intriguing detail is part of his "empire" is a Hollywood based entertainment production company that is partners with Time Warner.

So theoretically (but not likely IMO) Lebron could decide to join the Lakers for just about anything he wants. Not sure the Player's Union would approve but interesting none the less.

I do not think it is out of the realm of possibility that a new Super Team will be built around like minded stars accepting much less then market value to make it happen. Instead of striving for max contracts why not 3 stars like Lebron, George and Paul each accepting only $10M each? Are we so far from that happening?

Why not the Lakers? Just hope the FO and ownership is not relying on this plan.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

Would they be ok doing

This crushes their cap.

you do that trade after hayward goes to miami/celtics and G Hill goes to his daddy popvich
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

Would they be ok doing

This crushes their cap.

I think the only way it makes sense is if you repackage the #24 with Moz or Deng to a third team looking for picks. Something like Deng/24/28 to Brooklyn for Booker. Those two deals together would clear $30 million in cap space for 2018.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

Chase.button07 wrote:
epak wrote:
Chase.button07 wrote:

Would they be ok doing

This crushes their cap.

you do that trade after hayward goes to miami/celtics and G Hill goes to his daddy popvich

Yeah, in all honesty I feel like if Moz or Deng get moved this summer it won't be until free agency starts drying up and teams realize that they're not getting the players they wanted. At that point some teams are going to need to spend money on something and might see a Clarkson/Deng deal as their best option. Sacramento, Philadelphia, Brooklyn and maybe Utah could all find themselves way under the cap with little interest from free agents.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

A torn-achilles Kobe, one ring short of MJ, wouldn't take less than 20 million per.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

I don't see Clarkson getting traded any time soon. Ideally, he has a strong season this year, and you move him at the deadline for a pick. Use the pick to get a team to take Moz or Deng off your hands, when they have a much more palatable 2 years left on their deals.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:

I don't think adding another late first round guaranteed contract is in our best interest, unless we have another destination for it.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject:

If you look at the top of the lakers payoll you see Deng, Mosgov,
Clarkson. All second string players. At the TOP of the payroll.

Look at other teams payroll. They pay for all star or first string talent at the top of the payroll.

This is what Jim and Mitch made the Lakers.

Magic can turn it around, but will need patience and time.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

Look at other teams payroll. They pay for all star or first string talent at the top of the payroll.

Yeah, rookies are cheaper than vets.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

Yes, what Jim and Mitch made was a team with rookie year contracts starting. Who is paid more will change drastically in the next couple of seasons.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

those 2 big contracts will feel like crap in the next couple of seasons
unless a trade savior appears..
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Why? Expecting a top FA to come to a lottery team?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Why? Expecting a top FA to come to a lottery team?

That isn't preventing Hayward from being linked to Miami, you can win 41 games or 26 games, that isn't important you also need to have a Organization who knows how to build winning envorinments, the Lakers have reportedly got FAs interested in coming here btw, yeah we are a lottery team and we are still getting respected by FAs that must make you upset.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

While I certainly agree with your first sentence, the point would be to pick up a pick, possibly #30, and shed salary next season. If the pick were 24 or 30 I would strongly consider it. We could even try to move Favors for anything we could get, maybe even a 2nd rounder to a team that's starved for bigs.

Umm...why would Utah give the Lakers a pick for getting the better player on a shorter deal? I assume it would be the Lakers giving Utah a pick, if anything.

This is from the point of view of a Jazz writer. Don't shoot the messenger lol. What I posted in italics is what the writer said. There might be a prevailing thought over there that Favors' place on the team is worthless, that he's an expiring, and that JC would actually be a useful piece for them for 3 more years. That's why they'd give up a pick. Simply put, they would feel that JC was useful for them and that Favors isn't.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 27 of 28
Jump to: