If LA Lakers Draft Lonzo Ball, Is D'Angelo Russell Out?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: If LA Lakers Draft Lonzo Ball, Is D'Angelo Russell Out?

Hey all,

Here's my latest at Bleacher Report

If LA Lakers Draft Lonzo Ball, Is D'Angelo Russell Out? - Or are they a good fit together?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2714665-if-la-lakers-draft-lonzo-ball-is-dangelo-russell-out

With a tip of the hat to LG's GoldenThroat - quoted in the article.

Cheers,

EP

Last edited by emplay on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject:

I think there are 3 good reasons not to trade DLO if we draft Ball:

- Ball still has to play one NBA game. We expect a lot from him, but what if his game doesn't translate? What if DLO becomes the best of them both?

- We saw that counting on a 19/20-yo to run PG is tough. Without DLO we're back to square 1. He can help Ball adapting to the NBA.

- As GT and others say, I think they can be great together.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject:

Russell to Philly for there 3rd pick and Henderson
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

No! Simmons or no DLo!
TrueBlueLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

No. I think they can keep Russell and move him to the 2.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Good article emplay. Thanks. Now, to answer the question. No, I don't believe if Ball is in, Russell is out. I'd make the argument that they have complementary skill sets that can prove to be special. They're both able and willing passers, which is the key for me.

They both have the kind of skill sets that if you construct an ideal roster around them, a roster that has at least two athletic defensive-minded wings, (that's why I love Nance Jr) and at least one dead-eye shooter like a Frye or Korver, coupled with the expected internal improvement of Randle ,Ingram, Nance Jr, Zubac and the rest, and I like where we're going.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Three words = Josh Jackson please.
HC: Riley
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject:

Letting DeAngelo and keeping Lonzo would be a big mistake.

Having Ball and DeAngelo... means you have two guards who struggle penetrating the heart of defenses. Works with Golden State... but GS is packed with surrounding talent.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject:

D'Lonzo.

I urge folks to listen to Sam Vecencie's latest podcast re: the Lakers. He echoes a lot of what I think about DLO, as well as his synergy with Lonzo.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

No! Simmons or no DLo!

Fan of DLO, but Simmons for him yes.....
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

If the combo becomes a problem on D, I'd really like to see them target Avery Bradley in 2018. I have a strong feeling he'll end up being an odd man out in Boston.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
If the combo becomes a problem on D, I'd really like to see them target Avery Bradley in 2018. I have a strong feeling he'll end up being an odd man out in Boston.

If D'Lonzo work out, wouldn't he be an odd man out in LA? I'd love him as a third guard, but not at $20M+ per season.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

No! Simmons or no DLo!

If you're looking to give up your best player (currently), aim high, I say.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
I think there are 3 good reasons not to trade DLO if we draft Ball:

- Ball still has to play one NBA game. We expect a lot from him, but what if his game doesn't translate? What if DLO becomes the best of them both?

- We saw that counting on a 19/20-yo to run PG is tough. Without DLO we're back to square 1. He can help Ball adapting to the NBA.

- As GT and others say, I think they can be great together.

I agree with all of these.
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Not sure why everyone is so eager to trade D'lo for a draft choice when he has been getting better every year and hasn't reached his ceiling yet imo. Maybe its the shiny new prospect syndrome. We have already seen him play the off guard position with success so drafting Ball, Fox or Fultz shouldn't affect his playing time - and whats the likely hood that the rookie starts right away anyways. Furthermore, the only social media photos I see of him now is of him in the gym, with Magic or with his dog. So maybe he's matured from being drafted at 18 years old or his grandmother passing away accelerated his growing up. I've already seen him drop 40 in the NBA and despite being only one game, its one more than any of the rookies have shown.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject:

if the Lakers trade DLo it's because they don't believe in him - there are reasons that may or may not be the case.

That said, I don't think you can look at the progress and the numbers he made in his 2nd year and say he doesn't have tremendous potential as a guard in the NBA
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
if the Lakers trade DLo it's because they don't believe in him - there are reasons that may or may not be the case.

That said, I don't think you can look at the progress and the numbers he made in his 2nd year and say he doesn't have tremendous potential as a guard in the NBA

If they trade him, it might be because they don't want a logjam at the G spot.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
emplay wrote:

If they trade him, it might be because they don't want a logjam at the G spot.

Your two best guard prospects don't create any logjams. Logjams are created when you have a bit too many good backups to your best players, which we don't have to worry about anytime soon.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

If D'Lonzo work out, wouldn't he be an odd man out in LA? I'd love him as a third guard, but not at $20M+ per season.

I'd start Avery and move DLO into the 6th man role, maybe even trot out a 3-guard lineup once in a while.
Rigged4fun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

DLo hasn't got the maturity nor the drive to be a better player. He gets by with what he has and I believe he's hit his ceiling. I would suggest that the Lakers offer a package of DLo and Randle for George, and take Josh Jackson in the draft giving them more of an Warrior type offense. I still think Clarkson can handle the PG for now and be in the running for LeBron if he opts to come to LA. Now that Magic has brought back LA as a place to play, I think there might be a proven free agent PG interested. Are you listening...CP3?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

I think he either works with Lonzo, in which case he's probably worth $20 million and you pay him. Or he doesn't and you trade him next summer before his rookie deal is up.

I'm optimistic about their fit. On paper they seem very complimentary. Ideally you have Ball and D'lo, Ingram, Randle, Nance and Zubac and can add Paul George and another max contract next summer before those young guys come off their rookie deals. That's the point at which the the Lakers deep pockets come in to play. You start going over the cap and signing your young guys and if you end up with a payroll north of $150 million so be it as long as we are competing for championships.
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

No! Simmons or no DLo!

If you're looking to give up your best player (currently), aim high, I say.

I just don't get it. You have a guard that's been here for two years and has progressed nicely - did anyone else notice he made at least one "Magic-like pass every game over the past two months of the season? I think he will be an all-star in 3-4 years, but that just doesn't seem good enough for many of you "laker" fans. I am getting sick of you guys wanting to compare him to Magic (he was way beyond his years at 19!) and Kobe (who wasn't!). Hes not Magic, and hes no Kobe. But he figures to be a really good player in a few years. Even Kobe stunk it up for his first couple of years. This league takes time, and PG is the hardest position by far to learn. And he wasn't playing that position originally either.

As for his "maturity" level and leadership, sans Magic there just aren't any 20 year old leaders in the NBA. And for those of you that don't remember, Kobe in his early 20's was ready to lead - Slava Medvedenko was right behind him - bit no one else according to PJ. And lets not do the same to Ball - he likely wont be a leader either until he plays for a few years.

Ease up on Russell - we don't need to trade for an unknown, we need to stay the course and give it 2-3 more years and we will see what we have. Besides, barring injuries no one is beating GS for at least 3 more years.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:

Actually, it should make DLO more valuable.

What the Lakers lack is shooting.

DLO best shooter
Clarkson - gunner not team player
Ingram - not yet a shooter
Randle - doubt it
So DLO is the best shooter. Ball will come in and be second best.

The development of Ingram and Randle as shooters is key to development. Randle is unlikely to be more. Ingram is a possibility
and is a requirement for Lakers success.

To as Josh Jackson to this mix is not smart.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

I will make this as short as possible. I'm tired of hearing about Ball, his father, the media, rumors & Laker fans thinking Ball is gonna be a Laker.

Magic & Luke know bout basketball & where the NBA is headed & who the competition is gonna be for next 10 years, so the Lakers ARE GOING TO DRAFT JOSH JACKSON!!! STOP THE NON SENSE TALK, it makes complete sense for us to draft a multi talented player who can play & defend so many positions more than the one dimensional Ball who is strictly a PG & nothing else!!!

We have to match up with Curry, Klay, KD & Green & DLO will be the PG/SG just like Curry is for Warriors, Ingram can play SG/SF, Clarkson can play PG/SG & let DLO be the SG, Jackson can be our version of Green once he adds some muscle & Randle can play the center spot with Zubac.

Once Josh gets his first season under belt a.k.a. Ingram, they both will be on the floor majority of time when it counts. We need another defender & Josh brings everything to the court unlike Ball who is so one dimensional. Just take into consideration how NBADRAFT.NET describes the two, Ball is described as a Jason Kidd type while Jackson is described as a Kwahi Leonard/Jimmy Butler type. com'on if you know the game of basketball it's no brainer.

PS: The Lakers are copying the Warriors blue print & two years ago I wanted DLO over Okafor & last year wanted Ingram & I believe they want Jackson & only Ball's dad wants the Lakers... Also, even if Magic doesn't think DLO can lead this team & improve they still take the more versatile & athletic player in Jackson & play another year with the kids & then PG13 can be signed & give us 3 players who can play the game & compete for a Chip. No dumb talk trading DLO for PG13 when we can get him for free one year from now & if DLO doesn't step up Magic will know & trade him for another PG, but by no means do we need Ball for anything cause Luke has this team sharing the ball now that Kobe is gone!

I wish I could post this reply in every thread that this sorta topic is already overly posted & related to this subject, like we don't have enough threads on this already!

Peace out & enjoy our second 1st rd pick, cause that is the question mark?
HC: Riley
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: