The Rise and Fall of the High-Top Sneaker

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: The Rise and Fall of the High-Top Sneaker

For your daily reading pleasure. Some good Kobe stuff in here.

http://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashion/a55587/high-top-sneakers-basketball/
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

I see more players these days playing in what used to be referred to as mid-tops.

I remember Kareem was one of those trying to debunk the high-top stability notion back when he played in low tops.

Quote:
In his 1990 autobiography "Kareem," Abdul-Jabbar attributed his long, mostly healthy career to wearing low-tops, rather than the more popular high-tops.

"I seemed to know instinctively," he wrote in his book. "That the skeletal system is built to absorb shock and if you bind and immobilize the ankle, the stress just transfers up to the next available join, which is the knee, the great nemesis of the basketball player. I was Galileo out there on this, alone in my approach for a long time."

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Kiki V wore shoes so low, they looked like running shoes. I don't recall him being an injury case for most of his career. It can and has been done. I had a bad sprain and bruise around my inner ankle in high tops. I don't remember the trade name of this particular model, but they were 2000/01 Nikes that a lot of players were donning, Mutombo was a notable one. Most comfortable and cushioned Nikes I've ever had and still didn't protect me from landing on someone's foot.

http://tinyurl.com/y9a5sh6k

Glen Rice used to wear those metal support braces around his ankles to minimize tweaks. If that actually had a noticeable effect, he wouldn't have been the only player to use them.

http://theballerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/glen-rice-nba.jpg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject:

Suddenly I have an urge to buy some athletic shoes. How bizarre
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

i've sprained my ankle so many times with high tops, and even a couple times with ankle braces. The problem is that the amount of movement needed to cause a sprain is so little...you can't really have a functional shoe that limits that little amount of movement, and still be able to play well.

i also want to say it might have something to do with size (weight) and agility. players who are very agile, should have fewer problems with the low top. A fat player will have more risk as the COG shifts around, and someone who is not as agile or flexible will also have more problems if they don't know how to use their feet properly. fisher had feet problems early in his career, and he is a stiff/muscular player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: