any home improvement people in here

View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: any home improvement people in here

have a quick sanity check on the price for damage repair of a ghetto out of state condo rental I own

due to massive water damage nearly all of the bottom half of a tiny kitchen needs to be gutted to the frame, even some 2x4 frames will need replacing. few things will be salvaged such as some cabinets sink, dish washer. Using cheapest available cabinets and countertops to replace.
Out the door cost for everything is 3500. Is this in the ball park of reasonability?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: any home improvement people in here

audioaxes wrote:
have a quick sanity check on the price for damage repair of a ghetto out of state condo rental I own

due to massive water damage nearly all of the bottom half of a tiny kitchen needs to be gutted to the frame, even some 2x4 frames will need replacing. few things will be salvaged such as some cabinets sink, dish washer. Using cheapest available cabinets and countertops to replace.
Out the door cost for everything is 3500. Is this in the ball park of reasonability?
What's the lineal feet of cabinets and counterop needed? Is there drywall that needs to be replaced because of the water damage?

If it really is a "small kitchen" I've done renovations replacing cabinets, including minimal uppers and counter tops for $2300 cdn.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Is a demolition part of the estimate? When my sister got an estimate from her contractor, I want to say the demo portion was 15K (granted this was a huge undertaking, literally 75% of house was being done with walls being taken down etc). She looked around and found a company that did solely demoilitions and had it done fro 1/3 of the cost.

Not sure if this applies to your case but if so, I'd call around...you might knock off a few hundred at least.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject:

yes demo is included in this price and is a pretty pricey chunk
yes this is beyond dry wall. All the way to the framing of the kitchen and through to the outside of the condo.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

How heavy duty is the demo? I did the demo + disposal for a few rooms in my properties myself and saved about $10k. It was my first time doing anything like that. Easy to do if your body can take it.

What is the sqft of the damaged area to be demolished?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

If the total bill is 4.3K , I can't imagine the demo is "that" extensive. I'm sure you can save some money shopping for a demo only crew or like Monty did, do it yourself (that's a boss move btw dude).
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
If the total bill is 4.3K , I can't imagine the demo is "that" extensive. I'm sure you can save some money shopping for a demo only crew or like Monty did, do it yourself (that's a boss move btw dude).

LOL have you ever done it? It's actually pretty fun. I definitely was not as efficient as I could've been due to black and brown widow infestations under the house. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu that.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:

I just had my kitchen remodeled. The initial quote was 11k of which 4500 was for the cabinets, countertops and install.

I did all the demo myself then slapped down some sick tile floors and hung new drywall, paint, etc. The tile/tools/drywall and dumpster set me back about 1000. It's not just "demo" that costs, you also want to think about finish work, that's where a lot of the costs are also.

In the end I saved half the cost by doing the demo, finishing and floors myself. And, had a great time doing it.

I'd say do the same, do all the demo yourself. Also, when doing the demo, take pictures of the dishwasher, sink etc and save all the parts. That way you won't have to call a plumber to reconnect everything. Pro tip: don't remove the garbage disposal from the sink if you plan on keeping the old sink. It's a pain in the ass to put back on. Just disconnect the hoses and pop the sink out with the disposal attached

Last edited by lakerjoshua on Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

id say kitchen size is roughly 64sqft. Its a "delicate" demo as they are trying to save what can be saved.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
id say kitchen size is roughly 64sqft. Its a "delicate" demo as they are trying to save what can be saved.

Yeah that's tiny. Mine is also fairly small, about 120 sq ft. I also went with high end cabinets and countertops which added a lot to the cost.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

Hmm. Dunno what to tell you about the fairness of your quote without seeing what you're up against. I would get 2nd & 3rd opinions for a separate demo crew. Good luck!
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Hmm. Dunno what to tell you about the fairness of your quote without seeing what you're up against. I would get 2nd & 3rd opinions for a separate demo crew. Good luck!

For 3500$, if they are doing everything including stud replacement and fixing any possible sub floor damage, counters, tops, floors, drywall, paint, etc. It's a fair price imo.

Edit: if they are also going to repair/replace electrical outlets and reconnect all the plumbing, it's a good deal.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject:

now that I think about it may have been cheaper to do a cheap/fast demo and just get low end replacements for everything than trying to salvage stuff. I know around here you can hire a $200/day handyman who I'm sure would gladly wack at a kitchen with a sledge hammer
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
now that I think about it may have been cheaper to do a cheap/fast demo and just get low end replacements for everything than trying to salvage stuff. I know around here you can hire a $200/day handyman who I'm sure would gladly wack at a kitchen with a sledge hammer

There's a story. I'm not sure where I heard it, maybe here.

There was a steamship stuck in Port because of engine failure. The Captain called the only engine repair man he could find to show up quickly.

The repairman walked around the dead engine, tapped here and there, twisted a few knobs as he made his inspection. He then pulled out his hammer, tapped a few times and told the Captain, "Start your engine it's good to go". The captain started the engine and to his surprise it started right up and he was shortly under way. Thankful to the man who came to his aid.

A few weeks later the captain gets a bill from the repairman. 10,000. He is furious, picks up the phone, calls him and says, " 10,000 for tapping a hammer! You're a thief! Why are you charging so much? All you did was tap a hammer!"

The repairman replies, "I'm charging you 100 for showing up. And 9,900 for knowing where to tap the hammer".
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

And if you break down the math, 200$ per unskilled labor times two guys and 3 days. Add in all materials purchased at Home Depot, another 600-1000 (because cheap labor don't supply materials). Then toss in unexpected damage ( what if you're labor cuts a water pipe behind the drywall?). Now add in your time, as you'll be the General Contractor on site. (Only you don't know what needs to be done)...

Adds up to a bunch of dudes standing around getting paid for not doing anything. Then a 3500$ bill to get it done the right way, (god forbid a city inspector shows up, shuts you down and gives you a huge fine), and another week of work. Once you're 2000 into the project and realize unskilled labor and lack of knowledge has you stuck in Port.

Cheap labor to gut it, yes. Cheap labor to fix it, no.

/EndRant
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: