Bill Cosby accused of rape
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Looks like the jury may hang, but it's not over yet. I haven't followed the trial closely, but I'm not surprised. There are some credibility issues for the accuser.

I haven't followed any of it but I thought there were tons of accusers?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:

You wait years until you file charges, the evidence is all gone by that point. Ends up being he said she said, not enough to convict somebody.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject:

It should deadlock. Actually, it shouldn't have even come to this, and I think Bill Cosby's a deviant. But when you let so much time pass, how do you CRIMINALLY convict someone of something like this? And the accuser in this case took money to go away the first time around. How do you get to circle back when you took the money??
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

How would you feel if you were the judge, and the jury asked "What is reasonable doubt?"

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/16/us/bill-cosby-verdict-watch/index.html
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject:

https://i.redd.it/0askrzx6414z.jpg
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject:

Due to Mistrial, Cosby walks

Have to admit I'm a bit surprised by this.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject:

He is obviously guilty of some serious sexual misconduct, but when this much time has passed it makes it tough.

Also, the fact that the Ms. Constandt stayed in touch with him after the alleged event is weird to me, if you were raped would you stay in touch with your rapist?

Either way, Cosby is ruined professionally. Even though he deserves jail time, the reality is he is old and finished anyway.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject:

Basically at this point we are just counting down to his inevitable demise.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Due to Mistrial, Cosby walks

Have to admit I'm a bit surprised by this.

He hasn't walked yet. He's going to be retried. I don't see a retrial being any different.

Bill's most likely guilty of some of the accusations. He's been, is being punished. I think he's lost the respect of some of his family and I'm sure a great deal of the public's.

Bills family has been through enough. Even if there's no retrial they have to live with the shame.

Cosby's 79. He may not last through another trial.

What sticks to my craw, Gloria Allred is making a fortune.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

It will be interesting to find out what the split was.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/2238119/85196425.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
He is obviously guilty of some serious sexual misconduct, but when this much time has passed it makes it tough.

Also, the fact that the Ms. Constandt stayed in touch with him after the alleged event is weird to me, if you were assaulted would you stay in touch with your rapist?

Either way, Cosby is ruined professionally. Even though he deserves jail time, the reality is he is old and finished anyway.

That happens far more often than people would think, especially in cases of date rape or rape due to mind altered states from drugs or alcohol. Life isn't always fair, and circumstances can force people into situations they'd prefer to avoid, no matter how emotionally devastating (or not, people process a situation like that differently) it may be for them. People can also very good at compartmentalizing or rationalizing away trauma so they can deal with life.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

Cosby's convicted in the press anyways, it doesn't really matter what the outcome is anymore. The evidence disappeared because nobody reported it in a timely manner if it did happen. His reputation is sullied, his works aren't even shown on TV anymore.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Why is there air?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Looks like the jury may hang, but it's not over yet. I haven't followed the trial closely, but I'm not surprised. There are some credibility issues for the accuser.

I haven't followed any of it but I thought there were tons of accusers?

yeah their were. but the stories are all suspect. thats the problem. It's not that we can't believe a powerful man wouldnt try to pull something like this off. I bet 100's of powerful execs, actors, men in general have been doing this since...since.

But the stories are very shaky.
for instance:
Quote:
7. Louisa Moritz
Year Of Alleged Incident: 1971

Actress Louisa Moritz, best known for her work in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, claims that Cosby forced her to perform oral sex on him in the dressing room of Johnny Carson's Tonight Show in 1971.

Moritz made these claims to TMZ on November 20, 2014, alleging that Cosby told her, "You don't want to upset me and the plans for your future, do you?"

Now, what part of that quote makes you believe he "FORCED" Her to do what she said he Forced her to do? Sounds to me like he was hollywood scum, trying to pull a "casting couch" move on the lady. So did he actually physically force you? or did he more or less tell you that your chances of becoming a hollywood star are over if you dont do what he told you/asked you to do? There's a huge difference there in a court of law. It's not like cosby was her actual employer.

Scum? Yes
Rapist? uhhh hung jury at best

Quote:
15. Therese Serignese
Year of Alleged Incident: Mid-1970s

Speaking with People Magazine on Nov. 20, 2014, Seringese alleges that she met with Cosby in Las Vegas after one of his stand-up shows, when she was 19 years old. She claims that Cosby pressured her into taking Quaaludes -- a powerful sedative-hypnotic drug --and then pressured her into agreeing to engage in sexual activity...

we're talking about putting someone behind bars now. Pressured when dealing with an adult (19 is of age..young. but still of age in every state).

I dont think this will get anyone thrown behind bars in a court of law for them pressuring them to take drugs then pressuring them to have sex.

pressure does not equal sexual assault/rape..at least I dont think it means that in a court of law.

so once again...Scum bag? yes
rapist? Not so much.

there's a lot of these stories that sound like this. where if you think about it at all. You wont be so quick to throw the book at the guy even if you agree he's a scumbag.

Then you have some of the other ladies going back after the supposed incidents took place. not once. not twice for some, but went back multiple times. had phone conversations with the man. met up with him on different occasions,etc, etc.

and last but not least. if you're from that eras of the 60's, 70's,80's. you already know what those eras were about especially for the entertainment and party scene's

http://www.oregonlive.com/carlin/index.ssf/2010/09/drugs_sex_and_bad_behavior_the_rationalizations_of_the_decade.html

Quote:
Talk to anyone who has maybe done some questionable things, particularly in the rock 'n ' roll/showbiz realm of drugs, sex and financial and/or authority-motivated selfishness and you start to hear the same stories. So you push a little on the "How could you have even DONE that" line, and what you get back seems to come from a script. And is invariably accompanied by a smile and a shrug:

"Well, it was the '60s, and. . . "

Or maybe. . .

"You see, it was the '70s, and. . . "

Unless it's

"It was the '80s, and. . ."

Those ellipses, by the way, are part of the original sentence, which doesn't really have an ending. You're supposed to imagine what comes next. If only you had that kind of (dark) imagination. Which I do, really, it's not a problem for me. But that's neither here nor there.

Also, make no mistake: the '60s/'70s/'80s justification have very distinct meanings.

'60s: most often involves marijuana, psychedelic drugs, long drum solos, radical politics, a disinterest in bathing, improv sexual hijinks, moving to San Francisco.

'70s: Begins with marijuana and psychedelics, then moves into heroin and (most often) mountains and mountains of cocaine. Also organized sexual promiscuity, bushy hair of all sorts and origins, radically unbuttoned shirts, uncontrolled narcissism and financial greed, only in the name of some quasi-groovy higher purpose.

'80s: Even larger mountains of cocaine; yellow ties, pink shirts, suspenders, slicked-back hair (on men) vast eruptions of sculpted hair (on women), financial greed in the name of glorious financial greed, more cocaine, layers of booming synth percussion, liking Huey Lewis.

you throw all the above in together. then toss in the fact that all of these ladies took years, some decades(multiple) to say something. can you actually in good conscious convict someone on that level of shaky evidence? Not really. now you may convict just because you're mad at him. but thats not a legal reason to do so. Is their actual reasonable doubt?

http://cumberlink.com/news/local/state-and-regional/on-day-cosby-jury-asks-for-definition-of-reasonable-doubt/article_0809fbdc-b9a9-53d0-b303-e338c3336f98.html

On Day 5, Cosby jury asks for definition of reasonable doubt
Quote:
Beyond a Reasonable Doubt
The standard that must be met by the prosecution's evidence in a criminal prosecution: that no other logical explanation can be derived from the facts except that the defendant committed the crime, thereby overcoming the presumption that a person is innocent until proven guilty.

If the jurors or judge have no doubt as to the defendant's guilt, or if their only doubts are unreasonable doubts, then the prosecutor has proven the defendant's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt and the defendant should be pronounced guilty.

^^and thats the problem with trying to convict cosby under these circumstances.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Cosby's convicted in the press anyways, it doesn't really matter what the outcome is anymore. The evidence disappeared because nobody reported it in a timely manner if it did happen. His reputation is sullied, his works aren't even shown on TV anymore.
pretty much.
the damage is done. the world knows at best he was a dirty birdy mess around on his wife and sleeping around like crazy. thats at best. at worse he was slippin people pills and raping them. thats a horrible way to live the rest of your days when you were "americas dad" just 2 years prior.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
It should deadlock. Actually, it shouldn't have even come to this, and I think Bill Cosby's a deviant. But when you let so much time pass, how do you CRIMINALLY convict someone of something like this? And the accuser in this case took money to go away the first time around. How do you get to circle back when you took the money??
this is the party that other people should be worried about. how is that possible. imagine the kb situation popping back up in 2040 when kobe is an old man. knowing she took the money.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
https://i.redd.it/0askrzx6414z.jpg

Ice Cube has a star on the Hollywood Walk of fame, makes family movies and recently did the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary Lakers vs Celtics. He's gone pretty far in Hollywood.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject:

10-2 to convict on two counts, 11-1 to acquit on the third. That justifies a retrial in my opinion. (Yes, I know the prosecutors said that they were going to retry the case. They almost always say that immediately after a jury hangs.)
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Bad news for the defense is the mistrial. If he got a not guilty verdict, it would be harder to prosecute on his other cases. But now the prosecution knows what mistakes to avoid so they have a better chance to get a guilty verdict. Think of the mistrial as a trial run.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
How would you feel if you were the judge, and the jury asked "What is reasonable doubt?"

thats the judges job to explain this to people. most non law educated people do not understand what that means. and as we watch a lot of TV shows on law that dont always get it right. we assume things that are untrue about Reasonable doubt.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Bad news for the defense is the mistrial. If he got a not guilty verdict, it would be harder to prosecute on his other cases. But now the prosecution knows what mistakes to avoid so they have a better chance to get a guilty verdict. Think of the mistrial as a trial run.
but this goes both ways. i know you heard how the defense only had a small amt of time to present stuff, especially witnesses. one of them was denied i believe.

So both sides have time to switch things up a bit and have more of their side heard the next time around.

here's the truth.

there is no evidence that can come up that will change the reasonable doubt in this case. The best you can do from the DA's side is hope you get a nice pool of jurors that are walking into the courthouse ready to convict cosby from the media reports they've heard. if thats not the case, it wont turn from "i didnt think he was guilty" to "now i know he was guilty, or i can say he most likely was guilty of rape."

nothing they bring will change these peoples minds. because they dont have anything NEW/EXTRA. its a he say, she say case. and the she say is years year and years later. with some questionable stuff going on between the two of them(going back for hanging out with cosby, talking to him over the phone, etc.)

not saying that he didnt do it. i'm saying in a court of law. there is no legal reason to convict this dirty birdy. sorry. thats the way the law is written.

doesnt mean he can't get convicted because we've seen people go to jail for 20 years wrongfully charged and a jury convicts on even less detailed information. so its possible. but if he does get convicted it wont be because those people were convinced by the prosecution. they walked in already thinking it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

thats the judges job to explain this to people. most non law educated people do not understand what that means. and as we watch a lot of TV shows on law that dont always get it right. we assume things that are untrue about Reasonable doubt.

Sure. I should have explained my comment better. In a criminal trial, the judge typically spends a bunch of time on "reasonable doubt" during jury selection. Then the lawyers talk about it. Then the judge gives an instruction at the end of the trial. Then the lawyers argue about it some more.

In this case, after several days of deliberating, the jury comes back and asks this question. If I was the judge, I'd be banging my head on the bench.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Sure. I should have explained my comment better. In a criminal trial, the judge typically spends a bunch of time on "reasonable doubt" during jury selection. Then the lawyers talk about it. Then the judge gives an instruction at the end of the trial. Then the lawyers argue about it some more.

In this case, after several days of deliberating, the jury comes back and asks this question. If I was the judge, I'd be banging my head on the bench.
i see what you're saying. what was alarming was some of he other words they asked for clarification on. and they were not "law" words. I guess thats what happens when you try really hard to find people outside of the city deep deep in the backwoods of PA. just sayin...

I've been on a murder trial case and the jurors i was with asked the same question. you know why? because we all thought "these guys might be guilty...but what does the evidence say in regards to REASONABLE...doubt.?

That is the main thing in these trials if you ask me. THis is also why a lot people go to jail where there was not enough evidence to put the person in jail based on "REASONABLE" doubt. People really dont understand what that means. ESpecially when they believe someone is semi guilty.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject:

Cosby Show is still on Amazon prime. i was watching some episodes today. still pretty funny. last time i watched it, i was a kid.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12
Jump to: