View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
dcastillo wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
A couple years ago my friend felt the media was trying to start a race war...

Keep treating black people differently on stops and sooner or later the boiler is gonna blow..

It's quietly spreading to the Latin community as well

If there was some legitimate vehicle of accountability, it wouldn't be coming to this. But as it stands, law enforcement has built a near impenetrable blanket of immunity from prosecution across this country. Well that has a price. And we're seeing it right now. No matter how much deference the court system shows cops, at the end of the day, they still gotta be on those streets, policing people who KNOW you can do anything you want without consequence. THAT is why the boiler is blowing out.

This.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject:

I still fail to understand why one of the greatest countries in the world this stuff happens, under the rule of law. It more resembles Rwanda, or Venezuela, or Mexico's drug cities.

I see praise for Switzerland because they carry arms and there is no shooting. Safe to say I could name 1000 things positive about that country and none related to gun possession.

I cannot see how it can even be debatable if this is murder or not. A 4 year old was in the back seat when this cop was shooting an unarmed man, after stopping the car in some routine check. This is worse than check-points in war zones. People seem to consider it an acceptable argument to have the guy shot, if he sold crack in the past, or had a gun somewhere. As if he became a cockroach or something, and therefore lost not only his citizenship, but also his human rights. And outside the scope of God.

I just hope the Americans find out by themselves why having guns is freedom and shooting blacks is just a nuisance.

It is really up to you guys, your country, your people.

Otherwise, there is the option to create more security, hand more arms to everyone, restore death penalty to all states, and ignore the opinions of others like the "pinkos" here in Europe.

God bless America, sincerely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
I still fail to understand why one of the greatest countries in the world this stuff happens, under the rule of law. It more resembles Rwanda, or Venezuela, or Mexico's drug cities.

I see praise for Switzerland because they carry arms and there is no shooting. Safe to say I could name 1000 things positive about that country and none related to gun possession.

I cannot see how it can even be debatable if this is murder or not. A 4 year old was in the back seat when this cop was shooting an unarmed man, after stopping the car in some routine check. This is worse than check-points in war zones. People seem to consider it an acceptable argument to have the guy shot, if he sold crack in the past, or had a gun somewhere. As if he became a cockroach or something, and therefore lost not only his citizenship, but also his human rights. And outside the scope of God.

I just hope the Americans find out by themselves why having guns is freedom and shooting blacks is just a nuisance.

Otherwise, there is the option to create more security, hand more arms to everyone, restore death penalty to all states, and ignore the opinions of others like the "pinkos" here in Europe.

I don't want to be a pessimist but our country has a thousand layers of red tape and bureaucracy to weed through. Changing a light bulb in a public building would take 5 different departments to green light before it gets done. Obviously, I'm being hyperbolic, but change of this magnitude would take something radical and I'm not holding my breath to see it happen in my time. We'll instead throw some more useless laws on the books that don't get enforced by a politician that wants to pay lip service to making a difference. It's how we do things.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
We need something akin to a special prosecutor's office, perhaps on a city or county-wide basis. We can't rely on DA's, as they in turn heavily rely on the police to help them investigate and prosecute.

We have a special prosecutor's office in place. I don't know how cases are assigned. I believe it's up to the DA to ask for the office to investigate a incident.

Ferguson was a case that surely needed the special prosecutors office to investigate and prosecute.

I'm of a mind all police shootings resulting in a death should be handled by a special prosecutor.

As I'm writing this CNN is reporting the officer who pulled Castile, over said he did so because he fit the description of a wanted robbery suspect. If they get away with the oldest excuse in stop because of history all hell's gonna break loose.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
When Philando Castile saw the flashing lights in his rearview mirror the night he got shot, it wasn’t unusual. He had been pulled over at least 52 times in recent years in and around the Twin Cities and given citations for minor offenses including speeding, driving without a muffler and not wearing a seat belt.

He was assessed at least $6,588 in fines and fees, although more than half of the total 86 violations were dismissed, court records show.

Was Castile an especially bad driver or just unlucky? Or was he targeted by officers who single out black motorists like him for such stops, as several of his family members have alleged?

Court records dating to 2002 show Castile, a 32-year-old school cafeteria supervisor, averaged more than three traffic stops per year and received citations for misdemeanors or petty misdemeanors.

Many charges were dismissed, but Castile pleaded guilty to some, mostly for driving after his license was revoked and driving with no proof of insurance. However, those two charges also were the most frequently dismissed, along with failing to wear a seat belt.

The records show no convictions for more serious crimes.

In 2001, the Legislature asked for a racial profiling study and it fell to Kearney, then at the Institute on Race & Poverty at the University of Minnesota Law School, to conduct it. His study, using information supplied voluntarily by 65 law enforcement jurisdictions in the state, found a strong likelihood that racial and ethnic bias played a role in traffic stop policies and practices. Overall, officers stopped minority drivers at greater rates than whites and searched them at greater rates, but found contraband in those searches at lower rates than whites.

The analysis found the pattern was more pronounced in suburban areas. In Fridley, New Hope, Plymouth, Sauk Rapids and Savage combined, blacks were stopped about 310 percent more often than expected.

Profiled to Death
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Back in grad school, there was a guy who was very generous loaning out his Mercedes Benz. Several of us took him up on his standing offer from time to time, but only one of us had a problem. He was a black grad student who couldn't drive around for longer that 20-30 minutes without being pulled over and harassed by the cops.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Before the fateful traffic stop that cost Minnesota man Philando Castile his life earlier this month, newly released records provide a haunting detail: He and the cop who fatally shot him had crossed paths before.

St. Anthony police Officer Jeronimo Yanez was listed as one of the officers who booked Castile into jail on Nov. 23, 2011, after he was pulled over for a broken brake light and was discovered to be driving on a revoked license.

Victim had been Arrested by the Same Cop that Shot Him before after being pulled over for a busted taillight
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
Before the fateful traffic stop that cost Minnesota man Philando Castile his life earlier this month, newly released records provide a haunting detail: He and the cop who fatally shot him had crossed paths before.

St. Anthony police Officer Jeronimo Yanez was listed as one of the officers who booked Castile into jail on Nov. 23, 2011, after he was pulled over for a broken brake light and was discovered to be driving on a revoked license.

Victim had been Arrested by the Same Cop that Shot Him before after being pulled over for a busted taillight

Its almost like they dehumanize the people the cops shoot

Lets see he was newly engaged
Employed by the school district for the last 14 years
1. He Was a Beloved School Cafeteria Worker Who Snuck Extra Graham Crackers to Children
http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/philando-castile-falcon-heights-minnesota-police-shooting-facebook-live-video-watch-uncensored-you-tube-police-shooting-man-shot-lavish-reynolds/

https://twitter.com/WendyRMonkey/status/750925396137291776/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
His yearbook photo. #PhilandoCastile isn't just a hashtag. He worked with kids. His life had value. He was murdered.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

1. He Was a Beloved School Cafeteria Worker Who Snuck Extra Graham Crackers to Children
http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/philando-castile-falcon-heights-minnesota-police-shooting-facebook-live-video-watch-uncensored-you-tube-police-shooting-man-shot-lavish-reynolds/

https://twitter.com/WendyRMonkey/status/750925396137291776/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
His yearbook photo. #PhilandoCastile isn't just a hashtag. He worked with kids. His life had value. He was murdered.

Mr Castille is a textbook victim of what criminologists call "Net Widening" - the move by local authorities to criminalize more and more aspects of regular life. It's a incideous policy that traps primarily poor people in an endless debt cycle that few can ever escape from. This article does an excellent job of walking through how Mr. Castille got caught in the net. Far too many municipal governments see citizens as profit centers and stray from their mission of serving the public good. In many ways, municipalities are a greater threat to the average Joe than are hardened criminals.

Net Widening
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
- In a highly-anticipated decision that he knows is sure to be heavily scrutinized on a national level, Ramsey County Attorney John Choi announced that a St. Anthony police officer will be criminally charged in the fatal shooting of Philando Castile.

On Wednesday Choi's office charged St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez with second-degree manslaughter, and multiple counts of dangerous discharge of a firearm. He said that under Minnesota law, as written, the deadly use of force in Castile's death was not justified.

"I have given Officer Yanez every benefit of the doubt on his use of deadly force, but I cannot allow the death of a motorist who was lawfully carrying a firearm under these facts and circumstances to go unaccounted for," Choi told reporters.

He said second-degree manslaughter, which involves "gross negligence and an element of recklessness," is the most appropriate and provable charge in these circumstances. The charges of dangerous discharge of a firearm involve Yanez's decision to fire multiple shots into a vehicle that also carried Castile's girlfriend and her 4-year-old daughter.

Officer Charged
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Now if only they can get a jury to see past race and the shield and actually decide by the facts.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

Mr Castille is a textbook victim of what criminologists call "Net Widening" - the move by local authorities to criminalize more and more aspects of regular life. It's a incideous policy that traps primarily poor people in an endless debt cycle that few can ever escape from. This article does an excellent job of walking through how Mr. Castille got caught in the net. Far too many municipal governments see citizens as profit centers and stray from their mission of serving the public good. In many ways, municipalities are a greater threat to the average Joe than are hardened criminals.

Net Widening

You fail to take this to its origins. Why are cities seeking new profit centers? It is driven by the demands from citizens and sometimes state and federal mandates for more and more services. They want to do this without raising taxes.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
- In a highly-anticipated decision that he knows is sure to be heavily scrutinized on a national level, Ramsey County Attorney John Choi announced that a St. Anthony police officer will be criminally charged in the fatal shooting of Philando Castile.

On Wednesday Choi's office charged St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez with second-degree manslaughter, and multiple counts of dangerous discharge of a firearm. He said that under Minnesota law, as written, the deadly use of force in Castile's death was not justified.

"I have given Officer Yanez every benefit of the doubt on his use of deadly force, but I cannot allow the death of a motorist who was lawfully carrying a firearm under these facts and circumstances to go unaccounted for," Choi told reporters.

He said second-degree manslaughter, which involves "gross negligence and an element of recklessness," is the most appropriate and provable charge in these circumstances. The charges of dangerous discharge of a firearm involve Yanez's decision to fire multiple shots into a vehicle that also carried Castile's girlfriend and her 4-year-old daughter.

Officer Charged

That's a BS excuse for grossly undercharging Yanez.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Now if only they can get a jury to see past race and the shield and actually decide by the facts.

Never going to happen. By downplaying the charges against Yanez, they have given a jury the perfect excuse to say it say it was an accident. The Prosecutor needed to say in no uncertain terms that Yanez intended to needlessly kill Castile, because that's exactly what happened.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

and like i said in the other thread, if he gets jail time, he'll be out in 1-2 years.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, a BS manslaughter charge is probably the best chance of getting any kind of conviction. They charge that cop with murder, it's an automatic acquittal. Juries won't convict cops of murder.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Unfortunately, a BS manslaughter charge is probably the best chance of getting any kind of conviction. They charge that cop with murder, it's an automatic acquittal. Juries won't convict cops of murder.

Acquitted.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/philando-castile-case-verdict-jeronimo-yanez/

Quote:
ST. PAUL, Minn. - A jury on Friday found a Minnesota police officer not guilty of manslaughter in the death of a black motorist.

Defense attorneys contended the 29-year-old Latino officer was scared for his life and was justified in shooting 32-year-old Philando Castile. Jeronimo Yanez shot Castile five times last July during a traffic stop in a St. Paul suburb, just seconds after Castile informed him he was carrying a gun.

Prosecutors insisted Yanez never saw a gun and had plenty of options short of shooting Castile, an elementary school cafeteria worker they say was never a threat.

When there's nothing left to say, you just drink your dinner. I'll be doing that tonight.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

Officer Charged

That's a BS excuse for grossly undercharging Yanez.

Overcharge George Zimmerman, you get an acquittal.

Undercharge Yanez, you get an acquittal.

It absolutely sickens me to my core that this officer got off for this.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

How do the police pull over the same guy three times a year for most of his life?

That is ridiculous unless he was the worst driver ever.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Why should an African-American or any Minority

EVER EVER EVER

Trust a police officer again

Name a reason

This man

Loved by his community
Honest with the law officers
Murdered "MURDERED" by a (bleep) coward with a badge

When will America treat all citizens the same regardless of skin color religion or sexuality et al...

Why does this mans profession allow him to murder a minority with no consequences?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Greatest nation.. save it..

I had a beautiful girlfriend who was a European Immigrant.. she told me Americans are terribly shallow..

I realize now even more how right she is

The Jurors.. need identified.. they are the disease of this nation

Badge NEVER trumps HUMANITY EVER MFers
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject:

100% innocent and murdered on live broadcast and our beautiful scumbag terrorist racist pig jurors find this murderer innocent///??? innocent?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

sry.. not the america I wish it was...
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:

To the bolded. aside from the size of the country, what else is different about switzerland? It's a homologous place. not so much in america. This is also why its a bit less red tape in trying to promote universal healthcare and things like it. it's a lot easier to tell everyone who looks like everyone "hey guys lets do this" vs semi melting pot where the majority is looking at the others like "I'm not about to pay for them...."

^^that is the reason why we have so many issues in america. some people will try to sugar coat it and tell you it isnt what it is. But thats exactly what it is. Nothing more, nothing less.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject:

dashcam video released

nsfw (video contains fatal shooting)

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/20/us/philando-castile-shooting-dashcam/index.html

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: