Magic Johnson - "We don't want anyone over 7-8% body fat anymore"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
MJST wrote:
And here's an article about the Heat and that regimen, the name of the article puts into perspective, why Magic (likely with some Riley advice) is pushing for it.

The Miami Heat are winning because they never get tired

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/14/14870016/miami-heat-analysis-tired-goran-dragic-dion-waiters

That entire article is long, but it leads into the benefits of the program and all that other stuff how it leads to basketball and helps.

So worth the read if you want some good coverage on it.

Appreciate this, MJST.

Ya, good stuff MJST.
For all those bringing up Magic and Shaq, let me tell you something. Those guys walked the walk. And BTW if Shaq had dedicated himself to better overall fitness he would be the far and away GOAT, not just a top 12 guy.

The last 4 years of my career in the military I oversaw Ranger training. If we had a 22 year old out of the academy who was "loose in the cage", he was either going to get whipped into the best shape of his life or he was going to drop out, simple as that.
A veteran operator who had proven himself, it really wasn't a major concern.

There is nothing wrong with expecting excellence and professionalism.
IMO opinion there is no excuse for a young guy like Randle to not be in top shape, or a guy like Deng who just signed a 72 mil contract to come into camp so obviously out of shape.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

Robster8989 wrote:
tox wrote:
MJST wrote:
And here's an article about the Heat and that regimen, the name of the article puts into perspective, why Magic (likely with some Riley advice) is pushing for it.

The Miami Heat are winning because they never get tired

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/14/14870016/miami-heat-analysis-tired-goran-dragic-dion-waiters

That entire article is long, but it leads into the benefits of the program and all that other stuff how it leads to basketball and helps.

So worth the read if you want some good coverage on it.

Appreciate this, MJST.

Ya, good stuff MJST.
For all those bringing up Magic and Shaq, let me tell you something. Those guys walked the walk. And BTW if Shaq had dedicated himself to better overall fitness he would be the far and away GOAT, not just a top 12 guy.

The last 4 years of my career in the military I oversaw Ranger training. If we had a 22 year old out of the academy who was "loose in the cage", he was either going to get whipped into the best shape of his life or he was going to drop out, simple as that.
A veteran operator who had proven himself, it really wasn't a major concern.

There is nothing wrong with expecting excellence and professionalism.
IMO opinion there is no excuse for a young guy like Randle to not be in top shape, or a guy like Deng who just signed a 72 mil contract to come into camp so obviously out of shape.

Thanks
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

We don't have an official Magic Johnson thread and every official thread I made ends up being a total fail so I'll just post this in this thread.

Summer of 1984:

Magic Johnson: "Pat Riley wrote me a letter that said... I want you to be in the best shape of your life and come back better next season...".

Pat Riley wrote Magic Johnson this later after our devastating loss to the Celtics in 1984. After this letter Magic Johnson spent the entire off season running early mornings and working on his game alone, which turned him into a player that beat the Celtics in the finals in 1985 and 1987.

Summer of 2017:

Magic Johnson: “We told every player that they must improve and we want them to be in the best physical shape of their lives. We don’t want anybody over seven, eight percent body fat anymore, and basically all but one or two players were in double-figures in body fat, we can’t have that. We told them that this is all about excellence now and so you’ve got to be disciplined, you’ve got to put the work in, those who come back in shape, they’re going to see the court. Those who don’t, won’t see the court. It’s simple as that. This is not about anything but excellence, so you’ve got to be a professional. This is your job.”

Magic Johnson is one of the greatest Lakers of all time and an NBA Legend. We're blessed to have this guy around our young core because he knows exactly what is needed to become a Lakers legend, he wants everyone to work as hard as he did and be as committed to Lakers excellence as he was. He's holding our young core to the same standard that the Lakers held him too back in the 1980s. This guy knows what it takes and he's going to make sure our young core knows what it takes as well.
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:

So Magic doesn't want anyone over 7-8% body fat anymore, eh?

Well, I guess that counts me out!
rst08tierney
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Here's the list

Body Fat % List from highest to lowest

LINK

This should've been from right after the Lou Will trade (since he's not on there but Calderon still is)

Body Composition Tracker: lbs, BF%

Zubac: 263.8, 18.4%
World Peace: 254.5, 14.9%
Deng: 228, 14.9%
Young: 214.4, 13.6%
Mosgov: 258.4, 13.4%
Black: 257.4, 13.1%
Russell: 197.9, 12.4%
Randle: 256.3, 12%
Clarkson: 196.1, 11.8%
Nance: 235.7, 10.7%
Ingram: 189.9, 9.2%
Calderon: 191.9, 8.9%
Robinson: 250, 5.3%

Total Workout Sessions (since start of season?)

Zubac: 460
Ingram: 434
Robinson: 385
Russell: 342
Mosgov: 319
Randle: 318
Black: 312
World Peace: 308
Nance: 307
Clarkson: 254
Young: 144
Deng: 116
Ennis: 22
Nwaba: 12
Brewer: 4

Zubac was our hardest worker but had the highest bodyfat mainly due to growing into his body which is to be expected.

Only 3 players were in the single digits of bodyfat last season.

Kid's it's understandable why their body fat would be high, veterans unless they're 'done' don't have any excuses.

Guys like Brewer should have no excuses for their body fat being that high. And I think what should factor into not just their diets but their workouts and how many sessions they are doing. Such as if you're in the top 3 of workout sessions, your body fat WILL drop as your body evolves. That's to be expected.

Unless these guys submerged them selfs in water to accurately measure body fat all theses numbers are off.

Do any of you actually have a CLUE on what 8% body fat looks like? Let alone 5%

http://i.imgur.com/Y37rIEX.png
mde24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

Bring back those 80's shorts for practices, guys will lose that body fat when those tight shorts start to cut off their circulation. Nance to Zub... "Do these shorts make my butt look big? I think they are cutting off the blood to my junk". #Run
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject:

anyone know if ball is at 7 % ?
DaGreatKobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:

rst08tierney wrote:
MJST wrote:
Here's the list

LINK

This should've been from right after the Lou Will trade (since he's not on there but Calderon still is)

Zubac was our hardest worker but had the highest bodyfat mainly due to growing into his body which is to be expected.

Kid's it's understandable why their body fat would be high, veterans unless they're 'done' don't have any excuses.

Guys like Brewer should have no excuses for their body fat being that high. And I think what should factor into not just their diets but their workouts and how many sessions they are doing. Such as if you're in the top 3 of workout sessions, your body fat WILL drop as your body evolves. That's to be expected.

Unless these guys submerged them selfs in water to accurately measure body fat all theses numbers are off.

Your chart isn't accurate 20-25% for a male is near danger zone for obese, and that show's them with a bit of abdominal fat layer. Above 10% is pretty unacceptable for so called world-class athletes. Magic is simply setting a S.M.A.R.T. goal for the entire team. Those who don't put in the work show that they don't have what the new front office is looking for in a player. Its pretty simple, I think most of you are mocking him for a simple statement.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject:

rst08tierney wrote:
MJST wrote:
Here's the list

LINK

I think we're going more for what Magic perceives as 7-8% body fat. Most people tend to underestimate body fat percentage by quite a significant margin. They have to or else they become fatter. If you have to bump what you thought was 8% to 12%, now you got to raise your own BF% from 18% to 22%. I don't want to think I'm 22%.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
rst08tierney wrote:
MJST wrote:
Here's the list

LINK

I think we're going more for what Magic perceives as 7-8% body fat. Most people tend to underestimate body fat percentage by quite a significant margin. They have to or else they become fatter. If you have to bump what you thought was 8% to 12%, now you got to raise your own BF% from 18% to 22%. I don't want to think I'm 22%.

You set the goal of 7 to 8% knowing youre happy with under 10 which professional athletes should be...add that to high level cardio and now the tempo goes up which most teams cant hang with for 48 min.

Fatigue makes cowards of us all...this was one of Vince Lombardi's greatest contributions to professional sports. A team in exellent shape but questional talent can now compete with a team with better talent but less conditioned for the activity. He made conditioning a talent.

#BannersOverBillboards
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

AuraStar wrote:
So Magic doesn't want anyone over 7-8% body fat anymore, eh?

Well, I guess that counts me out!

Not yet. You might be front office material!
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

We know now Magic is a man of his word

We are doomed
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject:

I'm confused. They all looked exactly the same body-wise as they did last year
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Randle & Zubac have noticeably less body fat than they did last year.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Nance looked pretty slim out there to me, and Zubac looked noticeably slimmer from SL. In addition to Julius, of course. And I didn't see him, but I can't imagine Deng is at <8% body fat.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject:

Alright fair enough, but why are they complaining about being tired and getting in shape in the postgame videos.

All summer long we were getting reports that they've been working more than anyone and were always in the gym and getting in the best shapes of their lives.

Except now they're saying they need to get in shape
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Alright fair enough, but why are they complaining about being tired and getting in shape in the postgame videos.

All summer long we were getting reports that they've been working more than anyone and were always in the gym and getting in the best shapes of their lives.

I found that hilarious and disappointing lol

"I'm in the best shape of my life"

Two weeks later

"They need to get in shape"

Are they training to be sprinters or strong men?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

Are they a little overworked right now? I remember after a Byron training camp a few years ago some of the players were gassed during the preseason.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

"game shape".
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject:

Two a day practices with tons of running drills in training camp leads to rubber legs, worst around Day 4 before the body adjusts.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Two a day practices with tons of running drills in training camp leads to rubber legs, worst around Day 4 before the body adjusts.

Looks like the wolves adjusted well.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

That's definitely fair.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Looks like the wolves adjusted well.
m

Most of their damage was standing still at the FT line.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17
Jump to: