Magic Johnson - "We don't want anyone over 7-8% body fat anymore"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Robster8989
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 30 Dec 2014
Posts: 454
Location: San Diego

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
MJST wrote:
And here's an article about the Heat and that regimen, the name of the article puts into perspective, why Magic (likely with some Riley advice) is pushing for it.

The Miami Heat are winning because they never get tired

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/14/14870016/miami-heat-analysis-tired-goran-dragic-dion-waiters

That entire article is long, but it leads into the benefits of the program and all that other stuff how it leads to basketball and helps.

So worth the read if you want some good coverage on it.


Appreciate this, MJST.


Ya, good stuff MJST.
For all those bringing up Magic and Shaq, let me tell you something. Those guys walked the walk. And BTW if Shaq had dedicated himself to better overall fitness he would be the far and away GOAT, not just a top 12 guy.

The last 4 years of my career in the military I oversaw Ranger training. If we had a 22 year old out of the academy who was "loose in the cage", he was either going to get whipped into the best shape of his life or he was going to drop out, simple as that.
A veteran operator who had proven himself, it really wasn't a major concern.

There is nothing wrong with expecting excellence and professionalism.
IMO opinion there is no excuse for a young guy like Randle to not be in top shape, or a guy like Deng who just signed a 72 mil contract to come into camp so obviously out of shape.
_________________
"Rangers lead the way!"

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 10044

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject:

Robster8989 wrote:
tox wrote:
MJST wrote:
And here's an article about the Heat and that regimen, the name of the article puts into perspective, why Magic (likely with some Riley advice) is pushing for it.

The Miami Heat are winning because they never get tired

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/14/14870016/miami-heat-analysis-tired-goran-dragic-dion-waiters

That entire article is long, but it leads into the benefits of the program and all that other stuff how it leads to basketball and helps.

So worth the read if you want some good coverage on it.


Appreciate this, MJST.


Ya, good stuff MJST.
For all those bringing up Magic and Shaq, let me tell you something. Those guys walked the walk. And BTW if Shaq had dedicated himself to better overall fitness he would be the far and away GOAT, not just a top 12 guy.

The last 4 years of my career in the military I oversaw Ranger training. If we had a 22 year old out of the academy who was "loose in the cage", he was either going to get whipped into the best shape of his life or he was going to drop out, simple as that.
A veteran operator who had proven himself, it really wasn't a major concern.

There is nothing wrong with expecting excellence and professionalism.
IMO opinion there is no excuse for a young guy like Randle to not be in top shape, or a guy like Deng who just signed a 72 mil contract to come into camp so obviously out of shape.


Thanks
_________________
"You can't scream TANK all year and then cry when free agents don't want to sit down with you."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LilJay24
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 3954

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

We don't have an official Magic Johnson thread and every official thread I made ends up being a total fail so I'll just post this in this thread.

Summer of 1984:

Magic Johnson: "Pat Riley wrote me a letter that said... I want you to be in the best shape of your life and come back better next season...".

Pat Riley wrote Magic Johnson this later after our devastating loss to the Celtics in 1984. After this letter Magic Johnson spent the entire off season running early mornings and working on his game alone, which turned him into a player that beat the Celtics in the finals in 1985 and 1987.

Summer of 2017:

Magic Johnson: “We told every player that they must improve and we want them to be in the best physical shape of their lives. We don’t want anybody over seven, eight percent body fat anymore, and basically all but one or two players were in double-figures in body fat, we can’t have that. We told them that this is all about excellence now and so you’ve got to be disciplined, you’ve got to put the work in, those who come back in shape, they’re going to see the court. Those who don’t, won’t see the court. It’s simple as that. This is not about anything but excellence, so you’ve got to be a professional. This is your job.”

Magic Johnson is one of the greatest Lakers of all time and an NBA Legend. We're blessed to have this guy around our young core because he knows exactly what is needed to become a Lakers legend, he wants everyone to work as hard as he did and be as committed to Lakers excellence as he was. He's holding our young core to the same standard that the Lakers held him too back in the 1980s. This guy knows what it takes and he's going to make sure our young core knows what it takes as well.
_________________
Did Jordan Clarkson think Metta's 3 at the end was going in? "I don't know. He was shaking like a stripper in the corner."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 23 Jun 2001
Posts: 618

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:

So Magic doesn't want anyone over 7-8% body fat anymore, eh?

Well, I guess that counts me out!
_________________
“Love is the force that ignites the spirit and binds teams together.” - Phil Jackson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rst08tierney
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 807

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Here's the list

Body Fat % List from highest to lowest

LINK

This should've been from right after the Lou Will trade (since he's not on there but Calderon still is)

Body Composition Tracker: lbs, BF%

Zubac: 263.8, 18.4%
World Peace: 254.5, 14.9%
Deng: 228, 14.9%
Young: 214.4, 13.6%
Mosgov: 258.4, 13.4%
Black: 257.4, 13.1%
Russell: 197.9, 12.4%
Randle: 256.3, 12%
Clarkson: 196.1, 11.8%
Nance: 235.7, 10.7%
Ingram: 189.9, 9.2%
Calderon: 191.9, 8.9%
Robinson: 250, 5.3%


Total Workout Sessions (since start of season?)

Zubac: 460
Ingram: 434
Robinson: 385
Russell: 342
Mosgov: 319
Randle: 318
Black: 312
World Peace: 308
Nance: 307
Clarkson: 254
Young: 144
Deng: 116
Ennis: 22
Nwaba: 12
Brewer: 4


Zubac was our hardest worker but had the highest bodyfat mainly due to growing into his body which is to be expected.

Only 3 players were in the single digits of bodyfat last season.

Kid's it's understandable why their body fat would be high, veterans unless they're 'done' don't have any excuses.

Guys like Brewer should have no excuses for their body fat being that high. And I think what should factor into not just their diets but their workouts and how many sessions they are doing. Such as if you're in the top 3 of workout sessions, your body fat WILL drop as your body evolves. That's to be expected.



Unless these guys submerged them selfs in water to accurately measure body fat all theses numbers are off.

Do any of you actually have a CLUE on what 8% body fat looks like? Let alone 5%

http://i.imgur.com/Y37rIEX.png
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mde24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 17 Nov 2009
Posts: 641

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

Bring back those 80's shorts for practices, guys will lose that body fat when those tight shorts start to cut off their circulation. Nance to Zub... "Do these shorts make my butt look big? I think they are cutting off the blood to my junk". #Run
_________________
"If you see me in a fight with a bear, prey for the bear". Ive always loved that quote. Thats "mamba mentality" we don't quit, we don't cower, we don't run. We endure and conquer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Jul 2012
Posts: 27513
Location: Holland

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject:

anyone know if ball is at 7 % ?
_________________
also sprach magic johnson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaGreatKobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 14 Aug 2005
Posts: 338

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:

rst08tierney wrote:
MJST wrote:
Here's the list

Body Fat % List from highest to lowest

LINK

This should've been from right after the Lou Will trade (since he's not on there but Calderon still is)

Body Composition Tracker: lbs, BF%

Zubac: 263.8, 18.4%
World Peace: 254.5, 14.9%
Deng: 228, 14.9%
Young: 214.4, 13.6%
Mosgov: 258.4, 13.4%
Black: 257.4, 13.1%
Russell: 197.9, 12.4%
Randle: 256.3, 12%
Clarkson: 196.1, 11.8%
Nance: 235.7, 10.7%
Ingram: 189.9, 9.2%
Calderon: 191.9, 8.9%
Robinson: 250, 5.3%


Total Workout Sessions (since start of season?)

Zubac: 460
Ingram: 434
Robinson: 385
Russell: 342
Mosgov: 319
Randle: 318
Black: 312
World Peace: 308
Nance: 307
Clarkson: 254
Young: 144
Deng: 116
Ennis: 22
Nwaba: 12
Brewer: 4


Zubac was our hardest worker but had the highest bodyfat mainly due to growing into his body which is to be expected.

Only 3 players were in the single digits of bodyfat last season.

Kid's it's understandable why their body fat would be high, veterans unless they're 'done' don't have any excuses.

Guys like Brewer should have no excuses for their body fat being that high. And I think what should factor into not just their diets but their workouts and how many sessions they are doing. Such as if you're in the top 3 of workout sessions, your body fat WILL drop as your body evolves. That's to be expected.



Unless these guys submerged them selfs in water to accurately measure body fat all theses numbers are off.

Do any of you actually have a CLUE on what 8% body fat looks like? Let alone 5%

http://i.imgur.com/Y37rIEX.png

Your chart isn't accurate 20-25% for a male is near danger zone for obese, and that show's them with a bit of abdominal fat layer. Above 10% is pretty unacceptable for so called world-class athletes. Magic is simply setting a S.M.A.R.T. goal for the entire team. Those who don't put in the work show that they don't have what the new front office is looking for in a player. Its pretty simple, I think most of you are mocking him for a simple statement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 15692

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject:

rst08tierney wrote:
MJST wrote:
Here's the list

Body Fat % List from highest to lowest

LINK

This should've been from right after the Lou Will trade (since he's not on there but Calderon still is)

Body Composition Tracker: lbs, BF%

Zubac: 263.8, 18.4%
World Peace: 254.5, 14.9%
Deng: 228, 14.9%
Young: 214.4, 13.6%
Mosgov: 258.4, 13.4%
Black: 257.4, 13.1%
Russell: 197.9, 12.4%
Randle: 256.3, 12%
Clarkson: 196.1, 11.8%
Nance: 235.7, 10.7%
Ingram: 189.9, 9.2%
Calderon: 191.9, 8.9%
Robinson: 250, 5.3%


Total Workout Sessions (since start of season?)

Zubac: 460
Ingram: 434
Robinson: 385
Russell: 342
Mosgov: 319
Randle: 318
Black: 312
World Peace: 308
Nance: 307
Clarkson: 254
Young: 144
Deng: 116
Ennis: 22
Nwaba: 12
Brewer: 4


Zubac was our hardest worker but had the highest bodyfat mainly due to growing into his body which is to be expected.

Only 3 players were in the single digits of bodyfat last season.

Kid's it's understandable why their body fat would be high, veterans unless they're 'done' don't have any excuses.

Guys like Brewer should have no excuses for their body fat being that high. And I think what should factor into not just their diets but their workouts and how many sessions they are doing. Such as if you're in the top 3 of workout sessions, your body fat WILL drop as your body evolves. That's to be expected.



Unless these guys submerged them selfs in water to accurately measure body fat all theses numbers are off.

Do any of you actually have a CLUE on what 8% body fat looks like? Let alone 5%

http://i.imgur.com/Y37rIEX.png


I think we're going more for what Magic perceives as 7-8% body fat. Most people tend to underestimate body fat percentage by quite a significant margin. They have to or else they become fatter. If you have to bump what you thought was 8% to 12%, now you got to raise your own BF% from 18% to 22%. I don't want to think I'm 22%.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CervantesRises
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 803

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
rst08tierney wrote:
MJST wrote:
Here's the list

Body Fat % List from highest to lowest

LINK

This should've been from right after the Lou Will trade (since he's not on there but Calderon still is)

Body Composition Tracker: lbs, BF%

Zubac: 263.8, 18.4%
World Peace: 254.5, 14.9%
Deng: 228, 14.9%
Young: 214.4, 13.6%
Mosgov: 258.4, 13.4%
Black: 257.4, 13.1%
Russell: 197.9, 12.4%
Randle: 256.3, 12%
Clarkson: 196.1, 11.8%
Nance: 235.7, 10.7%
Ingram: 189.9, 9.2%
Calderon: 191.9, 8.9%
Robinson: 250, 5.3%


Total Workout Sessions (since start of season?)

Zubac: 460
Ingram: 434
Robinson: 385
Russell: 342
Mosgov: 319
Randle: 318
Black: 312
World Peace: 308
Nance: 307
Clarkson: 254
Young: 144
Deng: 116
Ennis: 22
Nwaba: 12
Brewer: 4


Zubac was our hardest worker but had the highest bodyfat mainly due to growing into his body which is to be expected.

Only 3 players were in the single digits of bodyfat last season.

Kid's it's understandable why their body fat would be high, veterans unless they're 'done' don't have any excuses.

Guys like Brewer should have no excuses for their body fat being that high. And I think what should factor into not just their diets but their workouts and how many sessions they are doing. Such as if you're in the top 3 of workout sessions, your body fat WILL drop as your body evolves. That's to be expected.



Unless these guys submerged them selfs in water to accurately measure body fat all theses numbers are off.

Do any of you actually have a CLUE on what 8% body fat looks like? Let alone 5%

http://i.imgur.com/Y37rIEX.png


I think we're going more for what Magic perceives as 7-8% body fat. Most people tend to underestimate body fat percentage by quite a significant margin. They have to or else they become fatter. If you have to bump what you thought was 8% to 12%, now you got to raise your own BF% from 18% to 22%. I don't want to think I'm 22%.


You set the goal of 7 to 8% knowing youre happy with under 10 which professional athletes should be...add that to high level cardio and now the tempo goes up which most teams cant hang with for 48 min.

Fatigue makes cowards of us all...this was one of Vince Lombardi's greatest contributions to professional sports. A team in exellent shape but questional talent can now compete with a team with better talent but less conditioned for the activity. He made conditioning a talent.
_________________
"This game's in the refrigerator. The door is closed, the lights are out. the eggs are coolin', the butter's gettin' hard and the jello's jigglin'."
- Chick, the One & Only
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 1914
Location: Costa Rica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

AuraStar wrote:
So Magic doesn't want anyone over 7-8% body fat anymore, eh?

Well, I guess that counts me out!


Not yet. You might be front office material!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 17 Mar 2017
Posts: 191

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

We know now Magic is a man of his word

We are doomed
_________________
Contenders by 2020
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB