Lakers Have the 5th Best Young Core (25 or Under)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

I will def follow the 76ers more next season. My east coast team next year. Hate the Knicks. Lol.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

Top 10 young teams in the NBA next year:

Philly
Minnesota
Milwaukee
Lakers
Denver
Suns
Kings
Magic
Pistons
Nets
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

Safe to say if Philly stays healthy that team has the most promising future. Has the potential to have the best center, point forward, and point guard 5-6 years down the road. Also a matter of whether Simmons develops a jumper which will dictate whether he's a 3 or 4 (probably most likely to play the 4 imo)
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

It'll be interesting to see if any tof these tams besides Denver with Jokic find a gem with their later picks.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Safe to say if Philly stays healthy that team has the most promising future. Has the potential to have the best center, point forward, and point guard 5-6 years down the road. Also a matter of whether Simmons develops a jumper which will dictate whether he's a 3 or 4 (probably most likely to play the 4 imo)

Yes. Philly is actually my adopted second home town so I'm secretly pleased that they will be a fun team to follow. But I think the Lakers are also in a very good position too and will also get an impact FA in the next season or 2.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

And they already have some solid young role players on their roster like Covington, Holmes, TLC, and possibly Anderson, McConnell and Stauskas with Korkmaz marinating overseas. Not to mention the Lakers/Sacto pick and their own draft picks (millions of second rounders) for the foreseeable future. The process worked.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
It'll be interesting to see if any tof these tams besides Denver with Jokic find a gem with their later picks.

Who would be a good fit for them at 13? I feel like after the top 10 the talent level middles out
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

And they already have some solid young role players on their roster like Covington, Holmes, TLC, and possibly Anderson, McConnell and Stauskas with Korkmaz marinating overseas. Not to mention the Lakers/Sacto pick and their own draft picks (millions of second rounders) for the foreseeable future. The process worked.

Yeah. They basically need to find 3/D role players to plug in the 2 and forward spots. Bravo. Hopefully we will be battling with them down the road in the finals.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

That's what I'm looking for in this draft. I keep saying Justin Patton if he falls.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Yes. Philly is actually my adopted second home town so I'm secretly pleased that they will be a fun team to follow. But I think the Lakers are also in a very good position too and will also get an impact FA in the next season or 2.

The crazy thing about this Philly team is they still have a bunch of draft assets and younger players outside of Embiid, Fultz & Simmons.

Saric
Okafor
Luwawu-Cabarrot
Korkmaz (who should was a lottery talent last year & still 19)
Covington
Holmes
Their own 1st in 2018, 2019
Lakers 1st next year if 1 or 6+ or Kings 1st if 2019.

Even if they make the playoffs next or in 2 years, they still have at least 1 more high lottery pick joining that core.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Someone like Avery Bradley would be a great player for them. Wonder if they try to sign a star FA this off-season or wait it out with their team developing. I still feel comfortable with our team though and our prospects but I do somewhat envy their team
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Yeah. They basically need to find 3/D role players to plug in the 2 and forward spots. Bravo. Hopefully we will be battling with them down the road in the finals.

But Hinke sucks

They already have the 3/D players in Covington, TLC, and Anderson. Will be interesting to see how they use their cap space. I'm sure they will make better investments than we did.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Logo wrote:

The crazy thing about this Philly team is they still have a bunch of draft assets and younger players outside of Embiid, Fultz & Simmons.

Saric
Okafor
Luwawu-Cabarrot
Korkmaz (who should was a lottery talent last year & still 19)
Covington
Holmes
Their own 1st in 2018, 2019
Lakers 1st next year if 1 or 6+ or Kings 1st if 2019.

Even if they make the playoffs next or in 2 years, they still have at least 1 more high lottery pick joining that core.

This is with blowing a 3rd pick on Okafor too. Pretty amazing. However the caveat is health, which is uber important with Embiid. If he goes down that's a different trajectory.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

Who would be a good fit for them at 13? I feel like after the top 10 the talent level middles out

OG Anunoby is my guy for Denver at #13. Denver is going to be in the market for great defenders to put around a 1/5 combo of Murray and Nurkic, and Anunoby easily has the highest defensive upside at that point in the draft. It's a gamble on his jumper improving - he could just end up a more athletic Mbah A Moute - but in that range I think it's worth gambling on it.
Laker Dude
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

Our core is better than all of those except maybe the Wolves. 76ers core is nothing but an intriguing collection of garbage. Embiid will flake out of the league in 2 years because he can never play more than half a season at most. Simmons hasnt even played a game yet and already has injury problems, still probably doesnt even have a jump shot. The rest of their players are average prospects at best.

Ingram played very well the last half of the season and posterized a lot of guys in his first season at age 19. He has all the assets to become a top 10 NBA player. Length, skill, footwork, iq, and work ethic. If he continues to work with Kobe sky is the limit. DLO shows a lot of potential and is already becoming a very solid combo guard. Clarkson should take another step next year. Randle has a year to prove he isnt a bust, but hes progressed every year. Nance is a dpoy candidate in the making. Zubac has an outside shot of becoming a serviceable starting center who can make 3s.

Sounds like a ton of bias but its really not tbh. Putting your hopes in guys who constantly have injury problems never works out. The only core who looks better than ours is the T Wolves, and only because of the dominance KAT has shown. Wiggins will be a top 10 scorer in the league, if he develops a 2 way game he could be elite. That would give them a nice duo but we all know Towns is leaving the moment he becomes a free agent.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

If we are saying best talented young team, on paper it's Philly I guess. But, as we know in the case of Lebron, one really great piece can be more important than 3 or 4 good pieces. The Greek Freak is a great piece. So based on him alone, Milwaukee is #1 on my list.

Based on most talented player.

Milwaukee
Minnesota
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Denver
Phoenix
And the rest. In my opinion, they doesn't matter.

I do expect a change in position, especially by year's end. Hopefully who ever we draft will put us over the top. We already know the Sixers are drafting Fultz, but we still have a great chance of acquiring someone special.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

That's what I'm looking for in this draft. I keep saying Justin Patton if he falls.

I'd be happy with that outcome. And I have my fingers crossed on Zu's development.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
If we are saying best talented young team, on paper it's Philly I guess. But, as we know in the case of Lebron, one really great piece can be more important than 3 or 4 good pieces. The Greek Freak is a great piece. So based on him alone, Milwaukee is #1 on my list.

Based on most talented player.

Milwaukee
Minnesota
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Denver
Phoenix
And the rest. In my opinion, they doesn't matter.

I do expect a change in position, especially by year's end. Hopefully who ever we draft will put us over the top. We already know the Sixers are drafting Fultz, but we still have a great chance of acquiring someone special.

I think you're underrating Jokic.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Assuming we draft Zo, I like the way our young core compliments each other better than the other groups.

I'm very sanguine about our group. Smart and selfless players. Maybe not as much "superstar" power as Philly but I can't hate them for their luck.

It is similar to the way GS built their team. It seems strange to say now but in their first few seasons none of the Warriors was considered a star (I'm not counting KD because he's not really part of the family. More like the neighbor kid who always crashes because he likes your family more than his own). Curry was thought to be a guy with great potential but if folks remember he actually signed for the same deal Ty Lawson did (iirc 4/$44M).

They grew as a team at the same time they grew as individuals. In some way it may be part of how Klay, Dray, and Curry became so good.

From what I've seen of Minny, Wiggins and KAT are two very talented guys who play on the same team. Phoenix feels like a collection of guys who will have their better days on other teams. Denver has good team continuity and I really like Jokic and Murray. Gobert and Hood make the Jazz young core look good but their unit is maturing past the prospect phase.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Top 10 young teams in the NBA next year:

Philly
Minnesota
Milwaukee
Lakers
Denver
Suns
Kings
Magic
Pistons
Nets

I don't understand why so many people rate the TWolves so highly. I just don't see it.

KAT puts up scoring stats, but he is a terrible defender. He literally ranked last in the league among centers in defensive RPM. Yes, last. 70th out of 70. I know he's young, but come on. He ranks behind guys like Okafor, Kanter, Diaw, and Jefferson. In the modern NBA, I don't know how much value lies in a one way offensive center.

As for Wiggins, he looks like he could put up some scoring numbers over the course of his career. Still, he's a SF who doesn't rebound, get assists, or play defense. He's a worse defender than KAT. He has been in the league for three years, so he isn't an impressionable kid at this point.

LaVine has managed to become a mediocre to average player, and I guess there is room for growth there.

I just don't see this as a great young core.
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject:

1. Philly (on paper, but injuries will be mess it up)
2. Lakers

Who cares who's underneath
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
For me it goes:

1. 76ers (3 stars if everyone is healthy + Saric and trade bait in Okafor)
2. Minny (2 potential stars)

Pretty big gap.
3. Phx (Booker, Chriss, Bender + Tatum or Jackson)
4. Lakers (Ingram, Dlo, Ball, Randle) - If Ingram develops into a star, then they go above the Suns.
5. Denver
6. Sacramento

There's little doubt that, talent-wise, the 76ers and Timberwolves are above the rest and probably by a good margin, but I'll add an overlooked perspective here -

I'm more interested in how the various pieces fit together. We know the Timberwolves' season ended in disaster because of their inability to defend, despite having three players that could score 30 on any given night. Chemistry, fit, offensive/defensive synergy need be taken into consideration, as that's where the Lakers might have a distinct advantage over many teams. That 5 win stretch to end the season was promising from a couple angles. I saw good defensive synergy/communication, which bodes well for the future. Offensively, they'll definitely have their work cut out for them.

Some other thoughts on those teams:

76ers
- Simmons and Embiid need to play an actual season together before we start any conversation about Philly as a playoff contender next season. I'm one of those who believe Embiid will have an uphill battle with his knees, and I hope he proves me wrong on this because it was fun as hell watching him revitalize a fallen franchise last season. Generally speaking, history is not kind to big men with knee reoccurring knee/foot issues (another reason I'm concerned about Zubac's longevity in the league).

Wolves:
- We know the Wiggins-Towns dynamic went to crap the moment they decided not to play any defense (perimeter, PnR, paint defense). They'll have to find a way to not be a one-dimensional team. Rubio changes the dimensional of the offense, but it means squat if the other 4 guys (with the exception of Dieng) are not defending. I'm not sold on them, but who knows, maybe they'll make a few changes to improve on the defensive end next season.

Suns:
- Phoenix needs someone who can distribute the "Ball", because it's just going to be the Booker show. He'll be taking 25+ shots a night without having a guy that can take pressure off him. Chriss is a great talent (reminds me of Bosh-lite), but he will need someone creating for him. I do like Bender, Ulis and Warren. Bender needs to stay healthy, although I'm intrigued at his potential. For those above reasons, the Suns will remain a big question mark to me. They also traded away their best perimeter defender in PJ Tucker. Len and Chandler add some semblance of defense to a team that plays virtually none.

Denver:
- I underestimated Jokic prior to last season and boy did he prove me wrong. At 22 years of age, he:
a) was a triple double threat every night
b) nearly led an injury-prone, undermanned Denver team to the playoffs
c) changed the dimension of the offense with his passing.

Denver is one of those "fit and chemistry" teams I talked about, simply because Jokic elevates the play of everyone around him. I wouldn't sleep on them. After winning 40 games, they can only go up from here. I might be alone on this, but Murray could end up being the next iteration of Curry.

Sacramento:
- Hield, Skal, WCS are promising pieces, but there's a reason they wanted Brandon Ingram. They need a piece that can elevate those guys. I think they are a few years away. That being said, Joerger has always done more with less. They'll be well coached enough to not be a total pushover next season.

Lakers:
I've said this before, but I personally believe our success will be predicated on how well the Ball-Ingram dynamic works. If those two guys develop the way I think they will, they should be able to elevate the play of those around them (see Jokic). We saw a glimpse of the attention Ingram started drawing from defenses. If that was a sign of things to come, then the league should be very scared.

If we play a game that's predicated heavily on transition, but also sound defense (see guys like Nwaba, Brewer, Black being total hounds to end the season), then we might be pretty damn formidable. I'm intrigued at this possibility, but it might take time.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

So the Lakers had to move down a couple spots here. If the team isn't going into win-now mode right now, they're not in a great spot relative to the other young cores rebuilding.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Comparison of Young Cores

In terms of top young cores, I would put Lakers in there with Celtics (2-3 young core players), Wolves, 76ers. Would not count Utah, Denver, Sun.
For attracting FAs, Wolves dont have the space and dont have the cache. Celtics have no space.
76ers have the space for 1 in 2018 and 2 in 2019, but the biggest question is Embiid. And it is a less 'attractive' location than LA.
Given all the questions, LA is best location (safest with top upside) for max FAs to flock to for young cores.
For Lebron who is older, Houston may make more sense though questionable whether they can fit him in and keep Capela and no room for Paul. Can Lebron-Harden-Gordon beat Warriors??? If PG goes to LA, I would take Bi-PG-Ball-Kuz-Randle-Lebron over Lebron-Harden-Gordon.

Lakers
young core players - bi, ball, kuz, randle
support players - hart
older core players - none
cap space - will have 2 max for 2018 and 2019
biggest question - can it get the 2 top FAs in 2018 and/or 2019

Wolves
young core players - wiggins, towns
support young players -
older core players - butler, teague, gibson
cap space - not enough for max in 2018 and debatable for 2019
biggest question - wiggins growth, not enough top end talent

Celtics
young core players - brown, tatum,
support young players - smart,
older core players - hayward, irving, horford
cap space - no space in 2018 or 2019
biggest question - hayward health

76ers
young core players - simmons, embiid
support players - covington, fultz???
older core players - saric,
cap space - 1 max in 2018 and possibly 2 max in 2019
draft picks - good amount
biggest questions - embiid health, what happened to fultz?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

Right now, the 76ers/Wolves have actual all stars. I don't think BI/Lonzo/Kuz are in the all star games at the earliest a few years.

I think Celts/Lakers young cores are comparable, though I like ours better b/c we have more offensively versatile players.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13
Jump to: