General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 435, 436, 437 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject:

Spence put in a great performance, and he's clearly the future of the division (with Crawford). I think the Thurman fight is too soon for him this year. If he fights Thurman a full year from now, I might pick Spence to win that fight.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
that's so ridiculous to me.

Spence was dominating. picking him apart. clearly executing his game plan.. body and eye.

good on Spence for finishing Brook.

That GGG fight was the biggest mistake of of his career. Reminds me of what Pacquiao did to Margarito.

Speaking about mistakes, how do you think Canelo would do against Floyd today? He definitely wasn't ready for the bright lights when he fought him.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
GGG has NO rematch clause. Canelo has one. Very surprising considering GGG is bringing 4 belts to the table while Canelo is bringing nothing but his false bravado. Let's see if Canelo even invokes the rematch clause after he gets put to sleep in September.

Source: Link

Just like GGG put Jacobs and Brook to sleep. After GGG gets his L tell him to run to Ward for a fight.

In all fairness, even though GGG didn't KO him, Jacobs is a damn good boxer and GGG won unanimously plus had a knockdown.

Brook was one round away from getting put to sleep and/or losing permanent vision in his right eye.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
that's so ridiculous to me.

Spence was dominating. picking him apart. clearly executing his game plan.. body and eye.

good on Spence for finishing Brook.

That GGG fight was the biggest mistake of of his career. Reminds me of what Pacquiao did to Margarito.

Speaking about mistakes, how do you think Canelo would do against Floyd today? He definitely wasn't ready for the bright lights when he fought him.

nobody's beating floyd.

on another note..

this is going to be awesome!!
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
GGG has NO rematch clause. Canelo has one. Very surprising considering GGG is bringing 4 belts to the table while Canelo is bringing nothing but his false bravado. Let's see if Canelo even invokes the rematch clause after he gets put to sleep in September.

Source: Link

Cash cow calls the shots.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject:

Don't forget to tune in Andrezj Fonfara (29-4, 17 KOs) vs Adonis Stevenson (28-1,23 KOs) SHOWTIME 6:00PM

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Pascal vs. Alvarez, great fight, Jean has the heart of a champion. He got rocked a couple of times but came right back swinging.

Stevenson just to much for Fonfara. Hunter did the right thing stopping the fight. Not often you see a corner look out for his fighter as Virgil did.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

Sorry, All. Been crazy busy, so I haven't been able to come in and visit.

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

The rematch is this weekend! I'm likely gonna buy it, cuz it's gonna be way cheaper than GGG vs. Canelo and the sham of a boxing match with Floyd vs. McGregor.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Looking forward to the fight this weekend! I am ordering it with a friend of mine since we won't be paying Floyd and Connor for their circus act. This fight is the best matchup of this year imo, and it will be very competitive.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Looking forward to the fight this weekend! I am ordering it with a friend of mine since we won't be paying Floyd and Connor for their circus act. This fight is the best matchup of this year imo, and it will be very competitive.

It will be an easier fight for Ward compare to the first fight. Ward already got into Kovalev's head and he will come out looking for the KO. Kovalev won't be able to make the proper adjustments to win the fight.

Kovalev should fire his team and get new management. How do you fight in the biggest fight of your life and you don't receive at least $2-3 million in guaranteed money for the fight?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:

Kovalev ain't no joke. Did you see the look on Andre's face when the decision was announced? He was surprised.

He's going to have to make some adjustments. Serge will come at him full bore when the bell rings. Ward's going to have to be defensive early, make Kovalev work.

Andre will have to be in the best shape possible, take the fight deep, Serge's been known to fade late.

If he can frustrate Kovalev he may make some mistakes. Andre is a master at making fighters pay for their mistakes.

Honestly, I'm scaaaared for Andre.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

It will be an easier fight for Ward compare to the first fight. Ward already got into Kovalev's head and he will come out looking for the KO. Kovalev won't be able to make the proper adjustments to win the fight.

Kovalev should fire his team and get new management. How do you fight in the biggest fight of your life and you don't receive at least $2-3 million in guaranteed money for the fight?

Tough to say it will be easier for Ward since he was put down by a glancing shot (a flush one could have been the end). I do think Ward will try to fight on the inside from the start and impose his style. It will be up to Kovalev to make adjustments from the previous fight. His conditioning will have to improve to compete with Ward, as well. I'd give the edge to Ward, but I would not be shocked by an early KO for Kovalev. This fight is still very intriguing and basically 50/50 imo.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Ward with the nut shot victory over Kovalev
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject:

I didn't think they were low. Looked borderline to me. Weeks thought so also.

Serge was tiring after the the5th. He looked for Weeks to give he a breather, didn't happen. He had a new conditioning coach for this fight. It didn't make a difference.

I watched the 8th round over and over. Andre did what he was supposed to, beat the body. Serge was done, he sat on the ropes. Weeks did the right thing stopping the fight.

Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I didn't think they were low. Looked borderline to me. Weeks thought so also.

Serge was tiring after the the5th. He looked for Weeks to give he a breather, didn't happen. He had a new conditioning coach for this fight. It didn't make a difference.

I watched the 8th round over and over. Andre did what he was supposed to, beat the body. Serge was done, he sat on the ropes. Weeks did the right thing stopping the fight.

Kovalev was gassed and would've been out of there sooner or later. But that was a terrible stoppage. At least 1 of those shots was below the beltline, and that's when Kova went into the fetal position.
AutumnWind
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject:

Main Events is protesting the loss and with Weeks saying he made a couple mistakes during the fight maybe he has a case. Kovalev looked absolutely gassed though hoping both of them just move on. Lets see if Ward fights Adonis next.
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject:

Why not call a knock down? It was a terrible call.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject:

In_your_Eye wrote:

How is it a terrible call when Kovalev kept looking for a way out of the fight and stopped protecting himself? You don't call a KD when the ropes are not holding up a fighter and no standing 8 count allowed. Did you expect Weeks to stand there and watch a fighter who quit and stop defending himself to keep taking hard punches from his opponent?

The truth is Ward's body punches were too much for Kovalev and Kovalev was done after the 5th round. He kept making excuses during the fight and even turned his back on his opponent.
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:

How is it a terrible call when Kovalev kept looking for a way out of the fight and stopped protecting himself? You don't call a KD when the ropes are not holding up a fighter and no standing 8 count allowed. Did you expect Weeks to stand there and watch a fighter who quit and stop defending himself to keep taking hard punches from his opponent?

The truth is Ward's body punches were too much for Kovalev and Kovalev was done after the 5th round. He kept making excuses during the fight and even turned his back on his opponent.

He sat on the ropes, even if those last 3 shot weren't low which is unlikely, how many times has a fight been immediately stopped due to a body punch? He took the right hand earlier and was wobbled but didn't take another hard shot upstairs which is the concern, to prevent severe brain damage not abdominal pain. I expect Tony Weeks to call a knock down, give him a standing 8 count and let two great fighters earn their keep.
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

I'm more upset that Ward wasn't given the chance to lay Kovalev on his back out on his guard with nothing to say but I got my ass kicked. Now he has something to chatter about even though he probably was going to sustain a further ass whooping which I thoroughly would have enjoyed.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

Ward had Kovalev's number. Andre exposed him as a fighter who can't take body shots and fades after around five. From now on whoever he fights is going to attack his body and try to take him deep.

No excuses??? After the fight Serge made nothing but excuses. He complained about low blows that were borderline. He was gassed, looking for Weeks to give him a breather. He quit. I won't say "no mas," it was close.

He said he wanted another rematch. SMH If he got one he'd be so intent on protecting his body, Andre would knock him out again, this time with head shots. He stung him with a stiff right to the head in the 8th. That was the beginning of the end.

Who's next for Andre?

EDIT:
What does Harold Lederman have against Ward? IIRC he had Andre winning 2 rounds. I had it 68 66 Ward when it ended.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

Those body shots were not low imo. Ward thoroughly dominated Kovalev and would have finished him in the very next round regardless of whether Weeks stopped it. I was a big Kovalev fan, but Ward has made me a believer. He should be the unquestioned P4P#1 right now.

Edit: I want to see Beterbiev vs. Ward asap.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Those body shots were not low imo. Ward thoroughly dominated Kovalev and would have finished him in the very next round regardless of whether Weeks stopped it. I was a big Kovalev fan, but Ward has made me a believer. He should be the unquestioned P4P#1 right now.

Edit: I want to see Beterbiev vs. Ward asap.

Why, because he's 11 0 11 ko's? You think he's earned a shot at Andre before, Adonis Stevenson 29-1, Nathan Cleverly 30-1-1, Juergen Braehmer 48-3, Oleksandr Gvozdyk 13-0. ESPN has these fighters ranked over Beterbiev.

Look who he's fought, a bunch of tomato cans. 1 fighter with a winning 6-4 record.

LINK

Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

In_your_Eye wrote:
Nissan wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:

He sat on the ropes, even if those last 3 shot weren't low which is unlikely, how many times has a fight been immediately stopped due to a body punch? He took the right hand earlier and was wobbled but didn't take another hard shot upstairs which is the concern, to prevent severe brain damage not abdominal pain. I expect Tony Weeks to call a knock down, give him a standing 8 count and let two great fighters earn their keep.
A punch to the body especially the liver will knockout a fighter. What makes you think a body punch can't do damage when a fighter is not used to getting hit in the body? A body punch can hurt a lot more compare to getting hit in the head. Kovalev was hurt by the right hand and multiple body punches before he sat on the ropes. You don't need to keep hitting a fighter in the head to stop him when his body is weak and you know he can't take a body shot. The whole night he was crying wolf with the low blows when it was also his fault for having the belt so high.

https://imgur.com/h2vj9Z5

I already told you there is no standing 8 count in NV for title fights.

Kovalev was looking for a way out and Weeks gave it to him. You can tell by Kovalev's body language he was done and didn't want to continue fighting. You never turn you back on your opponent.

JDJ and Doc even said Weeks did the correct thing to stop the fight to prevent Kovalev from taking any more punishment.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject:

SOG is a beast. gotta give credit where its due.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 435, 436, 437 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 436 of 514
Jump to: