angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Tell us what page you're on.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Wow, over 2,348 pages and growing.

No wonder Trump's approval rating never drops below 30%.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Yeah, me too ChefLinda.

You know, at first blush it seems like a stupid move, in that Whole Foods is not doing well, and acquiring this dinosaur seems dilutive, in terms of earnings.

But then Amazon is really a supply chain company disguised as a retailer. I wonder if Bezos is going to re-engineer the grocery supply chain, to the point where margins will become fat, delivery to customers optimized, and even get into what I call the "value-added" grocery delivery business (Blue Apron, Plated, etc.) where meals and recipes are parceled for better margins, while giving customers better meal planning, healthier meals, and less food waste.

I agree with your assessment. There are parts of this that could help my business, and parts that could hurt my business. Too soon to tell. I have a specific niche clientele, so it's probably a wash.

They were obviously moving toward more same-day delivery. My bet is they utilize Whole Foods warehousing/distribution for much more than food.

I spend a lot of time in Boston, as my brothers live there as well as many friends. Any chance of finding out what business this is and if it is one someone like me can visit and patronize?

Thanks. I have a private personal chef business, no physical place to visit. I'll PM a link to my website for future reference.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

That patent that Amazon acquired where they don't allow shoppers to price check over wifi in their brick and mortar stores makes a lot more sense now.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Yeah, me too ChefLinda.

You know, at first blush it seems like a stupid move, in that Whole Foods is not doing well, and acquiring this dinosaur seems dilutive, in terms of earnings.

But then Amazon is really a supply chain company disguised as a retailer. I wonder if Bezos is going to re-engineer the grocery supply chain, to the point where margins will become fat, delivery to customers optimized, and even get into what I call the "value-added" grocery delivery business (Blue Apron, Plated, etc.) where meals and recipes are parceled for better margins, while giving customers better meal planning, healthier meals, and less food waste.

They brought the brand essentially. Amazon is betting as you say that they can restructure everything and make use of Amazons gargantuan reach with supply, delivery etc. I ain't betting against them that's for sure.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Anybody remember during the dot com boom there used to be home grocery delivery services. None of them ever had the resources that Amazon brings to the table. Also the difference is this generation is used to buying everything online so the traditional grocery stores should be scared.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject:

I read an article recently which said that Americans are losing interest in discount groceries. This is the driving force behind some of the boutique grocery chains that have sprung up lately. I can see a niche for an online premium grocery service. A lot would depend on how much you spend on groceries.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Anybody remember during the dot com boom there used to be home grocery delivery services. None of them ever had the resources that Amazon brings to the table. Also the difference is this generation is used to buying everything online so the traditional grocery stores should be scared.

I do recall this and none of them were ever able to to gain traction. Logistically, this is a mountain to climb for a startup. I suppose a company could be successful regionally but none ever really did.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Amazon has fresh in place, and is buying the supply chain servicing 400+ stores in the US, Canada and UK. They're already setup for delivery through instacart. Sounds like a quick expansion path. Optimize Whole foods margins. Piggyback on the "quality" name and use the food handling facilities already in place across the US.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

I sure remember those days of WebVan with the flashy IPO and the subsequent spectacular flame-out. They went bankrupt a year after purchasing HomeGrocer back in the day (which was actually partly owned by Amazon). Many of the folks who were part of WebVan emerged at AmazonFresh which expanded to California after five years of testing in Seattle.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I had a bad experience with Amazon. They charged me for membership I didn't apply for. When they didn't rescind it I put a stop on all Amazon purchases. If I order anything from Amazon my bank won't pay it.

You unintentionally signed up for prime, and when you told them this they didn't refund you? That's extraordinary...their customer service is pretty good re: refunds, but especially prime membership cancellation refunds.

I got the refund. It took some doing. I'd already put stops on anything Amazon. I haven't tried to remove the stops. I like Walmart.

So you're the guy!
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Im too cheap to shop at whole foods. I slip off to the ghetto and go to food4less for a bulk of my groceries when my wife is not looking.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

I live right by Whole Foods and rarely go there although the one time I did I saw Ron Artest there with a couple of kids(I assume his)
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Dollar Tree 🌲!!!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

The prices paid when companies gobble each other up is mind-boggling, you mean to tell me they would NOT have sold to amazon, had the maximum offer been "only" $11.7 billion?

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Dollar Tree 🌲!!!

99 cent only stores brother.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Just keep the prices high and the stores in the exclusive parts of town. I don't want to have to look at the Conkers of the world while I'm shopping for $8/lb grapes.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Just keep the prices high and the stores in the exclusive parts of town. I don't want to have to look at the Conkers of the world while I'm shopping for $8/lb grapes.

We practically have a Whole Foods on every block here. A couple of years ago, an old Boston area grocery chain went out of business and Whole Foods bought them all up and turned them into smaller versions of their big stores. Less crowded, mostly the same stock. I have 6 Whole Foods within a 10 minute drive (and 2 Trader Joes).
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

That's why you don't see me there!

I would be the great looking guy in the too tight old boardshorts.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Stolen from Twitter:

Bezos: Alexa, order me something from Whole Foods.

Alexa: Buying Whole Foods.

Bezos: Oh $#!† !
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Glad I don't live in Boston. The only thing I envy is the subway/heavy rail they got.

To this day, I don't understand why people still fall for the "natural" and "organic" marketing scheme and overpay for it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Chemicals, transfats, pesticides, genetically modified foods and preservatives are real things that some people prefer not to consume, particularly in foods they feed their children. Whole Foods isn't the only store to avoid those ingredients, but they make it more convenient if that's your preference. About half my clients are "regular" and about half want "natural/organic." So I am in both sorts of supermarkets every single day. Whole Foods house brand generic foods are often just as inexpensive as similar foods at regular grocery store. It just depends on what you're buying. If you can buy 1 lb of regular frozen corn or 1 lb of organic non-gmo corn for the same price, why wouldn't you buy the organic? I'm not sure why somebody who makes that choice should be mocked.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

We practically have a Whole Foods on every block here. A couple of years ago, an old Boston area grocery chain went out of business and Whole Foods bought them all up and turned them into smaller versions of their big stores. Less crowded, mostly the same stock. I have 6 Whole Foods within a 10 minute drive (and 2 Trader Joes).

That's (bleep) awesome. Whole Foods here are 6+miles apart.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Glad I don't live in Boston. The only thing I envy is the subway/heavy rail they got.

To this day, I don't understand why people still fall for the "natural" and "organic" marketing scheme and overpay for it.

Some of us still have taste buds because we didn't have to eat crushed glass in the cafeteria.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

We don't have a whole foods on the island, but we have a vegan restaurant, a vegetarian one, gluten free menus everywhere, and more naturopaths than doctors.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

We don't have a whole foods on the island, but we have a vegan restaurant, a vegetarian one, gluten free menus everywhere, and more naturopaths than doctors.

I would like to recommend that island the next time the military wants to find new places to establish a weapons testing zone.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: