2017-18 Los Angeles Kings Thread

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 19318
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: 2017-18 Los Angeles Kings Thread

Starting off this thread with the announcement that Tyler Toffoli is re-signed for 3 years 13.8 mil. This after Pearson got a 4 year 15 mil deal. Hard for me to digest a season without seeing Sutter (and his always entertaining son in the stands) or hearing Bob Miller call the games. Rumors around that the team is interested in Evander Kane. It's been a bit underwhelming since our last SC trip.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 7733
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Los Angeles Kings Thread

rwongega wrote:
Starting off this thread with the announcement that Tyler Toffoli is re-signed for 3 years 13.8 mil. This after Pearson got a 4 year 15 mil deal. Hard for me to digest a season without seeing Sutter (and his always entertaining son in the stands) or hearing Bob Miller call the games. Rumors around that the team is interested in Evander Kane. It's been a bit underwhelming since our last SC trip.


We're going to need Pearson and Toffoli to both stay healthy and step up. And we definitely need Kopitar to return to form. Along with Carter, there's 4 of our Top 6. I'm guessing that Kempe will be given a shot to assume a Top 6 role. Assuming that the team tries to put Gaborik on long-term IR, which would wipe out his cap hit for the time being, I don't see anyone else in the organization that could be a Top 6 guy--and don't tell me Dustin Brown--so interest in a player outside the organization could make sense. Kane is certainly very talented, though he comes with some off-the-ice issues.

If we did try to trade for a Top 6 type, do we have much of anything that other teams would want? We are 2 defenseman short IMO, so if we moved one of Martinez or Muzzin or Forbort, that just really exacerbates the D corps now. I mean, if someone wants McNabb, be my guest LOL. If we tried to sign a Top 6 forward, do we even have the cap space to do that? Maybe if Gaborik's contract were off the cap?
_________________
"The World Champion Los Angeles Lakers are on the air!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 19318
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017-18 Los Angeles Kings Thread

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Starting off this thread with the announcement that Tyler Toffoli is re-signed for 3 years 13.8 mil. This after Pearson got a 4 year 15 mil deal. Hard for me to digest a season without seeing Sutter (and his always entertaining son in the stands) or hearing Bob Miller call the games. Rumors around that the team is interested in Evander Kane. It's been a bit underwhelming since our last SC trip.


We're going to need Pearson and Toffoli to both stay healthy and step up. And we definitely need Kopitar to return to form. Along with Carter, there's 4 of our Top 6. I'm guessing that Kempe will be given a shot to assume a Top 6 role. Assuming that the team tries to put Gaborik on long-term IR, which would wipe out his cap hit for the time being, I don't see anyone else in the organization that could be a Top 6 guy--and don't tell me Dustin Brown--so interest in a player outside the organization could make sense. Kane is certainly very talented, though he comes with some off-the-ice issues.

If we did try to trade for a Top 6 type, do we have much of anything that other teams would want? We are 2 defenseman short IMO, so if we moved one of Martinez or Muzzin or Forbort, that just really exacerbates the D corps now. I mean, if someone wants McNabb, be my guest LOL. If we tried to sign a Top 6 forward, do we even have the cap space to do that? Maybe if Gaborik's contract were off the cap?


Maybe a bit off-topic but I'm really wishing the NHL would do away with the hard salary cap. Pretty much all of the teams that are strapped play in the big cities where you want the league to grow (Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Boston, Detroit). Tell me hockey out west doesn't grow if the Kings weren't cap-starved.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 7733
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Did a little internet searching and saw a rumor that the Kings are interested in Lightning forward Jonathan Drouin, and that the discussion is centering around Jake Muzzin.

I like Drouin a lot, and value him more highly than Muzzin in a vacuum, but Drouin is a RFA, and I would suspect that he is going to have to get paid about the same as Muzzin. But he's 22 and really does have star potential IMO, and he could be a little sparkplug type of player like a Gaudreau for the Flames. If something like this did happen, we'd be pretty thin on D, though. But maybe they think it would be worth it in the long run.
_________________
"The World Champion Los Angeles Lakers are on the air!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 19318
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Did a little internet searching and saw a rumor that the Kings are interested in Lightning forward Jonathan Drouin, and that the discussion is centering around Jake Muzzin.

I like Drouin a lot, and value him more highly than Muzzin in a vacuum, but Drouin is a RFA, and I would suspect that he is going to have to get paid about the same as Muzzin. But he's 22 and really does have star potential IMO, and he could be a little sparkplug type of player like a Gaudreau for the Flames. If something like this did happen, we'd be pretty thin on D, though. But maybe they think it would be worth it in the long run.


He's got good vision on the ice and is quite agile (well, even I would be compared to the rest of the team). Muzzin's a pretty hefty cost considering lack of depth on D has hurt us just as bad as poor offense and Muzzin's a decent offensive D-man. If the Vegas Golden Knights (vomit) take one of our D-men, the cupboard will be even more empty. Plus Drouin's got some diva issues which is what led to a lot of benching in his 2nd year.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 37918

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject:

The Kings to me seem to be in a transition phase.

I am still having a hard time coming to grips with no more Sutter/Lombardi, but it is what it is.

I think we need to decide what type of teem we want to be. The league clearly seems to be trending towards speed and scoring, we were the lockdown, grind you out defensive team.

Now it seems we don't have enough quality defensemen to play that style. And Quick seems to have slipped a bit in my opinion.

Kopitar looks like he is skating in slow motion compared to watching some of the guys on the Penguins in this years finals.

I think a rebuild is coming, but I admit to not being an expert in hockey, just a guy who loves the Kings and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 19318
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
The Kings to me seem to be in a transition phase.

I am still having a hard time coming to grips with no more Sutter/Lombardi, but it is what it is.

I think we need to decide what type of teem we want to be. The league clearly seems to be trending towards speed and scoring, we were the lockdown, grind you out defensive team.

Now it seems we don't have enough quality defensemen to play that style. And Quick seems to have slipped a bit in my opinion.

Kopitar looks like he is skating in slow motion compared to watching some of the guys on the Penguins in this years finals.

I think a rebuild is coming, but I admit to not being an expert in hockey, just a guy who loves the Kings and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.


I've always felt that trend-following doesn't give you rings. Setting the trend and playing to your strengths does. We can still be better than the teams there right now with the way we play. We just don't have the heady players who can do that right now. Mitchell, Justin, etc were huge losses in that regard.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 13477

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

https://sports.yahoo.com/breaking-habs-acquire-drouin-bolts-191128240.html

Dang... I know it was a longshot for the Kings to acquire Drouin, but man did he cost a pretty darn good prospect from the Habs. Probably as decent of a trade that Yzerman can get since he doesn't have to expose the player to the expansion draft. Cost Montreal a lot as they immediately signed him to a big extension. So.... does that mean Alex Galchenyuk is now available?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 19318
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
https://sports.yahoo.com/breaking-habs-acquire-drouin-bolts-191128240.html

Dang... I know it was a longshot for the Kings to acquire Drouin, but man did he cost a pretty darn good prospect from the Habs. Probably as decent of a trade that Yzerman can get since he doesn't have to expose the player to the expansion draft. Cost Montreal a lot as they immediately signed him to a big extension. So.... does that mean Alex Galchenyuk is now available?


Could probably get him for cheaper. Good vision and scoring but not a consistent player and prone to brainfarts.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 19318
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

The players that the Kings have left exposed for the Vegas expansion draft:

Andy Andreoff (F); Justin Auger (F); Dustin Brown (F); Kyle Clifford (F); Andrew Crescenzi (F); Nic Dowd (F); Marian Gaborik (F); Jarome Iginla (F); Trevor Lewis (F); Michael Mersch (F); Jordan Nolan (F); Teddy Purcell (F); Devin Setoguchi (F); Nick Shore (F); Matt Greene (D); Vincent Loverde (D); Brayden McNabb (D); Cameron Schilling (D); Rob Scuderi (D); Zach Trotman (D); Jack Campbell (G); Jeff Zatkoff (G)
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 7733
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
The players that the Kings have left exposed for the Vegas expansion draft:

Andy Andreoff (F); Justin Auger (F); Dustin Brown (F); Kyle Clifford (F); Andrew Crescenzi (F); Nic Dowd (F); Marian Gaborik (F); Jarome Iginla (F); Trevor Lewis (F); Michael Mersch (F); Jordan Nolan (F); Teddy Purcell (F); Devin Setoguchi (F); Nick Shore (F); Matt Greene (D); Vincent Loverde (D); Brayden McNabb (D); Cameron Schilling (D); Rob Scuderi (D); Zach Trotman (D); Jack Campbell (G); Jeff Zatkoff (G)


Maybe they will take McNabb. If so, I won't be shedding any tears.
_________________
"The World Champion Los Angeles Lakers are on the air!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 19318
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
The players that the Kings have left exposed for the Vegas expansion draft:

Andy Andreoff (F); Justin Auger (F); Dustin Brown (F); Kyle Clifford (F); Andrew Crescenzi (F); Nic Dowd (F); Marian Gaborik (F); Jarome Iginla (F); Trevor Lewis (F); Michael Mersch (F); Jordan Nolan (F); Teddy Purcell (F); Devin Setoguchi (F); Nick Shore (F); Matt Greene (D); Vincent Loverde (D); Brayden McNabb (D); Cameron Schilling (D); Rob Scuderi (D); Zach Trotman (D); Jack Campbell (G); Jeff Zatkoff (G)


Maybe they will take McNabb. If so, I won't be shedding any tears.


On another note, three of those players (Gaborik, Iginla, and Brown) combined to score 241 points in a season....in 2007-08.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 7733
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
The players that the Kings have left exposed for the Vegas expansion draft:

Andy Andreoff (F); Justin Auger (F); Dustin Brown (F); Kyle Clifford (F); Andrew Crescenzi (F); Nic Dowd (F); Marian Gaborik (F); Jarome Iginla (F); Trevor Lewis (F); Michael Mersch (F); Jordan Nolan (F); Teddy Purcell (F); Devin Setoguchi (F); Nick Shore (F); Matt Greene (D); Vincent Loverde (D); Brayden McNabb (D); Cameron Schilling (D); Rob Scuderi (D); Zach Trotman (D); Jack Campbell (G); Jeff Zatkoff (G)


Maybe they will take McNabb. If so, I won't be shedding any tears.


On another note, three of those players (Gaborik, Iginla, and Brown) combined to score 241 points in a season....in 2007-08.


That's like a Gretzky season by himself in the 1980's with the Oilers LOL.
_________________
"The World Champion Los Angeles Lakers are on the air!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 19318
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
The players that the Kings have left exposed for the Vegas expansion draft:

Andy Andreoff (F); Justin Auger (F); Dustin Brown (F); Kyle Clifford (F); Andrew Crescenzi (F); Nic Dowd (F); Marian Gaborik (F); Jarome Iginla (F); Trevor Lewis (F); Michael Mersch (F); Jordan Nolan (F); Teddy Purcell (F); Devin Setoguchi (F); Nick Shore (F); Matt Greene (D); Vincent Loverde (D); Brayden McNabb (D); Cameron Schilling (D); Rob Scuderi (D); Zach Trotman (D); Jack Campbell (G); Jeff Zatkoff (G)


Maybe they will take McNabb. If so, I won't be shedding any tears.


On another note, three of those players (Gaborik, Iginla, and Brown) combined to score 241 points in a season....in 2007-08.


That's like a Gretzky season by himself in the 1980's with the Oilers LOL.


Ah, the good ol days of high flying offenses.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 19318
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
The players that the Kings have left exposed for the Vegas expansion draft:

Andy Andreoff (F); Justin Auger (F); Dustin Brown (F); Kyle Clifford (F); Andrew Crescenzi (F); Nic Dowd (F); Marian Gaborik (F); Jarome Iginla (F); Trevor Lewis (F); Michael Mersch (F); Jordan Nolan (F); Teddy Purcell (F); Devin Setoguchi (F); Nick Shore (F); Matt Greene (D); Vincent Loverde (D); Brayden McNabb (D); Cameron Schilling (D); Rob Scuderi (D); Zach Trotman (D); Jack Campbell (G); Jeff Zatkoff (G)


Maybe they will take McNabb. If so, I won't be shedding any tears.


They did indeed.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 13477

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject:

NHL draft was completed earlier on Saturday, and the Kings drafted Gabriel Vilardi with the #11 pick on Friday! He was projected as a top-5 pick and only behind the first 2 picks in ranking at the center position.

It's been an interesting few weeks for the LA teams. Dodgers draft a guy who was projected as a top 15 pick that dropped in their laps. Kings draft a guy who was projected as a top 4 pick that dropped in their laps. Lakers get their guy at 2. Hopefully they all pan out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 19318
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
NHL draft was completed earlier on Saturday, and the Kings drafted Gabriel Vilardi with the #11 pick on Friday! He was projected as a top-5 pick and only behind the first 2 picks in ranking at the center position.

It's been an interesting few weeks for the LA teams. Dodgers draft a guy who was projected as a top 15 pick that dropped in their laps. Kings draft a guy who was projected as a top 4 pick that dropped in their laps. Lakers get their guy at 2. Hopefully they all pan out.


From what I've read, he's been compared to a Jaromir Jagr or a Marian Hossa.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 13477

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
NHL draft was completed earlier on Saturday, and the Kings drafted Gabriel Vilardi with the #11 pick on Friday! He was projected as a top-5 pick and only behind the first 2 picks in ranking at the center position.

It's been an interesting few weeks for the LA teams. Dodgers draft a guy who was projected as a top 15 pick that dropped in their laps. Kings draft a guy who was projected as a top 4 pick that dropped in their laps. Lakers get their guy at 2. Hopefully they all pan out.


From what I've read, he's been compared to a Jaromir Jagr or a Marian Hossa.


He's been compared to a lot of different players: Jagr, Tavares, Perry, etc. It depends on what teams think he'll end up being, a winger or center. With the Kings, most likely he'll play center.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 19318
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

Kings sign Michael Cammalleri who was our 49th overall pick in 2001. Skilled forward who just can't stay healthy. Formerly a decent speedy little guy who plays smart on the offensive end but again, made of glass. But I guess he comes full circle after we traded him for the 12th overall pick, which became the 13th after we traded again and chose the wrong D-man in a pretty good D-man draft year (Teubert over Karlsson/Sbisa/Carlson/Del Zotto/Gardiner, imagine Doughty with any one of those).
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 7733
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Kings sign Michael Cammalleri who was our 49th overall pick in 2001. Skilled forward who just can't stay healthy. Formerly a decent speedy little guy who plays smart on the offensive end but again, made of glass. But I guess he comes full circle after we traded him for the 12th overall pick, which became the 13th after we traded again and chose the wrong D-man in a pretty good D-man draft year (Teubert over Karlsson/Sbisa/Carlson/Del Zotto/Gardiner, imagine Doughty with any one of those).


I'm not exactly optimistic about this coming season. We're still in cap hell.
_________________
"The World Champion Los Angeles Lakers are on the air!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB