OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 202, 203, 204 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
epak wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
https://youtu.be/XcPcGtBHOJw

It's official. Lonzo is gonna be a laker. Isaiah Thomas is magics bff and it seems like he's taking to Lonzo. Giving him some advice

I'm pumped

I thought Magic and IT were estranged. They're not as close as they used to be.

Quote:
"Isiah killed his own chances when it came to the Olympics,"
Johnson said in the book, an advance copy of which was obtained by
The AP. "Nobody on that team wanted to play with him. ... I'm sad
for Isiah. He has alienated so many people in his life, and he
still doesn't get it. He doesn't understand why he wasn't chosen
for that Olympic team and that's really too bad. You should be
aware when you've ticked off more than half of the NBA."

Thomas also denied questioning Johnson's sexuality.

In the book, Johnson said the failed relationship with Thomas is
"the biggest personal disappointment of my life ... nothing else
is even close."

In Johnson's words, he and Thomas are now "cordial. That's
about it."

They got close again after Magic got involved with the Lakers again, watch their NBATV interview.

Is this the interview you're talking about?

LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject:

kentu_tiro wrote:
epak wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Ball is the pick (if he's there).

Hehe. He'll be there.
Philly guaranteed Fultz.

Would actually be funny if Philly takes Ball at #1 knowing we want him. Just like how we burned them when we took DLo instead of Okafor. They wanted DLo so bad that draft.

I wouldn't be too shocked if the Sixers did this.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Shams Charania: Sources: Lakers front office and Lonzo Ball’s agent, Harrison Gaines, remain in discussions, but no guarantees made yet for No. 2 pick. 38 mins ago – via Twitter ShamsCharania

Could someone explain to me why does there needs to be discussions with an agent? Arn't salary scales fixed by draft position? So the contract is essentially what the NBA gives anyways with no room for negotiation.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

Why post when what you have to say is decidedly false and your own personal narrative not supported by the eyes or any advanced analytics.

LB shot 71.8% at the cup on a statistically significant number of attempts...that's elite.

He shot 41.2% from 3, many of them step back NBA 3 range.

He is known for making the right read against the defense...teams lay off he takes the 3...teams hedge he hits the roll man...teams soft hedge he follows the retreating defender in to probe or attack the rim...and all of that is just when he's on the ball.

My god man...watch a couple of games before being outraged...you might like what you see.

Stats are so great when you don't have a brain to analyze them. He shoots a great percentage at the rim....great..im not debating that. Many of those attempts come in transition. My concern is the half court offense. He is poor at pick and roll...

Do you think a rookie Lonzo will have the free reign to jack 35 footers in an NBA game? Can he get that shot off against NBA length and quickness? Is it predictable when he goes right he will drive, left to shoot. He is a great talent with many holes in his game....its a matter of preference how one wants to construct a team. If he is picked I will root for him. If I could decide.....im not sold on his fit with the team/or that he is the bpa.

I could be wrong...but its my opinion.

Interesting discussion. LakerPimp, do you have data to support this claim? What percentage of his points (non 3s) were in transition compared to in a half court set?

Check out this article http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Lonzo-Ball-7229/
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

Why post when what you have to say is decidedly false and your own personal narrative not supported by the eyes or any advanced analytics.

LB shot 71.8% at the cup on a statistically significant number of attempts...that's elite.

He is known for making the right read against the defense...teams lay off he takes the 3...teams hedge he hits the roll man...teams soft hedge he follows the retreating defender in to probe or attack the rim...and all of that is just when he's on the ball.

My god man...watch a couple of games before being outraged...you might like what you see.

Stats are so great when you don't have a brain to analyze them. He shoots a great percentage at the rim....great..im not debating that. Many of those attempts come in transition. My concern is the half court offense. He is poor at pick and roll...

Do you think a rookie Lonzo will have the free reign to jack 35 footers in an NBA game? Can he get that shot off against NBA length and quickness? Is it predictable when he goes right he will drive, left to shoot. He is a great talent with many holes in his game....its a matter of preference how one wants to construct a team. If he is picked I will root for him. If I could decide.....im not sold on his fit with the team/or that he is the bpa.

Interesting discussion. LakerPimp, do you have data to support this claim? What percentage of his points (non 3s) were in transition compared to in a half court set?

Just read it. Although DX does note his shortcomings, they don't seem to be nearly as down on Lonzo as you do and see him as the bpa after Fultz. As far as fit, they say "His give-it-up-early style of play is certainly a major plus, but his struggles handling heavy ball pressure does suggest that he'll be best next to another guard who can play out of pick and roll and operate on the ball for stretches."Sounds like a good fit with with a scorer who can also play the point like DLo.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

Just read it. Although DX does note his shortcomings, they don't seem to be nearly as down on Lonzo as you do and see him as the bpa after Fultz. As far as fit, they say "His give-it-up-early style of play is certainly a major plus, but his struggles handling heavy ball pressure does suggest that he'll be best next to another guard who can play out of pick and roll and operate on the ball for stretches."Sounds like a good fit with with a scorer who can also play the point like DLo.

What 19 year old rookie will come into the league without holes in his game? Some of you act as though this kid should already be playing at the level of an all star. If he's 19 and there's no room for improvement you probably don't want him.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Hmmm but if Lonzo is LAL's guy why wouldn't they promise him unless they're not sure? Because if they're committed, why would they want him running around working out for other teams and risking some BS injury?

When have we ever made a promise? You're letting your personal feelings build a narrative.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Hmmm but if Lonzo is LAL's guy why wouldn't they promise him unless they're not sure? Because if they're committed, why would they want him running around working out for other teams and risking some BS injury?

When have we ever made a promise? You're letting your personal feelings build a narrative.

I don't know, just thinking it through quite honestly. I think I remember something coming out about Ingram a couple days before the draft last year.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

I'm not down on Lonzo...he is fun to watch! I'm a Lakers fan! And I'm looking @ the team as a whole. Dlo isn't great at handling ball pressure...and neither is Lonzo...
I like having a team that has several players who can get their own shot. Ingram looks to be one....and Clarkson can (after a million dribbles) I think we need a player who can really defend and finish....or penetrate at will. If I was Gm...I'd pick fox. That doesnt make Lonzo a bad player...just not my preference for the team I would like to have. Fox reminds me of 1 of my fav lakers...Van Exel...mixed with Westbrook.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject:

And the truth comes out. Fox is a mix of WB and NVE. Wow. NVE should not be the #2 pick. And Fox is NOT WB. Imagine a lighter, less speedy WB who shoots worse!
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
And the truth comes out. Fox is a mix of WB and NVE. Wow. NVE should not be the #2 pick. And Fox is NOT WB. Imagine a lighter, less speedy WB who shoots worse!

Van Exel had more impact on the Lakers his first 2 years than Dlo has had....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
epak wrote:

NVE was nearly 22 when he was drafted by the Lakers. DLO just turned 21. DLO was drafted and played at age 19, don't you think this matters?

I predict that DLO, at age 21 will be close to 18/5/5, and by age 22 (the year NVE was drafted), he will be closer to 20/5/5.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
epak wrote:

NVE was nearly 22 when he was drafted by the Lakers. DLO just turned 21. DLO was drafted and played at age 19, don't you think this matters?

I predict that DLO, at age 21 will be close to 18/5/5, and by age 22 (the year NVE was drafted), he will be closer to 20/5/5.

Aye. NVE should not be the #2 pick
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

That may be true....that may not be true....we will see. The poster stated nve shouldn't be a #2....but now since these #2s are 19 and 20....we have to wait 2-3 years for a considerable impact...which probably means the NBA is picking players too early...and not too many players are really worthy of their draft position.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
epak wrote:

Aye. NVE should not be the #2 pick

You can't say that in a vacuum...you can only say that when you compare who else is declaring for the draft.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
That may be true....that may not be true....we will see. The poster stated nve shouldn't be a #2....but now since these #2s are 19 and 20....we have to wait 2-3 years for a considerable impact...which probably means the NBA is picking players too early...and not too many players are really worthy of their draft position.

NVE was a 37th pick IIRC. Had some academic issues so he couldn't get into top schools. Did the JUCO route, and had a decent college run.

It's unfair that you pick and choose guys who are deemed "better" than DLO when unlike guys like NVE, he entered the league as a teenager. I would posit that DLO at age 22 will be better than NVE was at age 22.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
epak wrote:

That's some revisionist ish imo. I guess how the team was constructed back then doesn't matter and the fact NVE's 1st season the team won 33 games and his averages were 13.6pts, 5.8ast while shooting a mind blowing 39% from the field. ....#hottakesforthewin. 2nd Season he averaged 17 and 8 dimes while shooting 42% respectively but he also had better teammates that year when we acquired Cedric Ceballos and drafted Eddie Jones while still having a decent Vlade and a Elden Campbell who was just coming into his own at the time. Very different situations.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
epak wrote:

That's some revisionist ish imo. I guess how the team was constructed back then doesn't matter and the fact NVE's 1st season the team won 33 games and his averages were 13.6pts, 5.8ast while shooting a mind blowing 39% from the field. ....#hottakesforthewin. 2nd Season he averaged 17 and 8 dimes while shooting 42% respectively but he also had better teammates that year when we acquired Cedric Ceballos and drafted Eddie Jones while still having a decent Vlade and a Elden Campbell who was just coming into his own at the time. Very different situations.

Exactly. NVE was one of my fave guys in 1990s, but this incessant need to find players who were "better" than DLO is just tiring, especially using an example of a 22 year old rookie vs. a 19/20 year old one.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:

NVE was a 37th pick IIRC. Had some academic issues so he couldn't get into top schools. Did the JUCO route, and had a decent college run.

It's unfair that you pick and choose guys who are deemed "better" than DLO when unlike guys like NVE, he entered the league as a teenager. I would posit that DLO at age 22 will be better than NVE was at age 22.

I hope Dlo is better....but in a grown mans game you can't play this age card...once you make the league your impact should be felt. That attitude gives players a 2-3 year pass. Clearly there are other factors out of 1 players control that affect the team....but from day 1 you could trust some players (to produce...give their all..play through mistakes) and others its a curve
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject:

DLo thread that way.
This thread is about Lonzo > Fox.
Except to a couple of posters that is.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:

I hope Dlo is better....but in a grown mans game you can't play this age card...once you make the league your impact should be felt. That attitude gives players a 2-3 year pass. Clearly there are other factors out of 1 players control that affect the team....but from day 1 you could trust some players (to produce...give their all..play through mistakes) and others its a curve

No. That's what a rebuild is about. Ingram was clearly a child playing in a man's game last year, but we all gave him a pass b/c we can see he has a lot of tools. Same with DLO.

You can't compare a 22 year old rookie in the 1990s with a 19 year old today.

Very few guards drafted in the past 4-5 years meet your narrow and impossible standard. I would say only Kyrie has met that as a 19 year old, and his team was terrible.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

Just shows how infuriating Dlos game actually is

People in here trying to replace him when theres no PG prospect even close to him at his age group in the league

I think Lonzo will be perfect for him. Can just concentrate on being a scorer and secondary playmaker without needing to lead a NBA team. I see a breakout season for DLo
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

How has this turned about NVE and DLO??? This is the LONZO thread!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zcFVFhz6rU

Hmm... 0:45 - 0:51

Did anyone notice he's working on the form for when he goes right for the middie? That's actually really smooth and he didn't have to stop to reset himself. Any shot doctors see something else too?

Nice catch.

Lonzo is a smart gym rat. No worries about his ability to attack and improve his weak areas.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject:

If we draft Lonzo and he isn't Magic Johnson out the gate, we should be able to show the same patience we have for all our other young guys. Expect Lonzo to have his ups and downs just like every other rookie, but lets not forget how much of a double standard people have around here especially when the guy drafted wasn't their guy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 202, 203, 204 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 203 of 1688
Jump to: