Lakers trying to secure another pick?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Lakers trying to secure another pick?

Interesting they are trying to get another. I would assume it's for PG but maybe there is someone they really like?

Still, they don't have the assets to acquire a pick and get PG so who knows. Unless they do what I was saying and take on a gasol or someone's expiring in exchange for a first.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19676744/los-angeles-lakers-trying-acquire-another-first-round-pick-nba-draft

Quote:

The Lakers have engaged at least two teams in the lottery, sources said, as they search for players to improve their outside shooting and perimeter defense.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject:

Could be to package with #28 for PG 13 as well.

Trade JC for a first rounder. Use that, #28 and 2020 1st for PG 13.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:

Or they could try to package JC and the #28 to move up and get a lottery pick, and the Pacers might prefer that pick and the 2020 1st rather than, say, two picks right in the #28 range and the 2020 1st. I would assume that we would ask the Pacers which they would prefer. (Some teams might prefer two stabs at picks in the late 1st round range in this year's draft, but some might prefer to pick 10-15 picks higher with just 1 selection.)
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject:

I doubt it has anything to do with PG. Magic and Pelinca don't seem stupid to me, and they'd have to be stupid to trade anything of value for a guy who is coming anyway.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:
I doubt it has anything to do with PG. Magic and Pelinca don't seem stupid to me, and they'd have to be stupid to trade anything of value for a guy who is coming anyway.

Yup, I'm thinking they're looking for picks to pair with Mozgov or Deng to dump on Brooklyn.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:

While there's a chance that PG would sign with us in free agency, there is absolutely no guarantee that it happens. He's discouraged from the recent losing in Indiana (relatively speaking; remember that he was 1 game away from the NBA Finals a few years ago). What if he got traded to a team that has a good season and he ends up liking the city and the team and they get to then say, oh by the way, you get an extra $45-50MM from staying there, too?

I just don't think it's so cut-and-dried, so I think you have to take this and weigh the risks and the rewards. If you can get a player of his caliber now without giving up what I would consider to be any premium assets, I think it's reasonable to do. I definitely would NOT give up any premium assets for him as a player in the final year of his deal. Keep in mind that if you have him now, it might allow you to build a better team this offseason, which could better aid in 2018 free agency. And having his Bird rights really gives you a hammer on getting him to stay.
D's Advocate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject:

The sixers covet D'angelo Russel. They'd absolutely love to pair him with Simmons again and they probably can see his potential more than most teams. Bringing in Dlo also potentially increases the output of one of their prized assets in simmons. Philly is ready to move forward now so picking up a rookie isn't exactly going to help them with that. Philly also needs shooters and Dlo is a great shooter and can get insanely hot.

Lakers make a trade around sending Philly Dlo and the 28th in exchange for the #3 pick and okafor. Lakers get the #2 and #3 picks in this draft, philly gets dlo. Lakers see if a change of scenery can make Okafor useful to someone. Draft Fultz and ball, put Fultz at the 2, put okafor in a trash can and roll him down a hill.

That's when Kobe Bryant busts through the wall and announces that was hit by a meteor that sent his body back in time and that he's coming back in prime condition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject:

i think they are targeting Luke Kennard
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject:

D's Advocate wrote:
The sixers covet D'angelo Russel. They'd absolutely love to pair him with Simmons again and they probably can see his potential more than most teams. Bringing in Dlo also potentially increases the output of one of their prized assets in simmons. Philly is ready to move forward now so picking up a rookie isn't exactly going to help them with that. Philly also needs shooters and Dlo is a great shooter and can get insanely hot.

Lakers make a trade around sending Philly Dlo and the 28th in exchange for the #3 pick and okafor. Lakers get the #2 and #3 picks in this draft, philly gets dlo. Lakers see if a change of scenery can make Okafor useful to someone. Draft Fultz and ball, put Fultz at the 2, put okafor in a trash can and roll him down a hill.

That's when Kobe Bryant busts through the wall and announces that was hit by a meteor that sent his body back in time and that he's coming back in prime condition.

I'm going to assume that you are not aware that Philly has traded up with Boston to get the #1 overall pick and that they are going to take Fultz. He's the guy that they are going to pair with Simmons as another playmaker for their backcourt.
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
richmorgan12 wrote:

While there's a chance that PG would sign with us in free agency, there is absolutely no guarantee that it happens. He's discouraged from the recent losing in Indiana (relatively speaking; remember that he was 1 game away from the NBA Finals a few years ago). What if he got traded to a team that has a good season and he ends up liking the city and the team and they get to then say, oh by the way, you get an extra $45-50MM from staying there, too?

I just don't think it's so cut-and-dried, so I think you have to take this and weigh the risks and the rewards. If you can get a player of his caliber now without giving up what I would consider to be any premium assets, I think it's reasonable to do. I definitely would NOT give up any premium assets for him as a player in the final year of his deal. Keep in mind that if you have him now, it might allow you to build a better team this offseason, which could better aid in 2018 free agency. And having his Bird rights really gives you a hammer on getting him to stay.

There's no good reason to trade for a guy who is coming anyway. Unless you're trading garbage and Indiana isn't interested in garbage.

All this talk about Cleveland and Boston is rubbish. The ONLY team George would likely stay with other than the Lakers is Golden State. There's no motivation to stay in Cleveland or Boston because they're not beating Golden State.

So why would he stay in LA? Because he wants to play for the Lakers. How many times does he have to say it? He couldn't possibly have made that more clear. And anyone who falls for Indiana's posturing with Cleveland or any other team is a chump.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:

We haven't even worked out really any prospects in the 10-25 range though.. Signs point to it being trade bait
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
richmorgan12 wrote:

We haven't even worked out really any prospects in the 10-25 range though.. Signs point to it being trade bait

They've worked out multiple prospects in that range, players do get drafted without workouts, and trade bait doesn't imply Paul George.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject:

D's Advocate wrote:

That's when Kobe Bryant busts through the wall and announces that was hit by a meteor that sent his body back in time and that he's coming back in prime condition

I like the way you think
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:

If we are keeping this pick, who do you think we are trying to draft? I'd assumed pick would be in 10-15 range
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
If we are keeping this pick, who do you think we are trying to draft? I'd assumed pick would be in 10-15 range

We are working out Zach Collins today, so maybe him?
rancar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:

They probably are trying to get into the 7-10 range. Maybe Lauri Markkanen or Malik Monk range.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject:

richmorgan12 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
richmorgan12 wrote:

They've worked out multiple prospects in that range, players do get drafted without workouts, and trade bait doesn't imply Paul George.

no they haven't worked out multiple guys in that range. I believe Collins will be the first. Standard and competent protocol, is working out EVERYONE in that range, plus some.
Really screams of trade bait.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:

So Ramona says in the article that they're looking for perimeter defense and outside shooting with this later lottery pick.

My guess is that's Collins. I think he's an excellent pickup. Could also be one of Kennard or Mitchell. Justin Jackson's also hanging around.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
crucifixion wrote:

Can Zach Collins help us? I heard a lot of people like him as a prospect, who is he like in regards to playing style?
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:

LOL
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject:

Lakers want Fox.

That's why they want another pick.

They are willing to get a 2 for 1 deal with the #2 pick (Sacramento's 5/10 most likely).

#justlogicalspeculations
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject:

3 more days!
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject:

I think we may be targeting Miami's #14 pick.

Waiters will be a free agent and will want a big contract but they might not want to pay him.

Clarkson could replace him and at a cheaper price allowing them to have more cap space to sign other free agents.

JC and #28 for #14. With that pick get Mitchell, Jackson, Kennard, or Collins.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
I think we may be targeting Miami's #14 pick.

Waiters will be a free agent and will want a big contract but they might not want to pay him.

Clarkson could replace him and at a cheaper price allowing them to have more cap space to sign other free agents.

JC and #28 for #14. With that pick get Mitchell, Jackson, Kennard, or Collins.

Or send that to the Pacers for a PG13 trade.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
crucifixion wrote:

Can Zach Collins help us? I heard a lot of people like him as a prospect, who is he like in regards to playing style?

Myles Turner
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: