Post Draft Lottery Offseason Plan

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Post Draft Lottery Offseason Plan

Laker fans celebrate as we keep our pick and move up a spot to #2. After the draft lottery, management said a few things: (1) they want to build around Ingram and (2) they want to clear cap space for 2 free agents in 2018 while passing on 2017 free agency. Here is what they can do.

Clear Cap Space for 2018

1. Need to trade Deng or Mozgov for expiring contracts as they are the 2 biggest salaries in 2018. Here are some trades that may work.

Deng or Mozgov + 28 pick for Pekovic + Jordan Hill

Deng or Mozgov + 28 pick for Arron Afflalo + Langston Galloway

Deng + Randle for Cauley-Stein + Arron Afflalo + Langston Galloway

2. If Lakers can't trade both Deng or Mozgov (which is highly unlikely), they should use the CBA stretch provision to spread the remaining player's contract (Mozgov or Deng) over a 5 year period in 2018.

3. If Lakers keep the 28 selection, pick a PF. Possibly TJ Leaf (if he falls), Ivan Rabb, or DJ Wilson.

PG: #2 Pick Draft a PG (most likely Ball, ideally Fultz, possibly Fox or Jackson)
SG: Russell, Clarkson, Brewer, Nwaba,
SF: Ingram, Young
PF: Randle, Nance
C: Mozgov, Zubac, Black

Optional Pursue Playoffs in 2017-18

Lakers now must send their 2018 pick (unprotected) to the Sixers/Boston, thus there is extra incentive to win now and try to make playoffs.

4. Trade for Paul George (or another All Star, like Jimmy Butler). Updated: Now that Paul George told Pacers he will leave in free agency, they no longer have any leverage in trade talks. Lakers best option is to keep their players and sign Paul George as a free agent. If they are worried about him being traded and resigning with the new team, most I would offer is Clarkson and Young/Filler for Paul George.

Potential Team

PG: Ball, Galloway
SG: Russell, Brewer, Nwaba, Afflalo
SF: George, Ingram
PF: Randle, Nance
C: Mozgov, Zubac, Black

Bonus - Black, Galloway, Afflalo, Nwaba, Brewer are all free agents in 2018, which may leave enough room for Lakers to sign 1 free agent in 2018 (amount depends on how much they resign George for).

Draft Trade Down Options

Lakers may also trade down in the draft and have supposedly internally discussed trading with the Suns or Kings. Here are some trade options

2017 #2 for 2017 #5 and 2017 #10 - Kings probably will not do this trade unless they think Fox will be taken before #5.

2017 #2 and 2017 #28 for 2017 #5 and 2017 #10 - Maybe closer to even but advantage slightly to Kings now. This trade may make sense if Lakers don't want to have cap space tied up in 3 rookie contracts versus 2.

2017 #2, Randle, Deng for 2017 #5, 2017 #10, Cauley-Stein, Afflalo, Galloway - Lakers move down in draft an additional pick and unload Deng's contract at the heavy cost of trading Randle. This sets the Lakers up with 2018 salary cap space and a young defensive center in Cauley-Stein that is valued in today's game.

2017 #2 for 2017 #4 and 2018 pick - Lakers drop 2 spots and pick up an additional 2018 first round draft pick (Suns own their own pick and the Heat's pick protected 1-7 in 2018). Lakers would get the more unfavorable pick in 2018.

Last edited by chekmatex4 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:01 am; edited 5 times in total
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Not giving Randle, Clarkson and our #2 pick for PG. PERIOD!!

Way too much, for a guy who says he is going to leave his current team if they are not competing for rings and only wants to go to the Lakers if he leaves.

I say keep the #2 along with Ingram, DLO and Zubacs. Trade everyone else you can for another solid player and sign PG as a FA next year.

That leaves us with a solid team that will need to add a little depth.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Not giving Randle, Clarkson and our #2 pick for PG. PERIOD!!

Way too much, for a guy who says he is going to leave his current team if they are not competing for rings and only wants to go to the Lakers if he leaves.

I say keep the #2 along with Ingram, DLO and Zubacs. Trade everyone else you can for another solid player and sign PG as a FA next year.

That leaves us with a solid team that will need to add a little depth.
Yeah, that's part of the first plan without moving to the Optional portion. It all depends on what management wants to do. I'm saying that Randle, Clarkson, #2 would be my maximum threshhold for a PG trade, Of course he would have to agree to an extension before hand so we don't risk losing him for nothing, otherwise wait for 2018 and keep our assets in place.
SOLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Here's my off-season plan:

1. Draft Lonzo with the #2 pick

2. Draft a "draft and stash" guy. Tell him to wait one year, and he will be brought on next year. The Lakers don't need another young player this year. Bringing him on board in 18-19 would be fine since we don't have any draft picks that year.

3. Use our cap space to trade for Pau Gasol and a #1 pick. I think the Spurs realize that Gasol can't help them get past the Warriors. So they send him to the Lakers along with a top 24 protected pick in the 2018 or 2019 draft. Gasol provides much needed perimeter shooting from the center position.

4. Offer Nick Young a one year near max contract. The team needs shooting, but can't afford to sign anyone to a multiyear contract. Bringing Nick Young back provides perimeter shooting along with familiarity with the offense. Hopefully, the fact that it is a one year contract keeps Nick Young focused on 2018 free agency.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

Lonzo at #2.

DLO/Swaggy/28th for Butler.

JC/Randle/Future picks for PG.

Sign Pau Gasol to a two year contract. Let him finish his career in LA.

2017/2018 Lakers. Playoffs for sure.

Lonzo Ball/Ennis
Jimmy Butler/Nwaba
Paul George/Ingram
Larry Nance Jr./Robinson
Pau Gasol/Zubac/Black
Lakerfan#37
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Draft lonzo and bell
Trade Randle and mozgov to nets for brook lopez
Trade Russell to phil for #3, draft josh Jackson
Resign nick if opts out, if cheap

Ball, ennis, bpa
Clarkson, young, nwaba
Ingram, Jackson, brewer
Nance, bell, deng
Lopez, zubac, black

Randle about to breakout for rfa. Lopez has a few good years in him and can resign him if we can get pg next year.
Dlo might see lonzo as a threat as alpha, therefore sees no need for us to Draft him. Jackson will bring defense, intensity and another greyhound to run w lonzo
Nick would benefit from lonzo passing
Not sure there would be a taker for deng. Maybe wolves, but would have to throw in a pick...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

That is a worse team than just doing nothing but adding our two draft picks.
Lakerfan#37
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

I see your point, vlf. I'm just concerned with our defense. Lonzo will push the tempo on offense. He will make those around him better. Jackson and bell will improve our defense greatly. I prefer Jackson and Lopez to Dlo, Moz, and Randle is what it comes down to, I guess. Ennis and young are probably gone. We need to add some shooters. A couple years together, a couple good signings (pg13), could make us contenders.
Lonzo, Clarkson
Jackson, nwaba
Pg, Ingram, brewer
Nance, Bell, deng
lopez, zubac, black
Or
Lonzo, Clarkson
Dlo, nwaba
Pg, Ingram, deng
Randle, nance, bell
Mozgov, zubac, black

I like our team's chances of making playoffs next year even without pg!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject:

Yes, we need Mr. Softy to come here and finish his career (NOT)...!
Lakerfan#37
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

Lopez is 29yrs old and played 75 games last year.
20.5pts, 5.4rbs, 2.3ast, 1.7blk.
His career rebounding is over 7.
I'd take him over Moz.
Can stretch the floor and hit threes.
He'll be a free agent after next season.
He's from n Hollywood, but expressed willingness to stay in Brooklyn.
I doubt nets would trade Lopez for Moz and #28 only, unless they feel they could lose him to free agency. I think Moz and randle are players nets would do for brook. I doubt he'll play soft before becoming a free agent.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

This whole thread is cracking me up, 99% are moves that would ruin us for the next 20 years.
Lakerfan#37
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

99%? 20yrs? Okay wino, it's a little early, don't you think?
We would have lonzo, clarkson, ingram, jackson, nance, bell, and zub. Possibly pg.
Not sure how that is ruined. Can't be as bad as the last few years.
Or as bad as, howard, nash, hibbert, moz, or deng.
Maybe we keep randle and moz, but I like Jackson over dlo.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

This whole thread is cracking me up, 99% are moves that would ruin us for the next 20 years.

Then here is my plan. Draft BPA at 2 and draft BPA at 28. Sign a vet FA guard, then go to camp.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Then here is my plan. Draft BPA at 2 and draft BPA at 28. Sign a vet FA guard, then go to camp.
Lakers can't/shouldn't sign any free agent to large contracts for more than 1 year because Magic's plan is to have maximum cap space for 2018. To meet this goal, Lakers should trade Deng/Mozgov for multiple smaller, expiring contracts.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

With the draft 2 days away, here's what I would call a perfect pre-draft plan.

1. Trade down in draft: 2017 #2 for 2017 #4 and 2018 pick - Lakers drop 2 spots and pick up an additional 2018 first round draft pick (Suns own their own pick and the Heat's pick protected 1-7 in 2018). Lakers would get the more unfavorable pick in 2018. Hopefully Lakers get Ball but I will settle for Fox.

2. Trade Randle for Cauley-Stein and #10 Pick. This will clear up Randle's 2018 salary cap hold of $12 million and give us an additional pick and young, defensive center in modern NBA.

3. Trade Deng and #28 Pick for Pekovic and Hill. Clear up salary cap for 2018.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: