Laker Reflections

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker Junkie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Laker Reflections

As I reflect on yesterday's trade and couldnt sleep last night, I reached the following conclusions. I hate to be negative. But, please tell me how Im wrong and why.

- We dont develop players. Look at KFT, that was a pure embarrassment for 81 games. Byron was hired to be a babysitter. Unreal. And, we wasted the development of the rookie years of Randle and Dlo. We literally screwed up a talented #2 pick.

- We only care about profit, rings are an afterthought. Look at KFT. Look at the free agents we are looking at for 2018. PG is an inefficient and overrated scorer. DMC is a inefficient and overrated scorer. Plus, why spend money on a center in the modern NBA. Westbrook is a ball dominant inefficient scorer. And he is the exact opposite of how to play and win in this league also. Lebron is 34 and will be on his last legs. He will demand we trade BI or lonzo for a veteran, assuming they are not already traded for PG13. Its his MO. Any mix of these guys with the youngsters will not win a ring. I promise.

- Walton honeymoon is now over. He wanted Mozgov. And, he didnt push back on a Russell trade. We did Pick and Roll basketball, rather than having cuts and off ball movement as the basis for the offense. Defense and defensive teachings are nonexistent. His coaches are buddies, but not necessarily good coaches. Hung on to Lou Will and JC for way too long.

- Ownership may be even worse than we thought. Jim Buss was a major problem. But, Jeanie just may be an even bigger problem disguised by her political savvy. Yet, she will be more profitable. She mistakes activity for accomplishment.

- Lonzo and BI. They better be HOF and lead us to a ring. Somehow. Someway. I need a reason to watch.

- Magic. Isaiah. Jordan. Bird. Their greatest strengths are their greatest weaknesses. They need to compete. Now.

P.S. Someone wake me up from this nightmare.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

You couldn't SLEEP because this trade? THIS trade?? The one that happened last night??

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I wish I could say something to make you feel better but I agree. I just gave away my summer league tickets for the 7th and 8th and my hotel room. I honestly can't find a reason to be excited about this upcoming season either. My whole life ive looked forward to basketball season. In fact, I was accepted to every college I applied to and decided to go to CSULB because at the time they held NBA summer league. I went to a cal stat for Christ sake...for laker basketball. (bleep) you magic for taking this from me
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Laker Reflections

Laker Junkie wrote:

- Walton honeymoon is now over. He wanted Mozgov. And, he didnt push back on a Russell trade. We did Pick and Roll basketball, rather than having cuts and off ball movement as the basis for the offense. Defense and defensive teachings are nonexistent. His coaches are buddies, but not necessarily good coaches. Hung on to Lou Will and JC for way too long.

Completely agree. He had his ups and downs, but didn't show improvement throughout the season. I can wait 3 or 4 years fora player to show results, but not a coach. It will be unacceptable if we don't have a decent defensive system, at least.
Laker Junkie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
You couldn't SLEEP because this trade? THIS trade?? The one that happened last night??

Yes. The trade was incompetent. If you hate Dlo, I dont care. You wait until you have a big free agent signing and trade him after. Like the Spurs did with LA. Like the Warriors did with Durant. That is what competent organizations do.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Laker Reflections

Eindhoven wrote:
Laker Junkie wrote:

Completely agree. He had his ups and downs, but didn't show improvement throughout the season. I can wait 3 or 4 years fora player to show results, but not a coach. It will be unacceptable if we don't have a decent defensive system, at least.

I agree with the OP aside from this. What team of youngsters with a no-D vet like Lou hogging minutes plays D? How is a supposedly great defensive coach Thibs doing getting his kids to play D?

It takes a while for them to learn. This is what I liked about our rebuild with the kids. If the FO had the patience Luke could have taken this young group and molded them into a killer unit. Just like Pop has done in SA.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject:

I almost couldn't sleep for the opposite reasons, I was expecting a trade for Paul George.

I'm really excited about the draft and the possibility to trade for a legit player.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Laker Junkie wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Yes. The trade was incompetent. If you hate Dlo, I dont care. You wait until you have a big free agent signing and trade him after. Like the Spurs did with LA. Like the Warriors did with Durant. That is what competent organizations do.

Oh like when the Lakers traded for Kobe?? How old are you, 19?? We hadn't secured Shaq when we traded away our All-Star center for a 17 year old kid. And I don't hate DLO at all, btw. In fact, I was one of the few people in these LG streets defending him over that whole Nick Young so-called snitching nonsense. DLO hasn't shown me enough for me invest my sanity into him one way or another. And this isn't even about DLO per se. This is about you jumping the shark onto the crazy train...over DLO.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Laker Reflections

Laker Junkie wrote:
As I reflect on yesterday's trade and couldnt sleep last night, I reached the following conclusions. I hate to be negative. But, please tell me how Im wrong and why.

- We dont develop players. Look at KFT, that was a pure embarrassment for 81 games. Byron was hired to be a babysitter. Unreal. And, we wasted the development of the rookie years of Randle and Dlo. We literally screwed up a talented #2 pick.

The KFT was a couple seasons ago now. I would agree that the KFT season wasn't about player development, but last year was, and the players did develop. DLo, Nance, Randle were all better than the year before.

Quote:
- We only care about profit, rings are an afterthought. Look at KFT. Look at the free agents we are looking at for 2018. PG is an inefficient and overrated scorer. DMC is a inefficient and overrated scorer. Plus, why spend money on a center in the modern NBA. Westbrook is a ball dominant inefficient scorer. And he is the exact opposite of how to play and win in this league also. Lebron is 34 and will be on his last legs. He will demand we trade BI or lonzo for a veteran, assuming they are not already traded for PG13. Its his MO. Any mix of these guys with the youngsters will not win a ring. I promise.

Rings = more profit, so by your logic the Lakers probably are pursuing profit. You may disagree with their tactics, but you would have to assume that they want to win.

And since you think most current all-stars than can be signed next summer are bad, overrated, etc., then perhaps you can suggest an alternate approach to building a title-caliber roster that would help.

Quote:

If we fire Luke after 2 seasons with a young and incomplete roster, no decent coach will EVER want to sign up with the Lakers. You can pin some sort of arbitrary expectations on him, but he's our coach for at least 2-3 seasons more (and hopefully for 15-20 seasons).

Quote:
- Ownership may be even worse than we thought. Jim Buss was a major problem. But, Jeanie just may be an even bigger problem disguised by her political savvy. Yet, she will be more profitable. She mistakes activity for accomplishment.

It's not clear that she had any role in this trade. She simply hired people she felt could do the job, and are trusting them to do it. Is there info that we all lack about the current setup that you want to share with us?
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

I remember being younger and getting really consumed especially around the time Shaq and Kobe feud .

Its going to be okay. Relax.

Ask yourself this;
Who of the young laker core is the player you absolutely love? Which player is the one you'd follow even if traded?

And I'm not even thinking Kobe/magic type of love. Is there anyone you love at maybe Odom level?

I dont hate our core, but I realized I dont love them like that

I'm upset with what looks like poor planning. The execution and timing is what upset me. Not that Russell is gone...

But it'll be fine.
Let it play out completely first
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: