Expectations For Lonzo Ball.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
I expect Brook Lopez to have a career best year playing with Lonzo.

doesn't sound like either of those guys are going to be on the Lakers
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
I expect Brook Lopez to have a career best year playing with Lonzo.

Rich man's Thomas Welsh?
Moises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Seriously guys, don't get too attached to Lonzo. Magic is going to do something stupid.

All that hype about landing that #2 pick just to possibly have it move by the time draft starts for a bag of chips.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

12 pts
6 ast
4 reb

46% FG
38% 3
65% FT

30 mins. gm
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Iversondalivest1 wrote:
Maybe jules will be shooting half court 3s in no time?

Like Bynum?
richmorgan12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
I don't expect much tbh. Not because I dont like the kid but he's a kid. its gonna take awhile. If he balls out from day one and makes an immediate impact great, but I wont be surprised if he comes in and struggles too.

And Jesus Christ, that shot.

What if he blows all of us away and becomes the next magic or kidd? This kid has been brought up to play basketball, and understands the game in a different way. He's also been brought up to respect others and work hard.

He's not talented enough to ever be Magic.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
12 pts
6 ast
4 reb

46% FG
38% 3
65% FT

30 mins. gm
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Being real, he's going to struggle a lot. He's a rookie PG, and the killers at that position will eat him alive for a while. But there will be enough good games and highlight plays to make believers of the fans, I think.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
What just happened is really interesting. I was never an English major and so words get lost in translation, and I can't perfectly articulate the disappointment in the Russell trade. But I guess the disappointment stems from this being the first time in all my years of following the Lakers, that they traded away a prospect without knowing exactly yet what he will or will not be. I guess if you live long enough, you will experience everything.

I never cared about our young prospects because we were too busy winning and counting chips. The first time I started caring and the first young prospect I was attached to was Vlade Divac. That was because Showtime was winding down, and Kareem retired. Nobody was excited about Mychal Thompson. He was already old and we already knew he was a career role player. So we were all excited about Vlade and he proved to have upside in his rookie year. We were able to enjoy him for 7 yrs. I didn't mind dealing him to clear way for 25 yrs old Shaq, and this 18 yr old high school kid named Kobe Bryant. But between Vlade and Kobe, there were George Lynch, Nick Van Excel, Anthony Peeler and Eddie Jones. We got to enjoy them for a bit, they formed the LAKE SHOW of the 90's. My attachment and hopeful aspirations for Nick and Eddie would be equivalent to Russell and Ingram or something. BTW, Lynch and Peeler were also part of the cap clearing for Shaq. It didn't hurt as much because of what we were getting back, and we had also seen enough to know that Lynch, Peeler were going to be role players. Vlade was going to continue being a solid starting center in the league.

Then when we didn't win with Shaq and fingers started pointing, out goes Nick and Eddie. Again those departures didn't hurt because we've already seen what they were and were not, and we were all excited about clearing minutes for Kobe. Then comes Andrew Bynum 2005. He were all stoked at his improvements and what a monster he was going to become. By the time we got rid of him, we saw enough inconsistencies, knee issues, etc. And we were being sold on Howard/Nash/Kobe dream team. It kept us occupied, and not too upset.

Then comes Julius, Russell, Ingram and here we are. We just gave away the struggles of the 2014 season, all in the name of dumping a contract. A 21 yr old kid with tremendous upside. First time in my 30+ yrs following Lakers, we gave up on somebody without clearly knowing what he is or isn't. Every home grown that we traded away that I listed above were all 25 yrs or older and we had already seen enough. This kid is 21. The Lakers have benefited from other teams plucking them for their vets, then turn around and draft guys like Magic, Worthy, Kobe. I just have a feeling this trade is going to haunt us. It's going to be one of those stories for the Nets. About how we plucked them for an expiring vet in exchange for this 21 yr old kid, who ends up being a great player.

And why I'm especially upset is because it's not for something I believe in. I believed in a 25 yr old 300 pound dominant center. Yes, do all we can to get this guy from Orlando! Having watched 20 yrs of Kobe, I do not believe in Paul George, and I do not believe in this plan to match up George with some other max guy, all in the name of being COMPETITIVE. The end result of this plan by Magic and Rob, if all things go well, is that we're going to sell tickets and be competitive. You're not beating the Warriors, and PG13 will age in parallel with the guys in GS. If Lebron is our other guy, he already has one foot in retirement.

Ultimately, we'll only know how to truly feel about this trade in a couple years. Heck, maybe this upcoming season will give us the answer. If D'LO is still around 13 pts, questions about attitude in NJ, I won't feel as bad. If he blows up in New Jersey. Then I will feel exactly as I do today.

And to answer the thread's question. Whoever we draft at #2 will get my support, and I will have high expectations for him as I did for all the draft picks in our history.

The Lakers had an incredible run under Dr. Buss and the Logo where young talent bridged dynasties and kept the franchise out of the lottery all but 2-3 seasons in thirty some years. The hit rate in the draft, trades, and free agency was incredible.

Bottoming out without a clear plan or cohesion in the front office can be disastrous, and the Lakers have been in constant tension since Dr. Buss' passing and then since Kobe's achilles injury between doing things "The Laker Way" and humbly following a path back to success through years of losses and the draft. Trading Russell to chase stars in 2018 with a cocky swagger and Magic's megawatt smile is "The Lakers Way," or at least Jeannie's interpretation of how things should be done to restore the franchise to its rightful lofty perch in her mind. I think a lot of talent and hard work (and luck) went into not only achieving the Lakers' success, but sustaining it that was the nuts and bolts foundation to the outward glitz and glamour of Showtime. It now feels like this FO is trying to shortcut their way to the glitz without solidifying their foundation first, which leads to a perpetual treadmill of chasing big names that has plagued the Knicks.

And I think there's a question of whether the appearance of championship competitiveness won't be sufficient for ownership despite constant lip service to the championship or bust competitive mentality of Dr. Buss. There's nothing wrong with being a successful playoff franchise that puts more emphasis on not being bad than it does on being the best - taking that approach is a bit disappointing, but understandable given the bottom line value of a good, solid Lakers team with a couple of name stars. But I worry that star chasing process is going to be a superficial high for several years before they settle into paying 60-win money for 35-win mediocrity.

Or maybe DLo's a malcontent bust whose trade freed up salary that will result in the Lakers franchise rising like a phoenix from the ashes. I guess we'll see.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject:

New expectation... Recruit Lebron and have Rihanna front row at all our home games.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

The rookie assist record is 868 assists by Mark Jackson. I'll be happy if Lonzo gets 700 or more.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
12 pts
6 ast
4 reb

46% FG
38% 3
65% FT

30 mins. gm

That'd be a successful rookie year. I doubt he can post thoses percentages though. Actually pretty sure he won't.
underdogsgv
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Elfrid Payton, an unremarkable below avg pg who has been thoroughly lambasted and criticized around the league and even by his own fanbase, avged 9/4/6 on 42% shooting his rookie year as a 20 yr old a couple of yrs ago. I'd like it if Lonzo exceeded that production as a heavily hyped 19 yr old.
#32 is the greatest Laker ever.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
deal wrote:
I expect him to come off the bench at first...

Clarkson is our only other guard.

He'll be somewhere else before 1st game tip-off.

Last edited by rogers49 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject:

I think he can be a culture changer in his first season.

He will make some mistakes, but I look for a noticeable difference on the floor in tempo, effort and cohesion right away.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject:

14 pts 7.5 ast 4.5 rebs 48% fg 39% 3pfg in 34 mins a night

he will earn the minutes and be given the minutes needed to flourish
LonzoBall
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject:

19ppg/7.8apg/5.1rpg
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

Raiders motto. "Just win baby"
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject:

12/6/4, 36% on 3s. Sort of in DLO's 1st year territory minus all the drama.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

Playoffs
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject:

Lonzo will be pushed into a starting role right off the bat imo. If Ennis is still around he'll be a capable if not spectacular backup, but Lonzo has a huge load on his shoulders if the Lakers want to win more games than they did last year.

I don't think PG will be here until next year. BI will be much improved, but not a finished product. Our SG situation is Clarkson, Brewer, Hart and Dozier as it stands. That means a choice between scoring, defense, or playing rookies at that position. We're deep at PF but not with O/S shooting unless Deng becomes Deng again. Randle needs to show he can compliment and play off Lonzo's strengths, and Nance could thrive off cuts but needs that outside shot. Depending on Randle this could be very good or very bad. Brook Lopez can score though.

I'd say at best 11 pts, 7 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 turnovers and a lot of undue criticism because we're lotto territory with Boston picking.

If Lonzo proves me wrong with the supporting cast he has I'd say he's worth all the hype and then some.
zoom K083
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject:

9ppg
5 apg
4 rpg
~34% from 3

And a handful of games flirting with a triple double
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject:

if he doesn't lead the league in assists by year 3 he's a bust
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I expect him to be the main reason why I'm excited about the Lakers for the foreseeable future.

Same
zoom K083
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
if he doesn't lead the league in assists by year 3 he's a bust

I actually don't want him leading the league in apg. Nowadays, leading the league in Apg often means only one point of attack. I'd be happy if he peaked at around 7 - 8 apg
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: