Paul George - Restructuring Option if Traded to Lakers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Paul George - Restructuring Option if Traded to Lakers

Hey all,

Here's what I wrote earlier today:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2716884-breaking-down-dangelo-russell-trade-lakers-path-to-paul-george-lebron-james

Part of why Paul George may want Lakers? Their cap room to restructure contract to max + extension @BleacherReport

Cheers

Eric
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject:

So basically, the Lakers are better off trading Randle since they would likely renounce his rights after the season anyway? For a shot at LBJ, i'm all for it...
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject:

1. Trade Randle, Clarkson, #27 and #28 for George

2. Sign players like Ennis, Young, TRob, other free agents to one year contracts

Then next off season...

1. Renounce all free agents (other than George) on roster

2. Stretch Deng's contract

Lakers salaries would be at approximately 97 million WITH George for 32 million and James for 36 million. We would still be about 5 million under the cap, probably more under the cap, depending on what George's cap hold is.
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:

2. Sign players like Ennis, Young, TRob, other free agents to one year contracts

Then next off season...

Lakers salaries would be at approximately 97 million WITH George for 32 million and James for 36 million. We would still be about 5 million under the cap, probably more under the cap, depending on what George's cap hold is.

And you are HOPING that Lebron at 34 chooses to come here (and lakers will pay him a max deal for 4 years, and who knows how much he has left in the tank then). If the lakers continue with these stupid moves, PG may change his mind about signing here.
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject:

Wouldn't it have made more sense to see how Dlo could play with Ball? Lakers could always do a salary dump by trading deadline - what was the rush?
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject:

foreveralakerfan wrote:

HOPING that Lebron at 34 chooses to come here (and lakers will pay him a max deal for 4 years, and who knows how much he has left in the tank then).

Crazy ain't it.

Magic just tore up 3 years of building with impulse moves for a chance at an old man at that point.

LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:

Then next off season...

Why would LBJ want to join PG/Ball/Ingram while he can find a better supporting cast elsewhere? He would be a laugh stock if eliminated by the Warriors in the first or second round.

The only approach is to clear Deng at the same time, and LBJ finds another super friend to share the cap space(55-60M in my estimation) with him.

The point is not really about LBJ. It could be Westbrook or Cousins or any other all star who want to form their own super team.

I just don't like putting all the eggs in that strategy though. You need to find two stars who are willing to take less than max/market value. In that scenario, the players dictate while the team can not do much other than praying.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
foreveralakerfan wrote:

HOPING that Lebron at 34 chooses to come here (and lakers will pay him a max deal for 4 years, and who knows how much he has left in the tank then).
Crazy ain't it.

Magic just tore up 3 years of building with impulse moves for a chance at an old man at that point.
LeBron an old man is better than 90% of every NBA player that would attract other stars - if he decides to come.

Ball, PG13, LeBron, Lopez/Mosgov, BI, JC/Swaggy, Nance, etc. - good start
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
giordan0 wrote:
foreveralakerfan wrote:

Crazy ain't it.

LeBron an old man is better than 90% of every NBA player that would attract other stars - if he decides to come.

LeBron ain't coming. He knows that team doesn't stand a chance against the Warriors and knows only delusional fans trying to convince themselves Magic can do no wrong and HAS to be better than Mitch and Jim must have a master plan in the works that's fullproof think otherwise
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
giordan0 wrote:
foreveralakerfan wrote:

Crazy ain't it.

Do you think old Lebron is as effective as old Kareem?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject:

This strikes me as a stab at one title at the expense of building a dynasty. 2 aging players absorbing a huge chunk of salary.

I still don't understand the logic in tossing draft picks and young core players aside to get a guy right now who says he's coming here for free next summer.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject:

Great we are getting older and more expensive by the minute with little chance of beating the Warriors.

I can't believe how the FO trashed DLO and then wondered why no one wanted to trade for him. Dumb a$$es.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:

Emplay, did you read Medina's news that the trade involving PG13 is at a standstill... should we take to much out of that report?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
This strikes me as a stab at one title at the expense of building a dynasty. 2 aging players absorbing a huge chunk of salary.

I still don't understand the logic in tossing draft picks and young core players aside to get a guy right now who says he's coming here for free next summer.

You Sir are correct! LeBron will be 34 with TONS of mileage. You can't plan on him being our future because he is already the past.

Magic has no clue. I am so sad.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject:

I won't be surprised if they eat another key asset to move Deng's salary while also trading for PG13 now. They want to shed the bloated MozDeng cap space as well as trading additional existing salary to absorb George and the right's to max him for 5 seasons. You acquire a legit star right now as well as paving the way financially to add another marquee talent next summer.

If they pull the trigger on a PG13 trade now as well as moving out Deng's salary within whatever time required, then I'll at least understand what they're aiming for. No reason to bring in George and then not be able to add another top player beside him. Can't go out and sign a top player (LeBron or other) in 2018 unless they have the available cap space to make it happen.

However, if they don't have something lined up to move Deng's salary, then no idea what the FO is doing. For my part, I'm not overly excited about bringing past prime James. He'll already have yet another long season with Cleveland worth of mileage on his body at 34 when he would come.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject:

Yep LeBron already has major miles, record setting I believe, and you know he will make it out of the EC again next year. Frankly if they go that route I would prefer someone younger (Westbrook, Cousins?)

With that said this plan seems like a recipe for a 1-2 year window and even then it won't be enough to top Golden State unless both Ingram and Ball both turn into immediate stars which is highly unlikely. This is the mistake the Cavs made dealing most of their assets/young players for established players and now they are stuck with little chance of getting past GS and no assets to improve. Let that sink in...a team with LeBron and Kyrie and Love couldn't make a series against Golden State.
Luke saw firsthand how the Warriors were slowly built developing their young guys and adding free agents without trading out any of their important young prospects/assets.

Personally I take the chance and just wait until next year to sign PG as a FA which would've been alot easier before he announced he was leaving Indiana regardless next offseason. Maybe I deal Clarkson + Randle if they are not planning to extend him but looking at this draft I really don't even want to give up both 27 and 28. The Lakers can definitely find good players in that range this year if they've been doing their homework. Remember the Warriors found Dray Green even later that that.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject:

I would rather lose without Lebron than win with him.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

hopefully, Magic will come to his senses and limit the damage.

Selling the farm to get Paul George is the biggest mistake. It will
be have a star but no supporting cast. And Paul George will want to get traded because the lakers are a lottery team.

At least DLO could shoot. And he was at a reasonable contract.
And he fit the young core that if kept together would have been a playoff team in two years.

It seems like the Lakers are too impatient. And it will cost them.
Magic is following the same path as Mitch and Jim, where they think the Lakers will attract FA like a magnet.
Actually the opposite was true. And nothing has changed. The Lakers just have to be patient and continue to build one step at a time.

Build one star at a time until you get there. The Lakers do not hold the cards for a magical rebuild.

Magic may go down in Laker history as the worst GM. Only thing that can save him is temperance. Learn to be patient and don't try to do it all at once.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
scoobs wrote:

Then next off season...

Why would LBJ want to join PG/Ball/Ingram while he can find a better supporting cast elsewhere? He would be a laugh stock if eliminated by the Warriors in the first or second round.

The only approach is to clear Deng at the same time, and LBJ finds another super friend to share the cap space(55-60M in my estimation) with him.

The point is not really about LBJ. It could be Westbrook or Cousins or any other all star who want to form their own super team.

I just don't like putting all the eggs in that strategy though. You need to find two stars who are willing to take less than max/market value. In that scenario, the players dictate while the team can not do much other than praying.

It's hard to see why Lebron comes here unless (1) we land George first; (2) Ingram has a huge jump that brings him to the verge of being an all-star; and (3) Ball, assuming we draft him, plays at a rookie Kyrie Irving level.

So a lot has to happen before we come close to the level of the Cavaliers.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

You Sir are correct! LeBron will be 34 with TONS of mileage. You can't plan on him being our future because he is already the past.

Magic has no clue. I am so sad.

Going after a 34 year guy is always a risk. However, the only way we get him is if our team is immediately ready to contend when he joined. And if Ingram and our #2 picks look amazing, and he plays at an MVP level again next year, I think you pull the trigger. Because it wouldn't be about the future, it would be about the present.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

foreveralakerfan wrote:
scoobs wrote:

Then next off season...

And you are HOPING that Lebron at 34 chooses to come here (and lakers will pay him a max deal for 4 years, and who knows how much he has left in the tank then). If the lakers continue with these stupid moves, PG may change his mind about signing here.

More likely you would choose not to post here and that is a win win for all of us!!!
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

foreveralakerfan wrote:
Wouldn't it have made more sense to see how Dlo could play with Ball? Lakers could always do a salary dump by trading deadline - what was the rush?

woulda shoulda coulda!!

It's over, move on!!
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
foreveralakerfan wrote:

Crazy ain't it.

Lebron is still playing for rings. Jabbar played for rings until he was 40, Lebron may be a more solid physical specimen than Jabbar. Could easily play at a high level until he is 40.

Never the less, if he retires in 4 years, not a bad thing. We will have PG13, Ingram and Ball. Nice balance of ages that will allow us to cycle players into our system. Lebron goes, we find another who wants to play with these guys, then PG retires and we do the same.

This is how our Showtime team stayed relevant for so many years. We mixed youth with experience. We tried doing that with Deng and Moz but they just were not the right guys.

I believe that our team needs age balance, youth vs experience. Bringing in Lebron does NOT make us old, it makes us balanced.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE.

WHY LeBRON WOULD WANT TO PLAY IN LOS ANGELES

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

In following up on a report that the Boston Celtics could do an extend-and-trade agreement with Paul George and the Indiana Pacers if they manage to sign Gordon Hayward in free agency, Albert Nahmad explained why the scenario makes financial sense.

Under that scenario, George would increase his 17-18 salary from $19.5 million to the $29.7 million maximum and then extend for two additional years, which would mean $94 million over three years.

If George were to wait for six months after the trade, he could extend for four years at $169 million. But Boston would be required to keep the cap space necessary to increase George's salary to the max, which is $10.2 million.

On the renegotiation and extension deal, George would add $74 million over just two seasons and he would be instantly eligible for a 10-year veteran max at 35 percent in the 2020 offseason when he will have turned 30 that May.

While George has preferred to join the Los Angeles Lakers, he can compete for a title with the Celtics while having a financial incentive in both the short-term and long-term. If the Lakers don't trade for George, they can only offer him a four-year deal in 2018 with five percent raises.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246460/Paul-Georges-RE-Would-Be-$94M-Over-Three-Years-Expires-When-Eligible-For-35-Percent-Max

So PG's wants to be traded to get a lot more money. Makes sense for him but it also means it does not have to be the Lakers if money is the key factor. Now I understand why he speaks out so earlier and why borderline contenders are not scared off cause there is a strong possibility he signs extension.

I am afraid the FO's new/old two-max strategy will yield the same result-- nothing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: