GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Jim and Mitch gave us parting gifts that are going to bite us for a few more years. We are stuck with these guys unless we offer a big carrot with their hideous contracts. I am afraid we will never be able to move them.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Jim and Mitch gave us parting gifts that are going to bite us for a few more years. We are stuck with these guys unless we offer a big carrot with their hideous contracts. I am afraid we will never be able to move them.

There have been contracts over the years that seemed immovable that ended up moving. If they are moved it'll most likely be a 3 team trade to help salaries match. MozDeng aren't completely useless, and if anything, they're good locker room guys.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

There have been contracts over the years that seemed immovable that ended up moving. If they are moved it'll most likely be a 3 team trade to help salaries match. MozDeng aren't completely useless, and if anything, they're good locker room guys.

They are supposed to be good locker room guys, Deng from all accounts is an amazing individual and one of the best guys you could have in a locker room.

We are stuck with the contracts for this next season for sure. But after 2018, when they only have 2 years remaining, we can be in a position to stretch one and or get a taker in a trade as salary ballast.

I think this is why Magic is saying we are not going to be be big players in FA market this season. We are stuck with them, but if we could get one off the books like I said above, we should be able to clear space to land a good FA who will actually want to play with our improving core.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Sorry, but I disagree. They have negative value. Unless we give up an asset to a team to take on their contract (and most likely take back another useless player with a smaller contract), the only way we are getting rid of them is via the stretch provision.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Sorry, but I disagree. They have negative value. Unless we give up an asset to a team to take on their contract (and most likely take back another useless player with a smaller contract), the only way we are getting rid of them is via the stretch provision.

Who knows? The Bucks traded Plumlee which seemed equally immovable
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

The painful part is even if we wait these contracts out, it won't matter. By then we'll be over the cap (or close to it) with extensions for our young guys. We had a small window before Randle and DLO kick-in, and that's gone now, unless by some miracle we are able to trade Mizdeng for space/expiring.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

The painful part is even if we wait these contracts out, it won't matter. By then we'll be over the cap (or close to it) with extensions for our young guys. We had a small window before Randle and DLO kick-in, and that's gone now, unless by some miracle we are able to trade Mizdeng for space/expiring.

Great post!
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Daphanabe wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Great post!

waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject:

My fear is that Deng will officially become a $18 million dollar a year bum. He has gotten his big payday, losing is hard, the system is not ideal for him, and maybe he really doesn't like living and playing in LA. To top that off, he is not starting and the second unit last year, while the bench effective, was very ball-hoggish by Lou Williams and Jordan Clarkson.

He may have been hurt, and his real age, may even be older than MWP. His best bet is the Lakers in cleaning house (if they can't find a way to trade Deng) trade other PF players like Randle and Nance, to carve out more playing time for Deng.

Now in my mind, I don't think he is physically capable of playing well enough and giving us the kind of positive stats a fan like me expects an $18 million dollar a year player to make. I mean those are basically in the conversation for all-star voting stats, to earn that amount of coin.

Last year Deng played about 26 minutes and averaged 7 points and 5 boards I believe. At least for me he has to show 12 points and 6 boards, a positive attitude, and show that he is at least "all-in" to give it his best. Really, last year he was no better than the years we had Ryan Kelly, and Brian Cook's years were better as a Laker than Deng's first year here. MWP, way past his prime, for the buck, was a better influence and player on the court than Deng. That lack of performance, effort, and pride, needs to change for the better. Or if we are lucky, it will be someone else's problem in 2017.

If Luke's Laker coaching career fails, what he gets out of Deng may be one of the reasons for his failure.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject:

Deng is Dang Done.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

My feelings exactly. Our disposable income in a sense was pretty much blown on weed and scratchers and now we're down to the food and rent budget. If they're able to move Clarkson maybe some salary relief can be obtained there, but even then they'd most likely have to take a bad contract back.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

It seems like Bulls fans and there FO won't mind getting back Deng, besides him playing his best ball with the Bulls, he also did a lot for the Chicago community, I can see a scenario were there is interest in getting him back..
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

No really good player has wanted to come here for years. I get the idea of cap space but thus far it has been fantasy.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:

unlike Rose, there was no fallout with Deng, I'm sure he will feel a lot more comfortable being with a team he started with.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
No really good player has wanted to come here for years. I get the idea of cap space but thus far it has been fantasy.

First it was because I don't think a lot of players wanted to play with injured ball dominant Kobe. Then there was the fact that a lot of players did not want to play for Byron.

Last year it was the fact that we were a 17 win team. And then instead of holding onto the cap space for a time when FA's would actually want to come and play with our young core and Luke, we blew it by being impatient and signed Mozdeng.

Big mistake brought on by myopic focus on "winning now" instead of going through a proper rebuild process.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
It seems like Bulls fans and there FO won't mind getting back Deng, besides him playing his best ball with the Bulls, he also did a lot for the Chicago community, I can see a scenario were there is interest in getting him back..

That is pipe just like the wolves and coach T wanting Deng. A team wanting Deng is as realistic as someone wanting herpes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

First it was because I don't think a lot of players wanted to play with injured ball dominant Kobe. Then there was the fact that a lot of players did not want to play for Byron.

Last year it was the fact that we were a 17 win team. And then instead of holding onto the cap space for a time when FA's would actually want to come and play with our young core and Luke, we blew it by being impatient and signed Mozdeng.

Big mistake brought on by myopic focus on "winning now" instead of going through a proper rebuild process.

Yes, we haven't been a destination, that is why cap space isn't a detriment.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

That is pipe just like the wolves and coach T wanting Deng. A team wanting Deng is as realistic as someone wanting herpes.

So basically, you're saying which ever team willing to sign Delonte West will also be willing to take on Deng's contract... sweet!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Deng is gonna shoot 40% from 3 next year!
For the NY Knicks, hopefully.

Clippers
In: Melo
Out: Crawford, Wes Johnson, Paul Pierce's contract, 2020 2nd round pick (via Cavs)

Knicks
In: Wes Johnson, Deng, Lakers 2nd round pick (via Denver), Clippers 2020 2nd round pick (via Cavs)
Out: Melo

Lakers
In: Crawford, PP's contract (retires)
Out: Deng, 2nd round pick (via Denver)
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Crawford wasn't that impressive this year, but if it helps open up flexibility then that's a good trade.
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Please trade him to Minny
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject:

@PROGENEX
“When it comes time to get work done, we get it done. We don’t make excuses.” - @jacobwross
#progenex #progenexMOVE @LuolDeng9
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEyQZkGU0AE3zaB.jpg

https://twitter.com/PROGENEX/status/886242007789613056/

Good to see him back to training after the surgery about two months ago.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Who knows? The Bucks traded Plumlee which seemed equally immovable

Not really. 4/50 for Plumlee, so Much smaller deal than Deng, and smaller than Mozgov's deal, and he is younger which offers more hope for a reclaimation.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

Deng is gonna be like MWP last season, spot minutes. Playing him more minutes not gonna increase his trade value and would just take minutes from Nance and Kuzma, don't forget BI at the 4 also. Brewer would be the 3rd string SG/SF. We appreciated you signing with us when nobody would but you're well compensated for it, so enjoy the $18mil/yr Deng
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject:

NBA - Africa Camp (Deng is one of the top NBA ambassadors)
http://www.nba.com/video/2017/08/03/20170803-bwb-africa-camp-nba
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 78 of 157
Jump to: