2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1276, 1277, 1278, 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lets get a look at these guys in SL at least before we decide they were poor selections.....our scouting department has earned the benefit of the doubt....my money is on that we are mostly pleased with how these guys look.

Absolutely - I'll root for Kuzma to be better than Bell. I'll support all our guys. It's one of those things where I'll always ask myself what if we drafted him over him?

Similar to Smart/Randle for me

Or Porzingis/Russel

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

stevenadamsismvp wrote:
could the Lakers have packaged for Monk ?

Clarkson + 27 & 28 vs Monk @ 11th pick?

I feel like that's a great trade for both sides, but I still think MJ would've turned it down. Apparently he was really high on Monk and was thrilled to get him.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lets get a look at these guys in SL at least before we decide they were poor selections.....our scouting department has earned the benefit of the doubt....my money is on that we are mostly pleased with how these guys look.

So give us a short synopsis of Dozier's game. Slasher? Doesn't look like a shooter but rangy as hell. Nice defensive prospect?

Your aware of the measurements....6'7" is shoes, 7 Foot Wingspan, 8.5 Feet standing reach with a good vertical....as far as pedigree, he is only 20 years old and was a 5 Star recruit McDonalds All American. His time in Columbia was not all roses.....it seems like he maybe butted heads with Frank Martin a little, and was even benched earlier this year....but when he returned, he finished the season and tournament strong. For example, he struggled on 3's for the season, but that % was much better when he returned and got consistent minutes. Do I trust it? No way. Just pointing out there is some sign of hope for his shot, but he is also a poor free throw shooter. Most of the draft profiles point out that the mechanics of his shot are ok, but it just has to improve his accuracy. He mostly played the #1 in college, and I hope that is where he gets an opportunity in the NBA as well.

He is a good defender, and a very good functional athlete. He loves going up for lobs similar to Lonzo, but he is actually a better athlete than Lonzo. He is never going to be a 10 assist guy, but he did show decent court vision. His handle needs improved if he plans on playing any #1 in the NBA, but he can get to the rim and score off the bounce to a degree. Honestly a lot of people compare him to Livingston, but he reminds me more of Jalen Rose during his initial year in Ann Arbor. Basically he has to improve in a lot of areas, but if....and if is likely doubtful....but if he could improve his shot to be a moderate threat, tighten up his handle, and simply develop a little more....he has a lot of what it takes to be a special talent.

Last edited by adkindo on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

shots fired

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDB3EKiU0AAsFJ0.jpg:large
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
shots fired

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDB3EKiU0AAsFJ0.jpg:large

that's cute. I'm all for trash talk but don't you have to be on the court, first?
crazylakerfan001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
crazylakerfan001 wrote:
Hey mike,

What's your insight about Jaron Blossomgame and Justin Jackson for early second round steals?

I don't think they're great second round steals as projected. Blossomgame is older as a prospect and the 3pt. shooting consistency didn't continue. Justin? All 3 and D and a floater. I just think there's better prospects at the 2nd rounder.

Made this post back in february when mocks had justin going in the second round.
Lol I guess nba scouts thought justin belonged higher than the second round. As for jaron blossomgame, I trust the spurs scouting department to make the right decisions. Dont wanna say i was right and mike was wrong prematurely, but we will see.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

So give us a short synopsis of Dozier's game. Slasher? Doesn't look like a shooter but rangy as hell. Nice defensive prospect?

Your aware of the measurements....6'7" is shoes, 7 Foot Wingspan, 8.5 Feet standing reach with a good vertical....as far as pedigree, he is only 20 years old and was a 5 Star recruit McDonalds All American. His time in Columbia was not all roses.....it seems like he maybe butted heads with Frank Martin a little, and was even benched earlier this year....but when he returned, he finished the season and tournament strong. For example, he struggled on 3's for the season, but that % was much better when he returned and got consistent minutes. Do I trust it? No way. Just pointing out there is some sign of hope for his shot, but he is also a poor free throw shooter. Most of the draft profiles point out that the mechanics of his shot are ok, but it just has to improve his accuracy. He mostly played the #1 in college, and I hope that is where he gets an opportunity in the NBA as well.

He is a good defender, and a very good functional athlete. He loves going up for lobs similar to Lonzo, but he is actually a better athlete than Lonzo. He is never going to be a 10 assist guy, but he did show decent court vision. His handle needs improved if he plans on playing any #1 in the NBA, but he can get to the rim and score off the bounce to a degree. Honestly a lot of people compare him to Livingston, but he reminds me more of Jalen Rose during his initial year in Ann Arbor. Basically he has to improve in a lot of areas, but if....and if is likely doubtful....but if he could improve his shot to be a moderate threat, tighten up his handle, and simply develop a little more....he has a lot of what it takes to be a special talent.

Obviously he's probably not getting burn on the real team from day one, but I think he has real potential to impress in the D-League, and get called up once we're inevitably out of the playoff hunt and see some real time, especially considering how thin we are at guard.

He has the type of game that will look great in Summer Leavue as well. Laker fans will definitely know his name going in to the season. Pretty excited about him
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

for those who wanted jordan bell...

the guy is just a complete liability on offense. i don't care if you can defend 1-5 and provide rim protection, if you don't need to be defended at all on the offense you're not worth drafting.

like...come on man
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

the guy is just a complete liability on offense. i don't care if you can defend 1-5 and provide rim protection, if you don't need to be defended at all on the offense you're not worth drafting.

like...come on man

Agreed. I saw him on offense and he was pathetic.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

like...come on man

Agreed. I saw him on offense and he was pathetic.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma made the All Pac-12 first team and was an honorable mention for the All-Defensive team. People are acting like the guy is chopped liver because he wasn't their preferred choice.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Kuzma made the All Pac-12 first team and was an honorable mention for the All-Defensive team. People are acting like the guy is chopped liver because he wasn't their preferred choice.

For those of you who are familiar with Utah's basketball team, was the scheme that they ran conducive to Kuzma showing his skills? From what I have read, it seems like he really improved his play at the combine and at the Lakers' workout.

--Anonymous
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

I'm ecstatic about Hart. Hate to make this comparison, but... its not crazy to project him as a Fisher to Ball's Kobe, but with better defense. He has the toughness, leadership, defense and shooting this team needs. Love Hart and I think he'll make an impact from day 1. He's a culture changer.

I don't about Kuzma. He looks like he has nice shot, is decently athletic and has some versatility as a 3/4 (although will probably play a lot of 4). Just hope he's not Yi Jianlin (which was another allegedly versatile big man with a jumper that looked much better in his workouts than his play on the floor suggested). We'll see, but he has a very Nance like feel to him (i.e. less hype, older player who developed late from one of the second tier programs).

Bryant I think was a wasted pick. I see the length, his ability to shoot and that, apparently, the advance stats favor him. However, he looks slow laterally. If he can't guard the pick/roll at the NBA level, he's not going to be any better than a third string big on a good team. Hernstein (or however you spell his name) was worth a shot at that point. Still, can't complain too much since that was a pick we didn't have at the beginning of the day, so he's worth a shot. In past years, he would be a risk of not making the team, but because the NBA has expanded rosters to 17 players, he'll probably get his chance and spend most of the season in the G league this year.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost

Last edited by LakerSanity on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject:

^I wanted Hartenstien too, but he got red flagged for a back issue. I think we view Byrant as a domestic draft/stash..GLeague, if he improves, it'll be a surprise and cherry on top. Supposedly he's been improving his mobility this summer in a Myles Turner fashion(although Turner was always a great leaper)
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Holy hell Kuzma looks just like Ben Simmons. I guess he passed the "eye test?" Heh.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Quote:
Four quality players added to the mix.

and1

PJ Dozier.

Yeah, a guard/wing undrafted with physicals? Yeah, you've got my attention.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lets get a look at these guys in SL at least before we decide they were poor selections.....our scouting department has earned the benefit of the doubt....my money is on that will be mostly pleased with how these guys look.

People think these were poor selections?

Dude, that's like the entire history of the Lakers in the draft since 1997 was awful.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Quote:
Four quality players added to the mix.

and1

PJ Dozier.

Yeah, a guard/wing undrafted with physicals? Yeah, you've got my attention.

I bet you are extremely happy the lakers got 2 of your proposed for #28 - Hart and Bryant
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

like...come on man

Dude actually has some spatial awareness and has a semblance of a midrange shot.

Honestly, I wouldn't have cared. Dude is like a Top 50 NBA defender right now.

vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

like...come on man

Dude actually has some spatial awareness and has a semblance of a midrange shot.

Honestly, I wouldn't have cared. Dude is like a Top 50 NBA defender right now.

Yeah I was hoping he fell to 42 but happy with Bryant
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I'm ecstatic about Hart. Hate to make this comparison, but... its not crazy to project him as a Fisher to Ball's Kobe, but with better defense. He has the toughness, leadership, defense and shooting this team needs. Love Hart and I think he'll make an impact from day 1. He's a culture changer.

I don't about Kuzma. He looks like he has nice shot, is decently athletic and has some versatility as a 3/4 (although will probably play a lot of 4). Just hope he's not Yi Jianlin (which was another allegedly versatile big man with a jumper that looked much better in his workouts than his play on the floor suggested). We'll see, but he has a very Nance like feel to him (i.e. less hype, older player who developed late from one of the second tier programs).

Bryant I think was a wasted pick. I see the length, his ability to shoot and that, apparently, the advance stats favor him. However, he looks slow laterally. If he can't guard the pick/roll at the NBA level, he's not going to be any better than a third string big on a good team. Hernstein (or however you spell his name) was worth a shot at that point. Still, can't complain too much since that was a pick we didn't have at the beginning of the day, so he's worth a shot. In past years, he would be a risk of not making the team, but because the NBA has expanded rosters to 17 players, he'll probably get his chance and spend most of the season in the G league this year.

So I know everyone wants a big that can defend PnR. What people don't understand is, how tough it is to get a 2-way player that can do that, especially down into the late 1st.

Like, I don't really understand how people can be so disappointed in Thomas Bryant, who clearly has a lot of physical upside, played his soph year at age 19, has motor, and a 9'4.5" standing reach, and was already working on his lateral movement during PreDraft camp with eye-test improvement.

Let me rephrase that.
We drafted a 19 year old kid with great physical tools, motor, experience, who plays tough in the paint and shoots 38% behind the arc, in the 2nd round.

Trust me. Bynum NEVER looked that good at his age.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

So I know everyone wants a big that can defend PnR. What people don't understand is, how tough it is to get a 2-way player that can do that, especially down into the late 1st.

Like, I don't really understand how people can be so disappointed in Thomas Bryant, who clearly has a lot of physical upside, played his soph year at age 19, has motor, and a 9'4.5" standing reach, and was already working on his lateral movement during PreDraft camp with eye-test improvement.

Let me rephrase that.
We drafted a 19 year old kid with great physical tools, motor, experience, who plays tough in the paint and shoots 38% behind the arc, in the 2nd round.

Trust me. Bynum NEVER looked that good at his age.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

7'6 9'4 ,3pt shot, just gotta dedicate his life to improving his feet. lol. Good risk at 42
LakerSanity

Kevin Pelton, ESPN wrote:
Best-rated draft

1. Los Angeles Lakers (plus-1.8 WARP)

It's just one night, but this looks like a great first draft for the new Lakers front office helmed by Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka.

The Lakers got off to a strong start by taking the top prospect in my projections, Lonzo Ball (plus-1.2 wins above replacement player), with the No. 2 overall pick. Ball's projection is so strong he actually had the highest value over expectation of anyone in the draft.

Yet the Lakers didn't stop there. While No. 27 pick Kyle Kuzma (minus-0.7) did not rate well by my model, the Lakers did well to turn the 28th pick into two players who did. At No. 30, the Lakers got what I rated the night's fourth-best value with Josh Hart (plus-0.8), and the 42nd pick yielded Thomas Bryant (plus-0.5).

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19701287/best-worst-2017-nba-draft-picks-kevin-pelton-boston-celtics-los-angeles-lakers-more

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost

Last edited by LakerSanity on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
7'6 9'4 ,3pt shot, just gotta dedicate his life to improving his feet. lol. Good risk at 42

Bynum never improved his feet.

If we just stand back and look at Thomas Bryant, those attributes would have been typical of a lottery player.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1276, 1277, 1278, 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 1277 of 1281
Jump to: