2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1277, 1278, 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Kevin Pelton, ESPN wrote:
Best-rated draft

1. Los Angeles Lakers (plus-1.8 WARP)

It's just one night, but this looks like a great first draft for the new Lakers front office helmed by Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka.

The Lakers got off to a strong start by taking the top prospect in my projections, Lonzo Ball (plus-1.2 wins above replacement player), with the No. 2 overall pick. Ball's projection is so strong he actually had the highest value over expectation of anyone in the draft.

Yet the Lakers didn't stop there. While No. 27 pick Kyle Kuzma (minus-0.7) did not rate well by my model, the Lakers did well to turn the 28th pick into two players who did. At No. 30, the Lakers got what I rated the night's fourth-best value with Josh Hart (plus-0.8), and the 42nd pick yielded Thomas Bryant (plus-0.5).

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19701287/best-worst-2017-nba-draft-picks-kevin-pelton-boston-celtics-los-angeles-lakers-more

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Best-rated draft

It's just one night, but this looks like a great first draft for the new Lakers front office helmed by Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka.

The Lakers got off to a strong start by taking the top prospect in my projections, Lonzo Ball (plus-1.2 wins above replacement player), with the No. 2 overall pick. Ball's projection is so strong he actually had the highest value over expectation of anyone in the draft.

Yet the Lakers didn't stop there. While No. 27 pick Kyle Kuzma (minus-0.7) did not rate well by my model, the Lakers did well to turn the 28th pick into two players who did. At No. 30, the Lakers got what I rated the night's fourth-best value with Josh Hart (plus-0.8), and the 42nd pick yielded Thomas Bryant (plus-0.5).

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19701287/best-worst-2017-nba-draft-picks-kevin-pelton-boston-celtics-los-angeles-lakers-more

I mean, this is the most A+ draft since the 90s in terms of what was learned of each player, and who was taken at each draft position.

People can argue Jordan Bell, Jawun Evans, Derrick White, etc., but they all have weaknesses of their own too.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Mike.. I know its tough to get that guy, and I know its even tougher to get that guy at 42. That's why maybe you go for a different type of player like Herenstein who is a guy with potentially even higher upside but huge risk potential. Still, I put Bryant in that same category, so, like I said,, I'm okay with the pick because (a) we didn't have a 42nd pick when the day started and (b) I'm not sure there were other players I would have preferred. I think I am guilty of a little hyperbole when I say it was a wasted pick.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Mike.. I know its tough to get that guy, and I know its even tougher to get that guy at 42. That's why maybe you go for a different type of player like Herenstein who is a guy with potentially even higher upside but huge risk potential. Still, I put Bryant in that same category, so, like I said,, I'm okay with the pick because (a) we didn't have a 42nd pick when the day started and (b) I'm not sure there were other players I would have preferred. I think I am guilty of a little hyperbole when I say it was a wasted pick.

So, just from observation. Guys with back injury history or knee history, not only have shortened careers, but are far less likely to even fulfill their upside because the body can't handle the additional work.

I love Hartenstein's skill set. But if he's having issues with a European schedule, he'll struggle with 20mpg early on unless he has some amazing treatment.

The fact that the health issues superseded his other intangibles issues is why I was okay with him slipping.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
^I wanted Hartenstien too, but he got red flagged for a back issue. I think we view Byrant as a domestic draft/stash..GLeague, if he improves, it'll be a surprise and cherry on top. Supposedly he's been improving his mobility this summer in a Myles Turner fashion(although Turner was always a great leaper)

If we're not talking about some career-ending condition, I'd have taken the chance. What if he can't play over 20mpg and is retired by the age 30? Well, it's much more than the average 2nd rounder.

Edit: wrote about 20mpg and short career before reading Mike's comments. He's got a point about reaching his potential. But, unless we know what's the problem, it's all speculation.

Last edited by Eindhoven on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
7'6 9'4 ,3pt shot, just gotta dedicate his life to improving his feet. lol. Good risk at 42

Bynum never improved his feet.

If we just stand back and look at Thomas Bryant, those attributes would have been typical of a lottery player.

I'm super excited about TB's potential. His length is the only thing that reminds me of AB17, but he seems to actually love the game. In the end, that's what tainted Bynum's career. I don't think he loved the game. Played basketball because he was big and good at it and it paid well. Ironically, yesterday morning a buddy of mine at the office is a big IU guy and he was extolling the virtues of both Indiana kids. Very high on him.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
7'6 9'4 ,3pt shot, just gotta dedicate his life to improving his feet. lol. Good risk at 42

If we just stand back and look at Thomas Bryant, those attributes would have been typical of a lottery player.

I'm super excited about TB's potential. His length is the only thing that reminds me of AB17, but he seems to actually love the game. In the end, that's what tainted Bynum's career. I don't think he loved the game. Played basketball because he was big and good at it and it paid well. Ironically, yesterday morning a buddy of mine at the office is a big IU guy and he was extolling the virtues of both Indiana kids. Very high on him.

I think Bynum loved the game for awhile. I also think the Lakers burned him out on work ethic. I'm not surprised.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Feet/P&R/3pt are even more important today, than they were 7 years ago though..
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

So, just from observation. Guys with back injury history or knee history, not only have shortened careers, but are far less likely to even fulfill their upside because the body can't handle the additional work.

I love Hartenstein's skill set. But if he's having issues with a European schedule, he'll struggle with 20mpg early on unless he has some amazing treatment.

The fact that the health issues superseded his other intangibles issues is why I was okay with him slipping.

Ok, but Josh Hart tho....

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Glad you are back MikeLG....

Lets do this, what a draft...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Ok, but Josh Hart tho....

The Lakers technically drafted 3 of 4 guys on my draft list that I've had since March and even took off Kuzma's name off the list on Wednesday.

I'm even terrible at mock drafts so with the first three picks, it's like I "Typed it into existence."

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Best-rated draft

Pelton angling for the Lakers analytics job.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Glad you are back MikeLG....

Lets do this, what a draft...

Vegas Pro League All Star team.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Right, and it's also a rare skill to get. I mean, how many bigs in this draft were capable?

Bell
Zach Collins

You can debate SF/PF Jonathan Isaac, Anunoby, Ojeleye, Bam, but most people here and on Laker twitter didn't even want Ojeleye so

If the Lakers got Ojeleye, we get our PF switch defender and people would say, "But he can't swat" or "He can't protect the paint"... whatever other weakness he has defensively.

CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

Love the draft. Wanted Hart in the 2nd last year, but he didn't come out.

Mike, can he come in right away and take the starting SG spot, assuming the team is as it is today?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

Mike@LG wrote:

Seriously, that will be so interesting to watch if all the draft guys play with all our second year guys.

Really interested to see it, who will coach us?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Seriously, that will be so interesting to watch if all the draft guys play with all our second year guys.

Probably Mermuys.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

PG13 wrote:
Love the draft. Wanted Hart in the 2nd last year, but he didn't come out.

Mike, can he come in right away and take the starting SG spot, assuming the team is as it is today?

That's really hard to say. The transition from NCAA to the NBA didn't always have this big of a development gap, even for senior players.

TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait for the Coach Jesse post-game interviews again - love hearing him speak
Serenityy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

One thing I was glad to see was that we drafted some shooters, albeit they aren't snipers, they are in improvement over what we currently have in that department.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Probably Mermuys.

Luke said today Jud is coaching
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Right, and it's also a rare skill to get. I mean, how many bigs in this draft were capable?

Bell
Zach Collins

You can debate SF/PF Jonathan Isaac, Anunoby, Ojeleye, Bam, but most people here and on Laker twitter didn't even want Ojeleye so

If the Lakers got Ojeleye, we get our PF switch defender and people would say, "But he can't swat" or "He can't protect the paint"... whatever other weakness he has defensively.

There's varying degrees to everything... I think most people would prefer a player who's solid-decent in most important categories, over being above average in only one/two.
Fwiw, Bryant's stroke may be good enough to bypass being a below avg defender , it's beautiful
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Probably Mermuys.

As long as the team runs and gets open shots. That's all I'm looking for. I do expect a couple of Ingram highlights before he gets shut down.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
2019 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Probably Mermuys.

As long as the team runs and gets open shots. That's all I'm looking for. I do expect a couple of Ingram highlights before he gets shut down.

I would not play Ingram too much. It is Summer League for crissakes. Still, I have to admit I am curious to see him with Lonzo Ball....this is very exciting for the franchise!
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
2019 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Probably Mermuys.

I would not play Ingram too much. It is Summer League for crissakes. Still, I have to admit I am curious to see him with Lonzo Ball....this is very exciting for the franchise!

Rob said BI will only play a handful of games, whatever that means. He'll probably sit once the playoffs the start.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1277, 1278, 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 1278 of 1281
Jump to: