DLO/Mozgov Traded to Nets for #27 Pick & Brook Lopez
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject:

POPOVICH ON RUSSELL AROUND 2:44 IN VIDEO

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
https://youtu.be/y2c9_YqaX88

These will not be missed @ all !!!

Man these are such basic plays. You would think a player in the NBA for two years would learn the basics already. Actually those are things he should've learned in high school. Just basic passing lanes.

I still think this guy has the potential to be a Raymond Felton but he's got a long way to go

exactly my point, these are basic plays any #2 PG should be able to run, especially 1 with " great vision".
I believe Magic / Rob made the right decision to trade him at the right time while he still holds value.

Lopez and Lozno replacing Mozgov and Russell is an upgrade anyway people look @ it, all hype aside.

Yikes. Some of those turnovers made me cringe. Watching this video again now that he isn't a Laker gives me different perspective. Man, I really had to try hard to fall in love with this guy but I just couldn't see what everyone else saw.

That's cuz there wasn't anything else that anyone else saw. It was only what a select few "read" on their custom made, sliced and diced, clearly cherry picked advanced stats to drive their agenda. Glad new FO wasn't as niaeve and saw him for what he was, a replacement level guard. Will back into an all star game no doubt, when the guys chosen above him get hurt. But transcendent talent he is not.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Russell still younger than 3 of the 4 guys drafted. Talking about being freaking impatient. Still pissed...

Magic didn't believe he was a leader....

I know a lot of people around here are Russell fans, but where there's smoke there's fire. It's not like he wasn't warned, it's not like he wasn't given chances to get it together.

The new regime wants players that are professionals and striving for excellence, by most accounts D'Lo wasn't doing either of those things. It sounds like he was the most immature guy on the team.

They moved him to off guard and did very well at the end of last season. The new leader would still lead with Russell on the roster. Not many are leaders, there is only 1 team captain, maybe 2, right? But a roster is made up of 15 guys. You don't ship off the other 13 guys for not being leaders do you?

This isn't about leadership. That's what he has to give you to explain things away. If he wants to be truthful, all Magic has to say is "I needed the cap space to chase Lebron, the Nets insisted on Russell."

Thank you.

Everyone wants to make up stuff that doesn't exist... the truth is Magic's plan is FA and Russell was the ticket to that.

If Lonzo is so great a leader, then why do you need DLO to be?

Hell, at the presser today he talked about how the Lakers always have great leaders and then named Fisher... Couldn't believe when I head that. Demonstrates the point that leadership always doesn't come in the form of your best player or scorer or whatever.

I don't understand the digs since he still has to deal with Andy Mintz, the same agent representing PG13. Boggles my mind. I guess this is where the inexperience comes into play. Maybe stop talking so much and let Rob Lowe do the talking.

I truly don't think Magic intended it as a calculated dig. Magic's always been a guy to just blurt things out.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
From listening to podcasts reading articles in hearing various opinions on the trades from people around the league on radio interviews and so forth, the consensus seems to be that Russell is a very good talent with the potential to be great, but it was just that he wasn't going to reach that potential with the lakers and needed a change of scenery. People seem to think that Brooklyn made a good trade, but that the lakers also needed to do that trade to even if they gave up the player with the most potential .

None of that changes that the trade was premature and that we may have gotten more for Russell later, even assuming the trade would have ever been necessary next summer, but that may make some feel better.

Lopez is talented and we won't be taking a step back talent wise next year with the swap. The problem is what happens next summer, do we swap that talent out with new talent or lose an asset by letting him walk for nothing as we punt cap space again?

I think Lopez/Ball will probably look great next season and even Randle will have more room to work on the floor. Should be fun to watch.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
crucifixion wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
https://youtu.be/y2c9_YqaX88

These will not be missed @ all !!!

Man these are such basic plays. You would think a player in the NBA for two years would learn the basics already. Actually those are things he should've learned in high school. Just basic passing lanes.

I still think this guy has the potential to be a Raymond Felton but he's got a long way to go

exactly my point, these are basic plays any #2 PG should be able to run, especially 1 with " great vision".
I believe Magic / Rob made the right decision to trade him at the right time while he still holds value.

Lopez and Lozno replacing Mozgov and Russell is an upgrade anyway people look @ it, all hype aside.

Yikes. Some of those turnovers made me cringe. Watching this video again now that he isn't a Laker gives me different perspective. Man, I really had to try hard to fall in love with this guy but I just couldn't see what everyone else saw.

That's always been DLO's problem, decision making. If you're running an offense, sometimes you just need to move the chains and make easy quick passes to get to where you want. But DLO was always trying to throw a touchdown and flashy pass. That may have worked in college, but it doesn't in the NBA. That's what Lonzo excels at. He makes the read very early and delivers the pass when the degree of difficulty is still low and makes it look easy. If you wait too long, then the pass becomes exponentially harder to complete and there were many times when DLO was just way too casual in that regard. I'm with you though, I've spent 2 years defending DLO to my friends, so it's not like I've disliked him.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
people forgetting DLO and Pop incident last year too. So byron/luke/Pop are all wrong but analytic guys on this site are right???

analytics can't measure character

It wasn't analytics, really. Old school counting numbers projected by minutes were his strength.

His BPM/RPM were trending fine for his position and age for most of the season and were mostly negatively impacted when paired with Clarkson to end the season.

I mean, Booker and Wiggins are apparently on pace to be stars based on counting stats.

Again he wasn't traded for his play and game. I think the new regime didn't think he would listen and buy in and shipped him or. Hopefully for the kid it's a wake up call and he'll reach his full potential. Even if he turns into an all NBA player on another team it would not have happened here. We needed to cut ties and he needed a fresh start

If a player can turn into an All-NBA player for another team, but not yours, that's an organizational problem of the highest order.

GT, what are your thoughts on the situation DLO is headed to - personnel, coaching, culture-wise?
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

but but but Swaggy
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
people forgetting DLO and Pop incident last year too. So byron/luke/Pop are all wrong but analytic guys on this site are right???

It wasn't analytics, really. Old school counting numbers projected by minutes were his strength.

His BPM/RPM were trending fine for his position and age for most of the season and were mostly negatively impacted when paired with Clarkson to end the season.

I mean, Booker and Wiggins are apparently on pace to be stars based on counting stats.

Again he wasn't traded for his play and game. I think the new regime didn't think he would listen and buy in and shipped him or. Hopefully for the kid it's a wake up call and he'll reach his full potential. Even if he turns into an all NBA player on another team it would not have happened here. We needed to cut ties and he needed a fresh start

Yup, it was a marriage not meant to be. I hope it's one of a very few bad relationships this front office and coaching staff have and it's not an early warning sign of a PJax/Rambis-ish situation.

ETA: GT said it better above.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
From listening to podcasts reading articles in hearing various opinions on the trades from people around the league on radio interviews and so forth, the consensus seems to be that Russell is a very good talent with the potential to be great, but it was just that he wasn't going to reach that potential with the lakers and needed a change of scenery. People seem to think that Brooklyn made a good trade, but that the lakers also needed to do that trade to even if they gave up the player with the most potential .

None of that changes that the trade was premature and that we may have gotten more for Russell later, even assuming the trade would have ever been necessary next summer, but that may make some feel better.

Lopez is talented and we won't be taking a step back talent wise next year with the swap. The problem is what happens next summer, do we swap that talent out with new talent or lose an asset by letting him walk for nothing as we punt cap space again?

I think Lopez/Ball will probably look great next season and even Randle will have more room to work on the floor. Should be fun to watch.

No punting cap space if we get George and extend Randle. Should be fun to watch and odds are Boston doesn't get our pick, but, yes, bad trade.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
I hate this trade. That being said, for those who think we will be worse next year, ask yourself this - would Brook Lopez have been the best player on last year's team? Probably.

Lou was the better player, imo, but Lopez spaces the floor, which is his greatest value now (and he isn't a total dud on defense). Mitch and Jim would've been better off just pursuing a tweener shooting big like Jon Leuer last summer rather than going after a more traditional center.

Lopez isn't a center that you want defending against a championship-caliber team. However, in the meantime during the regular season, he is a player that has value and can get you wins. In fact, I would argue that the only reason the nets did not have the worst record of all time last season was because of Lopez. I think most NBA professionals would probably agree that Lopez is a better player than Lou Williams, who is best as a bench player whereas Lopez is a certifiable starter at center. If Lou Williams was our best player last year, which I think he was, then there is little doubt that Brook Lopez would have been our best player last year.

I'd say that Lin was more instrumental to their success, especially given how terrible the Nets guard play was. To that end, when it's close in terms of performance and impact, I'll generally side with the guard creator. On a normal roster, I see the value of Lopez as a 3rd/4th option over Lou as a super selfish sixth man, though.

Anyway, thankfully the Lakers will have Ball and Ingram to pair with Lopez rather than Spencer Dinwiddie and Joe Harris.
LAPauer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Interesting side note: There was a video that got released a while back of a few of our players in a car being idiots and harassing some girls who were in another car: Nick Young and Jordan Clarkson, but I believe Lou Williams was also with them. Then there was phone-gate with DLo. Only Clarkson is left, and he has been heavily dangled in trades already. The FO is sweeping out the clowns right now, the players who don't understand that this is a job that they have to take seriously.

I really hope DLo gets it together, but he obviously had chemistry issues, not only with his teammates, but with Luke and the FO as well. He didn't seem to impress Kobe or Magic, two of our greatest guards of all time. He was mixed in with that whole toxic Hollywood scene of Kardashians and vapid models that he went through left and right. Remember how there was a really long stretch where DLo always played poorly on weekend morning games? The conclusions about him are pretty easy to reach-- he didn't have enough self discipline to lead himself let alone the most storied franchise in the NBA.

A lot of people are saying, well why trade him now? Why not wait until next season when we might get more value for him if shows out or when there's one less year on Moz's deal? For one, they might see him as ticking time bomb of bad personal decisions that could tank his value even more. They may know more about how bad DLo's knee really is and figure that issue would arise again in another full season of basketball. They're bringing in 4 new young players who haven't been sucked into some of DLo's Hollywood vortex yet, so why risk his immaturity carrying over to the other young players coming in?

I actually really loved DLo's game-- He has great size and can likely become an amazing shooter, but does he really seem like a franchise player, someone who can lead a team deep into the postseason? How much trust could you put into him? Would you want him to affect things like Paul George or other max players potentially not coming or coming and not re-signing because of a bad locker room? Is the chance DLo becomes a lower tier all star really more important than creating a cohesive team that's all on the same page about the professionalism expected? I was shocked by the deal, but it feels better and better as I run through the reasons it was made, and it must have been even more apparent to Magic and Pelinka.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

The juxtaposition of the positive things he said about Russell and what he was explaining right before is poetic.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject:

LAPauer wrote:
Interesting side note: There was a video that got released a while back of a few of our players in a car being idiots and harassing some girls who were in another car: Nick Young and Jordan Clarkson, but I believe Lou Williams was also with them. Then there was phone-gate with DLo. Only Clarkson is left, and he has been heavily dangled in trades already. The FO is sweeping out the clowns right now, the players who don't understand that this is a job that they have to take seriously.

I really hope DLo gets it together, but he obviously had chemistry issues, not only with his teammates, but with Luke and the FO as well. He didn't seem to impress Kobe or Magic, two of our greatest guards of all time. He was mixed in with that whole toxic Hollywood scene of Kardashians and vapid models that he went through left and right. Remember how there was a really long stretch where DLo always played poorly on weekend morning games? The conclusions about him are pretty easy to reach-- he didn't have enough self discipline to lead himself let alone the most storied franchise in the NBA.

A lot of people are saying, well why trade him now? Why not wait until next season when we might get more value for him if shows out or when there's one less year on Moz's deal? For one, they might see him as ticking time bomb of bad personal decisions that could tank his value even more. They may know more about how bad DLo's knee really is and figure that issue would arise again in another full season of basketball. They're bringing in 4 new young players who haven't been sucked into some of DLo's Hollywood vortex yet, so why risk his immaturity carrying over to the other young players coming in?

I actually really loved DLo's game-- He has great size and can likely become an amazing shooter, but does he really seem like a franchise player, someone who can lead a team deep into the postseason? How much trust could you put into him? Would you want him to affect things like Paul George or other max players potentially not coming or coming and not re-signing because of a bad locker room? Is the chance DLo becomes a lower tier all star really more important than creating a cohesive team that's all on the same page about the professionalism expected? I was shocked by the deal, but it feels better and better as I run through the reasons it was made, and it must have been even more apparent to Magic and Pelinka.

I agree with everything you said. Very good points not considered before.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

If a player can turn into an All-NBA player for another team, but not yours, that's an organizational problem of the highest order.

I don't agree with that statement. They didn't draft him, all all star players are not the same. Of he has a bad attitude, they did what they had to do. Even if he didn't, they deserve to build the team there way with their players. We can judge in 2 or 3 years when it is close to finished.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject:

PG13 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

I don't agree with that statement. They didn't draft him, all all star players are not the same. Of he has a bad attitude, they did what they had to do. Even if he didn't, they deserve to build the team there way with their players. We can judge in 2 or 3 years when it is close to finished.

This bet has to pay off in 2018. Are they punting again if no to FAs come in 2018? Doubt it.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Lakers made trade to clear cap space for 2018 run at LeBron and PG. and felt ok letting go of Russell bc new #2 pick to run the point. Like it or hate it, they have a plan and are going after it.

Russell was one of only good playmakers on team as evidenced by drop in Randles scoring numbers when Russell was out for example. If Magic wants to paint it like Russell was holding the Lakers back he can but that is only going to come back and bite him if Lakers falter coming out of the gate this season.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:

It was reported by one dude. It probably is true, but let's not forget who traded for him and where he's from.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject:

ice_cold wrote:
Lakers made trade to clear cap space for 2018 run at LeBron and PG. and felt ok letting go of Russell bc new #2 pick to run the point. Like it or hate it, they have a plan and are going after it.

Russell was one of only good playmakers on team as evidenced by drop in Randles scoring numbers when Russell was out for example. If Magic wants to paint it like Russell was holding the Lakers back he can but that is only going to come back and bite him if Lakers falter coming out of the gate this season.

Russell was so unpopular with a good chunk of the fanbase that it may never come back to bite Magic even if DLo turns into an All-Star. You also figure Ball will eventually surpass him, and since most will view it as Ball or DLo rather than an option to pair Ball and DLo, no one except for a few folks on LG and basketball Twitter will even care.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

ice_cold wrote:

Magic, in his eternal wisdom, did not need to trade DLo at this time. There were no compelling reasons to make such a trade before letting DLo play his third season with the team.

No... this was personal. Magic listening to Byron. Magic wanting to put his stamp on the team by getting rid of Russell. Magic wanting to clear any and all obstacles for Lonzo Ball. This was a narcissistic move... ego driven... a "my way" move that put the team second and Magic first.
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

They traded DLo also because he liked that fan tweet saying the Lakers shouldn't draft Lonzo. Immature acts like that and the Nick Young fiasco are prime examples of a person with questionable character. Remember Popovich saying they like to draft players who are already done being full of themselves? DLo looks like he's still full of himself.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Russell was so unpopular with a good chunk of the fanbase that it may never come back to bite Magic even if DLo turns into an All-Star. You also figure Ball will eventually surpass him, and since most will view it as Ball or DLo rather than an option to pair Ball and DLo, no one except for a few folks on LG and basketball Twitter will even care.

Ball and Russell could be a good offensive duo, but I will be surprised if Ball don't surpass Russell in AST/G as a rookie. No excuses about bad teammates, system or coaching staff.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:

Ball and Russell could be a good offensive duo, but I will be surprised if Ball don't surpass Russell in AST/G as a rookie. No excuses about bad teammates, system or coaching staff.

Sure, Ball is a better passer than Russell and a different style of PG. I mean, I expect Ball to surpass rookie Irving and Lillard in AST/G, too.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

I didn't want to draft DLO. But his play won me over. And he made me a fan.
But people are talking about all-nba player? Damn, that's a bullish projection.
Does that mean Booker is gonna be Michael Jordan?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I didn't want to draft DLO. But his play won me over. And he made me a fan.
But people are talking about all-nba player? Damn, that's a bullish projection.
Does that mean Booker is gonna be Michael Jordan?

Who said All-NBA? If the dude only turns into Mike Conley it was still a waste of a valuable asset.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

kentu_tiro wrote:
They traded DLo also because he liked that fan tweet saying the Lakers shouldn't draft Lonzo. Immature acts like that and the Nick Young fiasco are prime examples of a person with questionable character. Remember Popovich saying they like to draft players who are already done being full of themselves? DLo looks like he's still full of himself.

Most 19 to 20-year olds are. If you watched draft night at all the contrast between Lonzo and all the preening kids eager to show off their custom socks and new watches was pretty stark. Lonzo just comes from a different mold.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 85 of 100
Jump to: