2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1278, 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
7'6 9'4 ,3pt shot, just gotta dedicate his life to improving his feet. lol. Good risk at 42

Bynum never improved his feet.

If we just stand back and look at Thomas Bryant, those attributes would have been typical of a lottery player.

Feet/P&R/3pt are even more important today, than they were 7 years ago though..

Right, and it's also a rare skill to get. I mean, how many bigs in this draft were capable?

Bell
Zach Collins

You can debate SF/PF Jonathan Isaac, Anunoby, Ojeleye, Bam, but most people here and on Laker twitter didn't even want Ojeleye so

If the Lakers got Ojeleye, we get our PF switch defender and people would say, "But he can't swat" or "He can't protect the paint"... whatever other weakness he has defensively.

There's varying degrees to everything... I think most people would prefer a player who's solid-decent in most important categories, over being above average in only one/two.
Fwiw, Bryant's stroke may be good enough to bypass being a below avg defender , it's beautiful

That's why I had him 26-30 on my big board. He's not a soft C, he's just also capable of shooting and looks comfortable in C&S out there.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Kevin Pelton, ESPN wrote:
Best-rated draft

1. Los Angeles Lakers (plus-1.8 WARP)

It's just one night, but this looks like a great first draft for the new Lakers front office helmed by Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka.

The Lakers got off to a strong start by taking the top prospect in my projections, Lonzo Ball (plus-1.2 wins above replacement player), with the No. 2 overall pick. Ball's projection is so strong he actually had the highest value over expectation of anyone in the draft.

Yet the Lakers didn't stop there. While No. 27 pick Kyle Kuzma (minus-0.7) did not rate well by my model, the Lakers did well to turn the 28th pick into two players who did. At No. 30, the Lakers got what I rated the night's fourth-best value with Josh Hart (plus-0.8), and the 42nd pick yielded Thomas Bryant (plus-0.5).

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19701287/best-worst-2017-nba-draft-picks-kevin-pelton-boston-celtics-los-angeles-lakers-more

I mean, this is the most A+ draft since the 90s in terms of what was learned of each player, and who was taken at each draft position.

People can argue Jordan Bell, Jawun Evans, Derrick White, etc., but they all have weaknesses of their own too.

Didn't catch your thoughts on the draft, but this is exciting. Quick question: what do you think about Kuzma?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Best-rated draft

It's just one night, but this looks like a great first draft for the new Lakers front office helmed by Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka.

The Lakers got off to a strong start by taking the top prospect in my projections, Lonzo Ball (plus-1.2 wins above replacement player), with the No. 2 overall pick. Ball's projection is so strong he actually had the highest value over expectation of anyone in the draft.

Yet the Lakers didn't stop there. While No. 27 pick Kyle Kuzma (minus-0.7) did not rate well by my model, the Lakers did well to turn the 28th pick into two players who did. At No. 30, the Lakers got what I rated the night's fourth-best value with Josh Hart (plus-0.8), and the 42nd pick yielded Thomas Bryant (plus-0.5).

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19701287/best-worst-2017-nba-draft-picks-kevin-pelton-boston-celtics-los-angeles-lakers-more

I mean, this is the most A+ draft since the 90s in terms of what was learned of each player, and who was taken at each draft position.

People can argue Jordan Bell, Jawun Evans, Derrick White, etc., but they all have weaknesses of their own too.

Didn't catch your thoughts on the draft, but this is exciting. Quick question: what do you think about Kuzma?

Is the ranking based on the summation of all the WARPs? Or is it an average?
Alexisonfire26
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Why we gotta wait so long for summer league fam? I wanna see the young guys now . Cant wait, my body is ready

Lakers, Rams, Giants, UCLA, Galaxy, Everton, USMNT
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
2019 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Vegas Pro League All Star team.

Seriously, that will be so interesting to watch if all the draft guys play with all our second year guys.

Really interested to see it, who will coach us?

Probably Mermuys.

Luke said today Jud is coaching

As long as the team runs and gets open shots. That's all I'm looking for. I do expect a couple of Ingram highlights before he gets shut down.

I would not play Ingram too much. It is Summer League for crissakes. Still, I have to admit I am curious to see him with Lonzo Ball....this is very exciting for the franchise!

Rob said BI will only play a handful of games, whatever that means. He'll probably sit once the playoffs the start.

Ya good 2nd year players only play 2-3
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Best-rated draft

SF skills in a 4 body. I have concerns about his defense, doesn't have a 2nd or 3rd slide in him. But solid triple threat; straight line driver, moves ball/passer, really rose 3pt shooting the last 3 months of NCAA season.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject:

I like that term "doesn't have a 2nd/3rd slide in him".

He did have one of the best Lane agility tests at the combine I heard
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Wanted Jordan Bell over Kuzma as a hedge to losing Randle.

I also think Jordan Bell will be in the NBA for longer than Kuzma. Other than that I liked the picks.

Kuzma was on the first team (honorable mention all-defensive team), Bell on the second team (conference defensive player of the year). Seems like the Pac-12 coaches thought Kuzma was the better player. Both were Jrs.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I like that term "doesn't have a 2nd/3rd slide in him".

He did have one of the best Lane agility tests at the combine I heard

So this is one of the things I haven't had quite a solution to when it comes to combine numbers, defensive slides, lateral quickness, defensive focus, and motor. All of these are linked when it comes to denying or limiting dribble penetration.

I've seen guys like Farmar and Steve Blake with elite laterals, but Farmar was a sieve, and Blake's PG D was part time.

I've seen guys with slower laterals, but can get opportunistic stops (e.g. Draymond Green switched to wings or guards).

I think a lot of it has to do with where the defender is looking... is it the ball? Hands? Knees? Feet?

How quick is the player reacting to the opponent's movement?

Does the lateral agility test really reflect denial of dribble penetration? I mean, if you look at the test, those guys show ridiculously long lateral strides, and it's not even realistic during game time.

So when it comes to judging defense on quicker players, I just default to the eye-test during game situations and hopefully it helps link up with opponent field goal percentage against at rim, or some other analytic of denial of dribble penetration.

PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:

I LOVE YOU, MIKE! I made a thread hoping for your thoughts on the draft - glad I caught some of them in this thread at least.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
I LOVE YOU, MIKE! I made a thread hoping for your thoughts on the draft - glad I caught some of them in this thread at least.

Honestly, I'm still somewhat shocked with how well it turned out.

And then the Lakers picked up Dozier? Like, I can't with a 1st round pick, but undrafted FA? HELL YES. A wing with physical tools.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

If I didn't have to do a presentation for a 3 hour class, I would have spent the entire time here and twitter, trust me. I had classmates giving me updates.

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Is the ranking based on the summation of all the WARPs? Or is it an average?[/quote]
Looks like sum, based on the numbers provided.

Mike@LG wrote:

SF skills in a 4 body. I have concerns about his defense, doesn't have a 2nd or 3rd slide in him. But solid triple threat; straight line driver, moves ball/passer, really rose 3pt shooting the last 3 months of NCAA season.

Not bad for a late first.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Serenityy wrote:
One thing I was glad to see was that we drafted some shooters, albeit they aren't snipers, they are in improvement over what we currently have in that department.

I also like the theme for each guy: at least above average athleticism, showed willingness to learn and improve, guys that like to pass, want to play d (Lonzo may be a bit behind there we shall see), can shoot the 3, gritty

They are sculpting the team into the image that Luke and maginka want
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Tox, thanks.
But your quote game is off
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

Honestly, I'm still somewhat shocked with how well it turned out.

And then the Lakers picked up Dozier? Like, I can't with a 1st round pick, but undrafted FA? HELL YES. A wing with physical tools.

Mike: I have to say I'm surprised you and I agree on something for once I'm totally with you on this draft and excited to see how these guys play.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

If I didn't have to do a presentation for a 3 hour class, I would have spent the entire time here and twitter, trust me. I had classmates giving me updates.

I told 'em you were at a class yesterday.

Pretty crazy night you missed. New LG traffic record, too. House was packed.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

I told 'em you were at a class yesterday.

Pretty crazy night you missed. New LG traffic record, too. House was packed.

Always got my back

Nailed the presentation and paper. It better bloody pay off by December.

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

What Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart, Thomas Bryant can bring

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers: What Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart, Thomas Bryant can bring
An overview of what the Los Angeles Lakers late first and early second round draft picks, Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart, and Thomas Bryant, may bring to the Lakers.

With the passing of the 2017 NBA Draft, the Los Angeles Lakers attempted to add more depth to their roster as they acquired the 27th, 30th, and the 42nd picks this year.

These picks materialized into the likes of Utah forward Kyle Kuzma, Villanova guard Josh Hart, and finally, Indiana center Thomas Bryant.

Thus, with the addition of this young talent, it is important to look at how each player impacted their team in college, and what they may bring to the Lakersin the future.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2017/06/24/los-angeles-lakers-what-kyle-kuzma-josh-hart-thomas-bryant-can-bring/
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

I really like the Thomas Bryant pick. Good character. Runs the floor. Great motor and shoot the ball. Surprised he wasn't picked higher.

All four draft picks are high character, high motor with great work-ethic. I like the vision.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject:

PJ Dozier or George de Paula?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
PJ Dozier or George de Paula?

GDP.
Especially since Dozier has a bad knee
lakermann44
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject:

They are also good defenders
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject:

PJ's considered a long term project, so expect him to be moved to the G League.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

Some takeaways
it looks like we made these picks based on system/organizational needs opposed to bpa

players seem to have:
-strong character
-transition ability
-3pt shooting skills
-defensive potential

Who did we pass on: I just looked at who was higher ranked on draft express at that position

Lonzo Ball (Rank 2)
No one ranked better on draft express.

Kyle Kuzma (rank 43)
Ivan Rabb (30)
Semi Ojeleye (20)
Jordan Bell (35)

Josh Hart (rank 51)
Tyler Dorsey (47)
Sterling Brown (45)

Thomas Bryant (rank 37)
Isaiah Hartenstein (19)
Ike Anigbogu (15)

Last edited by hydrohead on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:02 am; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1278, 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 1279 of 1281
Jump to: