2017 Lakers Draft Discussion Thread ** DRAFT DAY** (2: Ball, 27: Kuzma, 30: Hart and 42: Bryant )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 1279, 1280, 1281  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got after Fultz?
Lonzo Ball
75%
 75%  [ 315 ]
Josh Jackson
15%
 15%  [ 64 ]
Jayson Tatum
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
De'Aaron Fox
4%
 4%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
1%
 1%  [ 5 ]
Jonathan Isaac
0%
 0%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 416

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Some takeaways
it looks like we made these picks based on system/organizational needs opposed to bpa

players seem to have:
-strong character
-transition ability
-3pt shooting skills
-defensive potential

Who did we pass on: I just looked at who was higher ranked on draft express at that position

Lonzo Ball
No one ranked better on draft express.

Kyle Kuzma (rank 43)
Ivan Rabb (30)
Semi Ojeleye (20)
Jordan Bell (35)

Josh Hart (rank 51)
Tyler Dorsey (47)
Sterling Brown (45)

Thomas Bryant (rank 37)
Isaiah Hartenstein (19)
Ike Anigbogu (15)

I think they're arguably BPAs. This is a rare draft where a lot of players were within the same general tier of talent, so intangibles had greater importance for players to distinguish themselves.

The DX mock isn't ranked by BPA.

I think I'd have very strong arguments as to why Kuzma is BPA over Ojeleye and Bell, Hart over Dorsey and Brown, and Bryant over everyone else fairly easily.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
Some takeaways
it looks like we made these picks based on system/organizational needs opposed to bpa

players seem to have:
-strong character
-transition ability
-3pt shooting skills
-defensive potential

Who did we pass on: I just looked at who was higher ranked on draft express at that position

Lonzo Ball

Kyle Kuzma (rank 43)
Ivan Rabb (30)
Semi Ojeleye (20)
Jordan Bell (35)

Josh Hart (rank 51)
Tyler Dorsey (47)
Sterling Brown (45)

Thomas Bryant (rank 37)
Isaiah Hartenstein (19)
Ike Anigbogu (15)

I think they're arguably BPAs. This is a rare draft where a lot of players were within the same general tier of talent, so intangibles had greater importance for players to distinguish themselves.

I think I'd have very strong arguments as to why Kuzma is BPA over Ojeleye and Bell, Hart over Dorsey and Brown, and Bryant over everyone else fairly easily.

thanks Mike and GT. fyi rank based on 100 top prospect list ,not mock draft.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
Some takeaways

players seem to have:
-strong character
-transition ability
-3pt shooting skills
-defensive potential

Lonzo Ball

Kyle Kuzma (rank 43)
Ivan Rabb (30)
Semi Ojeleye (20)
Jordan Bell (35)

Josh Hart (rank 51)
Tyler Dorsey (47)
Sterling Brown (45)

Thomas Bryant (rank 37)
Isaiah Hartenstein (19)
Ike Anigbogu (15)

I recently read about how Lakers approach drafting, and the emboldened is on point. They have tiers, which they incorporate with their own measures of bpa, and I concur with your summary because of that distinction.

One prime example was Nance Jr. He was ranked in the 50's for both draft express & nba draftnet. Lakers had him way up in the first round. He was an excellent pick, and Kuzma & Hart have the same nailed it on the head feeling.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Some takeaways

players seem to have:
-strong character
-transition ability
-3pt shooting skills
-defensive potential

Lonzo Ball (Rank 2)

Kyle Kuzma (rank 43)
Ivan Rabb (30)
Semi Ojeleye (20)
Jordan Bell (35)

Josh Hart (rank 51)
Tyler Dorsey (47)
Sterling Brown (45)

Thomas Bryant (rank 37)
Isaiah Hartenstein (19)
Ike Anigbogu (15)

The Thomas Bryant pick was the only one i liked for where we got him. I don't expect much, if anything, from him, but at least it was a late one. Hart I kinda see because we're starved for guard depth, but i thought Sterling was the better pick. The Kuzma pick was awful. I don't like him at all. Should have taken Semi or Bell.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

Out of all the later picks I am most excited/intrigued by Kuzma.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

Seems to me the new front office focus a lot on personalities and hard work than actual talent.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Seems to me the new front office focus a lot on personalities and hard work than actual talent.

A team full of Nances!
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

Yes, that's why most reputable draftniks have us as a clear draft winner and it could be argued that we took the BPA at every pick, judging by pre-draft rankings. Oh, and at least 3 of our 4 picks grade out and project fairly well analytically. But yeah, this FO did all that intensive scouting and worked out almost 100 players just to find out who the good guys were.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Some takeaways

players seem to have:
-strong character
-transition ability
-3pt shooting skills
-defensive potential

To say that the Lakers did not take the best player available by comparing those drafted by the Lakers and where they stood on the mock DX and nbadraft.net draft boards is essentially assuming that the evaluators on DX and nbadraft.net are better than the Lakers' scouts. I don't think that that is a good assumption.

--Anonymous
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Some takeaways

players seem to have:
-strong character
-transition ability
-3pt shooting skills
-defensive potential

Lonzo Ball (Rank 2)

Kyle Kuzma (rank 43)
Ivan Rabb (30)
Semi Ojeleye (20)
Jordan Bell (35)

Josh Hart (rank 51)
Tyler Dorsey (47)
Sterling Brown (45)

Thomas Bryant (rank 37)
Isaiah Hartenstein (19)
Ike Anigbogu (15)

I think Kuzma is this years Larry Nance. GSW wanted to get a late 1st round/early 2nd round pick to draft him if he was still available. Only J Bell is better than Kuzma defensively, but Kuzma has better offensive game than anyone listed below him and his defense isnt horrible.

Hart was projected to go 2nd round on most draft boards, but players slip and move up, and he moved up. 4 year SR guard who is versatile and is a smart player is what pushed him to the 1st round. Dorsey and Brown were projected to go 40=60 range which they did. Tyler Lydon for EX was late 1st - early 2nd but went @ #24 to Denver, so we cant go solely based on big board projections.

T. Bryant is a project pick @ #42. Anigbogu had knee issues and Hartenstein had back issues which caused both to slip into the 2nd round.
Bryant is a huge player, and very mobile for his size. Needs to trim down a bit from 250lbs. I dont expect him to be a major contributor, if anything he's gonna be stashed in the G League if he's not traded in a package.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
Some takeaways

players seem to have:
-strong character
-transition ability
-3pt shooting skills
-defensive potential

To say that the Lakers did not take the best player available by comparing those drafted by the Lakers and where they stood on the mock DX and nbadraft.net draft boards is essentially assuming that the evaluators on DX and nbadraft.net are better than the Lakers' scouts. I don't think that that is a good assumption.

+1

#BannersOverBillboards
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Draftexpress gets plenty wrong. They have good scouting videos but their mock draft is not anything special.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
Some takeaways

players seem to have:
-strong character
-transition ability
-3pt shooting skills
-defensive potential

I get your point, but I do not think it is a stretch to say decisions do appear to be made around the style expected to brought by Lonzo....guys that can play a little defense, smart, can shoot the ball, and can run the court.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
Some takeaways

players seem to have:
-strong character
-transition ability
-3pt shooting skills
-defensive potential

I get your point, but I do not think it is a stretch to say decisions do appear to be made around the style expected to brought by Lonzo....guys that can play a little defense, smart, can shoot the ball, and can run the court.

Why can't it be both? They had them highly rated because of those attributes, and those attributes also fit the offense we want to run.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Ranking NBA teams from top to bottom in draft picks

Best-rated draft

Quote:

1. Los Angeles Lakers (plus-1.8 WARP)

It's just one night, but this looks like a great first draft for the new Lakers front office helmed by Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka.

The Lakers got off to a strong start by taking the top prospect in my projections, Lonzo Ball (plus-1.2 wins above replacement player), with the No. 2 overall pick. Ball's projection is so strong he actually had the highest value over expectation of anyone in the draft.

Yet the Lakers didn't stop there. While No. 27 pick Kyle Kuzma (minus-0.7) did not rate well by my model, the Lakers did well to turn the 28th pick into two players who did. At No. 30, the Lakers got what I rated the night's fourth-best value with Josh Hart (plus-0.8), and the 42nd pick yielded Thomas Bryant (plus-0.5).

[Just because you put text in white doesn't mean you can post entire articles. I cut out the bulk of the article as a result. Follow the rules please. -LS]
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

How the Lakers’ draft picks fit with the roster

Quote:
With the NBA Draft in the rear view mirror, the Lakers sport four new youngsters on the roster.

Much has been made about Lonzo Ball and his fit with the Lakers, but little has been spoken of the fit of the other three draftees. Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart and Thomas Bryant bring the Lakers much needed shooting, play-making and defense.

Our staff took some time to look at each player and discuss how they may fit with the current Laker roster.

https://lakersoutsiders.com/2017/06/25/2017-nba-draft-los-angeles-lakers-lonzo-ball-josh-hart-kyle-kuzma-thomas-bryant/
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
Some takeaways

players seem to have:
-strong character
-transition ability
-3pt shooting skills
-defensive potential

not my assumption. in fact, was going to post the as separate posts so folks would make that conclusion.

just not sure that Hart, in particular, was the bpa. i think that Lakers were trying to address a specific need, wether it's a need for a specific winner's attitude or a off guard, not sure if i convince myself that hart was the bpa.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
adkindo wrote:
senthus wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Is there anyone on this thread who has anyone besides the following in some order for their top 3 picks? Seems like I have not heard any other names in a while...

(alphabetical order)
- Ball
- Fultz
- Jackson
- Monk
- Tatum

i can see isaac breaking the top 5 but not top 3

i think ball and fultz are guarenteed to be in the top 3 with the rest fighting for the top 3

as far as top 3, the only other names I could think of would be if Dennis Smith Jr. blew people away in workouts, or Markkanen did the same or rolled off some incredible performances in the NCAA tournament.

Yeah Lauri Markkanen is gonna be one of those guys that GMs who drafted at the top would be wondering why they passed on that guy. I think he's gonna be really good.

He may be being slept on as a potential all around scorer, ya. Could end up the 3rd or 4th best scorer in the draft, 20ppg player. It's possible

Yup. If we end up with the 3rd pick Lauri Markkanen is who I'd like us to draft at #3 perfect big man to play alongside DLO and BI

Taking Markkanen with the 3rd pick would be an interesting move. Bold too. It would take passing on a few SG/SF players that show a lot of potential too.

Would show a patience to the youth development that I am not sure Magic and the front office has.

Lauri Markkanen seems to be playing well, haven’t gotten a chance to watch him yet cos the Bulls are trash but his shooting has translated nicely into the pros shooting 40% from 3 on 7 attempts per so far, still early but he’s averaging 15 and 10 on 56%ts... The Bargani comps are looking silly right now especially if he keeps it up

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Ugh. Too soon.

There will be some solid second rounders to scout with the expectation that the Lakers will exceed expectations

who would have guessed we would have ended up with three 1st Round picks!
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
adkindo wrote:
senthus wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Is there anyone on this thread who has anyone besides the following in some order for their top 3 picks? Seems like I have not heard any other names in a while...

(alphabetical order)
- Ball
- Fultz
- Jackson
- Monk
- Tatum

i think ball and fultz are guarenteed to be in the top 3 with the rest fighting for the top 3

as far as top 3, the only other names I could think of would be if Dennis Smith Jr. blew people away in workouts, or Markkanen did the same or rolled off some incredible performances in the NCAA tournament.

Yeah Lauri Markkanen is gonna be one of those guys that GMs who drafted at the top would be wondering why they passed on that guy. I think he's gonna be really good.

He may be being slept on as a potential all around scorer, ya. Could end up the 3rd or 4th best scorer in the draft, 20ppg player. It's possible

Yup. If we end up with the 3rd pick Lauri Markkanen is who I'd like us to draft at #3 perfect big man to play alongside DLO and BI

Taking Markkanen with the 3rd pick would be an interesting move. Bold too. It would take passing on a few SG/SF players that show a lot of potential too.

Would show a patience to the youth development that I am not sure Magic and the front office has.

Lauri Markkanen seems to be playing well, haven’t gotten a chance to watch him yet cos the Bulls are trash but his shooting has translated nicely into the pros shooting 40% from 3 on 7 attempts per so far, still early but he’s averaging 15 and 10 on 56%ts... The Bargani comps are looking silly right now especially if he keeps it up

As of UofA alum, I figured Lauri would end up somewhere between Ryan Anderson and Dirk. He is more of a Bosh level player...

But oh boy!!! the Lakers may have found 3-4 gems in one draft. If that happens to be true with Ball, Kuzma, and Hart, the Lakers are going to be scary in the coming years. Hart looks like a NBA player to me right now; he reminds me of a SAS type draft pick/ player

The jury is still out on Thomas Bryant. I would have loved one of the Oregon guys at that pick (Bell or Brooks) but Thomas Bryant looks promising as well.

IMO the upside I see in 2-3 years

Ball = NBA MVP level (18/8+/13+)
Kuzma = 20+ and 6 player (bigger Klay Thompson)
Hart = Top 5 3&D player

Keep Ingram and Nance as the only players from the old regime + a solid 2018 free agency and the Lakers will be competing next year. Make it happen Magic
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Ugh. Too soon.

There will be some solid second rounders to scout with the expectation that the Lakers will exceed expectations

May the 2018 draft thread yield similar results
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:

Kid is really good. He’s a trouble matchup for just about anyone.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

Our 2017 draft was a game changer. A+++
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

kobe_somebody_odom wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
adkindo wrote:
senthus wrote:
adkindo wrote:

(alphabetical order)
- Ball
- Fultz
- Jackson
- Monk
- Tatum

As of UofA alum, I figured Lauri would end up somewhere between Ryan Anderson and Dirk. He is more of a Bosh level player...

But oh boy!!! the Lakers may have found 3-4 gems in one draft. If that happens to be true with Ball, Kuzma, and Hart, the Lakers are going to be scary in the coming years. Hart looks like a NBA player to me right now; he reminds me of a SAS type draft pick/ player

The jury is still out on Thomas Bryant. I would have loved one of the Oregon guys at that pick (Bell or Brooks) but Thomas Bryant looks promising as well.

IMO the upside I see in 2-3 years

Ball = NBA MVP level (18/8+/13+)
Kuzma = 20+ and 6 player (bigger Klay Thompson)
Hart = Top 5 3&D player

Keep Ingram and Nance as the only players from the old regime + a solid 2018 free agency and the Lakers will be competing next year. Make it happen Magic

I was pissed Lauri came out. He and Ayton would have dominatedddd.

But year, Lauri is going to be good.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Ugh. Too soon.

And did well with them. We have been solid in the past 4 drafts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 1279, 1280, 1281  Next
Page 1280 of 1281
Jump to: