President of Lithuanian pro basketball team blames team's struggles on black players

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: President of Lithuanian pro basketball team blames team's struggles on black players

I heard Stephen A Smith and Max Kellerman talking about this on First Take this morning, and it blew my mind that someone in this day and age would say something like this. I know very little about Lithuania, but it's a somewhat surprising reminder to us that maybe we're not the only nation with a race issue.

Quote:
Gedvydas Vainauskas, president of Lithuanian professional basketball team BC Lietuvos Rytas, has sparked controversy after attributing his team's struggles to having too many black players, according to FIBA.com writer Simonas Baranauskas‏.

"We've always held a stance that there shouldn't be more than two black players on the team," Vainauskas said. "What happened was that coach Tomas Pacesas likes to play with black players -- to control them, to teach them, to tutor them -- and we ended up with four players that are black. All of a sudden, they came together to form ... how should I put it ... a sort of a gang. It cannot be that way; no more than two black players -- I can say that from my 23 years of experience in the business. Teams, don't ever have more than two black players ... (smiles) Because that's when bad things start to take place."

Max Kellerman called this guy a "dumbass", and I'd have to agree.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lithuanian-pro-basketball-team-president-blames-teams-struggles-on-black-players/
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Only white "gangs" are allowed

Nothing new throughout history really. He is just foolish enough to say it out loud. This hate for dark skin has to come to an end at some point. People can't continue to be this ignorant.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Racism is everywhere. Truly sad.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject:

Wouldn't necessarily call it racism, if he sees a consistent pattern when that happens then that's just calling it how he sees it i'd think. I could see guys of a similar skin color forming closer bonds in which affect team chemistry. Now i wouldn't say that he handled it the best way, just seems like they need a better way of forming team bonding and chemistry, just putting a hard cap on players by ethnicity is silly. It's kind of like when "slow white guys" are the reason for UCLA losing, wouldn't call it racism, just an observation by one man.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject:

Other international teams thrived and won championships with "more than two" black players on the roster. They should find a GM who can field players that best fit their system and team culture. Better yet, black players should actively avoid playing for Team Lithuania.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Wouldn't necessarily call it racism, if he sees a consistent pattern when that happens then that's just calling it how he sees it i'd think. I could see guys of a similar skin color forming closer bonds in which affect team chemistry. Now i wouldn't say that he handled it the best way, just seems like they need a better way of forming team bonding and chemistry, just putting a hard cap on players by ethnicity is silly. It's kind of like when "slow white guys" are the reason for UCLA losing, wouldn't call it racism, just an observation by one man.

Yeah, the observation of a racist man.
gblews
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:

Your post reminds me of the justifications used for racial profiling. Drawing a conclusion about an entire group based on one's negative experiences with that group is the very essence of racism. You know, stop all black motorists because stats show that they are the most likely to be guilty of some crime. Or, because most of the guys we used to see in that show that caught potential child molesters were white, one should never allow white men to babysit your kids.

All this racist idiot had to do was look across the pond at the NBA or any college or high school team to find out that his "experience" has no bearing on reality.

BTW, if you think this guy made a valid point, "from his perspective", you may want to, perhaps, check yourself.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: